Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

The Kins posted:

Fair Warning: "Some time in the next month", the very good twin-stick shooter Monolith will switch from being an $8 game with a $7 DLC pack to a single $15 game with the DLC pre-installed. This means anyone who doesn't own the DLC will effectively get it for free, so I guess consider this a sale with an uncertain end date.

Also, the game's name is going to change to "Star of Providence" because the developers are paranoid that Warner Bros. will suddenly decide to stomp them some half a decade after release. Kinda weird to freak out over a hypothetical since nobody's said anything to anyone, but sure.

Thanks for the heads up! That game has been on my wishlist for a stupidly long time considering how cheap it is: should probably just snatch up the base game now so I get free DLC.

But then again, according to this video, am I actually gonna play it? Or am I just getting it because deal and there it will sit in my library?

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Wait, you’re telling me you can play the games you buy on Steam too? I don’t believe if for a second :colbert:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Buying games is my hobby.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Macichne Leainig posted:

Wait, you’re telling me you can play the games you buy on Steam too? I don’t believe if for a second :colbert:

You can play some of them, don't be silly, otherwise you'd have stopped buying them ages ago. The one problem is that you keep tricking yourself saying you'll play them all, then play nearly none of them... and that's alright. Whatever makes us happy is what matters.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The trick is that you play the games first and buy them later.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
One of that guy's (three) other videos is called "Why Spammers And Cheesers Are HATED In Every Game", really hard hitting stuff.

Also the channel has like no subs and barely 900 views on that video, and yet there are 46 top-level comments, not even counting replies. That seems like an insanely high amount of engagement for such a low-view video on such a tiny channel. I am suspicious.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Volte posted:

Also the channel has like no subs and barely 900 views on that video, and yet there are 46 top-level comments, not even counting replies. That seems like an insanely high amount of engagement for such a low-view video on such a tiny channel. I am suspicious.
Calm down there Twitter Blue user.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
its because spam and cheese are both disgusting foods

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Croccers posted:

Calm down there Twitter Blue user.
I don't understand what that means

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/metal-gear-solid-master-collection-vol-1-wont-support-keyboard-mouse-on-pc/

It seemed like too good to be true. Watch it being a loving mess of a port.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
They're just going to be booted via emulators aren't they?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Croccers posted:

They're just going to be booted via emulators aren't they?
The versions of MGS2 and 3 are the Xbox 360/PS3 HD versions, and I doubt they'd be able to get PS360 emulation working good on a Switch.

MGS1 probably is though, all the footage is the same low resolution as the PS1 original with the texture warping to match.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Kins posted:

MGS1 probably is though, all the footage is the same low resolution as the PS1 original with the texture warping to match.

MGS1 has a (bad) PC port already. They'll probably use that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

The PC port supports higher display resolutions, IIRC, they probably would have shown that if it was available.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Jack Trades posted:

The trailer shows footage of MGS1 that looks a lot like the PS1 version - the PC port has a high resolution and the minimap has much thinner lines

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if you play metal gear solid 1 with a keyboard psycho mantis should make your keyboard levitate and smack it over your head

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

In an ideal world MGS1 would have Psycho Mantis check your Steam library.

"Ah, I see you have 1000 hours in Sex With Hitler 3D, Snake."

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

if you play metal gear solid 1 with a keyboard psycho mantis should make your keyboard levitate and smack it over your head

switching from the controller to the keyboard during the fight should be the only way to beat him imo

sur le web
Oct 23, 2020

"mouse & keyboard is not supported" he says, as you slam spacebar to open the secret bookcase door.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

how did the psycho mantis fight work on PC where there isn't a clear way to change your controller number?

do you just have to fall back on the alternate solution to the fight that the game doesn't tell you until you've flailed around for a while?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

repiv posted:

how did the psycho mantis fight work on PC where there isn't a clear way to change your controller number?

do you just have to fall back on the alternate solution to the fight that the game doesn't tell you until you've flailed around for a while?

You actually had to use the keyboard.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

repiv posted:

Pretty much. After a couple calls of Campbell telling you to plug your controller into port two, he'll finally be like "Oh, you must not be able to switch ports. Well, here's the alternate way to fight him."

