Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Nenonen posted:

How deep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Ive read claims that carbon fiber is also more suited for the exact opposite of what the sub was supposed to do: keeping a high-pressure internal atmosphere contained from a normal external atmosphere.

Is that actually the case?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_piston

i like to think it went poof, then goo

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

RadioPassive posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_piston

i like to think it went poof, then goo

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

funeral home DJ posted:

Carbon Fiber is tough as hell for its relative weight, but its failure mode is basically "do nothing, then shatter into splinters". Planes and other poo poo that needs to be light can make good use of carbon fiber, I literally don't understand why it was used in place of better metals in this sub.

It was probably cheaper to custom make a carbon fiber tube that had a compressive strength of a given level, and they decided "eh gently caress it". It was just a poorly designed death trap from the start. :shrug:

Forged titanium is super expensive.

And the light weight meant they could do the launch and recovery "easily" from their "innovative" semi-submersible platform, rather than needing a much bigger ship with bigass cranes to lift a heavy metal-hulled sub from the water.

Basically, two major ways to save money in one. Just ignore the safety specs.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

funeral home DJ posted:

Carbon Fiber is tough as hell for its relative weight, but its failure mode is basically "do nothing, then shatter into splinters". Planes and other poo poo that needs to be light can make good use of carbon fiber, I literally don't understand why it was used in place of better metals in this sub.

It was probably cheaper to custom make a carbon fiber tube that had a compressive strength of a given level, and they decided "eh gently caress it". It was just a poorly designed death trap from the start. :shrug:

It's strong and tough, the problem is that it's not a compressively strong material - It's Ultimate tensile strength can be 5 times it's compressive strength. For steels or bulk metals it's usually about the same.

When you compress carbon fibres the epoxy is taking the entire compressive load, and the carbon fibres, at best, are stopping the layers from sliding. Over time they micro-buckle as individual strands are progressively overloaded and then it fails by fatigue. Composite materials like this will actually fail in compression whereas bulk metals won't (since the force pushes the fatigue cracks closed and stops them propogating).

It's a terrible choice for compressive applications like this, despite being amazing for tensile ones (such as gas tanks, or plane wings, or basically anything where you can design all your forces to be pulling the carbon fibre rather than pushing, where it's really strong).

The only advantage it has in this particular case it's it does have a very good strenght to weight ratio, even in compression. It's just simply not a suitable material choice though because of the inevitable fatigue risk and how it's been used.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Oh well he said its actually super safe so.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Terrible week to announce this

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

You can tell Bob Ballard and James Cameron are pissed as hell at this idiot for loving up their safety record.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Delthalaz posted:

I want to know if OceanGate is offering refunds for the death voyage or if they’re going to be like “lol buyer beware”

Just one small problem, Ben. Offer refunds to who? loving Aquaman!?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Also why does James Cameron only wear motocross gear now?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7246975245230427435

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
im not an enginer but an article i found suggested this same sub had been on possibly 2 (relatively successful) voyages to the titanic previously. how would that stress affect the materials it was made of

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

hooooooly fukken poo poo pisssss

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Rad-daddio posted:

Also why does James Cameron only wear motocross gear now?

He's cool

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
drat you guys why does James Dean wear that really cool leather jacket even when he's not riding a motorcycle? I need somebody to explain it to me.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

loving hell

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

CEO floats down here.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Poor Stockton, I finally realize what must've been the last thing to go through his mind

His rear end

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

funeral home DJ posted:

Carbon Fiber is..., I literally don't understand why it was used in place of better metals in this sub.

Idiot clientele don't know any better and think it sounds futuristic.

E:

Lmao

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

smoobles posted:

interesting that they're called "billionaires" when they in fact have zero airs

this needs more respect

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

So that much ballyhooed real time hull monitoring systems didn't do poo poo in the end I guess.

lol

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
getting into the sub and having to ask if they wired up the thrusters right this time

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I probably shouldn't be surprised that there are dipshits in the comments defending the company, yet somehow I still am. Especially the people responding to comments about it being unsafe with "Oh, so you're a submarine expert? :smug:"

Also I should probably stop reading about the effects of a deep sea implosion and the force of all that water, that poo poo is nightmarish, even if it's the most humane way to go down there.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
--Captain James T. Vader

TulliusCicero posted:

The navy could have saved some actual alive people, and not covered some chud company's rear end for four days

Hahaha how is this so hard for goons to understand. People posted graphs and poo poo and have explained it for loving pages. The timeframe between "a failure of the pressure hull has begun" and "everything inside the former pressure hull is now paste" was a few milliseconds at most. The Navy could have had a fuckin' sub right next to this thing watching out a real window rated for 4000 meters and all they'd be able to do is say "sub's there, sub's there, <blink> oops all goo!"

Covering the chud company's rear end, sure, that's not great, but yeah the Navy couldn't have saved jack poo poo, the people inside changed from alive to dead faster than a blink and the only way for them not to have died was "don't get in the shittastic deathtrap you gigantic morons".

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

I'm watching some "analyzing The Shining"-type videos on YT at the moment, so I doubly applaud this :golfclap::golfclap:

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Sometimes you have crab on the menu, other times the crab gets to have you on his. It's a circle of life where everything's connected, Simba.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1671991192442277889?s=20

DNAmage
Oct 8, 2005

Occult Scientist
Cannot turn to attack.
He mixes biotech and sorcery with sinister results

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Canadian search and rescue with an aircraft. They drop buoys that detect sound and they transmit that data back to the plane.

Here's an video of a sonar buoy being deployed. They're pretty cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eidMDdMK38s

Multiple hydrophones per buoy gives it some ability to detect directions to sound.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Stockton Rush was such a lifetime grifter that he thought the company that tested his window telling him "This will fail and kill you, redesign it and pay us again for more testing" was just trying to scam money out of him.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

thathonkey posted:

im not an enginer but an article i found suggested this same sub had been on possibly 2 (relatively successful) voyages to the titanic previously. how would that stress affect the materials it was made of

Badly.

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

I mean, who really won? Us, or the iceberg we melted to poo poo?

puts on sunglasses and gets in Hummer

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Regalingualius posted:

Ive read claims that carbon fiber is also more suited for the exact opposite of what the sub was supposed to do: keeping a high-pressure internal atmosphere contained from a normal external atmosphere.

Is that actually the case?

basically yes

Carbon fiber tensile strength is extremely good. Pushing outward on it increases the surface area for the same amount of fiber, ie puts it under tension, which it survives better than an awful lot of things.

Carbon fiber compressive strength is very bad. Pushing inward on it reduces tension and puts it under compression, whereupon it shatters and kills four people and the ceo.

E: dronefragger did it better :argh:

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Very nice of the Navy to let the oxygen countdown rundown before letting us know they knew for days.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm really looking forward to engineer youtube doing deep dives about this incident.

fullerene
Apr 29, 2022

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

Sometimes you have crab on the menu, other times the crab gets to have you on his. It's a circle of life where everything's connected, Simba.

all things must return to crab, but normally it doesn't take quite so direct a route

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

thathonkey posted:

enough that it should have been inspected meticulously and expensively

I think we all know how much inspection it got

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

thathonkey posted:

Somebody should find the owner and ask