Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

HopperUK posted:

I think people who like science fiction will find the O'Brien books easier to read than people who don't perhaps. You're brought into a world with different customs and technology and it may not be fully explained. You're expected to gather a lot of detail about how the world works from context. Some folk will read something they don't entirely understand and think 'I don't get it, this sucks', but scifi readers are more likely to think 'I don't get it, I will read on, if it's important I expect the author will make sure I understand it in time'.

This was my experience, yeah, and key to that experience was that the culture, as you’ve mentioned, is alien. You can see some of the places where the author has sort of smoothed it out for modern-reader consumption, but they’re few and far between. I like my aliens to be truly alien, but in the tier of most SF where the aliens are rubber-forehead humans, the people in the Aubrey-Maturin series are basically an alien culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I should probably get my hands on them. Loved the film and really enjoyed Return of the Obra Dinn which requires a similar learning curve.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I should probably get my hands on them. Loved the film and really enjoyed Return of the Obra Dinn which requires a similar learning curve.

Yesss you'll love em.

The character stuff is just so good too. The main friendship is adorable.

“Why there you are, Stephen," cried Jack. "You are come home, I find."

"That is true," said Stephen with an affectionate look: he prized statements of this kind in Jack.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Graydon Saunders here, finished reading my own book The March North and can’t stop thinking about it so I bought the next one. Also, what kind of goddamn nut am I to eschew the biggest book marketplace that has ever existed due to whatever ‘principle’ is.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Remulak posted:

Graydon Saunders here, finished reading my own book The March North and can’t stop thinking about it so I bought the next one. Also, what kind of goddamn nut am I to eschew the biggest book marketplace that has ever existed due to whatever ‘principle’ is.

Graydon can you please explain what principle makes Amazon a bridge too far for you but not Google?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

withak posted:

Post about it later or else.

This is much later than I had anticipated but, hey, here it is.

It's called In Sekhmet's Shadow. It follows a young woman who dons a suit of power armor to avenge her father and avert her nightmares of an apocalyptic future -- nightmares of fire and ash and blood, where the air isn't filled with the cries of those she has saved but the screams of her victims. Think The Boys meets Neon Genesis Evangelion. Had I been better versed in publisher-speak I would've called it a queer retelling of the myth of Sekhmet and pushed that line -- but that's not really accurate.

It's triple-drafted, completed, edited and, according to a wide variety of genre agents, pretty much impossible to market. Too thriller for sci-fi readers, too sci-fi for thriller readers. Well-plotted and paced but too long. General Battuta is the one who termed it an "anticapitalist post-superhero thriller" and I'd just like to thank him for being a big creative inspiration and also putting up with dumb questions like 'how does pacing work?' Go read Baru, and pre-order Exordia.

I'm bad at marketing, so, I'm just going to list off random thoughts. It's a novel about superheroes in the sense that Blindsight is a novel about vampires. An editor said I have the sensibilities of Zack Snyder directing an arthouse film. If you liked Gideon the Ninth, you might like the relationship between Sabra and Revenant. If you like your worldbuilding in inferences and allusions, then you'll be happy because I was asked to include less of those and more infodumps. There's a Zybourne Clock reference by the third chapter. The most cutting remark I got over the past year or so was 'the strength of your concept is not matched by the strength of your prose.' Tommy Arnold did the cover art and he's a wonderful dude to work with. As I said ages ago: we're asking the big questions like "Can superheroes reconcile the contradictions within capital and themselves? DOES power corrupt? Is it gay if you're a woman and she's a goth-rock robot?" It's a novel about saving the world when the status quo is the bad guy. "It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism."

I'll be putting up a chapter every day at the following link, but the first six are up now. If you would prefer an ebook, that'll be soon after it wraps up (so, in about two months.) But I'd really rather give people an opportunity to just read it. Blurb below:

quote:

The year is 2061, and the world has ended. In the city of Asclepion, Sabra Kasembe dreams of a superheroic future yet wakes to the taste of blood and ash. When her father is shot six times in a heist gone wrong, she resolves to bring those responsible to justice—no matter where the trail might lead.

To do this, she'll need to team up with a washed-up superhero, a brooding robotic woman, and the very man who shot her father. Because he is her only link to a conspiracy that threatens to shake the Functioning World to its core. But it may be impossible to save a world on the brink of apocalypse without pushing it over the edge. As her reckoning approaches, Sabra realizes that her future may not be filled not with the cries of those she's saved, but the screams of her victims...

