Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
People said Andor was slow and boring to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Collateral posted:

It's also just a handful of people who have always been very vocal about hating everything in the MCU, and with a few flops or less than stellar outings in Phase 4 have taken the opportunity to say that it's proof that everything in the MCU is terrible. They know that the MCU isn't for them, and they want to take every opportunity to make sure that everybody knows that they don't, and won't ever, like it.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Shageletic posted:

Thanks for reminding me to finish Slow Horses

season one is great, I regret everything after episode one of season 2

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Comic book shows/movies are over.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Sorry Spiderverse lovers

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm pretty numb to the high stakes comic book stuff but I'm down for more meaningless side stories where the world isn't going to end or whatever

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Collateral posted:

The flashbacks in the pilot episodes were really tedious and they absolutely did the right thing to move past that storytelling technique

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

veni veni veni posted:

I think it’s like the 5th semi autobiographical thing he’s done.

I thought it was ok. Not great but fine. That movie he did with Bill Burr was basically the same thing but better.

I didn’t realize it was autobiographical at first. I’m fine with it, but yeah the movie was enough. His mom in this show even references that movie!

I mostly stuck around for Joe Pesci but it’s pretty funny all around. In the beginning Pete is reading online comments about himself and someone calls him “butthole eyes” lmao

He’s very self aware which is his saving grace.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
God that Beanie Bubble trailer. When Zach Galifanakis turn into John Goodman?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I generally enjoy him in stuff to some extent. He’s ok at comedy and a decent dramatic actor. I don’t think he’s particularly untalented or unlikable or anything, but I am also just sick of seeing him everywhere.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

It would have been cool if they you know, got the rights to use Beanie Babies in their Beanie Baby movie.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

it loving sucks that so many movies are about some stupid corporate product lately.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

it loving sucks that so many movies are about some stupid corporate product lately.

I tried watching the Flamin Hot Cheetos movie and the 20 minutes I lasted before turning it off were absolutely terrible.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

veni veni veni posted:

I tried watching the Flamin Hot Cheetos movie and the 20 minutes I lasted before turning it off were absolutely terrible.

The best thing about that movie is that, shortly after they starting filming it, it turned out that the whole story of a janitor thinking up Flamin' Hot Cheetos was a myth.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have no idea what happens in that movie or even irl, but I remember listening to some NPR thing a few years ago about that guy and he gave me really strong full of poo poo/trying to get rich vibes

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Edward Mass posted:

The best thing about that movie is that, shortly after they starting filming it, it turned out that the whole story of a janitor thinking up Flamin' Hot Cheetos was a myth.

This pisses me off so much. Just a completely bullshit bootstraps story being sold as truth.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Weird thing is, you cut out the Flamin Hot lie and the dude still has a good bootstrap story. He wasn't lying about starting with the company as a janitor he actually did work his way to senior leadership from the bottom.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I did think the Air Jordan’s movie was pretty good. But I grew up in the Chicago area during the Jordan era of the Bulls. But the movie seemed to be well written, and Matt Damon can always bring a fun energy to a movie.

Almost immediately after seeing that movie I saw the trailer for Flaming Hot and was just “Nope”. I have zero connection to that corporate product, so I have no interest in seeing a 2 hour movie (or propaganda film for Frito-Lay or whoever). And if it is total bullshit, instead of the usual tenuously connected to reality, that is even better.

I bet it helps to get a movie off the ground in the era of streaming if you can pitch it as a 2 hour product placement to a giant company. Get a lot of your production costs subsidized before you even start the project. I also wonder what that does to residuals, like does it continue to provide ad revenue by remaining available for streaming? I guess it would be a contract by contract thing.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

more interested in the origin story of the kit kat big kat bar tbh

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Flamin' Hot being a lie is funnier because if you actually watch the movie its borderline a cartoon: not only are there several Family Guy style cutaways gags but the lead wears a mullet wig that wouldn't look out of place in an end-of-night SNL sketch for the entire movie. It somehow feels even less real than the Weird Al parody biopic. The idea that any facet of it is even a little true is so absurd that I kind of embrace it lol

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What about the Tetris movie? Didn't they turn what was an actual compelling IRL story into a Cold War espoinage thing?

