Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I had a ROM action figure and a stack of the comics as a kid. I'll be the sucker who buys the $100 ROM book.

Weak snipe. Bring back the Dire Wraiths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Air Skwirl posted:

Steve Dillon could draw anything you can imagine except a different face.

The book showed up today and HOLY gently caress it's huge. I really hope my cousin likes it so it doesn't eat up his bookshelf.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Sorry for the loss of you job! I hope you can find one soon!

Thank you friend, I appreciate it

Ive been reading Accident Man and it’s a drat shame Toxic! magazine didn’t last longer, I can’t imagine how much cool stuff would’ve come from a 90s alternative to 2000ad, also founded by Pat Mills but this time with an emphasis on ensuring creators retain as much ownership as possible. The more I think about it the more I hate 2000ad and Heavy Metal for spending the last twenty years ratfucking their respective legacies for a quick buck

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Uthor posted:

The book showed up today and HOLY gently caress it's huge. I really hope my cousin likes it so it doesn't eat up his bookshelf.

Yeah, I kinda fancied picking it up until I saw a copy in the shops. The size of it, you could batter someone to death with that loving thing.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Chip is a super swell guy. Really friendly and indulged all his fans. We're kind of in the middle of nowhere here and it's rare for anyone interesting to come, so it was a real treat.
I was hoping to grab a Public Domain tpb but the shop was sold out of almost everything, all they had were some singles and the Spider-Man tpb, but it's my kids birthday next month and he'll be an 11 year old boy, and I hear they like Spider-Man so that worked.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

RIP Ian McGinty

https://twitter.com/ianmcginty/status/1665868439116828673?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i8pWbTKAps

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Yeah his parents posted on Facebook this morning

super hosed up he was always a nice dude on Twitter

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
https://twitter.com/MWKronenberg/status/1667563539974746117?t=veNiJ9vVdNAb6peZsKdFGw&s=19

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Oh no, that's terrible.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I just read the new volume of Delicious in Dungeon. This series is so loving good

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/JrRomita/status/1668823142775812096?s=20

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Truly one of the best to ever do it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/CoolComicArt/status/1078180303825293312?s=20

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh, man... RIP, legend.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah RIP.

Anyway how the hell did I not know there was a "Married With Children" comic book?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah RIP.

Anyway how the hell did I not know there was a "Married With Children" comic book?

IIRC, it essentially published by Now in the US.

Something about Romita people might not realize is that he was in charge of art at Marvel for a long time. That meant he was involved with a lot of the incidental things that were used in marketing and the like. Plus he was responsible for nurturing a lot of talent. He did a lot more than draw Spider-Man.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

"Pulmuset" sounds like it would be the name of a secondary Cardassian character on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

the guy from Semisonic posted:

"Pulmuset" sounds like it would be the name of a secondary Cardassian character on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

To a norwegian "pulmuset" sounds like "the gently caress museum".

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

RIP to a legend

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Are there any good Godzilla / kaiju comics? I spotted one at Barnes and Noble and realized my interest was piqued but it had the most hideous art I’ve ever seen. I am sure, however, there are some excellent manga or something associated with such a venerable franchise, so if anyone has a recommendation I’d appreciate it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
James Stokoe did a Godzilla miniseries, so I assume that's good.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

Air Skwirl posted:

Godzilla: The Half-Century War and Godzilla In Hell. Both are good, but Half-Century War was better, IMO.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Air Skwirl posted:

That's Godzilla: The Half-Century War. It is indeed extremely good

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Dope thanks I will look into those. I love the old movies and Shin Godzilla but hadn’t even occurred to me there were probably some quality comics more in the spirit of those than, say, the 1997 American movie

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I think people really liked Godzilla in Hell

There’s also Kaijumax is you want Oz, the show, mixed with kaiju

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

Hell yeah thanks I happen to be a tremendous fan of Oz and giant monsters so I’m gonna seek that one out expeditiously

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There's a new one out where he fights with some pirates that looks good so far, but yeah the Stokoe ones are the highlights

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
There's no Godzilla, but ULTRAMEGA was fun.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
gozilla in hell has some cool illustrations, but half century war is a good comic in that both the story and the art are good/great

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Redman: The Kaiju Hunter is also pretty good

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Because I brought him up I have to show people how Stokoe holds his pen when he's drawing, because it's insane.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Air Skwirl posted:

Because I brought him up I have to show people how Stokoe holds his pen when he's drawing, because it's insane.

