Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Hahaha how is this so hard for goons to understand. People posted graphs and poo poo and have explained it for loving pages. The timeframe between "a failure of the pressure hull has begun" and "everything inside the former pressure hull is now paste" was a few milliseconds at most. The Navy could have had a fuckin' sub right next to this thing watching out a real window rated for 4000 meters and all they'd be able to do is say "sub's there, sub's there, <blink> oops all goo!"

Covering the chud company's rear end, sure, that's not great, but yeah the Navy couldn't have saved jack poo poo, the people inside changed from alive to dead faster than a blink and the only way for them not to have died was "don't get in the shittastic deathtrap you gigantic morons".

don't think you read that post right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
The whole sub gives me a very Mad Mike vibe

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/23/808645524/daredevil-mad-mike-hughes-killed-in-crash-of-homemade-rocket

For those who don't know.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Hahaha how is this so hard for goons to understand. People posted graphs and poo poo and have explained it for loving pages. The timeframe between "a failure of the pressure hull has begun" and "everything inside the former pressure hull is now paste" was a few milliseconds at most. The Navy could have had a fuckin' sub right next to this thing watching out a real window rated for 4000 meters and all they'd be able to do is say "sub's there, sub's there, <blink> oops all goo!"

Covering the chud company's rear end, sure, that's not great, but yeah the Navy couldn't have saved jack poo poo, the people inside changed from alive to dead faster than a blink and the only way for them not to have died was "don't get in the shittastic deathtrap you gigantic morons".

You misunderstood them, I believe. The "could have saved some alive people" didn't reference the submersible but whatever other people missing at sea there were at the same time.

But then again there was never certainty that the implosion sound came from Titan until its remains were sighted. Those signals could have been something else.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I mean with that guy it was always clear how it was going to end. I hope he's on that big flat earth in the sky.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

buglord posted:

I had no idea a 19 year old was on there. I just thought it was middle aged rich idiots.

yes the coverage has been a bit poo poo about that

moron ceo, two evil billionaires, the 19 yo kid of one of em, and a 77 year old French oceanographer and titanic historian who always figured he'd go out something like this

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

feeling kinda bad for laughing so hard now :(

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
technically he went extremely in before he went out I guess

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Beasteh posted:

When they imploded, the pressure differential would have heated up the inside of the submersible to something approaching 20k degrees so they instantly flashed into plasma, and nothing would be left to feed the fishies. Hope This Helps

Crabs getting some new electrolytes to season their plankton with

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nenonen posted:

You misunderstood them, I believe. The "could have saved some alive people" didn't reference the submersible but whatever other people missing at sea there were at the same time.

But then again there was never certainty that the implosion sound came from Titan until its remains were sighted. Those signals could have been something else.

Yeah, it's this. It's easy to say "yeah that noise was probably an implosion" but pretty much every sea rescue/recovery had a bunch of "we heard something! nevermind" instances, and they weren't going to give up and leave before at least confirming the pop can actually crushed itself

birds
Jun 28, 2008

the real tragedy is i bet no one even used the toilet

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

AITA for forcing my son to go on holiday with me to Canada?

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

birds posted:

im sure plenty of piss and poo poo got squeezed out

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Nenonen posted:

It also assumes that the anti-submarine warfare aircraft and deep-sea ROV would have been used to save some fishermen that ran out of gas.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

birds posted:

Yeah, they never really had the chance.

Unless the CEO just did a fat poo poo as an initial dominance thing.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
At the very least, it sounds like the wrong son got on board.

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Feel a little bit of sympathy for the kid. That's an unprecedented level of peer pressure, we were only encouraged to eat ketchup packets when I was a kid.

birds posted:

I would've done it for sure, so I could say to myself "man that poo poo was low, even for you".

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Sydin posted:

To be fair if the sub was going to blow up anyway then the best possible thing for our resident dipshit CEO was to die a (presumably) painless death aboard it rather than still be up here and on the hook for imploded a bunch of goobers in his innovative new carbon-fiber coffin.

