Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

bamhand posted:

You'll really need to explain what difficulty this is before deciding if it's good or not. I can one shot elites with flurry in T4 helltides with no imbues. I'm not convinced it's the frost part that makes it good.

W4, level 74, NM tier 30. The frost is nice cuz it’s offensive and defensive. Massive damage to chilled/frozen enemies (and vulnerable). And elites can’t do many of their attacks when frozen and no “on death” attacks if killed when frozen. Only getting stronger with gear, glyphs, and paragon upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
D2, D3, and D4 are all cool and good in their own ways

poe sucks though gently caress that campaign

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Brain Curry posted:

Started a flurry rogue alt, any tips on build?

Because I'm lazy, just take the maxroll deathtrap guide and replace TB with flurry, shroud with poison imbue. Run condemnation for a weapon and use combo points. If you have Temerity, run that with the bonus damage with barrier aspect.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

RaySmuckles posted:

W4, level 74, NM tier 30. The frost is nice cuz it’s offensive and defensive. Massive damage to chilled/frozen enemies (and vulnerable). And elites can’t do many of their attacks when frozen and no “on death” attacks if killed when frozen. Only getting stronger with gear, glyphs, and paragon upgrades.

I found the poison damage reduction to be really good. My build could run any imbue tbh, but poison synergizes easiest with rest of the skills and passives available. I'll give frost a shot tonight

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

acumen posted:

D2, D3, and D4 are all cool and good in their own ways

poe sucks though gently caress that campaign

Qft
But I'm glad you spreadsheet nerds have a game you love.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Fenarisk posted:

If eternal renown/quest/map progress was used for seasons I'd have no issue, I like the level and loot treadmill but chasing down way points and getting max renown again just to be at a baseline of class competency is awful.

map and altar progress is going to count towards season renown so you’ll be starting at renown 2/3 every season already, and you’ll even get map discovery completion in Seasons.

I think people are also forgetting about the new season mechanics and the boosts in the battle pass that are going to speed up levelling.

I guess it’s blizzard’s fault for making a game people want to pour 100s of hours in the first few weeks and burn out before the cool poo poo happens

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Stux posted:

the last time i played d3 was this year. it was the same trash its been everytime ive picked it up to try a new season.

idk what the officially goon correct metric to rate arpgs is, but for what I want to see a season in d3 checks off plenty of boxes for me:
  • large selection of functional builds to pick from : each class has idk 7-8 generally, covering a pretty wide range of play styles each with different possible tweaks to taste
  • absolute minimum of bullshit to put up with before being able to hit the endgame loop. No dogshit poe campaign to slog through before getting to maps.
  • Good speed of character growth, fast at first to get things feeling functional and then tailing off as you move towards more and more niche optimizations.
  • Good player agency in item acquisition via the combination of the cube and gambling, no sitting around praying solely to RNG for a build enabling unique. (Crafting is the outlier here and kinda sticks out as a sore thumb that should have had more options, if the game ever had more than 2 interns left working on it post RoS.)
  • Very tight + responsive character controls/animations
  • Gear easy to evaluate for upgrade worth
  • Good qol features/no excess currency farm requirements
  • Good group play synergies between classes
  • easily defined stopping point to finish a season

Does it have the breadth of endgame stuff available in poe? Are you able to literally play tower defense in your arpg? No, of course not, blizzard doesn't do poo poo like that even if they hadn't abandoned the game 8 years ago. But for what it is, it's a perfectly enjoyable couple weeks of blasting hordes of demons with the pals before capping out and putting it down again to go on to something else.

