Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Cat Hassler posted:

I figured out how to post images from Imgur (I have an account there)

You just have to fiddle with the url imgur gives you for your image

Think I just had to changed the URL tags to TIMG

So if I have uploaded images on my account there my images will continue to load in SA?

you just have to long press the actual image on the imgur app after uploading and it'll bring up the share sheet for the image itself. like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Ok let me try it:

Ok I think I figured it out: if I grab the share link immediately after uploading it to my Imgur app it gives me the page's url instead of the actual image's (which has the .jog file). I just go back to my album and grab the correct url.

Android Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 22, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, HEIC is annoying that way. You can make a shortcut to select, convert, upload, and link a photo from your library:

It will use the Imgur app so whatever you’re logged in as there.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i prefer to use img tags and leave timg tags for quotes and special occasions

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, HEIC is annoying that way. You can make a shortcut to select, convert, upload, and link a photo from your library:

It will use the Imgur app so whatever you’re logged in as there.

Is that SA Upload an app or part of the Awful app?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Android Apocalypse posted:

Is that SA Upload an app or part of the Awful app?

That’s a shortcut for the shortcuts app that will upload to your imgur account so that the images don’t get purged after arbitrary timeframe.

I think your awful.app is out of date, as it shouldn’t upload images anymore because of the imgur changes making all those uploads ephemeral

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

b_d posted:

i prefer to use img tags and leave timg tags for quotes and special occasions

You know, I respect that.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Now we just all tighten the screws on SA releasing a competent attachment tool and stay in-house. (Something that actually is in their pipeline.)

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

smellmycheese posted:

Don’t know what you’ve done but having the app randomly turn my phone into a vibrating dildo simulator is suitably goonish

I'm getting this in particular if I longpress on text on a thread view, starting a highlight and thus Doing A Haptic — it seems to get stuck Doing A Haptic so it vibrates repeatedly as I drag my finger around (no turbovibe occurs if you release and then drag an individual selection pin, nor if you initially select an entire word by double-tapping and then drag for more). I can also trigger it from scrolling if I longpress a visible scrollthumb before dragging; pressing and quickly dragging a scrollthumb only causes the single Haptic Shake as is presumably intended.

Note that the persistent vibes only occur within the thread view! Even if I follow the same procedures above (which reliably trigger the Haptic Madness in a thread view), I have not seen/felt any such Haptic Madness within a post composing screen, nor within a post preview, nor on a user's profile.

thx,

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

new hamburger menu on posts is loving with my muscle memory :redass:

Yeah the order isn’t correct. Share shouldn’t be near the top.

Mark read

The first two are probably the most used by anyone.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah the order isn’t correct. Share shouldn’t be near the top.

Mark read

The first two are probably the most used by anyone.

With where I hold the phone in regards to where the post rests on screen I find quote and report the easiest to hit and I’m fine with that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ i basically only use quote

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yeah like who is ever using the “mark as last read” button????

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I use it often when there's something I want to respond to with an image or link but can't pull either up at that moment, so I can use SALR on my computer instead of my phone.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The Edit option for the Forums list is on the right but for bookmarks it's on the left. Please help my OCD and make them consistent.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i use it constantly. not sure if the question is serious due to the number of question marks but just in case. cheers

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Android Apocalypse posted:

I use it often when there's something I want to respond to with an image or link but can't pull either up at that moment, so I can use SALR on my computer instead of my phone.

And wouldn’t you rather be able to just say “mark unread” on the message itself, instead of loving around with the previous message? Sigh, the forums.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Probably my most pressed button in the whole app. Saves my progress when I'm halfway down a page and have to stop to do something else

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What’s more important than getting to the end of the page

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 22, 2023

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Posting a joke you thought of that would be good in another thread.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The poster’s curse

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

The latest app version currently has an intersectionobserver on the posts view so that it only plays the ghost animation for posts currently intersecting with the viewport (i.e. will be seen) and stops playing when the post is no longer intersecting.

Could probs use that to quietly fire off a Mark As Last Read message on the first post preceding a currently intersecting post whenever the app moves to background or the user navigates away.

Something to experiment with after addressing the recent new issues maybe

.random
May 7, 2007

I have the best inconsequential bug report.

Description: when you scroll a thread with certain conditions, it makes constant tiny haptic vibrations

Repro:
1. Turn on haptic feedback
2. Go to a thread
3. Tap BUT DO NOT LIFT YOUR FINGER on UI element that would pop up a context menu, e.g., a username or the “…” at the bottom right of a post
4. Rest your finger there for a moment
5. Drag your finger up or down to scroll the page
6. Result: the page scrolls as expected, but every tiny bit you move emits a vibration

Expected behavior: idk I guess that it scrolls without triggering the haptics

…but really just reporting it so other people can try! It’s fun!