IN SEKHMET'S SHADOW is a post-superhero sci-fi thriller updating every day until completion, and first of a trilogy (IN SEKHMET'S WAKE, IN SEKHMET'S HANDS.) It is intended for mature audiences and features violence, swearing, and ideas that may be considered traumatic or provocative. But remember this: everyone finds love in the end.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 22, 2023

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Boats. . . .are technology

USS Enterprise, HMS Suprise, it's just a syllable apart

The advanced technology is so lovingly described and everything in the story depends on it. Also one of the main POV characters is an outsider to this technology while the other is very much an insider. Thus providing contrasting perspectives.

(The advanced technology in this case is circa-1800 sailing ships.)

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
So I was recommended Babel by RF Kuang. They said that if I liked Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, this would be up my alley. I did like JS&MN: I loved the first third, then the later parts dragged a bit by comparison, but overall the style and prose was good fun. I have mixed thoughts about Babel, but noticed the writing was way less sophisticated than JS&MR. It felt like YA, but it's marketed to adults. There is simply no comparison to JS&MN in terms of the prose.

This is not the first time I've run into this. I think "let's try read some SF published recently" and find that the stuff being marketed to adults and winning awards is written at a 6th grade reading level. So please tell me - who is writing and publishing sophisticated SF these days? Who is today's Gene Wolfe?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

In Sekhmet's Shadow.

<snip>

It's triple-drafted, completed, edited and, according to a wide variety of genre agents, pretty much impossible to market. Too thriller for sci-fi readers, too sci-fi for thriller readers. Well-plotted and paced but too long.

<snip>

Tommy Arnold did the cover art and he's a wonderful dude to work with.

<snip>

If you would prefer an ebook, that'll be soon after it wraps up (so, in about two months.) But I'd really rather give people an opportunity to just read it.

Congrats on publication!

You should have the right timing to enter it in the Self-Published Sci-fi Competition (SPSFC, the sci-fi counterpart to the more established Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off/SPFBO): https://thespsfc.org/competition-dates/

And especially with a Tommy Arnold cover, I'd say you'd have a good shot in the cover contest, except they might not have one for 2023 thanks to the AI cover controversy for SPFBO.

Anyway, I just read the first chapter and I'm enjoying it, but I am one of those who wants an ebook instead of reading it on Royal Road. Please let us know when you've got one out!

Edit:

Jimbozig posted:

So I was recommended Babel by RF Kuang. They said that if I liked Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, this would be up my alley. I did like JS&MN: I loved the first third, then the later parts dragged a bit by comparison, but overall the style and prose was good fun. I have mixed thoughts about Babel, but noticed the writing was way less sophisticated than JS&MR. It felt like YA, but it's marketed to adults. There is simply no comparison to JS&MN in terms of the prose.

Oh no. This is on my shelf right now and I wasn't exactly thrilled to jump in but now I'm really not sure if I want to start.

Leng fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 22, 2023

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Leng posted:

You should have the right timing to enter it in the Self-Published Sci-fi Competition (SPSFC, the sci-fi counterpart to the more established Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off/SPFBO): https://thespsfc.org/competition-dates/

And especially with a Tommy Arnold cover, I'd say you'd have a good shot in the cover contest, except they might not have one for 2023 thanks to the AI cover controversy for SPFBO.

Anyway, I just read the first chapter and I'm enjoying it, but I am one of those who wants an ebook instead of reading it on Royal Road. Please let us know when you've got one out!

Oh, neat! Thanks for the heads-up!

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 22, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jimbozig posted:

Who is today's Gene Wolfe?
John Crowley. Well, he's still alive at least.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

This is much later than I had anticipated but, hey, here it is. :words:
This is one of those descriptions that I'm kind of conflicted on, because it sounds extremely my poo poo, but it also drops as its closest points of comparison three works that I absolutely did not enjoy (The Boys, Evangelion, and Blindsight) and, with the exception of Blindsight, did not even finish.

I like what I see of the first chapter, though, so I'll load it onto my e-reader and check it out once it's finished -- thank you for posting it!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jimbozig posted:

This is not the first time I've run into this. I think "let's try read some SF published recently" and find that the stuff being marketed to adults and winning awards is written at a 6th grade reading level. So please tell me - who is writing and publishing sophisticated SF these days? Who is today's Gene Wolfe?

Brandon Sande- *snerk* sorry, couldn't resist.

Try https://blackforestbasilisks.com/2019/12/19/a-love-letter-to-imaginary-worlds-the-prose-of-science-fiction-and-fantasy/

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Jimbozig posted:

Tamsyn Muir?

