Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I think the main character is a coyote.

There's a demo up on Steam if anyone wants to try it.
I also liked the trailer music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1phSG24Eog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

flatluigi posted:

i know deciding you're right and arguing about it to the death is your Thing but you're missing the point entirely. even if everyone knows the things you want them to have acknowledged that they know, in-story that confrontation still needs to happen because Something's hosed and they need to know why it's happening. maybe zelda's still involved, and saving/rescuing "part of her" is important! with hindsight you might know that's not true, but that's hindsight from already having seen that plot point and not from the sidequest

Do you mean the side quest that shows she's a dragon and also that Ganon can make shadow Zeldas at will? Because literally all they would have had to do was change dialogue a smidge to something about how it's a trap but you should go kick the door in anyway.

I actually enjoyed TotK, it felt better to play than BotW in almost every way. But it's weird that the random monster squad guys acknowledge your progression more than the main plot NPCs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Len posted:

Do you mean the side quest that shows she's a dragon and also that Ganon can make shadow Zeldas at will? Because literally all they would have had to do was change dialogue a smidge to something about how it's a trap but you should go kick the door in anyway.

I actually enjoyed TotK, it felt better to play than BotW in almost every way. But it's weird that the random monster squad guys acknowledge your progression more than the main plot NPCs.

The main plot NPC's have cutscenes and recorded spoken dialogue in seven languages to contend with.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Voiced dialogue was a mistake for the franchise, got it :hmmyes:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The main plot NPC's have cutscenes and recorded spoken dialogue in seven languages to contend with.

You mean the one that starts around the 2 hour 52 minute mark? Because most of that is unvoiced Purah dialogue where they could have changed dialogue without having to record in seven languages.

https://youtu.be/SvuullomlyM

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Voiced dialogue was a mistake for the franchise, got it :hmmyes:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the sidestories in Blasphemous, like the skeleton lore, they are a bit predictable but overall charming like the gravedigger who buried his entire village, and when it was time for him to die there was no one left to bury him. I also like the weird tortures that people are forced to undergo that they seem to have convinced themselves that they deserve (because they can't accept that things may just be being fucky and it may not have an actual divine plan), like the boy who has an old man's face in his chest that seems to be leeching the age from his real face so that he looks like a child, or the one person who has swords stuck into their torso that they use to upgrade your health.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

Blasphemous, like the skeleton lore

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Eh, they were a bit barebones for my taste.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Len posted:

You mean the one that starts around the 2 hour 52 minute mark? Because most of that is unvoiced Purah dialogue where they could have changed dialogue without having to record in seven languages.

https://youtu.be/SvuullomlyM

You're forgetting the Regional Phenomena cutscenes that're all "Hey, where's Zelda, we saw her go somewhere and she said/did stuff that was kinda weird..." that'd need changing. I fully agree it's a bad plot beat to build on because it get undercut by The master Sword reveal completely, but as-written it's not that easy a thing to fix because you'd be at the very least doubling your cutscene work to account for a Zelda revealed yes/no toggle.

It's also probably why they give you a shadow of each Sage instead of the actual person - They'd have to interact with each-other dynamically otherwise and this way it's just a stacked set of powers. And why they can actually all turn up at the Castle investigation - That Quest is only available after the first four regional phenomena so the game can say for-certain you have all four Sages on-hand.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

At minimum the dungeons should have given different dialog depending on how many you'd finished previously. Sure they would need to record 8 paragraphs of text per dungeon instead of 2 but it would work better for story presentation, since as is the text is SUPER repetitive.

Same problem was in BotW

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Pretty much everything in Trepang2 goes in here so far but my favorite at the moment is how if you sprint at a dude, jump, and melee, you do a flying double boot kick that rebounds you backwards off of them at enough velocity that they go absolutely spiraling away and can get you a story or two up. God drat this game is a rush.

It also has unlockable cheats including big head mode and T-Posing :woop:

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I like the sidestories in Blasphemous, like the skeleton lore, they are a bit predictable but overall charming like the gravedigger who buried his entire village, and when it was time for him to die there was no one left to bury him. I also like the weird tortures that people are forced to undergo that they seem to have convinced themselves that they deserve (because they can't accept that things may just be being fucky and it may not have an actual divine plan), like the boy who has an old man's face in his chest that seems to be leeching the age from his real face so that he looks like a child, or the one person who has swords stuck into their torso that they use to upgrade your health.

blasphemous is literally Catholicism: the Game. like the sword lady is a pretty on-the-nose riff on mater dolorosa.

as someone who was raised in the church and lives in a place covered in medieval gothic churches, i highly appreciate the game's aesthetic.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're forgetting the Regional Phenomena cutscenes that're all "Hey, where's Zelda, we saw her go somewhere and she said/did stuff that was kinda weird..." that'd need changing. I fully agree it's a bad plot beat to build on because it get undercut by The master Sword reveal completely, but as-written it's not that easy a thing to fix because you'd be at the very least doubling your cutscene work to account for a Zelda revealed yes/no toggle.

