Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Borg "You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile"
Picard: "Not right now, I have a headache..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

McSpanky posted:

It works best in "Q Who?" when he's teaching the crew a lesson with alternating smug aloofness and somber import, and "Deja Q" where he's copping his usual self-superior dickhole attitude but without the power to back it up, everyone's just so over him.

Deja Q is my overall favorite Q episode just because the humor works so drat well. But my favorite Q moment is from Tapestry. It (arguably) changed my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGvUDvZ7KyU

I have no particular recollection of my first time seeing the episode; from the airdate it would have been in my junior year of high school. It certainly didn't feel like a life-changing experience. But there were so many times over the next decade or two, in both my personal and professional lives, when my first inclination was to go low-key, to hide, to play it safe. And then I would remember Q, in his ridiculous white God robe: "And he never, EVER got noticed by anyone"... and I would change my mind.

Changing my mind thanks to Q has worked out pretty well for me so far. In many ways.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Atlas Hugged posted:

"On the one hand, I could save your life. On the other hand, I could replace part of your brain with cotton candy. Your choice man-who-is-suffering-from-trauma-after-being-brought-back-from-the-dead-and-incapable-of-making-rational-decisions."

"Look, buddy, I once treated a guy with suicidal depression by wiping his mind without his consent. Now you want to cooperate with my treatment, or do you want me to get creative?"

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I guess O'Brien lives in that barbaric past on a daily basis.

A headache-free life is the privilege of officers.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

Deja Q is my overall favorite Q episode just because the humor works so drat well. But my favorite Q moment is from Tapestry. It (arguably) changed my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGvUDvZ7KyU

I have no particular recollection of my first time seeing the episode; from the airdate it would have been in my junior year of high school. It certainly didn't feel like a life-changing experience. But there were so many times over the next decade or two, in both my personal and professional lives, when my first inclination was to go low-key, to hide, to play it safe. And then I would remember Q, in his ridiculous white God robe: "And he never, EVER got noticed by anyone"... and I would change my mind.

Changing my mind thanks to Q has worked out pretty well for me so far. In many ways.

This is why I argue that Q isn't humanity's judge, he's actually humanity's shithead defense attorney.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I've always been curious if the real reason Q doesn't do much in the one DS9 episode he's in and never appears again is because he didn't want to piss off the Prophets, what with Sisko being part Prophet and everything.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
It's because Sisko popped him on the nose like a misbehaving puppy.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Atlas Hugged posted:

Don't remember that line about headaches, but I know O'Brien has a headache in "Fascination" and it's "just a normal headache" so uh headaches are still around.

Also, it may be because I'm largely high as gently caress watching DS9, but I've noticed the same thing about Starfleet officers and personnel just like having open and honest communication, almost no one having an ego or an agenda, everyone working towards nonviolent communication at all times and de-escalation whenever possible, and people taking one another at their word regardless of standing. It's incredibly refreshing and is a genuinely inspiring vision of what an egalitarian society would look like.

It's just such a stark contrast from 2023. I'm always suspicious of a character's motivations or that there's going to be a reveal, but unless it's from a rogue entity or alien outside the Federation, there never is. It's a stark contrast to even SNW and Lower Decks, and Picard especially.

One episode, of Lower Decks ironically, really exemplifies this for me. The episode where Rutherford gets "taken over" by his previous personality, and Tendi notices that somethings off with his behavior. She talks to the doctor, and the doctor is like "yup ok let's investigate" and they go out with Shaxs and try to find him. Never for a moment does the doctor or Shaxs doubt Tendi. She says something is wrong with Rutherford, and they just immediately and without question trust her.

Man, that whole episode just kills me every time.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

This is why I argue that Q isn't humanity's judge, he's actually humanity's shithead defense attorney.

I've never thought of it that way but it was sort of implied that he is.

You read him as the judge, because he presents himself as one, but that's just the way he chose to present that there's a trial. He's oddly clear that it was the Continuum that's judging Humanity. They're the prosecution, jury, and judge. Q is the guy that successfully mounts the defense, by getting Picard to testify to the jury that Humanity is worthy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm on to DS9 after my complete watch of TNG. Really impressed by how they were able to hit the ground running with DS9 compared to the first season of TNG. I'm only about 12 episodes in but I really feel like I know the lay of the land already and the stories have been pretty focused on specific dynamics of these few alien races and not all over the place like TNG was.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Basebf555 posted:

I'm on to DS9 after my complete watch of TNG. Really impressed by how they were able to hit the ground running with DS9 compared to the first season of TNG. I'm only about 12 episodes in but I really feel like I know the lay of the land already and the stories have been pretty focused on specific dynamics of these few alien races and not all over the place like TNG was.