I mean, the prose ranges from Gormenghast to a teenager dropping dank memes on Reddit, but it does so with intention and skill. There's also plenty of unreliable narrator and mystery.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I don't like everywhere she takes it but Ada Palmer is a very dense and clever writer in TOO LIKE THE LIGHTNING + sequels. And consciously Wolfe inspired.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Leng posted:

Oh no. This is on my shelf right now and I wasn't exactly thrilled to jump in but now I'm really not sure if I want to start.

Read Babel. The interesting bit in Babel is how magic relates to colonialism, which is given a fairy sophisticated portrayal.

Regarding reading levels as a marker for prose quality, I can’t help but wonder what reading level most Hemingway is at.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

Read Babel. The interesting bit in Babel is how magic relates to colonialism, which is given a fairy sophisticated portrayal.

Regarding reading levels as a marker for prose quality, I can’t help but wonder what reading level most Hemingway is at.

Annoyingly, there is now a tool for judging reading level called “Hemingway”. Seems that his work is judged to be between 4th and 6th grade level tho.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Tamsyn Muir?

I mean, the prose ranges from Gormenghast to a teenager dropping dank memes on Reddit, but it does so with intention and skill. There's also plenty of unreliable narrator and mystery.
Oh, I'm already on that train! I thought Nona was a little bit of a step down, but Gideon was top notch and Harrow was almost as good, so I'm still excited for Alecto when it comes out.

General Battuta posted:

I don't like everywhere she takes it but Ada Palmer is a very dense and clever writer in TOO LIKE THE LIGHTNING + sequels. And consciously Wolfe inspired.
This is not the first time she's been recommended to me, so I'm going to bump her up my list.

ulmont posted:

Yeah, I think Babel was really interesting in exactly the way you say. I wasn't trying to discourage anyone from reading it. I grated against it for a good chunk of the book because it wasn't what I thought I had signed up for. I thought from what I had read beforehand that I was getting something like Susanna Clarke and I really really wasn't, at all.

Once I got with the program, I spent the next chunk of the book anxious that the plot and resolution were going to be simplistic nonsense, but that anxiety was not justified. She did a good job at what she set out to do, which was writing a book that you could hand to a bright 13 year old and they would come away with a sense of what colonialism is and how it works and some of the problems with pat simplistic answers for how to fix the system, all grounded in the reality of what empire does to those who resist it and those who go along with it.

It also has good pacing and I was always keen to find time to pick it up and keep reading. That's pretty basic but if a book fails that, the rest doesn't really matter.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

HopperUK posted:

I think people who like science fiction will find the O'Brien books easier to read than people who don't perhaps. You're brought into a world with different customs and technology and it may not be fully explained. You're expected to gather a lot of detail about how the world works from context. Some folk will read something they don't entirely understand and think 'I don't get it, this sucks', but scifi readers are more likely to think 'I don't get it, I will read on, if it's important I expect the author will make sure I understand it in time'.

I kind of went this way as a young child who liked old children's novels - I devoured and loved the Swallows and Amazons series, everything by E. Nesbit, etc., and got accused of being too old-fashioned in my reading tastes. But decoding now-changed social mores from context seemed very similar to understanding the society and technology in Asimov and Arthur C. Clark stories.

I also remember being prevented from reading a girl's school story by a teacher who said I (as a boy) "wouldn't be able to empathise with the characters". Despite the fact I was allowed to read SF stories and knew no space explorers or robots, but fully half the people I did know were female.

(Nowadays, as an old-rear end man, thanks to PG, archive.org, and Amazon I can read almost anything I like, and rather resent being deprived of some really good storytelling in my youth. Boy, can Angela Brazil describe the misery of being an outsider.)

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Awkward Davies posted:

Annoyingly, there is now a tool for judging reading level called “Hemingway”. Seems that his work is judged to be between 4th and 6th grade level tho.

"Reading level" is definitely a metric that breaks down pretty quickly if you try to use it beyond "would an average child in X grade be able to understand most of the vocabulary in this work and get the basic gist of what's happening." Even if a kid can read something fluently, it doesn't mean they necessarily have the full context/experience to 'get' the work itself (I'm sure there are exceptions, but I'd wager that most 9-year-olds aren't going to be engrossed by Hemmingway the way adults who enjoy his stuff are, even if they're able to read it easily enough).

I'm guessing the original post about it meant more that Babel is written in a :can: "YA-style" :can: which I'd say is more of a style/structure thing than a reading level thing, though they can sort of overlap with each other with stuff aimed at younger audiences. (FWIW, I have only read the first Poppy War book by Kuang and if Babel is at all close to that, I'd put it in the YA-style nebula too.)