That’s always so interesting.

Erik Larson holds his pen like a maniac too.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Frog Act posted:

Dope thanks I will look into those. I love the old movies and Shin Godzilla but hadn’t even occurred to me there were probably some quality comics more in the spirit of those than, say, the 1997 American movie

Outside of Stokoe's stuff there really isn't. Every other American Godzilla comic I've read has been extremely bleh Stokoe is the only whose had any original ideas about what to do with the character

thetoughestbean posted:

Oh man, I hated Kaijumax. It's got these big goofy comedy kaiju, and then a rape plotline. No thank you.

Joe Fisto posted:

There's no Godzilla, but ULTRAMEGA was fun.

Ultramega is good.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

This is also fun, but it's a oneshot

I remember Giant Monster being decent

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Smh Godzilla don't you know the webbing comes from web shooters, it isn't organic

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Gripweed posted:

Oh man, I hated Kaijumax. It's got these big goofy comedy kaiju, and then a rape plotline. No thank you.
Yeah, I definitely wish that was not in the comic. I appreciate how the comic gets dark in some places but... No thanks.

Having said that, I've never seen Oz but I understand Kaijumax, and pretty much everything else in the world, is lighter than Oz, so my recommendation stands.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I appreciate all the suggestions, I got a job interview this week after my sudden layoff last month which has hosed me over and prevented me from buying any comics but if this works out I’m gonna grab most of the Godzilla comics mentioned and then drop $200 on a hardback omnibus of Kamandi, the Last Boy in the World, which looks super dope

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

They cast a guy for the next Superman film and I guess people are saying he's too skinny, which is dumb as poo poo to talk about, he's gonna have a dietician and personal trainer and pharmacist giving him everything he needs to be super jacked by the time they start filming (which is going to be a while since there's a writer's strike and I doubt James Gunn will hire a scab to write it), but it reminded me, I want to see a live action depiction of a Superman who doesn't actually look fit, either super skinny or with a bit of paunch, because the way you look jacked is in addition to diet and some pharmaceuticals, is pushing your body to the point of failure, and Superman would never actually do that very often. Like, before swim suit season does he think "oh I've put on a few pounds, I better go move Mars back and forth a few hours a day"?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Air Skwirl posted:

They cast a guy for the next Superman film and I guess people are saying he's too skinny, which is dumb as poo poo to talk about, he's gonna have a dietician and personal trainer and pharmacist giving him everything he needs to be super jacked by the time they start filming (which is going to be a while since there's a writer's strike and I doubt James Gunn will hire a scab to write it), but it reminded me, I want to see a live action depiction of a Superman who doesn't actually look fit, either super skinny or with a bit of paunch, because the way you look jacked is in addition to diet and some pharmaceuticals, is pushing your body to the point of failure, and Superman would never actually do that very often. Like, before swim suit season does he think "oh I've put on a few pounds, I better go move Mars back and forth a few hours a day"?

Gunn wrote the script himself, and apparently he finished it before the writers' strike.

Also, Rachel Brosnahan as Lois Lane is one of the all-time best superhero movie casting choices, up there with Reeve, Downey, Evans, Stewart, McKellan, and Jackman. She will be absolutely perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Gunn wrote the script himself, and apparently he finished it before the writers' strike.

Also, Rachel Brosnahan as Lois Lane is one of the all-time best superhero movie casting choices, up there with Reeve, Downey, Evans, Stewart, McKellan, and Jackman. She will be absolutely perfect.

Rewrites will probably be needed and unless he's a scab James Gunn can't do them. I don't have issues with the casting I just want a schlubby Superman.