Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Nobody knows why anchovies are bad on pizza; it's one of those assumptions that you're supposed to go along with because it's such a cultural thing at this point, like 'disco bad' and 'Comic Sans bad'. I'd try it once just to see for myself.

Fish are polarizing in general, both the taste and smell. A whole rear end fish that you can see probably bothers some people as well compared to like a fillet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I love most fish, but pizzerias always use dried anchovies that are overpoweringly salty and drown out everything else on the pizza.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Fish are polarizing in general, both the taste and smell. A whole rear end fish that you can see probably bothers some people as well compared to like a fillet.

I'd say really preserved fish, fresh fish are not "fishy". The best fish I ever had was in the Florida Keys where the fish were probably no more than a couple of hours out of the water. To me anchovies, sardines, and fish sauces are :barf:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Silver Falcon posted:

Incredibly stupid question but humor me. They... have bones in them right? Do you just... eat them whole, bones and all, or what?

Yes they have a visible spine but it's soft and most of the time you won't even notice them. I recommend you start out with high quality sardines from a company like Nuri. They are "artisinal" and made in Portugal where they take their fish seriously. While the spine is there they do get rid of the head, tail, and all the guts. The ingredients are just sardines, olive oil, and spices. It's tasty as hell but pricier than the crap you get at the supermarket that's in water. Avoid the ones in water.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 03:08 on Jun 21, 2023

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
"Boneless skinless" canned sardines exist, but don't get those no matter how off-putting you think you'd find bones because they are never good.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Nobody knows why anchovies are bad on pizza; it's one of those assumptions that you're supposed to go along with because it's such a cultural thing at this point, like 'disco bad' and 'Comic Sans bad'. I'd try it once just to see for myself.

Dip Viscous posted:

pizzerias always use dried anchovies that are overpoweringly salty and drown out everything else on the pizza.
This used to be true, and may still be true some places i guess, but i think the main reason that you don't hear nearly so many complaints about them any more is because most places stopped doing that and anchovies on pizzas are good now, actually.

Mu Zeta posted:

Avoid the ones in water.
Why? I eat the ones in water all the time. They're good. :shrug:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Even the nicer ones are still pretty goddamn salty. It's not really that pleasant, although they can rise to the level of "unpleasant in an interesting way."

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tiggum posted:

This used to be true, and may still be true some places i guess, but i think the main reason that you don't hear nearly so many complaints about them any more is because most places stopped doing that and anchovies on pizzas are good now, actually.

Why? I eat the ones in water all the time. They're good. :shrug:

It's watery and mushy in my experience with tuna, salmon, sardines, mackerl.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Small fish is the secret to all sorts of good food

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Woolie Wool posted:

I'd say really preserved fish, fresh fish are not "fishy".

I have heard this many times but it's bullshit. Source: many family salmon and tuna fishing trips when I was a teenager

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

DontMockMySmock posted:

I have heard this many times but it's bullshit. Source: many family salmon and tuna fishing trips when I was a teenager

I’ve been on way too many fishing trips as a kid and I’d say it’s partially true. Fish is always going to taste a bit fishy, but the fishiness goes up quickly the less fresh it is.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Bacterial colonies within fish intestines and under their scales produce geosmin, the chemical we recognize as smelling "dirty" or "fishy". These colonies have the opportunity to grow exponentially after the fish is caught and killed, producing more geosmin and smelling worse.

Some fish produce these in greater quantities, such as tilapia, which is why they taste like old dirt.

Ironically, geosmin is also the pleasant, earthy smell we experience at the beginning of a rainstorm dubbed "petrichor"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

People on Magic: the Gathering Arena who take forever to do nothing. At least the ones who do sixteen different things and pause to consider the correct order to do them are just avoiding the mistake I make all the time of casting stuff in the wrong order and not getting the full benefit. But when someone waits so long on their pre-combat main phase that the timer fuse appears, skips through combat, then takes another thirty seconds in the post-combat main phase before eventually ending the turn, what the gently caress are they doing? Get on with it!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
More food peeve. The way places use "cajun" "lousiana" and worst of all "voodoo*" and poo poo to mean whatever they want it to mean, flavour-wise. Cajun and créole food are real, and good, but no it's just "uh spicy but not like, chili pepper spicy" at best