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

DurianGray posted:

"Reading level" is definitely a metric that breaks down pretty quickly if you try to use it beyond "would an average child in X grade be able to understand most of the vocabulary in this work and get the basic gist of what's happening." Even if a kid can read something fluently, it doesn't mean they necessarily have the full context/experience to 'get' the work itself (I'm sure there are exceptions, but I'd wager that most 9-year-olds aren't going to be engrossed by Hemmingway the way adults who enjoy his stuff are, even if they're able to read it easily enough).

I read The Old Man and the Sea for a book report in 5th grade because it was on the Reading List and fairly short (127pp.) All I got out of it at the time was "Sharks bite (literally) and suck. Good for the old dude for killing some of them. He brought the skeleton home so happy ending?"

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

DurianGray posted:

Absolutely run into this with my kid, she reads several grades above and if we go by "can read" we get a lot of boyfriends girlfriends and backbiting teenage BS, which isn't where she is. We also get stuff like Bea Wolf, which was awesome and she enjoyed, but didn't "appreciate".

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Jimbozig posted:

Oh, I'm already on that train! I thought Nona was a little bit of a step down, but Gideon was top notch and Harrow was almost as good, so I'm still excited for Alecto when it comes out.

This is not the first time she's been recommended to me, so I'm going to bump her up my list.

Yeah I think you'd enjoy Too Like the Lightning. Note that it's written in a style meant to somewhat emulate Renaissance history primary sources (but in English), which is surprisingly readable most of the time, but can also drag a bit. There are also a lot of segues into politics, philosophy, etc. It's Very Nerdy.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Hobnob posted:

I also remember being prevented from reading a girl's school story by a teacher who said I (as a boy) "wouldn't be able to empathise with the characters". Despite the fact I was allowed to read SF stories and knew no space explorers or robots, but fully half the people I did know were female.
I think the average person who grew up in the last hundred years knew more adult women than adult men in their childhood (because teaching is skewed female, thanks patriarchy) so it might even have been more than half!

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Jimbozig posted:

So please tell me - who is writing and publishing sophisticated SF these days? Who is today's Gene Wolfe?

In addition to Ada Palmer, I'd give a look at Amal El-Mohtar/Max Gladstone's "This Is How You Lose The Time War" for prose.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Hobnob posted:

I kind of went this way as a young child who liked old children's novels - I devoured and loved the Swallows and Amazons series, everything by E. Nesbit, etc., and got accused of being too old-fashioned in my reading tastes. But decoding now-changed social mores from context seemed very similar to understanding the society and technology in Asimov and Arthur C. Clark stories.

(Nowadays, as an old-rear end man, thanks to PG, archive.org, and Amazon I can read almost anything I like, and rather resent being deprived of some really good storytelling in my youth. Boy, can Angela Brazil describe the misery of being an outsider.)

Yeah this is a good comparison. I never had to struggle too hard as a kid reading Victorian kids' books. You just work it out as you go along.

Man maybe it's time to read What Katy Did again.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Hobnob posted:

My sister and I were voracious readers and probably read as much of each other's Babysitter's Club and Forgotten Realms novels as we did anything else growing up. Didn't bother the family at least, who were happy we were keeping busy and quiet.

Then when I moved years ago my young niece was helping us and got into one of the boxes and asked why I had "girl's books" in my library. It was some Kushiel's Dart books, she was just judging based on the covers. "Oh thats just the cover art, you wouldn't like those."

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Jimbozig posted:

If you haven't read Susanna Clarke's Piranesi, then you should give that a go — much, much shorter than JS&MN, very different, but the prose is absolutely gorgeous and I enjoyed it at least as much as JS&MN.

I'm about to start reading Deep Wheel Orcadia, which is a verse novel written by Orcadian poet Harry Josephine Giles. I have no thoughts on it yet, but I'm assured it's very, very literary.

Looking through my bookshelf, you might enjoy Elizabeth Knox's The Absolute Book. She's one of those authors who the Literary World loves to say isn't actually writing genre because she's actually writing Capital L Literature, which is horseshit but she is definitely writing in a much more literary register than most SFF that gets published. David Mitchell gets lumped into that category a bit too, so if you haven't read The Bone Clocks or Cloud Atlas, you might get a kick out of those too.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Jimbozig posted:

NK Jemisin’s Broken Earth trilogy? Echoing Ada Palmer as well. But the best SF isn’t marketed as SF. Here’s the best written stuff I’ve come across:

Kazuo Ishiguro’s last three books - Never Let Me Go, The Buried Giant, and Klara and the Sun - are pure SF and have won various mainstream awards.

