Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

js bugs bunny a trickster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

mawarannahr posted:

js bugs bunny a trickster?

of course. i think the real question is if bugs is just culturally appropriated br'er rabbit

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://twitter.com/GBBranstetter/status/1671969335500218373

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Al! posted:

of course. i think the real question is if bugs is just culturally appropriated br'er rabbit

is that also from where the took lola rabbit?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1671960016306184206

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

I said that this missing submarine would generate Discourse with a capital D and that's a lovely example lol.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
with this and people calling the guy who murdered someone on the NYC subway a Good Samaritan perhaps even the most simplistic of bible stories have trouble getting any message across

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

actually people just hate billionaires, sorry lapdogs

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Loki's unequivocally an rear end in a top hat but Coyote is actually key to various tribal ceremonies
Yeah, I was speaking from ignorance about somebody else's religion. I apologize.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol using biblical metaphors in defence of people who are at this moment as likely to enter heaven as a camel is to pass through the eye of a needle (so they're in hell) is rich.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

stupid motherfucker had "digital Tower of Babel" in their pocket and was just waiting for the write time to pull it out. doesn't even make sense! the Thomas Friedman school of journalism.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
the tower of babel was a metaphor for incivility i think? yeah thats probably it no need to look it up im on a deadline

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

nice journalism nimrod

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

:qq:

The only one aboard I feel sorry for at all is the 19 year old.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
people on social media are always like "let's build a big twoer to avoid another big flood and also let's all speak the same language" and eventually g*d is going to take notice

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

rebuttal: haha failsub go crunch

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

yeah apparently he only went because he wanted to make his dad happy, he was terrified otherwise :smith:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

sometimes class war isnt fair

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

my bony fealty posted:

stupid motherfucker had "digital Tower of Babel" in their pocket and was just waiting for the write time to pull it out. doesn't even make sense! the Thomas Friedman school of journalism.
I detect some shades of Antigone with this post.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Eh. One less failson crashing his supercar into a daycare.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the only part that is tragic about this is brian 182 couldnt go on the sub too because of his sex crimes

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

pathetic

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

What about the 700 refugees who died at the same time? What about them LA Times?

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

What about the 700 refugees who died at the same time? What about them LA Times?

they’re uh…they didn’t make it on Noah’s Ark or something? who loving cares they’re poor lol

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

Laterite posted:

yeah apparently he only went because he wanted to make his dad happy, he was terrified otherwise :smith:

drat a 2-4-1, that dad finally did something good in his life pre-pancake!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

millions of Americans died to covid and the rich did not gaf

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I didn't know this but one of the big nba journalist personalities is partly funded by fanduel.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/10/17/shams-charania-fanduel-nba/

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Al! posted:

br'er rabbit wasn't as gay as bugs.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

euphronius posted:

millions of Americans died to covid and the rich did not gaf

If course they cared. Some of those poor people started working from home, which affected their ability to feel like a ruling lord

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tankbuster posted:

br'er rabbit wasn't as gay as bugs.

Bugs Bunny, at least early on, is just br'er rabbit doing vaudeville.

mushroom surprise
Oct 11, 2012
https://twitter.com/RottenInDenmark/status/1672264376353705986?t=bi4jXIC2H4WXz9h_HACing&s=19

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Al! posted:

i would say no because disney was able to make a br'er rabbit movie decades later and everybody still knew who the character was nobody was like wtf why is disney ripping off bugs bunny which is what would happen if someone tried to make a br'er rabbit movie today

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

i would say no because disney was able to make a br'er rabbit movie decades later and everybody still knew who the character was nobody was like wtf why is disney ripping off bugs bunny which is what would happen if someone tried to make a br'er rabbit movie today

you answered your no with a yes

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
i think its more accurate to say that disney culturally appropriated br'er rabbit then murdered him because they thought the damage he did to the disney brand in regard to racism outweighed the benefit of making him an important part of the canon like they did to the disney princesses

yes i am aware that i am nitpicking the distinction of whether it matters that bugs bunny passively or actively overwrote br'er rabbit in american cultural consciousness a completely irrelevant topic to discuss in the new york times thread oh that reminds me did anyone ever figure out where those bullets keep coming from that kill all these people in random incidents where police officers happen to be nearby

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The hardest I can remember laughing as a child was dad reading me stories out of an old Br’er Rabbit book. Br’er Rabbit and the Tar Baby is one of the funniest stories ever told. Br’er Rabbit pleading not to be thrown in the briar patch is absolutely iconic.

Oh well.

e: Obviously had no idea that phrase was a slur until much later.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

lol using biblical metaphors in defence of people who are at this moment as likely to enter heaven as a camel is to pass through the eye of a needle (so they're in hell) is rich.

In fairness, getting decompression squished puts you in better shape to pass through that needle's eye.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

PerniciousKnid posted:

Bugs Bunny, at least early on, is just br'er rabbit doing vaudeville.

early on bugs was just an annoying rabbit.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tankbuster posted:

Well yeah that's vaudeville for you.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Tankbuster posted:

He did like a woody woodpecker laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

He did like a woody woodpecker laugh

I don't know who Woody Woodpecker is a racist caricature of, but it's definitely one of somebody, right?