Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

gschmidl posted:

Ship that was underbuilt by rich people and became a graveyard of poor people visited by ship that was underbuilt by rich people and became a graveyard of rich people.

tbf plenty of rich people also went down with the titanic

I applaud oceangate for only killing the rich though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

tbf plenty of rich people also went down with the titanic

I applaud oceangate for only killing the rich though

idk wasn't there like two completely ordinary people who were their guests or something?

edit:
I love how musk is trying so hard to be an attentionwhore with the cisbitching and steel cage poo poo

and even in the thread we expressly use to make fun of him?

we're focusing on some other completely different billionaire

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 22, 2023

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Expo70 posted:

idk wasn't there like two completely ordinary people who were their guests or something?

the least well off person in the Titan was a former naval commander who made an after-retirement career out of bringing up artifacts from the Titanic i.e. a professional grave robber

every other person was a richie mcrich

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Expo70 posted:

Some idiot, probably:

"2003: We've regressed so much that we can't make it to the moon, which we did in 1969!"

"2023: We've regressed so much that we can't make it to the titanic, which we did in 2003!"

I think that Ballard's team first went to the Titanic in the 80s. Maybe even earlier since they discovered it on their secret military contract first and only went back as civilians later

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Why would you even want artifacts from the Titanic anyway

"Hey check out this cool snuff box I got! They brought it up from the Titanic! Isn't it cool and funky and -- wait, hang on, do you hear that kind of sound that's kind of like a moaning? No? Huh. I think I've been hearing it a lot in the night. Also, the last couple weeks my sink and shower keep backing up with rusty saltwater and I can't get it to go clear. Random lol"

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Jack, implode me like one of your homemade subs

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

"Hey check out this cool snuff box I got! They brought it up from the Titanic! Isn't it cool and funky and -- wait, hang on, do you hear that kind of sound that's kind of like a moaning? No? Huh. I think I've been hearing it a lot in the night. Also, the last couple weeks my sink and shower keep backing up with rusty saltwater and I can't get it to go clear. Random lol"

yeah for that dude this is definitely one of those horror stories where you've finally pissed off the ghosts enough and they've come to claim you

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Sagebrush posted:

the same reason billionaires buy stolen artwork, to show off to other billioniares that they have something they don't

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

having artifacts from the titanic would be obviously cool come on

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

yeah for that dude this is definitely one of those horror stories where you've finally pissed off the ghosts enough and they've come to claim you

what i'm saying is insert him into the dream sequence at the end of titanic (1997)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/halomancer1/status/1671761256947277825

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Pinterest Mom posted:

having artifacts from the titanic would be obviously cool come on

not really

its only like 110 years old. you can easily find antiques in your nearest city that age.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

the suicide torpedo had more manageable issues than full self-driving

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

wait, why would holding the controller sideways help

were they using gyro controls???

deathsub now with SIXAXIS support

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Expo70 posted:

why the gently caress did they put a billionaire in an experimental submersible?

why the gently caress didn't they put more billionaires in the experimental sub

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

well-read undead posted:

wait, why would holding the controller sideways help

were they using gyro controls???

deathsub now with SIXAXIS support

having used the piece of poo poo controller he used 12 years ago, it doesn't have gyro controls

what I assume he means is that instead of having the D-pad under your left hand and the other buttons (X/square/triangle/O or A/B/X/Y) in your right, you kinda, have the D-pad close to you and the other buttons far, and you can then use the analogue sticks at a right angle to the intended direction

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

yeah since it's got 2 thrusters, turning is firing them in opposite directions, forward and back are firing in the same directions. if you gently caress up and install one thruster backwards, now turn is forward/back since the old turn command would make them push in the same direction now that one is flipped.

so yeah rotate the controller and keep on going, safety is for suckers

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

oh it's better, there's literally video footage of it happening

https://twitter.com/wapplehouse/status/1672004334240841731

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Tesseraction posted:

oh it's better, there's literally video footage of it happening

https://twitter.com/wapplehouse/status/1672004334240841731

the framing in this video like they're troubleshooting apollo 13 lmfao the bbc is a loving joke

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Its a wonder it took them this long to kill everyone on that shitbox.

https://twitter.com/chiller/status/1671779333784961024

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
"complete implosion"; mathematically it's the same

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

lmao did they really skip one of the bolts? for all the vacuum seals i've done it's definitely not the same, you kinda want to get all the bolts compressed nice and evenly. but since it's water and they've got tons of pressure maybe it doesn't matter.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
not only did they skip one of the bolts, their tightening order was just clockwise from the one they could easily reach without a step ladder all the way around.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

if only they'd hand-tightened all 18 bolts, maybe 350 times surface pressure wouldn't have defeated merely hand-tightening bolts

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
doubt it made much of a difference considering the window was not rated for their operating depth

there are just so many things that were wrong with the sub lol

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
death by a thousand tubgirls

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
its hard to believe it made it back from even one voyage

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://twitter.com/dumpsterrubbish/status/1671733456425091073

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

so I guess this exonerates the 1,500 m viewport?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
been thinkin' about these folks lately for some reason

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i've seen it on apps but changing your irl name to TOP is definitely a decision

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1671962757124554753

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
jordan peen beaterson, ladies and gentlemen

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
hand to god, the idea that mark zuckerberg and elon musk would ever fight naked never once entered my poisoned mind. jordan pieterson is a sick sick man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Roosevelt posted:

hand to god, the idea that mark zuckerberg and elon musk would ever fight naked never once entered my poisoned mind. jordan pieterson is a sick sick man.

Zuck will never reveal his smoothed mannequin features.