Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Weekday tickets to this year's US Open were $280 and weekend were ~$400 for GA if I remember correctly. Not sure if there's some price adjustment for North Carolina vs. Los Angeles, but I assume they'll be similar since they're selling out regardless of venue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

BCRock posted:

Weekday tickets to this year's US Open were $280 and weekend were ~$400 for GA if I remember correctly. Not sure if there's some price adjustment for North Carolina vs. Los Angeles, but I assume they'll be similar since they're selling out regardless of venue.

There were only 23,000 total tickets available this year, 14,000 were hospitality tickets, so there were only 9,000 GA tickets available each day. Rumor has it that LACC bought about half of those, so there were realistically only 5,000 total GA tickets available each day.

Last year there were 40,000 tickets each day, no clue on the breakdown.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
It's true that there were far fewer GA tickets sold this year than last year, even though most of those numbers that keep getting reported are a ways off of reality, but I'm pretty sure that the prices for last year at Brookline were roughly the same, despite there being almost twice as many GA tickets sold.

Boston and LA are much higher profile markets than Pinehurst NC is, but my point is that they could probably make all of the tickets $500 and they'd still sell out there because it's the US Open and there are enough golf fans who'd pay that, basically regardless of venue.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah $400-500 was my top line for the weekend. I'd happily pay that for a "once every 5-10 year" experience.

edit: and there'd be no travel costs for me which is a huge help

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Look what turned up in the mail today

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
Bought one ticket for Valhalla Sunday. I look forward to walking from my house there next year.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
New suggested rule. No hunter's orange, fluorescent golf shirts. Guy wasn't particularly moving about, but if he was in any way in your sight line, any movement was eye catching. Also, it was an ugly shirt.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

New suggested rule. No hunter's orange, fluorescent golf shirts. Guy wasn't particularly moving about, but if he was in any way in your sight line, any movement was eye catching. Also, it was an ugly shirt.

You won the tournament Wyndham, relax.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shrapnig posted:

You won the tournament Wyndham, relax.

Rickie's look was subdued in comparison

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Haha, I get it, especially that shade of orange, which I guess makes sense if hunters are wearing it to avoid getting shot.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
My friend got hit in the head with a drive during our round on Friday. 14 year old kid sliced a driver 280 yards into our fairway and didn't yell fore. The kid was crying because he thought he killed him.

Good reminder to always yell when your drive goes into the other fairway.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

daslog posted:

My friend got hit in the head with a drive during our round on Friday. 14 year old kid sliced a driver 280 yards into our fairway and didn't yell fore. The kid was crying because he thought he killed him.

drat, was your friend okay, like concussion or anything?

e: Is there a best practice of what to do if you hear fore? I usually just cover my neck and turn away from when I heard it unless I can move behind a tree or something

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

daslog posted:

I hardcore sliced a drive into an opposing tee box and yelled fore at the guys standing there. When I got up there I started to apologize for hitting into them and one of the guys says "thanks for yelling it out, Steve spotted it and caught it in his hat."

Which like, cool. But like what's the ruling on that? Is it considered unplayable?

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Sliced one badly into another fairway once, right at a solo player. I yelled fore as loud as I could. Ball hit him square in the chest. Guy was deaf.

He was fine thank god, mentally I was not for the rest of the round.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I hit past the group in front of us yesterday. Par 5, they were in the fairway, hit their second and drove out of sight. Another player tees off, he couldn't reach them where they were, but waited, wisely. Then, I got up, hit about 20 yards past where they had been, and they come out of the tree line! Apparently had hit into the trees ahead went up to one ball and hit and came back to look.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

When I was like 20 years old I hit by far the best drive of my life on the 18th. Didn’t think I had a chance in the world to reach the twosome ~300 yards away in the middle of the fairway. My drive landed like 30 yards short of them and rolled up to somewhere within 10 feet or so of them (Two 40 year old or so Italian dudes). I yelled fore with plenty of warning time. They immediately picked it up, got in their cart, drove all the way to the tee, got out, and threw the ball at me as hard as they could.

I caught the ball with one hand and that really pissed them off so they get out of their cart and start coming at us saying they are gonna kick our asses. I told my friend to stay in the cart.