I've never understood these movies, though. Like, are they just made for people who would never watch a documentary? I have zero interest in watching Michael Keaton steal McDonalds or whatever, but I'd enjoy a 20 minute YouTube doc covering the actual corporate backstabbing.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 23, 2023

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I need a movie about people trying to market everyone's favorite old timey candy flavor "horhound" and drink flavor "horelick"
It will be called "Something Awful"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Wolfsheim posted:

It somehow feels even less real than the Weird Al parody biopic

That's impressive, considering Weird ends with Al being assassinated by his ex-girlfriend and leader of a drug cartel, Madonna, after he wins an unnamed major award for his 1985 global smash hit song Amish Paradise.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
The king Kong anime Skull Isnand was pretty funny and neat. Surprising!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

feedmyleg posted:

I've never understood these movies, though. Like, are they just made for people who would never watch a documentary? I have zero interest in watching Michael Keaton steal McDonalds or whatever, but I'd enjoy a 20 minute YouTube doc covering the actual corporate backstabbing.

The Founder was pretty entertaining though and definitely doesn’t feel like a McDonalds funded vehicle since the corporation doesn’t come off looking that great. Good performances too. That one is more like a standard slightly fictionalized biopic that has been around forever.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

What about the Tetris movie? Didn't they turn what was an actual compelling IRL story into a Cold War espoinage thing?

In general I agree with this sentiment, but both Tetris and The Founder are really fun watches.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Orvin posted:

I bet it helps to get a movie off the ground in the era of streaming if you can pitch it as a 2 hour product placement to a giant company. Get a lot of your production costs subsidized before you even start the project. I also wonder what that does to residuals, like does it continue to provide ad revenue by remaining available for streaming? I guess it would be a contract by contract thing.

what it portends is a little depressing. movie studios are collapsing all over, the free money interest rate financing days are over, and corporations are stepping in with advertising budgets. I see a lot of movie length Mac and Me mcdonalds dance numbers in the future.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Famethrowa posted:

what it portends is a little depressing. movie studios are collapsing all over, the free money interest rate financing days are over, and corporations are stepping in with advertising budgets. I see a lot of movie length Mac and Me mcdonalds dance numbers in the future.

But is it so bad if we get more of the equivalent of the Fred Savage advertising vehicle “The Wizard”?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I am looking forward to the Barbie movie even if that is one movie-length commercial

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Air sucked IMO. There's no real conflict, no antagonist, it's barely a story. The whole point of business movies is to show all the backstabbing and evil deeds. Beanies and Blackberry look much more interesting in that regard than the spicy cheeto movie.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I haven't seen Air or Flamin' Hot, but Tetris and The Founder were both very watchable.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The bear is so good

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

The bear is so good

Yeah it is, just finished episode 4. Was extremely amused by the Holiday Road needle drop right before the kid from the Vacation reboot showed up, but then I realized he was the kid in We're the Millers.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

For a good chunk of that episode I thought he was the other brother from Shameless.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

veni veni veni posted:

The bear is so good

Holy poo poo the end of episode two!!!!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah it is, just finished episode 4. Was extremely amused by the Holiday Road needle drop right before the kid from the Vacation reboot showed up, but then I realized he was the kid in We're the Millers.

My favorite of the season so far. One of the most endearing 30 minutes of TV I've ever seen. Will Poulter absolutely killed it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Will Poulter should play Lowtax in the Something Awful movie

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i am gonna assume people are joking about these cheetos and sneakers movies. and yes i will be dressing up to the premiere of the barbie movie.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/Hilton_Notes/status/1672079425788321793

If you guys aren't watching the Sex and the City reboot you're missing out on some of the best (worst) cringe in TV history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/Hilton_Notes/status/1672079425788321793

If you guys aren't watching the Sex and the City reboot you're missing out on some of the best (worst) cringe in TV history.

Yeah, I watched all of the original series, although I do think it's pretty overrated. It's not particularly funny, and the characters are all pretty bad, and selfish people, particularly Carrie.

And the new series is somehow even worse. But I can't stop watching. It's still not very funny, and season 1 they spent a lot of time trying to very awkwardly atone for how white the original series was.

And yeah, even with Che only having that one joke, it still wasn't even remotely funny. They couldn't have called in a couple of comedy writers to punch up some jokes?