Sup fellow first timer. I'm just in season 3, so a bit ahead of you. It's a good time.

Unrelated, I'd like to think the bell chime in Federation trials came about as a concession to the culture of an otherwise unimportant species that Star Fleet needed to join for border security.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Another DS9 first-timer here! I'm near the end of Season 2 right now.

And yeah, it does feel like the show has a strong sense of what it wants to be from the very beginning, though there are a couple of characters who seem to have shifted a bit from their initial versions (for the better, thankfully).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea not that DS9 is perfect but the first season of TNG is pretty goofy at times. I think I posted about it back when I was going through it, but it was jarring to me that here they were in like the first 3 or 4 episodes of a new Star Trek series and already they're doing the "crew turns into apes" and "crew gets really horny" type storylines that felt more like scraping the bottom of the barrel rather than the beginning of something.

Edit: I think the turning into apes episode was a later season but you get my overall point

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 22, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
DS9 does sort of change what it wants to be a couple of times, but I've always felt the complaint some had about the first two seasons is overblown and very much from the 'Trek should be zoom zoom zap zap spaceships' crowd. The early seasons are very much set in the context of Bajor rebuilding and it's a really interesting setting.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I like the idea of the Bajor-DS9 setting and I wish they had developed it into something good instead of changing over to zoom zapping and hard war men

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
finished up with season 2 of voyager on the marathon run, "tattoo" remains worst ep, second half of the season apart from "threshold" was consistently alright to good, "deadlock" was my fav, "meld" and "resistance" also scored well

I leave you with four words, I'm glad tuvix dead

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DesperateDan posted:

finished up with season 2 of voyager on the marathon run, "tattoo" remains worst ep, second half of the season apart from "threshold" was consistently alright to good, "deadlock" was my fav, "meld" and "resistance" also scored well

I leave you with four words, I'm glad tuvix dead

deadlock: harry kim is dead!

no, really

seriously 100% he is actually dead

"but what about the harry kim in the rest of the series"

that's the harry kim from one dimension over

i'm not making this up

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Eh, I've always felt that's a bit overblown and disingenuous. Like, it's more like the two Boimlers, if one of them had died fighting the Pakleds would it really matter if the other one wasn't the 'original'? (IIRC they basically say it wasn't pre-existing alternate reality, more like Voyager got duplicated.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Eh, I've always felt that's a bit overblown and disingenuous. Like, it's more like the two Boimlers, if one of them had died fighting the Pakleds would it really matter if the other one wasn't the 'original'? (IIRC they basically say it wasn't pre-existing alternate reality, more like Voyager got duplicated.)

oh it's not a big deal it's just funny. i think the only other thing you could maybe get out of it is a short story in the novelverse about harry kim getting back to earth and finding that his clarinet is a slightly different colour of wood and everything feels ever so slightly incorrect and dealing with the feeling of wrongness.

I don't think they needed to make a big deal out of it.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Arivia posted:

no, really

i'm not making this up

Yes. And they follow this in Star Trek Online where the Kobali corpse snatchers revive the original Kim and what happens is a really loving frustrating Super Mario Bros level unlike anything other where the guy simply cannot get a clue that he is now one of the Kobali.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

To be fair the kobali are kind of hosed up and his reaction to being one is justified.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

People keep forgetting that O'Brien is dead dead also

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

People keep forgetting that O'Brien is dead dead also

What happened to O’Brien I’m guessing it’s in a ds9 episode I’ve never seen

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

He died of radiation poisoning and was replaced by himself but from several hours in the future.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Arivia posted:

What happened to O’Brien I’m guessing it’s in a ds9 episode I’ve never seen

Grand Fromage posted:

He died of radiation poisoning and was replaced by himself but from several hours in the future.

season 3, episode 17, "visionary". it's a great episode

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I’m telling you guys, every ship needs a couple metaphysicians. It’s a reality where wacky thought experiments are now just on the job accidents.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Gaz-L posted:

DS9 does sort of change what it wants to be a couple of times, but I've always felt the complaint some had about the first two seasons is overblown and very much from the 'Trek should be zoom zoom zap zap spaceships' crowd. The early seasons are very much set in the context of Bajor rebuilding and it's a really interesting setting.

