Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quadramind
Dec 8, 2011

James Franco reading Slaughterhouse Five is incredibly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Valicious posted:

I have an unused credit on Audible. How’s the Neuromancer or Snowcrash audiobooks? Anybody is ten to them?

The Snowcrash narration is absolutely outstanding. He leads you in with that masterclass of a first chapter. I would say maybe its the best way to experience Snowcrash

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Armauk posted:

Audible/Stephenson should invest in a re-recording. The current version sounds terrible.

True, but the reader is quite good, a lot of emotions in the performance.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm really enjoying Mr. Paradise by Elmore Leonard, narrated by Robert Forster. So far I've enjoyed Elmore in paper book form, but figured I'd double my Leonard intake this way. Checked out a bunch of the previews, it's wild how much it'll vary depending on who the reader is. And it's so subject to taste, I find I seem to be a bit picky for fiction narrators that I get into. Less so for autobiographies read by the author, since those are like somebody sharing a personal anecdote.

Something about the chill way Forster relates this tale makes it feel like he's telling you a story. And keeps me in it. Captures my imagination, and maybe leaves some room for your interpretation. Different than the usual more polished style. This guy Frank Muller does some Elmore Leonard books on there and seems like a decent version of that more usual reading style, many different vibes. And it's always interesting how much it varies person to person in preference.

Plus for series you're often looking at different narrators for each book in the series, at least for some of the older stuff I'm looking into. But hey, it's cool to have options.

I'm considering checking out the Once Upon A Time in Hollywood book read by Jennifer Jason Leigh, also in a kind of atypical laid-back style.

Also, highly recommend A Movie Making Nerd by James Rolfe, that is 7.5 hours of life story perspective that flies right by. Really cool book.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
The free unabridged version of Moby Dick is really good on audible. The narrator brings the crust and salt.

I just started 1Q84, enjoying it so far.

chaibat
Aug 21, 2008

Bringing back the Infinite Jest topic, I found a podcast called ‘infinite cast’. It’s 2 hosts, one who has read the book before and 1 who is hearing it for the first time. It’s kind of like an audiobook with commentary. They read about 25-30 minutes and then discuss. I’m only like four episodes in so far, but it’s pretty good.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So my current interest is learning about the radical movements of the 60s and 70s, zeroing in on feminism in particular.

I'm always happy to find anything like this on Audible so I figured I'd share with you all.
Sexual Politics By: Kate Millett
Of Woman Born Motherhood as Experience and Institution By: Adrienne Rich
Daring to Be Bad, Thirtieth Anniversary Edition Radical Feminism in America, 1967-1975 By: Alice Echols
The Creation of Patriarchy By: Gerda Lerner
The Romance of American Communism By: Vivian Gornick (she wrote the original published introduction to the S.C.U.,M. Manifesto so was fascinating to find she had an audiobook here)

And if you have any suggestions, I'm happy to snatch those up, too.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 14, 2023

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
What are some classics that REALLY come to life in audio form?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

escape artist posted:

IDK about REALLY coming to life but I quite enjoyed the Audible version of Dracula.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

escape artist posted:

Moby-Dick with Frank Muller's narration is god-tier

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Read that as "Moby Dick with Frank Miller", and now I want to see a movie where Ahab is a ripped badass like King Leonidas

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Ralph Fienes reading Lolita is incredible. He absolutely nails the character of the narrator.

Audiobook of Dune is great, they have different characters for the voices of some chapters.

There’s Heart of Darkness by Kenneth Branaugh although I think that one is better read than aloud.

And the the Iliad and the Odyssey read by Dan Steven’s of Downton Abbey; he does a great job

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

MeatwadIsGod posted:

That's the one that made me want to read more classics. Loved it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

escape artist posted:

If it counts as classic then George Guidall reading Dune is absolutely incredible. I’ll associate his voice with that world forever.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

my kinda ape posted:

IDK about REALLY coming to life but I quite enjoyed the Audible version of Dracula.

I can't second this hard enough, Audible Dracula is a masterpiece.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

escape artist posted:

I really enjoyed The Stranger narrated by Jonathan Davis recently, it fits the character and style perfectly.

Quadramind posted:

James Franco reading Slaughterhouse Five is incredibly good.

I also found a version narrated by Ethan Hawke a little while ago and that's my preferred version by a huge amount now. Just felt perfect all around and I hadn't heard anything narrated by him before.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
Now I'm curious to hear the Frank Muller version but this Moby Dick narrated by William Hootkins is really good as well.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I landed on East of Eden by Richard Poe, got 3 hours in and I love it

he also did the amazing audio version of Blood Meridian

escape artist fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 5, 2023

Quadramind
Dec 8, 2011

escape artist posted:

Maybe not classic classic, but I started Carrie last night, with Sissy Spacek reading. Hot drat, that's a good read. The best I've come across by quite a ways.

