Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Release the images!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Chewbecca posted:

Wait....did they actually wait until the submersible had been missing 8 hours to call for assistance?

not only did they do this, it was standard operating procedure in event of an emergency

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Bad Purchase posted:

everyone who made fun of the controller needs to sheepishly admit they were wrong now

those blintzes were terrible

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Bananana posted:

I.. don't know how to read this. :eng99:

It probably took less than a millisecond for the people on board to cease being biology and become physics.

KIEFGIVER
Jun 16, 2023

by vyelkin
This has been like 9/11, but its fun/11

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sure the staff/team were aware they were cutting corners and not following regulations, and Im sure the CEO had instilled a "Dont talk to cops" policy as far as Govt agencies, including the Coast Guard and Navy, and whoever.

They probably were aware for whatever reason it had imploded. They were then also stupid enough to talk to the media about it.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Raskolnikov38 posted:

not only did they do this, it was standard operating procedure in event of an emergency

These guys keep it by the book, ya know.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bad Purchase posted:

everyone who made fun of the controller needs to sheepishly admit they were wrong now

it had nothing to do with the disaster

We don't know that, didn't you see the sharp protruding nipple things they'd hotglued to the sticks? Maybe they let the 19 year old play some doom on the way down because he was bored and after a particularly stupid death he got frustrated and threw it - nipple first - directly at the window which was pierced and cascaded into the implosion event.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Lamech posted:

your final resting spot

in this case it's less of a spot and more like a theoretical point of highest density in a stochastic particle distribution.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I love how everybody in the world is pissed Stockton didn’t have time to reflect on his mistakes

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TheMightyBoops posted:

The only conspiracy I’ll be a little on board with is that this was all a big death faking, or weird Agent 47 esque murder.

"47? Why did you just look at the sub from a distance and walk away?" "My work here is done."

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Eric Cantonese posted:

PPP loans were intended to help small businesses pay their bills and their employees during the Covid-19 pandemic, especially given the fallout from all of the lockdowns. The program was definitely gamed, but if you were actually using them as intended, you were eligible for loan forgiveness.

Turns out nobody cared if you actually kept employees on, which was the program's supposed intention

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
There once was a sub off Nantucket.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Chewbecca posted:

Wait....did they actually wait until the submersible had been missing 8 hours to call for assistance?

Waiting 1 minute wouldn't really have changed anything, but they probably should have to led with the "we heard a boom"

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Raskolnikov38 posted:

:stonklol:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

So wait the sub just blew up like 1200 feet down from the surface? Which is 300 higher than it's rating

Lmfao the hubris

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Sure, be it a tidal wave from a meteor/earthquake, or plane that will smack into it from 40000 foot up.
Thing is, it will have to seek me out, as I won't be dumb enough to try to enter it past knee high on the beach.
And definitely not in a car sized pringles can.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Bad Purchase posted:

it had nothing to do with the disaster

just because the thing imploded two hours into the trip doesnt mean - if that hadnt happened - that the video game controller couldnt have caused some other, even stupider accident further down the line. they just didnt get a chance for that particular set of fuckups to occur.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Goffer posted:

Waiting 1 minute wouldn't really have changed anything, but they probably should have to led with the "we heard a boom"

Yeah the outcome would have been the same regardless, but in waiting 8 hours you're just ensuring the remains get distributed by the ocean currents lol

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

So wait the sub just blew up like 1200 feet down from the surface? Which is 300 higher than it's rating

Lmfao the hubris

something something cyclical fatigue something something safety lawsuit

lmao

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well, from what I have heard, at least they did not suffer.

Anyway, lol

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Lmfao the hubris

After 2 voyages 2.5 miles down, with an acrylic window, that totally didn't bend or crack

This is the the Most Late Stage Capitalism event, down to sending the loving navy to rescue already imploded billionares while migrant families drown

Holy gently caress that Chud CEO was awful

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Maybe they realized something was wrong and tried to ascend but couldn't due to lag. You can't prove it didn't happen.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Im gonna play Subnautica with a genuine DualShock 4 because I can afford the luxury.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

ethanol posted:

I love how everybody in the world is pissed Stockton didn’t have time to reflect on his mistakes

maybe there was a loud creak 1 second beforehand

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Issuing a correction to my last post you do not in fact have to hand it to Logitech

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Thank you to everyone who joined in and helped me read a graph. :unsmith:

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

The Bananana posted:

Thank you to everyone who joined in and helped me read a graph. :unsmith:

Team work makes the dream work

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

happyhippy posted:

Sure, be it a tidal wave from a meteor/earthquake, or plane that will smack into it from 40000 foot up.
Thing is, it will have to seek me out, as I won't be dumb enough to try to enter it past knee high on the beach.
And definitely not in a car sized pringles can.