Even worse if it's a european place serving the food

*exception Zapp's Voodoo chips, which the acadiens famously ate on the deportation voyage

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
When I'm walking around on carpet and feel something that needs to be picked up, but no matter how closely I look for it on my hands and knees I never find it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

When I'm walking around on carpet and feel something that needs to be picked up, but no matter how closely I look for it on my hands and knees I never find it.
You've got to pick it up with your toes, right then when you notice it.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

*exception Zapp's Voodoo chips, which the acadiens famously ate on the deportation voyage

I got so mad until I read this part. Zapp's are so loving good.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I've said this before but PLEASE don't offer to do something to help me if you're just gonna sit on the task

I know people are busy and that they're not necessarily gonna be able to prioritize my needs

This is why I didn't come up to you and say hey, do this for me. The only reason you have this task is because you said, voluntarily, "oh I can do that for you, it'll be quick"

"I do this all the time"

When you start to pass the point where I'm no longer thanking you and instead becoming increasingly concerned it's never getting done, just admit it's not happening so I can arrange alternative solutions

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Atticus_1354 posted:

I got so mad until I read this part. Zapp's are so loving good.

I got a variety box from Amazon a few months ago because way up north, all I ever see is the Voodoo and I wanted to try some other flavors.

Evil Eye is good...The "Cajun Crawtater" is probably #3? Like a spicy BBQ, def. better than any Lay's/Ruffles BBQ flavor.

Their regular spicy jalapeno weren't anything special, nor were the dill, though I have never found a dill pickle chip I like. The problem seems to be that NO ONE understands it's dill PICKLE flavor, not just dill. Where is the vinegar?! Just take whatever your salt and vinegar flavor is, and add dill (and perhaps other pickling spices) to that! Problem solved!

I also got a large bag of their Voodoo style pretzel sticks at Costco the other month and those are fantastic, possibly even better than the Voodoo chips. The extra size of the pretzel stick helps it hold up to the large amount of salt/flavoring on it.

And on chip talk, I'm upset that Pringles seems to have stopped making the Loaded Baked Potato flavor.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Tiggum posted:

You've got to pick it up with your toes, right then when you notice it.

That's what I try to do. Even if I stop immediately and don't lift my foot from the spot where I felt it, it's just gone.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Burrowed back in

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

DrBouvenstein posted:

Evil Eye is good...The "Cajun Crawtater" is probably #3? Like a spicy BBQ, def. better than any Lay's/Ruffles BBQ flavor.

Their regular spicy jalapeno weren't anything special, nor were the dill, though I have never found a dill pickle chip I like. The problem seems to be that NO ONE understands it's dill PICKLE flavor, not just dill. Where is the vinegar?! Just take whatever your salt and vinegar flavor is, and add dill (and perhaps other pickling spices) to that! Problem solved!

My secret fat guy shame was I would mix a bag of the pickle with a bag of spicy crawtaters when I was driving and would pass a gas station that had the complete lineup.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Comic Sans is bad because it makes it easier for Dyslexics to read and fcuk thise guys.

It's not even good for dyslexics, that was untested speculation.

Actual tests say comic sans is mediocre and the best common font for dyslexia legibility is helvetica.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
All other fonts wither before the majesty of Chiller.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Pick up phone and accidentally cover part of the proximity sensor on the top: 'ACCIDENTAL SCREEN TOUCH PROTECTION ON.'
Have phone in pocket while on a sweaty hike: 'lol ill call the cops'

(Also Pocket Cast's lockscreen controls has a progress bar that'll randomly nuke your progress if your phone starts firing off false touches.)
Turns out the killer app of having a samsung flip is just... being able to prevent butt dialling by having it closed.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

SubNat posted:

Pick up phone and accidentally cover part of the proximity sensor on the top: 'ACCIDENTAL SCREEN TOUCH PROTECTION ON.'
Have phone in pocket while on a sweaty hike: 'lol ill call the cops'

Ugh, drat yeah.

The one I have most frequently is I try to use music or Pocketcast's onscreen controls, which CAN be used on the lockscreen...but the play/pause or jump 30s ahead buttons are so small, I "miss" them, even after 2/3 tries, so then that triggers my lockscreen to throw the pin-pad up and I have to put my PIN in to do anything.