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The Kins posted:

Fair Warning: "Some time in the next month", the very good twin-stick shooter Monolith will switch from being an $8 game with a $7 DLC pack to a single $15 game with the DLC pre-installed. This means anyone who doesn't own the DLC will effectively get it for free, so I guess consider this a sale with an uncertain end date.

Also, the game's name is going to change to "Star of Providence" because the developers are paranoid that Warner Bros. will suddenly decide to stomp them some half a decade after release. Kinda weird to freak out over a hypothetical since nobody's said anything to anyone, but sure.

From what they imply, they're probably working on a sequel and/or some other franchise-y stuff that could draw their attention in the future. Better to avoid that problem now than be stuck with a warehouse full of unsellable Monolith plushies or whatever in the future because WB randomly decided to be dicks.

Edit: I wasn't sure if I had caved and bought the DLC for myself yet, but apparently not. Laziness wins again! :toot:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 22, 2023

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Thanks for the opinions on Sirlaim. Ended up picking it up.

New question, are the Worms games worth looking into at all if I plan to do solo only or is it one of those games you need friends to play with ?

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

[s]https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/escape-the-backrooms

Fanatical star deal: Escape the Backrooms is $5.99

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-handheld-heroes-bundle
Build your own handheld bundle: 3 for $4.99/5 for $6.99/8 for $9.99

quote:

The Hong Kong Massacre
Minute of Islands
Shantae: Risky's revenge
Dark Devotion
NecroSmith
Fallout 1
Crumble
Black Book
Doom 64
Autonauts vs Piratebots
Magequit
Pang Adventures
Fallout 2
Police Storys
Train valley 2
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/diamond-collection-build-your-own-bundle

Diamond collection: 3 for $14.99/4 for $18.99/5 for $22.99

quote:

Soundfall
Shotgun King
Roadwarden
Vampyr
Road 96
Dishonored 2
Dungeons of Sundaria
Elderand
The Surge 2
Dice Legacy
Dungeons 3 complete collection
Call of Cthulhu
Fallout 4
Sucker for love
Encased
Garden Paws

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

In an ideal world MGS1 would have Psycho Mantis check your Steam library.

"Ah, I see you have 1000 hours in Sex With Hitler 3D, Snake."

it's not how it looks i just use it as an ambient screensaver when company's over

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ninurta posted:

Not sure where else to put this but I tried out the Invincible Demo and...it has very odd quirks. For one, there's no jump button, and the whole interface feels clunky. And I have never felt queasy before playing a first person game but this is doing a number on me, I think it may be the fish bowl helmet which may make the whole game a no go for me.

I like the concept and the look and stuff, but the demo felt really loving terrible to play.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

So this Aliens game actually seems really good so far?

It's literally Firaxis XCOM but RTWP (or real-time with slow-mo depending on your settings) and Aliens. Even down to fairly similar base management. Pretty much everything about it seems like an explicit homage to XCOM, right down to the personalities in your base and how they're introduced, the mission loadout screen, etc. It feels like an XCOM total conversion at times, but not in a bad way.

I think it would be better with the option for individual units instead of the entire squad being one entity, but that I guess makes it much more workable on controllers/console so whatever. I'm not very far but if the quality keeps up I think this is a good one

Following up on this, I refunded it because the missions are well over an hour long and it seems to not be possible to save during missions. No checkpoint system or anything.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

Following up on this, I refunded it because the missions are well over an hour long and it seems to not be possible to save during missions. No checkpoint system or anything.

Can't you return to base and save there and then re-deploy to continue the mission?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I didn't see a way to do that at the ARC, but I didn't even make it through the first real mission because I played for 45ish minutes then had to stop and lost all my progress twice :kiddo: It gave me the impression that I needed to complete every objective before leaving (I'm pretty sure it explicitly says that in the tutorial popups but I might have misunderstood)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 22, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You might have to do the tutorial in one go and yeah, it's slow.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I haven't played it yet, but I did see a steam review saying the prologue is not great and everything after is good.

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

There are definitely autosaves for me. As far as I can tell, it saves whenever you rest in a room or progress/complete an objective.