I get out and walk up to them like I’m gonna fight them. And then just run by them and get in their cart and take off with it. They had no chance to do anything because they were two 40 year old fat dudes and I was 20 years old. My friend follows me in our cart. We drove the carts to the parking lot. Threw our bags in our cars, and threw the assholes bags into the pond.

I’ve never been back to that course.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

RCarr posted:

We drove the carts to the parking lot. Threw our bags in our cars, and threw the assholes bags into the pond.

I love everything about this story.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

Look what turned up in the mail today

strongly considering re-naming the thread 'dick-butt balls'

BCRock posted:

not an empty quote

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

BCRock posted:

Sames lol

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Spitfires posted:

drat, was your friend okay, like concussion or anything?

e: Is there a best practice of what to do if you hear fore? I usually just cover my neck and turn away from when I heard it unless I can move behind a tree or something

He's ok. We finished the round, and I shot an 87. I'm an 18 handicap, so that's a good number for me.

I usually turn away and protect my face.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Got tickets to the Thursday round at Valhalla, major #2 for me.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Managed to play 9 and not lose a ball. The score is irrelevant, I started and ended with the same ball.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2023-06-20/riviera-country-club-selected-to-host-2031-us-open

This has been the assumption for a while, but it's official now. I'm curious what they'll be able to do to Riv to make it US Open level difficult since the winners at the regular Riv tour event every year are always way under par.

Around LA there's a constant debate over which course is the best between Riv and LACC North. Having now been to LACC for 2 rounds of the US Open (haven't played it though) and Riv many times for the PGA event (and played it ~8 times), I understand the debate a lot better now since they are wildly different golf courses. LACC on an average day with normal length rough and member level green speeds is an "easier" golf course than Riv is, but LACC can have the difficulty cranked way up to a level that I don't know that Riv can match.

They're both difficult courses just by virtue of their layout and how nuanced the greens are, but Riv has kikuyu rough, which is thick and sticky and massively inconsistent, which creates a ton of challenge for any shots that miss the greens or fairways, but you can't just grow it out super long to make it harder, because it just doesn't grow that long and when it does it's more impossible than challenging. Meanwhile, LACC has bermuda that allowed them to grow it out for the US Open to make it tougher (or at least they tried to, but it's been too cloudy here to get it where the USGA really wanted it).

LACC can also be stretched out a lot longer than Riv can for a tour event. The back tees for the members at Riv are the same ones the tour plays on like 15 holes. They take the 12th tee from like 390y for the members to almost 500y for the pros, but the other couple holes are only a little bit longer. LACC maxed out for the Open added like 800 yards from the regular back tees and can do crazy poo poo like swapping the 11/16th tee boxes.

Going to be interesting for sure.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

RCarr posted:

When I was like 20 years old I hit by far the best drive of my life on the 18th. Didn’t think I had a chance in the world to reach the twosome ~300 yards away in the middle of the fairway. My drive landed like 30 yards short of them and rolled up to somewhere within 10 feet or so of them (Two 40 year old or so Italian dudes). I yelled fore with plenty of warning time. They immediately picked it up, got in their cart, drove all the way to the tee, got out, and threw the ball at me as hard as they could.

I caught the ball with one hand and that really pissed them off so they get out of their cart and start coming at us saying they are gonna kick our asses. I told my friend to stay in the cart.

I get out and walk up to them like I’m gonna fight them. And then just run by them and get in their cart and take off with it. They had no chance to do anything because they were two 40 year old fat dudes and I was 20 years old. My friend follows me in our cart. We drove the carts to the parking lot. Threw our bags in our cars, and threw the assholes bags into the pond.

Lmao

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

daslog posted:

I feel bad for that kid but I'm glad your friend is okay.

Crouch and turn away from the sound, cover the back of your head

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Oodles posted:

Managed to play 9 and not lose a ball. The score is irrelevant, I started and ended with the same ball.

This is a great feeling, with the added bonus that it enables you to start playing better quality/more expensive balls without the fear of immediately losing them.