Yeah if he'd been rescued or stayed above water he would have immediately lost all his money and then gotten bonesawed by Pakistan, which is fair

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

lmao

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
So if they never got the chance to make a poo poo...

James Cameron holds the record for worlds deepest poo poo?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

birds posted:

I bet the toilet is still in one piece.

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Wee posted:

James Cameron holds the record for worlds deepest poo poo?
I think it's still Johnny Cash's Hurt cover.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I bet the toilet is still in one piece.

The toilet was the only part made out of steel.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
The next DSV that visits the Titanic has the chance to do the funniest thing ever.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

:vince:

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

After I saw The Titanic as a kid, I developed a fear of being stuck in a small dark room at the bottom of the ocean, like sinking with the Titanic itself, knowing that the dark, deep abyss is all around you, with nothing but the echo of metal shifting and bending around you.

They experienced one of my worst fears, which I always thought was an irrational one, but I guess not.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

uber_stoat posted:

not having a hard wired connection for the controls for this thing... is absolutely mind boggling. so much about this whole deal is just...

unfathomable

5 unfathomables under the sea

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

:drat:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

It's strong and tough, the problem is that it's not a compressively strong material - It's Ultimate tensile strength can be 5 times it's compressive strength. For steels or bulk metals it's usually about the same.

When you compress carbon fibres the epoxy is taking the entire compressive load, and the carbon fibres, at best, are stopping the layers from sliding. Over time they micro-buckle as individual strands are progressively overloaded and then it fails by fatigue. Composite materials like this will actually fail in compression whereas bulk metals won't (since the force pushes the fatigue cracks closed and stops them propogating).

It's a terrible choice for compressive applications like this, despite being amazing for tensile ones (such as gas tanks, or plane wings, or basically anything where you can design all your forces to be pulling the carbon fibre rather than pushing, where it's really strong).

The only advantage it has in this particular case it's it does have a very good strenght to weight ratio, even in compression. It's just simply not a suitable material choice though because of the inevitable fatigue risk and how it's been used.
that's too easy for even a grad student to solve tho imo. yes it's not as strong under compression when it's just carbon fiber but you can get around that if your walls are thick enough or.. if you start layering other sheets of material or adding stiffening rings

important to note it wasn't just carbon fiber, it had an interface with a sheet metal I think. feasibly you're doing that to aid in strengthening against buckling under hoop stress. question mark. the interface is typically where composites like this fail. and they had already had issues during construction with delamination. my money is that is how it failed

edit: and I would also think that delamination would occur when unloading the pressure, returning to surface. it had been down there before. so we know it had some capability to resist the pressure. but the next time it went in.. boom

ethanol fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 23, 2023

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

d'oh-ho-ho-ho-ho.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Space Robot posted:

After I saw The Titanic as a kid, I developed a fear of being stuck in a small dark room at the bottom of the ocean, like sinking with the Titanic itself, knowing that the dark, deep abyss is all around you, with nothing but the echo of metal shifting and bending around you.

They experienced one of my worst fears, which I always thought was an irrational one, but I guess not.

Well theres this video of one guy who survived for days at the bottom of the ocean in a sunken ship before being found by divers if you want some real nightmare fuel

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

:lmao:

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

okay so crossing carbon fibre off the list, what about a really strong wood

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

When my passengers tried to prevent me from doing my duty, I corrected them.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

Space Robot posted:

Don't worry you're probably too poor for it to ever become a rational fear.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

AITA for forcing my son to go on holiday with me to Canada?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

thathonkey posted:

im not an enginer but an article i found suggested this same sub had been on possibly 2 (relatively successful) voyages to the titanic previously. how would that stress affect the materials it was made of
They could have found out but the CEO said x-ray non destructive testing cost too much.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Zamujasa posted:

getting into the sub and having to ask if they wired up the thrusters right this time

:kiss:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I wonder if james cameron got naked on his solo dive to the challenger deep, I would just so i could say I'd been skinny dipping in the deepest part of the ocean.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

zedprime posted:

They could have found out but the CEO said x-ray non destructive testing cost too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Pook Good Mook posted:

The toilet was the only part made out of steel.

Continue the search!

There could still be a survivor in the toilet.