About ⅓ of the first season is TNG rejects which do feel very much out of place with what the show became. The trick is the first season is not very long, so you can pretty much count those episodes on one hand.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Gaz-L posted:

The 'Trek should be zoom zoom zap zap spaceships' crowd are the same people who were outraged because they thought that the Odyssey was the Enterprise

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Arivia posted:

no, really

i'm not making this up

That is totally wrong, the scenario is convoluted but if you trace it meticulously you'll learn that Harry Kim is the sole survivor and everyone else on Voyager died.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Naomi Wildman's mother saw her newborn daughter die and then was handed an exact duplicate from an alternate universe. I'm sure that won't leave her with any lingering trauma or psychological issues about her child!

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Gaz-L posted:

I like how in Delta Flyers they pointed out that Janeway's reaction to one of her bridge officers dying is just a "meh"

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

There's also the other episode where he's paranoid about everyone around him and "dies" at the end.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
"Prophet Motive" was the first Ferengi episode that I genuinely liked. It strikes the right balance of humanity and satire without being accidentally hateful with its stereotyping. We have now also established that the Ferengi culture is distinct from the Ferengi race, which is the groundwork necessary for growth and development. This follows Nog's application to Starfleet an episode or two ago. Everything is starting to come together.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Eighties ZomCom posted:

There's also the other episode where he's paranoid about everyone around him and "dies" at the end.

That's a very non-standard Trek episode but I love it a lot, because Colm is just completely bewildered for 42 minutes straight.

And the replicants were never brought up again.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

All the torture O'Brien episodes are all pretty good, poor sap that he is

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

One episode, of Lower Decks ironically, really exemplifies this for me. The episode where Rutherford gets "taken over" by his previous personality, and Tendi notices that somethings off with his behavior. She talks to the doctor, and the doctor is like "yup ok let's investigate" and they go out with Shaxs and try to find him. Never for a moment does the doctor or Shaxs doubt Tendi. She says something is wrong with Rutherford, and they just immediately and without question trust her.

Man, that whole episode just kills me every time.

While it serves a narrative function to move the story along (if the senior staff questioned every weirdo thing that happened on their show they'd spend most of their time verifying that there was, indeed, a problem), it does create an atmosphere of trust and openness. Even warp bubble Picard was humoring Crusher's ridiculous suspicions that a Galaxy class starship needs more than two crew members.

I think the apotheosis of this is The One With the Transporter Worms, when Barclay - a known crank and freak - gets the senior staff out of bed about these transporter worms. And instead of bitching him out for waking them all up, they immediately treat his concerns as serious and engage in a thorough investigation in to the case of there being some guys in transporter space. As I've watched the three golden age trek series, I've been struck again and again how every crew member is instantly believed and listened to whenever there's a weirdo thing happening. Too much drama is manufactured in sci fi by people disbelieving the one person who is afraid something is going on and has some pretty compelling proof and must convince people that it is going on. Star Trek basically cuts that whole dynamic out, and not only does it streamline stories but it creates an air of supportiveness and trust among the crew.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Feldegast42 posted:

All the torture O'Brien episodes are all pretty good, poor sap that he is

Yeah, the O'Brien episodes.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Angry Salami posted:

Naomi Wildman's mother saw her newborn daughter die and then was handed an exact duplicate from an alternate universe. I'm sure that won't leave her with any lingering trauma or psychological issues about her child!

The reason she stops appearing after S3 isn't because the writers forgot she existed. She section-8'd her way out of service and is holed up in her quarters just hanging on with the help of what little counseling that ship can provide.

Neelix is Voyager's de facto counselor.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The real job of Starfleet Counselors is to convince people they're still themselves after temporal and transporter shenanigans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

FuturePastNow posted:

The real job of Starfleet Counselors is to convince people they're still themselves after temporal and transporter shenanigans

Nothing like a night of fiery poops courtesy of Neelix to ground you in the midst of an existential crisis.