I started stocking up on Vice Pros towards the end of last season when I got to a point where I was regularly losing 0-2 balls per round instead of 5-6+.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Oodles posted:

Awesome! I still have the ball I played my first one ball round with somewhere, it's a milestone for sure.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
44 putts on a goat track par 3 course is unacceptable. I have brought shame to my house.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ

Shrapnig posted:

Awesome! I still have the ball I played my first one ball round with somewhere, it's a milestone for sure.

Me too. It was a Wilson ball with Patrick from Spongebob printed on it. Conversely, my first shot with Spongebob from the same sleeve immediately landed in the water.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Bought a PXG GEN5 0311X Driving Iron after winning my US Open pool. Excited to see how it plays....as I never had anything like this on my radar until recently.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

gently caress yeah, playing golf on my Ireland trip! This should be fun

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Day two update; lost two balls but score came down. Op Success?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

MustardFacial posted:

44 putts on a goat track par 3 course is unacceptable. I have brought shame to my house.
I shot six over this morning. With two 4 putt doubles from ~30-40 feet.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Denny McCarthy is currently -8 thru 12 today. :stare:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

gvibes posted:

I shot six over this morning. With two 4 putt doubles from ~30-40 feet.

I’m usually 6 over by the 4th hole.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Dango Bango posted:

Denny McCarthy is currently -8 thru 12 today. :stare:

Scott just ripped off 5 straight birdies and is 9 under after 15.

If not for a bogey on the 7th, he’d have a real chance for a 58.

Still a good chance for a 60!

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Scott just blew it into the water on the 17th. Bummer.

Edit: and McCarthy left his birdie putt short by about 6 inches. No sub 60s today.

Double edit: omg he almost eagled his last for a 59. Missed it by a whisker. So close to a historic round.

Aggro fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 22, 2023

T-Square
May 14, 2009

torgeaux posted:

I hit past the group in front of us yesterday. Par 5, they were in the fairway, hit their second and drove out of sight. Another player tees off, he couldn't reach them where they were, but waited, wisely. Then, I got up, hit about 20 yards past where they had been, and they come out of the tree line! Apparently had hit into the trees ahead went up to one ball and hit and came back to look.

The group in front of us on Saturday kept doing this? At least like three or four holes, once they’d hit their second shot and start scooting down the fairway one of us would tee up and then all of the sudden one of their carts would turn around and come back up the fairway. Like, if you’ve moved past your errant tee shot and dropped and hit a second ball, don’t fuckin come back looking for your first one you goobers!

RCarr posted:

This is some Happy Gilmore poo poo and it’s hilarious

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Shot an 86 today. Probably more like an 89 or 90 since....due to my skill level.....I take a mulligan every once in a while. Score is less important than the fact that my play has been getting noticeably better. Mostly due to the fact that I've been hitting my irons really well. And due to that newly found confidence in my irons.....I've been more strategic in playing out a hole.....like opting to hit something like a 4 or 5 iron off the tee rather than my (erratic) driver if the fairway is too narrow or if a hole falls in that 325-400 yard range where I'll need two shots to get there regardless.

Ordered a PXG 0311 x Driving Iron a few days back and should have it sometime this next week. I realize that they aren't necessarily the easiest to hit....but I figure that if I can figure it out....that would provide even more flexibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Shot an 86 today. Probably more like an 89 or 90 since....due to my skill level.....I take a mulligan every once in a while. Score is less important than the fact that my play has been getting noticeably better. Mostly due to the fact that I've been hitting my irons really well. And due to that newly found confidence in my irons.....I've been more strategic in playing out a hole.....like opting to hit something like a 4 or 5 iron off the tee rather than my (erratic) driver if the fairway is too narrow or if a hole falls in that 325-400 yard range where I'll need two shots to get there regardless.

Ordered a PXG 0311 x Driving Iron a few days back and should have it sometime this next week. I realize that they aren't necessarily the easiest to hit....but I figure that if I can figure it out....that would provide even more flexibility.

I would say don't take mulligans once you shoot in the low 90's, you are just cheating yourself. Count every shot and every penalty. That, or just don't keep score at all. Being able to mentally handle hitting a tee shot out of bounds and still get a bogey is a skill you only learn with practice.