(Also thank you thank you for this app and the recent update, super slick!)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
My preferred app icon seems to have vanished, shame

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

On the off-chance you're not being sarcastic:

I use "mark as last read" all the time, generally when I want to bookmark my place in a thread when I either don't have time to read the rest of the thread at the moment or occasionally when I want to post a reply before reading the rest of the thread.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Thanks for the update, I like the visual changes. Was inline image pasting removed? There's no way to upload an image from my phone to the thread, which previously worked via imgur

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yes, because Imgur started deleting uploaded anonymous images like those.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Subjunctive posted:

Yes, because Imgur started deleting uploaded anonymous images like those.

Thanks. BTW, I uploaded a gif months ago for a pretty niche thread through the feature. It racked up 14000 unexplained views over a short timeframe, and then went back to being unpopular. Was there an automated crawl of imgur stuff by the SA servers a few months ago, or a bug hammering imgur links? If not then no worries

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Before I discovered the "Mark Read" button I was a slave to the curse of always having to read to the end of the page before I could swipe out and go on with my day. Do you know how many times I have been sitting in a plane waiting to take off, speed-reading a thread to get to the end so I could pull-refresh another page to have 40 more offline posts to read after the plane leaves the tarmac and before someone gives me the side-eye for not having it in airplane mode??

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Data Graham posted:

Before I discovered the "Mark Read" button I was a slave to the curse of always having to read to the end of the page before I could swipe out and go on with my day. Do you know how many times I have been sitting in a plane waiting to take off, speed-reading a thread to get to the end so I could pull-refresh another page to have 40 more offline posts to read after the plane leaves the tarmac and before someone gives me the side-eye for not having it in airplane mode??

you can load a bunch of pages ahead and it gets cached in the belly of the CoreData beast, so then you go back to the page you’re reading and read along normally without internet

only up to about 7 pages though, or something. I used to do it when I commuted on the subway

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

Before I discovered the "Mark Read" button I was a slave to the curse of always having to read to the end of the page before I could swipe out and go on with my day.

This was me until 1 minute ago.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

i like the new update, but can’t see the leper’s colony. the place where it should be in bottom menubar is populated by a nonfunctional rap sheet button instead. known issue?

edit: maybe not entirely nonfunctional, it seems to load in background? my network is a bit slow at the moment so maybe there are images down in the feed significantly slowing the load?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Analytic Engine posted:

Thanks. BTW, I uploaded a gif months ago for a pretty niche thread through the feature. It racked up 14000 unexplained views over a short timeframe, and then went back to being unpopular. Was there an automated crawl of imgur stuff by the SA servers a few months ago, or a bug hammering imgur links? If not then no worries

There were multiple bots crawling imgur to create backups of images from SA threads at some point.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

pmchem posted:

i like the new update, but can’t see the leper’s colony. the place where it should be in bottom menubar is populated by a nonfunctional rap sheet button instead. known issue?

edit: maybe not entirely nonfunctional, it seems to load in background? my network is a bit slow at the moment so maybe there are images down in the feed significantly slowing the load?

I’m on a slow hotel network as well and loading someone’s rap sheet takes an absolute age for me as well. Not sure if it’s from the app or just being on a crappy network, and I wasn’t going to mention this, but since you did I will.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

pmchem posted:

SAme. Lepers colony just says rap sheet and nothing happens.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Quoting this

Also i use mark last Read a lot

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
No issues with the lepers colony for me. ios 16.5.1 and the new app.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I think the lepers colony is working ok, but the loading spinner is black and invisible for the oled dark theme.

Tested it on iOS 14 and 16. Might just have to wait for it to load

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

indigi posted:

the thread title font is bigger all of a sudden after the update I didn't ask for this noooo

Yeah can the font sizes of the thread names and stuff respect the text scaling option?

Good update but I use a tiny phone!!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Commie kong’s explanation of text sizes might be helpful to people with this issue, in case you missed (though probably doesn’t remove your benefit in providing feedback)

commie kong posted:

Just wanted to explain a few things:

2) On font sizes, particularly the thread view page count: fair enough. I'll bump that up. It was actually even smaller during beta and has been bumped up, but will do so again even more. That's easily done by theme properties (tho we have to use offset values to do it, which I'll explain below).

Some of the other sizes have changed slightly, but that's because hardcoded font sizes were used in some places. The size offset change was done to make these text elements adjustable per theme while also improving dynamic text support. The hardcoded fonts did not respect your iOS dynamic text settings at all. Now it does and some additional work was done so that people using the smallest / largest possible dt system settings don't make their copy of this app look too crazy. We removed the extremes based on beta feedback.

Since we aren't using set font sizes for things any more, we have to use offset values. That means we use one of the Apple defined styles and then make it bigger or smaller based on a positive or negative number. And the affect that has depends on your device and dynamic type settings. Which makes things a bit trickier, so sorry about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Plz put the quote button back where it was, I beg