Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, my problem with the Cutter's mob skips is that people will start fighting stuff and not hop the portal, and I don't want to be an rear end in a top hat and ditch them. I really need to just start calling it and the Qarn skip out in chat and make sure people are on board. (That and remembering to say "hey, we can skip the clams" in Sastasha.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Ruzihm posted:

my favorite wall 2 wall pull as a tank or healer is the full wall to wall (and I do mean all the way to the wall :black101:) after the first encounter in the lvl 75 dungeon.

The level 79 dungeon hyper pull from the beginning all the way to just before the first boss. 5 packs :getin:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I remember there was a level 80 dungeon that had a killer wall pull when it premiered. If people tried to pull all the packs it got really dicey and frequently wiped. After people got geared it wasn't as much of a problem but it was a launch dungeon.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Kwyndig posted:

I remember there was a level 80 dungeon that had a killer wall pull when it premiered. If people tried to pull all the packs it got really dicey and frequently wiped. After people got geared it wasn't as much of a problem but it was a launch dungeon.
That's probably the first pull of Mt. Gulg which lets you quadruple pull.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Might also be the second segment, second pull of The Twinning, failing that?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

IIRC Akaedemia Anyder's initial fish section has a monster pull that can get out of hand if your tank or healer aren't on the ball

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Antivehicular posted:

IIRC Akaedemia Anyder's initial fish section has a monster pull that can get out of hand if your tank or healer aren't on the ball

It was this one I was thinking of, but fun that there were multiple dungeons it applies to.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Something that came up today that I realized could be a good tip here:

If you're into content with multiple tanks (trials, raids) and have the offtank role, you'll spend a lot of the time doing nothing but a lot of fights will eventually give you something to do for a few seconds. Mechanics where you stand with the main tank, or both get targeted for something, or adds show up, a variety of things. If you don't know a fight it can really help to stand at the side of the boss instead of directly behind them with the rest of the dps.
--gives a view of the main tank if something appears on them you need to react to
--If an AoE appears on you, the rest of the party doesn't need to guess where you're going with it because you're already not pointing it at them
--Still in range of most party buffs
--If the tank dies and the boss has some sort of cleave, again you're not aiming it at everyone else

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

re; tank chat - when I picked up tanking in this game after having been a dps, if I noticed a dps pulling extra mobs all it did was convince me to move faster and pull more. Hey I mean, this guys thinks we can handle it let's goooo.

Learning to tank was indeed a very chill experience and 99.9% of people were incredibly understanding of wipes. I'd sometimes get into a "Sorry! No, I'M sorry!" argument with healers over whose fault it was. It was very fun.

Olly the Otter
Jul 22, 2007
Serious question here pertaining to the tank discussion. I'm new to tanking myself and want to Do It Right, which is why I've been reading the last few pages of this thread in the first place.

I saw that the consensus here is You Gotta Pull Two Packs, so attempted this in Stone Vigil (mind you, I can count my dungeon runs as a tank on one hand).

It goes fine except for one pull. I grab the first pack and keep running. The untargetable dragon swoops in and AoEs, but that's not a second pack so I keep running. I see a second pack, grab it too. At this point a pather joins the fun, and I think the untargetable dragon swoops by to hit us with another AoE (wouldn't swear to it). I use Rampart, but still die and the party wipes.

My question is, what is the lesson for me here? Was it too much for me to be pulling, what with the extra AoEs? I shouldn't be under-geared for this -- I have up-to-date HQ items for my level in every slot.

The healer, who I know IRL (he's usually the tank and I'm usually the healer, but we were both switching it up with our newly-unlocked HW classes -- me DRK and him AST), just says it was too much and he couldn't keep me alive. Maybe this is down to him being new to the class as well? I'm fairly certain I've dealt with much worse when I've been the healer.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Olly the Otter posted:

Serious question here pertaining to the tank discussion. I'm new to tanking myself and want to Do It Right, which is why I've been reading the last few pages of this thread in the first place.

I saw that the consensus here is You Gotta Pull Two Packs, so attempted this in Stone Vigil (mind you, I can count my dungeon runs as a tank on one hand).

It goes fine except for one pull. I grab the first pack and keep running. The untargetable dragon swoops in and AoEs, but that's not a second pack so I keep running. I see a second pack, grab it too. At this point a pather joins the fun, and I think the untargetable dragon swoops by to hit us with another AoE (wouldn't swear to it). I use Rampart, but still die and the party wipes.

My question is, what is the lesson for me here? Was it too much for me to be pulling, what with the extra AoEs? I shouldn't be under-geared for this -- I have up-to-date HQ items for my level in every slot.