I personally have been really, really enjoying this, but it could use some more polish. There are some bugs, but it's mostly just UI stuff like a +1 Ammo never going away.

Sometimes the pathfinding gets wonky and a marine will get stuck.

My biggest complaint is honestly just that the Marines responses to commands are always yells. I'll be telling them to slowly back away from the xenomorph and sneak around the corner, and they'll bark out GO GO GO. DOUBLE TIME! DO IT! NOW!! For a game that's at least 50% sneaking, these guys are real loud. Might even be another bug!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man, Trepang2 has really fantastic gunplay and combat but just about everything else feels very budget. I am curious to see how the levels hold up the later into the game I get because while there isn't spooky stuff there is definitely genetically mutated monsters and a Mothman or possibly men and the level design left something to be desired in the first level. They go out of their way so much to not show a single living soul in your world except for the people you're shooting, the guys who drop into a mission with you, and one Quartermaster at your hub who says hi to you. You get dropped off back at your base after a mission in a helicopter flown presumably by people and land in a completely empty hub getting orders via radio transmission. It's just so weird. Also the music sucks.

In a roundabout way all of these quirks weirdly make it feel even more like a throwback to a game made in 2005. I am thoroughly enjoying the game but definitely starting to see where some corners may have been cut.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Resonance22 posted:

My biggest complaint is honestly just that the Marines responses to commands are always yells. I'll be telling them to slowly back away from the xenomorph and sneak around the corner, and they'll bark out GO GO GO. DOUBLE TIME! DO IT! NOW!! For a game that's at least 50% sneaking, these guys are real loud. Might even be another bug!

oorah to ashes :madmax:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Dunno if anyone else has noticed this phenomenon where a game that drops on PC Game Pass is actually an inferior version to the one released the same day on Steam because the day-one patch is still going through Microsoft cert lol

Before it was Everspace 2 but now it's The Bookwalker, basically all the notes and things you read in the game are broken because half the text is unreadable

Devs had this to say:

It's a shame because the premise is really neat :sigh:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

torchlight 3's on sale for 8 bucks... anyone played it enough to say whether it's as decent as the 2nd? I have a soft spot for the series but I'm not interested in being *completely* fleeced if it's a total trainwreck

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
When I tried Astroneer on PC Gamepass it had hardcore stuttering and frame pacing issues that were completely gone when I tried the Steam version. I'm wary about using PC Gamepass for any graphically demanding games after that.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

explosivo posted:

Man, Trepang2 has really fantastic gunplay and combat but just about everything else feels very budget. I am curious to see how the levels hold up the later into the game I get because while there isn't spooky stuff there is definitely genetically mutated monsters and a Mothman or possibly men and the level design left something to be desired in the first level. They go out of their way so much to not show a single living soul in your world except for the people you're shooting, the guys who drop into a mission with you, and one Quartermaster at your hub who says hi to you. You get dropped off back at your base after a mission in a helicopter flown presumably by people and land in a completely empty hub getting orders via radio transmission. It's just so weird. Also the music sucks.

In a roundabout way all of these quirks weirdly make it feel even more like a throwback to a game made in 2005. I am thoroughly enjoying the game but definitely starting to see where some corners may have been cut.

It's not the best game, but sliding and shooting and bullet time are fun enough.
I do agree the music was real bad though and that fight at the end of the first mission was obnoxious as I was already super low on ammo. Died once, killed him my second time. Not sure what it is but it has some sort of weak spot because I took it to under half health in no time, then ran out of ammo again and abused its AI and whittled it down with my pistol.

That you can do this is pretty funny though;
https://i.imgur.com/CFPDFoU.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

ymgve posted:

When I tried Astroneer on PC Gamepass it had hardcore stuttering and frame pacing issues that were completely gone when I tried the Steam version. I'm wary about using PC Gamepass for any graphically demanding games after that.

PC Game Pass really is a mixed bag in that respect. I know that the FO/TES Bethesda games are not nearly as moddable as their Steam counterparts because none of the utilities that hook into the game executable (ala SKSE) actually work. Starfield is likely to be in the same boat.

There are also a lot of titles from the mid-2010s that still are using the cursed UWP versions with locked-down folders and the tendency to bug out and not actually free up disk space on uninstall.