\But then, yes, if it's in my pocket and I have the screen facing in towards my thigh, I'll get a million registered touches that are PERFECTLY on the jump 30s button.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I've never had my touchscreen register a false touch from being in my pocket wtf are you guys doing

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

exercising

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Do your phones just constantly display the lock screen? My phone is pretty old so I'm actually asking.

Also I'm one of those people that can barely get touchscreens to work even when I'm intentionally pressing it with my finger.

Dip Viscous has a new favorite as of 16:30 on Jun 23, 2023

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Mine is off, but a double-tap wakes up the screen and shows the lockscreen, which is useful when I just want to quickly check what notifications are on / time / etc.
Disabling that would probably avoid accidental touches, but it'd also mean needing to toggle it on and off as needed.

(Most) smartphones have had dedicated proximity sensors since the start of the smartphone era. (My ... 12? year old Desire had one.), that they still can't deal with pockets consistently is frustrating.
Maybe there's just been a major regression as they pushed them under the screen.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I didn't even think about notifications since I keep mine set to not display them until unlocked, but yeah I see how that could be really handy.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I've probably said this before, but covering myself with a comforter before bed because it's cold in the apartment and waking up covered in sweat because the heat turned on while I was asleep is some serious bullshit.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

My toaster stopped working so I went to take it apart to fix it. It has security screws. It's a loving $15 walmart toaster why does it have security screws?

The only reason to do this is to keep people from trying to fix things. The only thing wrong with it was the thin leaf contacts were bent a little from use and not making a connection.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

You know what I'd love? Just to take a nighttime walk without gently caress-off bright motion-sensor security lights tripping on at every loving house I pass.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
And it can never be normal bright as gently caress lights, it's always a massive halogen floodlight that could comfortably light a whole basketball court for a night game. And the sensitivity is set so high that they turn on every minute or two even if nobody is walking past.

I swear my neighbors must spend $100 a month powering lights they don't even get to see.

Combine that with something I mentioned before:

Dip Viscous posted:

As if the dogs and leaf blower dipshits weren't enough, several of my neighbors have installed fake home security systems with a motion sensor and speaker that screams "YOU ARE BEING RECORDED" at any activity as minor as a bird taking a poo poo 50 meters away. So now I get to listen to those going off at least once a minute, 24/7.

I have no idea how anybody around here maintains a sleep schedule.

\/ They aren't modern LEDs, though, it's always these giant 500W motherfuckers. More lighter more gooder!

Dip Viscous has a new favorite as of 15:18 on Jun 26, 2023

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

^ ^ ^ Eh, modern LED lights would probably cost barely $5 even if they were on 24/7. ^ ^ ^

I have a motion light and I did my best to angle the sensor and set the sensitivity so it doesn't go off until you're IN the driveway. My GF actually wants it to go on earlier so it's on as she is starting to pull in, not, like, almost already halfway in, but I am like you guys and hate ones that go off from sidewalk movement. I also have the lights themselves angled more down on the driveway and walkway to the house, not into the neighbor's yard. I at least TRY to be a good neighbor.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

People who are quick to shout "Doomer!" or "Doomerism!" when you post anything less than 'things are perfect and wonderful in the world'.

It's tone policing that's far more obnoxious and knee jerk than any of the alleged "doomerism" that's actually taking place.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 16:23 on Jun 26, 2023

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Speaking of this my neighbor down the street has a huge, bright sodium(?) light behind their garage for some reason, a glaring beacon visible from houses away. That poo poo is the bane of my existence when I want to look at stars.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
A house close to here got a security that will yell at passers-by

It will literally scream "YOU ARE TRESSPASSING! YOU ARE TRESPASSING! LEAVE THIS PROPERTY IMMEDIATELY!" when you walk past

Robot I am walking my own goddam dog on a sidewalk owned and operated by the city, you know, my sidewalk, my precious tax dollars. I am not trespassing. You are trespassing on my right to exist in the neighbourhood I live in at night time. gently caress you, robot. and lmao at whoever bought this poo poo, gently caress them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Seems counterintuitive. I mean, at that point I'd REALLY like to put on a balaclava and gently caress that speaker/camera/light situation up, whereas I'd never have noticed the house previously.