I think 4 is in a much better position baseline than 3 was, but it's still very clearly unfinished in a lot of ways, so I look forward to refinements coming down the pike.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Why are you trying to debate Stux.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I know its his schtick I just like talkin about video games

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Fair enough. Appreciate the effort! I pretty much agree on all of your points. If I had to choose the games as is, I would take D3 over 4 for sure. But 4 has got some promise to be good in the future.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think 4 will be better, eventually, but it'll take a lot of hemming and hawing and "realizing that players were not entirely on board with our vision" mmo-style doublespeak and other poo poo before it gets there. Stuff like their insistence on leveling other characters instead of making it easy to swap builds, etc, will stick around way longer than they should.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Gwaihir posted:

idk what the officially goon correct metric to rate arpgs is, but for what I want to see a season in d3 checks off plenty of boxes for me:
  • large selection of functional builds to pick from : each class has idk 7-8 generally, covering a pretty wide range of play styles each with different possible tweaks to taste
  • absolute minimum of bullshit to put up with before being able to hit the endgame loop. No dogshit poe campaign to slog through before getting to maps.
  • Good speed of character growth, fast at first to get things feeling functional and then tailing off as you move towards more and more niche optimizations.
  • Good player agency in item acquisition via the combination of the cube and gambling, no sitting around praying solely to RNG for a build enabling unique. (Crafting is the outlier here and kinda sticks out as a sore thumb that should have had more options, if the game ever had more than 2 interns left working on it post RoS.)
  • Very tight + responsive character controls/animations
  • Gear easy to evaluate for upgrade worth
  • Good qol features/no excess currency farm requirements
  • Good group play synergies between classes
  • easily defined stopping point to finish a season

Does it have the breadth of endgame stuff available in poe? Are you able to literally play tower defense in your arpg? No, of course not, blizzard doesn't do poo poo like that even if they hadn't abandoned the game 8 years ago. But for what it is, it's a perfectly enjoyable couple weeks of blasting hordes of demons with the pals before capping out and putting it down again to go on to something else.

I think 4 is in a much better position baseline than 3 was, but it's still very clearly unfinished in a lot of ways, so I look forward to refinements coming down the pike.

vs

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Ithe easily defined stopping point is "this isn't fun to do anymore", why do you need an achievement or some pop up window saying congratulations, you got to the stopping point?

It's an arpg not a single player cinematic experience.

If it isn't fun at 70+ anymore just play a different character or game type until you're back into diablo the slot machine game.

satanic splash-back fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 22, 2023

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Some people just really want chess to play like checkers imo and they can't rest until they tell someone.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

I'm going to be switching out of my current CE type necro to a bone spear build. Are there any major mistakes/traps in the build on maxroll? (https://maxroll.gg/d4/build-guides/bone-spear-necromancer-guide)

I was also considering bone spirit but spear seems more versatile.

I have only looked at the aspects and its already complete poo poo. The person who wrote it has not played a bone spear necro in high level content. Fortunately, bone spear is such a good build you can have a lot of fun playing it with a poo poo build until you start doing 60+ nm dungeons.

edit - jesus christ i just glanced at the paragon boards and its loving terrible. Inefficient pathing nodes and a bunch of points wasted on meaningless additive damage bonuses. They grabbed resistance nodes despite the fact that resistances are completely worthless, and picked 2 bad glyphs

edit 2 - he takes additive damage on weapon and lucky hit on rings instead of stacking double crit damage. If this wasn't on maxroll's site I would assume its a build to troll people

soscannonballs fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 22, 2023

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Gwaihir posted:

Stuff like their insistence on leveling other characters instead of making it easy to swap builds, etc, will stick around way longer than they should.

Stux posted:

the best thing about d4 is they obviously put a lot of time and effort into trying to compromise between d2 and d3. and theyve been rewarded. d2 players have reacted with "seems fair" while d3 players have been reacting the same way they do to everything: crying and trying to work out how to not play the game as much as possible. a complete success.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I played a lot of D3 and I love what they've done with D4 so obviously I'm a bad D3 player which I think is good?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

D4's combat pacing rules specifically because the concept of one shots is basically "you stood in the bad idiot" or "you're pushing sigils too far past +20 without enough cowbell"

having time to act and react to incoming damage shouldn't be a loving revelation but in this genre, where crazed fans spreadsheet xp per hour, baby steps

really high sigils are still rocket tag but whatever, that's extremely opt in, not the default

I'm super curious what season one will be, not expecting much

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
WRONG THREAD ops.