Iain Reid’s last two - Foe and We Spread (maybe more horror than SF)

The Book of Strange New Things - Michael Faber
Under the Skin - Michael Faber

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
*double-checks thread*. I guess by Babel you don't mean Isaac Babel?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I just read Babel recently. I felt about as disappointed with it as I did with her debut, The Poppy War. Interesting ideas, lots of research, but ultimately quite a boring execution with thin characters. And absolutely zero subtlety or trust in the reader to come to their own conclusions.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

I read all the Poppy War books and came away feeling like it was a waste of a premise on boring writing.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Metis of the Hallway posted:

I just read Babel recently. I felt about as disappointed with it as I did with her debut, The Poppy War. Interesting ideas, lots of research, but ultimately quite a boring execution with thin characters. And absolutely zero subtlety or trust in the reader to come to their own conclusions.

i stayed away, despite the reviews after ready the first two in the poppy war. Similar to Megan E O'Keefe, great reviews, boring reads.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

OddObserver posted:

*double-checks thread*. I guess by Babel you don't mean Isaac Babel?
until this post I did not think of anything but Delaney's Babel-17 so thanks for this post I guess

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

There was a lot I found deeply irritating about Babel, but the one thing that sums it up for me is the bit where a student at Oxford in 1830-something uses the phrase "narco-military state". If everyone sounds like an American grad student circa 2020, I don't think you get to go on about how well-researched and realistic the novel is.

Everything else I hated about it is sort of along those lines, but I think that's the most useful single example to illustrate why. The ultimate combination of modern sensibilities, bland writing, and aversion to subtlety.

Edit: As much as I generally hate Goodreads reviews, I thought this review was spot-on.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 23, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

General Battuta posted:

also a generally really cool woman

she has terminal Renaissance history brain, what with being a respected professor about it at the university of chicago

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

DurianGray posted:

I'm guessing the original post about it meant more that Babel is written in a :can: "YA-style" :can: which I'd say is more of a style/structure thing than a reading level thing, though they can sort of overlap with each other with stuff aimed at younger audiences. (FWIW, I have only read the first Poppy War book by Kuang and if Babel is at all close to that, I'd put it in the YA-style nebula too.)

I just recently (barely) finished Black Water Sister by Zen Cho and I genuinely think the book would have been improved in every way if it had been rewritten as first person present YA and the protagonist aged down to somewhere between 14-16 instead of aiming for an adult audience.

ulmont posted:

Jimbozig posted:

Yeah, I think Babel was really interesting in exactly the way you say. I wasn't trying to discourage anyone from reading it. I grated against it for a good chunk of the book because it wasn't what I thought I had signed up for. I thought from what I had read beforehand that I was getting something like Susanna Clarke and I really really wasn't, at all.

Once I got with the program, I spent the next chunk of the book anxious that the plot and resolution were going to be simplistic nonsense, but that anxiety was not justified. She did a good job at what she set out to do, which was writing a book that you could hand to a bright 13 year old and they would come away with a sense of what colonialism is and how it works and some of the problems with pat simplistic answers for how to fix the system, all grounded in the reality of what empire does to those who resist it and those who go along with it.

It also has good pacing and I was always keen to find time to pick it up and keep reading. That's pretty basic but if a book fails that, the rest doesn't really matter.

zerofiend posted:

I read all the Poppy War books and came away feeling like it was a waste of a premise on boring writing.

cptn_dr posted:

There was a lot I found deeply irritating about Babel, but the one thing that sums it up for me is the bit where a student at Oxford in 1830-something uses the phrase "narco-military state". If everyone sounds like an American grad student circa 2020, I don't think you get to go on about how well-researched and realistic the novel is.

Everything else I hated about it is sort of along those lines, but I think that's the most useful single example to illustrate why. The ultimate combination of modern sensibilities, bland writing, and aversion to subtlety.

Edit: As much as I generally hate Goodreads reviews, I thought this review was spot-on.

Okay I will read Babel and report back. Because the other alternative is A Day of Fallen Night and I haven't had a great track record with second books that follow up initially overhyped books.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

cptn_dr posted:

I can't remember the last time a review made me hate a book and the reviewer so much. Babel sounds loving intolerable, so, good job reviewer. On the other hand, you wrote 1500 words that were well-considered, not shitposting, about this bad book, but capitalizing even a single one of those words was apparently a bridge too far?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Kestral posted:

I can't remember the last time a review made me hate a book and the reviewer so much. Babel sounds loving intolerable, so, good job reviewer. On the other hand, you wrote 1500 words that were well-considered, not shitposting, about this bad book, but capitalizing even a single one of those words was apparently a bridge too far?

that's right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

And absolutely zero subtlety or trust in the reader to come to their own conclusions.

Book twitter will do that to you