Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

The only conspiracy I’ll be a little on board with is that this was all a big death faking, or weird Agent 47 esque murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah reading between the lines it definitely sounds like the sub imploded well before any search efforts were underway, probably around the time contact was first lost on Sunday.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Welp, send the family a ticket for littering and move on!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Trying to look professional and respectable as I'm frantically attempting to navigate my deathtrap junk sub to safety with the Guitar Hero backup controller

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Carpet posted:

I don't think there'll be any money left to pay him after the families of the billionaires have settled their lawsuits.

That case settled out of court ages ago.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Can someone tell the robot operators to get some more Titanic wreck footage while they’re at it?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm hearing that the son didn't even want to go but did it for Father's Day. I don't know if this was covered yet or not, but yikes. The kid is the only one of the five I have much sympathy for.

Ugh that's horrible. At least it sounds like it was quick.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

GABA ghoul posted:

Trying to look professional and respectable as I'm frantically attempting to navigate my deathtrap junk sub to safety with the Guitar Hero backup controller

well you shoulda seen the beta controller:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

GABA ghoul posted:

They wish they'd had that, since then at least they could have shred till they're dead

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i guess they can send a drone down to scrape what's left into a bucket. we'll have a lovely closed bucket funeral.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Titanic brings billionaires to my sub,
And they’re like: glub, glub, glub, glub!
Dead, right?
Oh, they’re dead for sure,
We can’t find you,
With a rescue barge.

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 22, 2023

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

GABA ghoul posted:

going out in style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3_MhrAVQTA

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

Richard Garriott wrote in an email, might not be the most reliable on this tbh.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

teen witch posted:

Next reporter asking “OK BUT CAN WE RECOVER THE BODIES??” needs a can of Campbell’s Chunky thrown at their head.

while being told to open the can if he wants to see what the bodies look like

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
It's so frustrating knowing that the typical confusion of a frantic news cycle with lots of moving parts is seeding decades of extremely obnoxious stupid people's conspiracy theories. We will be hearing about the "coverup" of this for decades, predicated on the banging sounds that could literally have been anything

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I can assure you they were staying cool.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
sadly this will likely deter other rich idiots from doing similar things. hope all the money involved in this bullshit goes to good places lol

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Pookah posted:

Just realized the original dive started on June 18th.

These might have been the worst Father's Day gifts in history

Well the father and son did become really close to each other.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

ALFbrot posted:

It's so frustrating knowing that the typical confusion of a frantic news cycle with lots of moving parts is seeding decades of extremely obnoxious stupid people's conspiracy theories. We will be hearing about the "coverup" of this for decades, predicated on the banging sounds that could literally have been anything

I heard this post was a psyop to make truth seekers doubt that there's a bigger story here.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Trcv0g-3YGc&pp=ygUPaGVhZHMgd2lsbCByb2xs

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

ALFbrot posted:

are there any conspiracy theories that hold any weight here? i haven't really seen any except biden killing them or something?

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I realize the complexities of the search area but the fact that it took 72 hours to find the debris field right in front of the Titanic means that a rescue was never even on the table.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I guess my biggest question out of this is why didn't Oceangate consult with or even hire the people that designed James Cameron's subs? It's not like they didn't have the money to afford it.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1671960022916448256?s=20

Watch as the mainstream media spin this as tragic while continuing to ignore refugee boats sinking or arresting captains helping refugees.

Anyway, the memes are good

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I think npr said they found the debris within hours of the equipment arriving.

Favonius
Nov 28, 2014

trilljester posted:

I guess my biggest question out of this is why didn't Oceangate consult with or even hire the people that designed James Cameron's subs? It's not like they didn't have the money to afford it.

can't go cutting into those profits

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

teen witch posted:

Next reporter asking “OK BUT CAN WE RECOVER THE BODIES??” needs a can of Campbell’s Chunky thrown at their head.

"Yeah let me get out my sifting net that goes 2 miles down, sure pal"

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yes, obviously the sharks didn't go there

I'm saying the system picked it up, the ship, as the sharks.

That's the whole point of the video.

I think the moron in the video was implying that the sharks beelined to the wreck for some reason. I don't know exactly why any signals from the search ships would be confused for the SPOT tags attached to the sharks, and why just Simon and Andromache, but it's certainly possible.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i hate that boats are always called "she/her" it's so loving lame. but also, the chuds who always refer to their boats/cars/guns as "her" are super mad about pronouns lol

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

trilljester posted:

this whole thing is about money that will never be spent not being spent. cutting corners so your corpse has $$$$

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

raggedphoto posted:

I realize the complexities of the search area but the fact that it took 72 hours to find the debris field right in front of the Titanic means that a rescue was never even on the table.

I feel like your best bet would be to thoroughly comb the surface as much as possible, once they’re stranded by the Titanic odds of rescue would have probably been silly.

I don’t think they even had stuff that could make the dive until early this morning?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Zoobtro posted:

are there any conspiracy theories that hold any weight here? i haven't really seen any except biden killing them or something?

I imagine some will fall along the lines of "the crew was alive for days and the coast guard said they imploded to shirk blame for their deaths"

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

trilljester posted:

Did they have the money for it?

It'd have cost them a shitload more to build it for real, instead of the fake sub they ended up with.

The company had PPP loans of 447k forgiven
https://twitter.com/derekwillis/status/1671928642094473216?t=whiHK5tz9M0gJPgVcT-l7g&s=19

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

teen witch posted:

a can of Campbell’s Chunky thrown at their head.

They can't do that since they haven't found the bodies to fill the can

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Sydin posted:

Yeah reading between the lines it definitely sounds like the sub imploded well before any search efforts were underway, probably around the time contact was first lost on Sunday.

contact was lost because the sub imploded and everyone died

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

ALFbrot posted:

I imagine some will fall along the lines of "the crew was alive for days and the coast guard said they imploded to shirk blame for their deaths"

Torque wrench guy was no Angel.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

trilljester posted:

You don't know any wealthy people do you

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I'm starting to think that was possibly, at the very least, a subpar idea.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

I heard the enterpreneurs had upgraded to this last minute as the final control scheme for their welded tubmarine. The only caveat remaining is keeping a real regular beat the entire time descending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

trilljester posted:

why would you do that when you can simply go to Home Depot and ask them where the submarine aisle is