The loving window next to the toilet in the Pringles Can has me rolling, like yes I would like to look out into the black void of the abyss while I poop in a bag, wait what was that cracking sound?!

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Earwicker posted:

just because the thing imploded two hours into the trip doesnt mean - if that hadnt happened - that the video game controller couldnt have caused some other, even stupider accident further down the line. they just didnt get a chance for that particular set of fuckups to occur.

The sort of guy who would use the cheapest possible video game controller to steer his sub was cutting all sorts of corners, many of which we will never know about.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Honestly one of the most based things about this is that the CEO didn’t take out any working class people with him

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

well I hate to break it to everybody but you know another thing that a real professional sailor would have are various recoverable logging devices so people can know exactly how you did or didn't gently caress up while you were floating out there alone . but now here we have Stockton

hopefully there's something in that debris field that somehow tells us it really was the window. I want to know the modes of failure very badly

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Archonex posted:

I should also add that this is in line with the support vessel's crew behavior prior. When they lost the sub for five hours during the CBS report they cut internet access to the ship to keep the CBS reporter from tweeting out for help to the outside world.

Covering up catastrophes is part of their standards of operation apparently.

- $250,000 a ticket
- A cheap Bluetooth Logitech controller prone to disconnects and failures.
- Tiny bolts holding the hatch in place.
- Using carbon fiber for the hull and not titanium.
- The acrylic porthole was only rated for 1,500 meters.
- Firing (and suing!) the safety engineer for refusing to certify the sub.
- Refusing to x-ray the carbon fiber after pressure testing.
- On one of the excursions, one of the impellors was installed backward.
- They "fixed" it by using the controller at a 90-degree angle.
- The CEO refused to hire industry experts and wanted "new innovative blood."
- The CEO removed audio contact with the support vessel because it was too noisy.
- The support vessel knew they imploded for three days without telling anyone.
- PPP loan forgiveness.
- Governments and companies spend millions on trying to dredge up a few techbros while at the same time flipping over boats in the Mediterranean and leaving 750 people to drown
- Active hull monitoring system was acoustic system that most likely gave warning only milliseconds away from disaster.
- Tiny bolts holding the hatch in place were most likely corroding carbon fiber.
- Flammable materials onboard was a fire hazard.
- Ballast was bunch of pipes attached via hooks to side of sub.
- Toilet was a single ziploc bag in a metal box that you cant move.
- Toilet was located Infront of the only window.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Eesh but when I say it everyone tells me and the orgy to leave.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

ethanol posted:

well I hate to break it to everybody but you know another thing that a real professional sailor would have are various recoverable logging devices so people can know exactly how you did or didn't gently caress up while you were floating out there alone . but now here we have Stockton

hopefully there's something in that debris field that somehow tells us it really was the window

Like a submarine black box?

I mean, it sucks if there is no way of ever knowing for sure what happened. That's how the dumb conspiracies start

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

For gently caress sake, here we go

OsteoMcB
Mar 19, 2023

Lol

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

For gently caress sake, here we go

Why would he want to expose himself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

the submersible as built and operated, had no rating.

some of the components had individual ratings - like the acrylic front dome window - its manufacturer says it would be safe to use to about 1,300 meters (~5,000 feet), or less than 40% of the depth of the Titanic.

the carbon fiber hull had no particular rating.

the electric thrusters and other external components looked to be off the shelf standard parts and so they each presumably also had various ratings.

I don't think the sub imploded just 1,200 feet down. More like at least three quarters to the bottom, considering it was on the way down and 1 hour and 45 minutes into its nominal 2-hour descent. I assume the descent rate would be more or less constant. Titanic is at 12,500 feet.