The healer, who I know IRL (he's usually the tank and I'm usually the healer, but we were both switching it up with our newly-unlocked HW classes -- me DRK and him AST), just says it was too much and he couldn't keep me alive. Maybe this is down to him being new to the class as well? I'm fairly certain I've dealt with much worse when I've been the healer.
The serious answer is to be careful in levelling dungeons below 50, since they're often jank as gently caress and neither yourself or your healer will have a complete toolkit. They're some of the oldest and most outdated pieces of content in the game, and they hadn't really gotten the hang of dungeon design when they were making them.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Stone Vigil can be a little bit dicey with multiple packs, since it's low-level enough that tanks and healers have pretty limited kits, and the hallway layout means you can potentially break LOS with the healer if they're not right next to you; I know I've had problems with a tank running just ahead of me, breaking LOS, and being really low/dead by the time I get back and can cast a GCD heal on them. I can't remember exactly where that pull is, but did the pack involve Ice Sprites? They're kind of the stealth dangerous mob of SV, since they're ranged casters who will just keep hitting you all pull before you park and use mits, so they can put a ton more damage on you during the pull than the average melee mob.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. SV and the other dungeons in the 40's are infamously difficult because they're escalating dungeon difficulty without class kits being particularly strong yet, and ARR design means trying to pull multiple packs can overpull you quick. Sometimes you just see wipes, and one wipe in a dungeon isn't an indicator of a skill problem anyway.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Stone Vigil had a reputation in ARR in being the 2nd of the two tank damage spikes (the first being Brayflox normal). Not sure if that's still true after all the stat changes, revamps, and potency changes, but I don't think it's unusual to have that happen in Stone Vigil when attempting to double pull and not having the exact mob layout memorized.

There's even a room in that dungeon that people skipped even when mobs gave EXP to give you an idea of how much people were unwilling to deal with the mob damage in that dungeon.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
If I'm remembering that dungon right (and I might not be) that's not an unusual pull, like 6 or 7 mobs total, so if you're hitting cooldowns it's either a gear (unlikely, it sounds like) or healer issue (which is understandable for a newer healer). Pulling the wandering mob doesn't help, but is pretty typical, and the dragon's fire doesn't hit hard enough to really matter. It's when someone tries to pull the entire room next door at the same that it can get hairy, but even that's not impossible with an attentive healer and tank.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
DRK is also the squishiest tank prior to getting The Blackest Night and IIRC, AST healing can be a little janky at low levels. Kind of a perfect storm.

Olly the Otter
Jul 22, 2007
Ok, thanks for the insight.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
I'm going to guess it was the ice sprites doing magical damage which is not normally mitigated. They hit particularly hard.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Stone Vigil specific things:
- If you keep running when the dragon swoops in then it'll miss you with the breath. The timing is tight and it'll probably hit everyone else, but if you're running in front you will generally dodge the breath as long as you pretend it isn't there.
- The ice elementals are notoriously mean. They're ranged, you can't kite them (which otherwise works very well in ARR, if you have to), Arm's Length doesn't work as mitigation on them, and they never stop attacking to waste time on easily dodged telegraphs instead.
- It's the dungeon just before healers get AoE attacks, so party damage is low and things die slowly compared to dungeons before and after.
- It has pathers. Those aren't generally a thing in 14, so they can catch you by surprise.

You should be able to do 2 pack pulls with a leveling healer and tank but it is one of the dicier ARR dungeons. I'd say the thing to do is note where you had trouble and mitigate that harder next time. People talk a lot about spreading out your defensive cooldowns, but if you know you're doing a dangerous pull then feel free to stack Shadow Wall + Arm's Length + Reprisal all at once if it means you don't die.

Edit: also note that gear in ARR tends to be ... inconsistent, before L50. If you and your healer were both L41 and wearing random clownsuits from various 30ish dungeons then you're at a pretty severe disadvantage versus being synced down to L43. That effect isn't nearly as strong in the expansions, where the dungeons are changed to have a 2-level spread and you often go in with more up-to-date gear even when leveling.

Re: healer chat, I'd say that AST is the strongest of the healers at that particular level. Aspected Benefic and Benefic II are good HPS, you get an honest-to-goodness oGCD, Lightspeed lets you do all your things on the run and cards are "aoe damage" in the sense that you can at least make someone else do extra aoe damage.

In contrast, Scholar and Sage don't get Lustrate & Druochole until the next dungeon. I guess Fairy + Adlo could maybe be slightly more numbers than Aspected Bene + Bene 2 + ED ... but probably not.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 22, 2023

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Another fun pull was the first three packs of the last msq HW dungeon Baelsar's Wall. It's got several ARC mobs so everyone getting multiple dots ticking. Sadly (?) the various reworks seem to have made it less deadly than it used to be

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Hyper Inferno posted:

Stone Vigil had a reputation in ARR in being the 2nd of the two tank damage spikes (the first being Brayflox normal). Not sure if that's still true after all the stat changes, revamps, and potency changes, but I don't think it's unusual to have that happen in Stone Vigil when attempting to double pull and not having the exact mob layout memorized.