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 23, 2023

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Turmoilx posted:

got my rear wheel didnt buy tires yet, it weighs.. get ready weight wennies .. 5.7 lbs!

drat this dude got access to the cyclemancer class already

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
poo poo wrong thread.. bookmark folder owned me.

so anyway that diablo 4 huh yeah.. i got level 100 WW barbarian and working on another HOTA barbarian since build switching is just as awful as leveling another character might as well have two, to shop at vendors with.

its level 63 currently and already has some nice items i finished the level 73 capstone at 57 with some pumped up aspect imprints such as 9k barrier and thorns from my higher level character imprinting the lowbie gear

proud of the name too. (VibratinHOTA)

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 23, 2023

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish
can't wait to wheel my rear end around sanctuary, maybe the Sweet Bike Aspect will be a best in slot upgrade to my terrible horse

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I sure as gently caress would appreciate a bike instead of the dang horse.

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish
if I can have a sweet bike in Zelda I sure as hell should be able have a sweet bike in Diablo, it's not like the technology for wheels doesn't exist in the world building

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i cant beat the lvl 70 capstone dungeon as a never-seen-a-guide ice sorcerer
the bosses hits all one or two shot me

You can wait to outlevel him
Or
Drink a fire resist potion and dark-souls it (I.e. don't get hit)

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

If you're starting a new character & skipping the campaign is it more efficient to level on WT1 or WT2?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

smoobles posted:

If you're starting a new character & skipping the campaign is it more efficient to level on WT1 or WT2?

I think 2 since you can make your dude far more powerful with imprints

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

smoobles posted:

If you’ve got all the bonus skill points in stats I find things just melt even at WT2 the first 35 or so levels. After that it’s harder to tell.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

soscannonballs posted:

I have only looked at the aspects and its already complete poo poo. The person who wrote it has not played a bone spear necro in high level content. Fortunately, bone spear is such a good build you can have a lot of fun playing it with a poo poo build until you start doing 60+ nm dungeons.

edit - jesus christ i just glanced at the paragon boards and its loving terrible. Inefficient pathing nodes and a bunch of points wasted on meaningless additive damage bonuses. They grabbed resistance nodes despite the fact that resistances are completely worthless, and picked 2 bad glyphs

edit 2 - he takes additive damage on weapon and lucky hit on rings instead of stacking double crit damage. If this wasn't on maxroll's site I would assume its a build to troll people

Do you know of a good bone spear build posted anywhere? Or would you mind posting yours (or at least in general terms)?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

smoobles posted:

Depends on your damage output. If you're killing mobs without thinking on WT2 then obviously WT2. Otherwise WT1 all day.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I've been having a weird problem where Diablo 4 occasionally hard-locks my computer. The screen goes black, all the LEDs on the PC tower go dark, and the fans all kick up to an insane level (where they weren't before the crash). No revealing messages in the Windows event logs.

I figure it's probably an overheat issue, but I play a ton of other PC games, some of which should tax the CPU/GPU far more than Diablo, and have never had this sort of crashing.

Has anyone else run into this? I'm running Windows 10 on a three-year-old PC with a 2070 Super and plenty of RAM. Drivers are all up to date. It's happened half a dozen times now and is really annoying!

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Turmoilx posted:

poo poo wrong thread.. bookmark folder owned me.

so anyway that diablo 4 huh yeah.. i got level 100 WW barbarian and working on another HOTA barbarian since build switching is just as awful as leveling another character might as well have two, to shop at vendors with.

its level 63 currently and already has some nice items i finished the level 73 capstone at 57 with some pumped up aspect imprints such as 9k barrier and thorns from my higher level character imprinting the lowbie gear

proud of the name too. (VibratinHOTA)

fembarb

I approve of this poster

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

WhiteHowler posted:

I've been having a weird problem where Diablo 4 occasionally hard-locks my computer. The screen goes black, all the LEDs on the PC tower go dark, and the fans all kick up to an insane level (where they weren't before the crash). No revealing messages in the Windows event logs.

I figure it's probably an overheat issue, but I play a ton of other PC games, some of which should tax the CPU/GPU far more than Diablo, and have never had this sort of crashing.