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021

escape artist posted:

Probably most if they weren't all public domain and recorded by some edgy amateur on his cellphone for Librivox

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

caspergers posted:

Probably most if they weren't all public domain and recorded by some edgy amateur on his cellphone for Librivox

Something Awful goons need to get in on narrating these. :imunfunny:

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Mister Facetious posted:

Something Awful goons need to get in on narrating these. :imunfunny:

I gave some serious consideration to trying my hand at recording an audiobook, until AI voice generation hit the scene last year and I saw the writing on the wall. Hell, it’s pretty much mature enough to be a viable substitute already, especially if the book you want to read would sound good narrated by Dagoth-Ur!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

A friend of mine read the script of Commando 2 in audiobook-esque fashion, was really good. He's a natural. Yes there's a really entertaining unproduced script for Commando 2 floating around out there.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Heavy Metal posted:

A friend of mine read the script of Commando 2 in audiobook-esque fashion, was really good. He's a natural. Yes there's a really entertaining unproduced script for Commando 2 floating around out there.

Please post this.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kilometers Davis posted:

Please post this.

Right on, alrighty here you go, the first five min chapter. If only they made this movie.

edit: removed by 20th Century Fox

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 28, 2023

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Audible has recently added some audiobook adaptations of "Pop Culture and Philosophy." I'm very happy about this since I love pop culture and philosophy. Also I should add these aren't hack jobs. These are from reputable publishers like Blackwell.

Avatar: The Last Airbender and Philosophy - A series I've always heard a lot about but know nothing about. I might give it a try so I can get this.

The Lord of the Rings and Philosophy: One Book to Rule Them All

Star Wars and Philosophy Strikes Back

I'm a big proponent of pop culture as a vital step in making more people interested in philosophy so this is awesome, IMO.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Audible has recently added some audiobook adaptations of "Pop Culture and Philosophy." I'm very happy about this since I love pop culture and philosophy. Also I should add these aren't hack jobs. These are from reputable publishers like Blackwell.

Avatar: The Last Airbender and Philosophy - A series I've always heard a lot about but know nothing about. I might give it a try so I can get this.

I'm a big proponent of pop culture as a vital step in making more people interested in philosophy so this is awesome, IMO.

I have their copy of "The Big Lebowski and Philosophy"; was a really fun listen.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Humble Bundle has the five Murderbot Diaries books, along with some other RB titles, for $20: https://www.humblebundle.com/books/marthawells-agriddle-and-more-audiobooks-books

This is a great deal, each of the original four novellas are regular book price on Audible.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
The Murderbot Diaries are wonderful.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

NikkolasKing posted:

Oh hell yes I’m all over that LotR one!

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

LionYeti posted:

The Snowcrash narration is absolutely outstanding. He leads you in with that masterclass of a first chapter. I would say maybe its the best way to experience Snowcrash

I second this, it was the first audiobook I ever listened to and it got me hooked on the format. A great audiobook will enhance a work in a way text cannot replicate and Scott Brick's work here is proof of that.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Lumbermouth posted:

Humble Bundle has the five Murderbot Diaries books, along with some other RB titles, for $20: https://www.humblebundle.com/books/marthawells-agriddle-and-more-audiobooks-books

This is a great deal, each of the original four novellas are regular book price on Audible.

Thanks, you just made my day. I have been wanting to read the Murderbot Diaries. I had no idea Humble Bundle did audiobooks.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
For a few days I've been trying to find places online to purchase the Harlan Ellison short story collections that he narrated himself. A couple of stories are posted on YouTube (like I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream) but I can't seem to find the Voice From The Edge collections anywhere? Any help appreciated.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
just posting here to say i liked birnam wood by eleanor catton a lot.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I have lately really gotten into the works of this Brit that styles himself Adrian Tchaikovsky. Notably, the Children of Time series. Really cool sci-fi themes. This lead me into another series of his called The Final Architecture. I really liked both narrators and this author is rapidly becoming one of my favs.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Got David Sedaris' second audiobook of his diaries, A Carnival of Snackery. This time he has Tracey Ullman read the entries from England and Australia.

Funny as always.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
About halfway through, "The Heat Will Kill You First" by Jeff Goodell. Pretty sweet future we got going for us

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Not sure if this is the right place to do so but I'm about to cancel my audible and I wanna gift books with my remaining books.

I don't really listen to audiobooks anymore and I've exhausted the list of books I might want. I have like five, so PM me the book you want & an email.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone listened to a good version of the Edgar Rice Burroughs Mars books? I listened to samples from two different collections and a stand along of Princess of Mars on amazon and did not like any of the narrators I heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Just found this on youtube, it's an unfortunately abridged recording of David Attenborough reading Tarka the Otter, well worth the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSuGxLyGh-o