Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Archonex posted:

As a side note, do we know for sure it was at 4000 meters and not descending? What I saw of the presser seemed vague on that point.

Obviously unless they were close to the surface there isn't going to be anything left to find. I'm just wondering at what depth this thing gave out given that the windows alone were supposedly only rated for 1.3k-1.6k meters.

Other dive ships do about 500m per hour
They were in the ship for an hour and 45 minutes
They were thus likely around 1600m which was about halfway there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8i1Ddj1Sw8

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Eric Cantonese posted:

PPP loans were intended to help small businesses pay their bills and their employees during the Covid-19 pandemic, especially given the fallout from all of the lockdowns. The program was definitely gamed, but if you were actually using them as intended, you were eligible for loan forgiveness.

Also Trump removed the person who was in charge of oversight of the program

https://apnews.com/article/virus-outbreak-donald-trump-ap-top-news-politics-health-cc921bccf9f7abd27da996ef772823e4

I'm sure that was totally above board and not so his friends could game the system

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

So the entire point of waivers is to prevent the company from facing a lawsuit because it then legally puts the sole responsibility of risk on the participant, but I bet these waivers were just written in MSWord by the CEO from some template he found online and were never reviewed by any lawyer because he's a dumbass cheapskate.

What am saying is I hope the waivers are deemed invalid and they get super sued.

You can't waive away gross criminal negligence. The guilty party is a salty red stew at the bottom of the Atlantic, but other people from the company could be liable as well.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttz-CzEDXwI
Except rather rather than a plastic tube and a piece of cotton, it's a dubious submarine and a bunch of billionaires.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I bet these waivers were just written in MSWord by the CEO from some template he found online and were never reviewed by any lawyer because he's a dumbass cheapskate.

If they’re anything like the startup company I worked at then yes, absolutely.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
To put it in perspective for people, a pressure washer tends to run at 1,300 psi to 1,700 for electric models and 2000-2800 psi for gas ones. The electric ones can and will chop through soft tissue.

I've seen this myself when a dog stupidly thought it was a normal jet of water from a hose and came out of nowhere to bite at the stream. It pierced their jaw and nearly went into their eye, which if it had would have pierced it and entered their brain killing them instantly. It was only quick reactions that kept this from happening and limited it to major surgery to repair their jaw and stem the extremely heavy bleeding that nearly killed the animal anyways before we could get him to a vet.

The interior of the titan would have experienced an onrushing of water at a pressure of 6000 psi at best. TL;DR: They aren't finding poo poo from the inside of that ship. The inrushing of water alone would have discorporated them.

Edit: Psi, for the record, means pounds per square inch to give an even clearer indication of how hosed those people were.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 22, 2023

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

To shreds, you say

:hmmyes:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

So the entire point of waivers is to prevent the company from facing a lawsuit because it then legally puts the sole responsibility of risk on the participant, but I bet these waivers were just written in MSWord by the CEO from some template he found online and were never reviewed by any lawyer because he's a dumbass cheapskate.

What am saying is I hope the waivers are deemed invalid and they get super sued.

I'm also pretty sure that waivers aren't just magical "get out of all legal liability no matter how negligent or criminal my actions are" passes? Past a certain point of reckless negligence it doesn't matter what anybody's signed or not signed.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

ethanol posted:

Personally as an engineer or whateverI think the most likely outcome is that the hull was shredded by the compression and sitting on the floor the size of rocks or smaller. Therefore quite hard to detect. Even if the robotic subs are down there for weeks or months or years. I’m not sure if at least some little bits of wreckage would float to the top or not but even stuff like life preservers might have been totally shredded in about a millisecond. The biggest pieces might be those endcaps and the legs of the thing / other stuff outside of the pressure hull, which were already equalized.

I should win something imo.. I should get a billion dollars

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

looks like there's an unexpected opportunity in the deep sea tourism market

time for a goon project? do we have any Trusted Disruptors™ itt?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What were the final moments of the sub people? Now that we know how they died, do we know if they might have seen it happening or was it more likely instantaneous?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

king

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Instantaneous

They never knew it happened

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Vegetable posted:

What were the final moments of the sub people? Now that we know how they died, do we know if they might have seen it happening or was it more likely instantaneous?

*chud tweet deleted*

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 22, 2023

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Time for Oceangate to start selling tickets to view the Titan.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I can't prove it but in my opinion the passengers are still alive

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Vegetable posted:

apparently it had a hull failure alarm which probably didn't work since that engineer they fired said that in testing it usually didn't actually go off until a few milliseconds before the hull actually failed

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Vegetable posted:

They were vaporized at hundreds of thousand of degrees in less than a millisecond.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

I can handle about 0.01 seconds of that song before turning it off.

Which, coincidently, is roughly how long the sub would take to implode.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Klyith posted:

I don't think anything gets totally incinerated, there's just not enough time before the water hits it a microsecond later.

The air gets heated up to super-high temperatures because it's rapidly compressed, and the partial pressure of oxygen is so high that some things would start to spontaneously combust... but there's near-zero time to actually burn.
It's hitting temperatures and pressures that it's probably not worth talking about chemical reactions as trivial as oxygen that's reacting with people as much as the contents of the sub hitting temperatures liberating them of all of their chemical bonds and condensing their plasma into ocean salts and simple aminos moments later.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

cock hero flux posted:

apparently it had a hull failure alarm which probably didn't work since that engineer they fired said that in testing it usually didn't actually go off until a few milliseconds before the hull actually failed

even if it did work, how much advance warning could it feasibly give?

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

ChickenHeart posted:

The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

I appreciated this

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

So the crew on the boat heard the noise of an implosion when they lost contact with groversub, but they’ve just let the media run with an oxygen countdown story for 3 days

https://twitter.com/shejstaz/status/1671944064558661683?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

I really want to play an underwater Kerbal Space Program now

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

smellmycheese posted:

So the crew on the boat heard the noise of an implosion when they lost contact with groversub, but they’ve just let the media run with an oxygen countdown story for 3 days

https://twitter.com/shejstaz/status/1671944064558661683?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

This sounds like something the navy and rescue boats should have known about too if they weren't informed.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

smoobles posted:

we didn't find the bodies!!!!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

smoobles posted:

They live on... only in our memories now.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

smellmycheese posted:

oh lol oceangate gonna get sued into oblivion

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Instantaneous

They never knew it happened

I legit think the French sub guy found out he had some incurable disease and wanted to go out on his own terms. He had talked about how fast it would be to die that way in the past

OMFG FURRY posted:

Lol they are about to get a lot of invoices from some angry governments

The_Groove
Mar 15, 2003

Supersonic compressible convection in the sun
almost found this thread searching for my name

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Surely we can find a better tweet to reference ITT

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Probably there weren't even bits of gore or even a red mist to feed the sea life. They just ceased existing in a nanosecond.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

OMFG FURRY posted:

For what? Their primary financial asset is in pieces at the bottom of the sea, and the CEO has disintegrated into the tides.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

smellmycheese posted:

That probably would've been a nice thing to tell everyone you know...4 loving days ago.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Pod Six is jerks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OsteoMcB
Mar 19, 2023

GroverLOLmersible