Has anyone else run into this? I'm running Windows 10 on a three-year-old PC with a 2070 Super and plenty of RAM. Drivers are all up to date. It's happened half a dozen times now and is really annoying!

some people have reported similar things happening. you could try manually capping your FPS when playing D4 to see if that helps

there's a big patch coming in early July or so. Might fix some of these freezing/hard lock bugs people are having

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

the male barbs look awful and makes me cry

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

if we're fashionposting: I started using the "Sand-Worn Vestment" near the start of the game and I haven't found anything to replace it, it just looks neat. I also started using the terminus est sword skin (real ones know) and I don't think I'm gonna find anything to replace that either.

The season pass is probably gonna have a ton of poo poo that takes away from the "rugged, practical fighter" look. I'm like 90% certain it's not gonna be for me.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

soscannonballs posted:

so if someone had a bone spear necro which glyphs should they be using

Essence/Exploit seem obvious for vuln/crit. But armor is really nice too and that can get boosted from the rare/magical passive glyphs.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

Do you know of a good bone spear build posted anywhere? Or would you mind posting yours (or at least in general terms)?

This is the build I am using for farming, which is basically any content that isn't nightmare dungeons above tier 60.

https://maxroll.gg/d4/planner/lq9f02qi

Aspect placement is important - grasping tendrils needs to be on your 2h weapon since it gives a multiplier to your total crit damage. Most people assume its just +120% crit damage, but the little "x" means its a global multiplier. The Evulsion passive works the same way - a global multiplier to your total crit damage against vulnerable enemies. I am not sure if grasping tendrils and evulsion get added together or if they are both separate multipliers, but just know crit damage is king. You can get double crit damage rolls on weapon and rings. + Max essence is better than it looks since it gives crit chance and allows you to keep your Ossified Essence bonuses active for more casts. Bone spear can shotgun enemies with the splinters it forms - always try to position elites to be near a wall. If you are fighting in open spaces or against bosses, you can trigger the shotgun effect by casting from very far away, since the spear will act as if it hit a wall after traveling a certain distance. The sweet spot for long range sniping is a little more than a screen's length away. Umbral Aspect is huge for this build, it triggers twice per enemy from Grasping Tendrils and triggers from Decrepify against targets that aren't already slowed. The damage reduction it provides is mandatory in harder content, and there isn't really another skill to use that will make farming stuff faster.

For defensive stuff, I think fortify is a trap mechanic for Bone Necro. You are either killing poo poo so easily it isn't needed, or you are fighting enemies that will just one-shot you. A lot of Bone Necro is binary this way in my experience - Until tier 60 nm dungeons you can use anything and blow up the screen as long as you have the 3 damage aspects. After that you have to shift hard towards defense, and you will learn that a lot of the defensive mechanics like fortify or Bone Prison just aren't good enough.

For the paragon boards I have literally spent hours going over them trying to maximize efficiency. You get all of the stats you need to activate your important rare nodes from the paragon tree and you aren't over-stacking Willpower and Dex. Don't pick additive damage nodes until you are finished pathing the whole board and you have gotten your defensive nodes.

The corpse consumption playstyle does not scale well enough for end-game content in my opinion, so I have dropped it completely from the build. I still have 3/3 on the corpse generation passive so I can use Tendrils on bosses.

Always use Obols to gamble rings - the Umbral and Exposed Flesh passives are extremely rare in my experience, to the point where I wonder if they are bugged similar to loot for other classes. The difference between a min roll Umbral and a max roll is huge. If you luck into a max roll of Umbral, do not use it unless its on an Ancestral ring with all 4 correct stats.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I thought I was melting dudes with my whirlwind barb, but switched over to hammer barb and I'm sending fools to the moon. It's really hard to keep my fury up though, I need like 3 normal hits to be able to use one hammer, but when I do, 3/4 of the trash mobs are gone.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Is there an actual release date for the new season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

ritorix posted:

so if someone had a bone spear necro which glyphs should they be using

Essence/Exploit seem obvious for vuln/crit. But armor is really nice too and that can get boosted from the rare/magical passive glyphs.

Essence/Exploit/Control for damage and Sacrificial/Corporeal for toughness. Corporeal increases the value of armor nodes in range which might not be intuitive from the wording on the glyph