There's even a room in that dungeon that people skipped even when mobs gave EXP to give you an idea of how much people were unwilling to deal with the mob damage in that dungeon.

Stone Vigil has had some of its teeth removed with the rework, but it's still one of the nastiest dungeons at that level range because of a perfect storm of ARR design that couldn't be totally removed without changing the game outside it more.

Olly the Otter
Jul 22, 2007

Duodecimal posted:

I'm going to guess it was the ice sprites

Wasn't the ice sprites. I've already learned to have a healthy respect for those in my time as a healer.

Xerophyte posted:

wearing random clownsuits

I can attest to the quality of both my own gear and that of the healer, in this case. I made it myself. (The fun part of being a crafter!)

Probably just needs to be chalked up to "we're all still new to these roles". If I had to guess, what probably happened is the healer was trying to heal up the AoE damage from the dragon, and ended up too far behind while I was running forward gathering enemies.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That'll do it, the number of times I've lost a tank due to having to stop and cast and they get out of range is above zero, which is unfortunate because I hate losing tanks. Doesn't happen as much since they gave me all these oGCDs to play with at good levels on all the heals classes though.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

sometimes you just gotta use swiftcast to do some spells on-the-go and trust your dps won't kill themselves foolishly in the next sixty seconds

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

sometimes you just gotta use swiftcast to do some spells on-the-go and trust your dps won't kill themselves foolishly in the next sixty seconds

is that something you can ever really trust dps to not do

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Challenge accepted.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
DPS does not mean damage per second. It's Deaths Per Second.

Lazer Viking
Jul 11, 2008

GBO

IthilionTheBrave posted:

DPS does not mean damage per second. It's Deaths Per Second.

Report comment. Reason: Im in this and dont like it.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Hey y'all, so I played the free trial for this like 5 years ago, and today I had an itch to try this game again. I went ahead and bought the Digital Starter Edition, which I thought comes with 1 month of free play. But when I log into the game client with my old ID, it says that I don't have a license to play FFXIV. Is there some place I can input the registration code that came with the digital starter edition email to get my month of play started?

e: ok I had to add a new service account (whatever that means) and then I could put in the registration code. hooray

giogadi fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 26, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Congratulations on beating the hardest boss in the game, signing up.

Just be glad this isn't FFXI.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

giogadi posted:

Hey y'all, so I played the free trial for this like 5 years ago, and today I had an itch to try this game again. I went ahead and bought the Digital Starter Edition, which I thought comes with 1 month of free play. But when I log into the game client with my old ID, it says that I don't have a license to play FFXIV. Is there some place I can input the registration code that came with the digital starter edition email to get my month of play started?

e: ok I had to add a new service account (whatever that means) and then I could put in the registration code. hooray
You shouldn't have bought anything and just used the free trial, which goes up to level 60 and includes Heavensward.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

GilliamYaeger posted:

You shouldn't have bought anything and just used the free trial, which goes up to level 60 and includes Heavensward.
I'm not sure old free trials account get the full benefit, I think they're still capped at 35
Welcome back to the game, enjoy, I'd suggest checking the hall of novices near Sastasha to refresh yourself on the combat system if needed, and do exactly the inverse of what they say for one of the missions (about tanking I think)

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

Old free trial accounts sometimes have weird, buggy behavior associating with returning to them—I think if you contact support they can sort it out but I don't blame anyone else just getting the game because that's what I did too.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Well, if you only made it to 35 on a previous trial, there isn't much downside to starting over from scratch, either.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

Yeah, getting to 35 is fast if you aren't particularly attached to the old character. I just didn't want to consign my old trial catgirl to oblivion and had other issues where I could not make a totally new trial account with other emails and I've never been able to figure out what was happening there, I haven't seen anyone else having that particular weird issue.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
By the by, I really appreciate the generosity of the new trial, getting not only full ARR but HW as well.
The old trial stopped at like the worst possible time, I think a friend or two dropped the game there because of the bad string of quests happeninng around that level. Thankfully these are gone or have been reworked, it makes going through ARR much more bearable.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I joined like a week before the free trial was expanded. It ended right at "Hey, we found Cid in a big dramatic reveal, now let's get that airship!" (Must be level 36 to accept the next quest.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Made for anyone at a loss about how to play Red Mage in PVP.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

girl dick energy posted:

Made for anyone at a loss about how to play Red Mage in PVP.

I hate you, and have immediately shared it with my friends

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Speaking unironically for a moment, Red Mage is the first time I've felt like I actually enjoy a PVP job, rather than just tolerating it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

a cartoon duck posted:

words to die by, quite literally

i'm fine with them not doing damage but for some reason they WILL die and also cause me to die with them