It's also probably why they give you a shadow of each Sage instead of the actual person - They'd have to interact with each-other dynamically otherwise and this way it's just a stacked set of powers. And why they can actually all turn up at the Castle investigation - That Quest is only available after the first four regional phenomena so the game can say for-certain you have all four Sages on-hand.

I'm not saying this sarcastically, but yes I actually did forget those parts

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BioEnchanted posted:

I've decided to give Blasphemous another go. It's pretty interesting, and I like how frequent the shortcuts end up being, especially in areas like the Sunken Church (which is as far as I've got to far, but unlocking more and more of the opening stairwell therefore making the area far faster to play through is quite satisfying). Due to not being mired in the catholic faith I'm probably going to miss a lot of specific iconography, but I like the obvious stuff like the protagonist's helmet being a similar vibe to a bishop's mitre but wrapped in a crown of thorns, along with their whole thing being self-flallegation via the thorn embedded in the hilt of their sword plus their vow of silence.

The main characters hat isn't supposed to resemble a mitre, it's supposed to resemble the hat that a Penitent wore before they were subjected to punishment, typically being burned alive.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I’ve been playing Kena: Bridge of Spirits and am really enjoying it. One thing they do is have one of the collectibles be little sprite guys, basically just orbs with eyes, that follow you around as you collect them. As you run around in the world they pop up on rocks or tables or whatever. I’d you stop moving they collect all around you and look up at you like “ok what’s next”

Another of the collectibles in the games is little hats you can outfit your guys with :3:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah back when Blasphemous first came out someone called it "Weird Spanish Catholicism: The Game" and that stuck with me ever since

The in-game religion is explicitly not an extant real-world religion but it's definitely got the huge fixation on suffering and torment

I beat it before they put in fast travel and a lot of other things and I know I missed a ton of optional content so I may do it again soon

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
Yeah I thought Blasphemous was a bit OTT with the aesthetic until I went to Malaga during Holy Week and found that it's actually really restrained.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've got the first real power-up to aid exploration, the blood platforms that get you to new areas so that's pretty cool. Also the Inverted Bell is a really cool area.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Axiom Verge 1 had some cool movement options, but the tech of those options seemed a little bit limited. item spoilers: The coolest thing you could do is a scuffed double jump using the drone fire/teleport-to-drone, into a grappling hook, into the same drone jump. You never felt like you needed to, but it did help get up to secrets and places you weren't intended to. At one point i actually got outside the bounds of the map in a save room, but after spending several minutes thinking I found a secret, I realized it might actually just be a bug, since I couldn't do anything with any of my abilities and couldn't go anywhere else.

In Axiom Verge 2, just the drone by itself has more movement options than anything you had in AV1. Since the environments are more open and outdoors, you can really go buck-wild with getting to places you shouldn't. I spent a good three hours last night just as the drone, revisiting a ton of areas with my new mobility upgrades before (story spoilers) getting my body back .

AV2 has much lower lows when initially starting out for weapons/mobility, but at 50% map completion the highs are already much higher.

Plus, at one point you flip back and forth between areas with a portal, then you go one step further into abstraction from your original reality, and if you pay attention to the environment you'll notice the familiar-looking walls are actually the same ones from AV1. to the point that some creatures from AV1's first area are around, but much smaller than before. I think AV2's scale might actually put you as the same approximate size as some of the big robots you talk to from AV1.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If only small indie dev Nintendo had more resources.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I have no idea how many bile flasks there are in Blasphemous, but I just upgraded them and went from 2 to 1, but it's more potent now. hopefully the potency will be worth it :P. I also have 3 empty flasks but have no idea how to use them. I do like that beating bosses and levelling up the Mia Culpa is increasing it's base damage though, that's good. Some of the trickier early enemies now die faster. Also the Barefoot Pilgrim was pretty fun to help :3:

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

BioEnchanted posted:

I have no idea how many bile flasks there are in Blasphemous, but I just upgraded them and went from 2 to 1, but it's more potent now. hopefully the potency will be worth it :P. I also have 3 empty flasks but have no idea how to use them. I do like that beating bosses and levelling up the Mia Culpa is increasing it's base damage though, that's good. Some of the trickier early enemies now die faster. Also the Barefoot Pilgrim was pretty fun to help :3:

You go to those rooms with the blood fountains to fill the bile flasks

What a great game

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Manager Hoyden posted:

You go to those rooms with the blood fountains to fill the bile flasks

I love sentences

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Thanks, now I have 3 of them, and at this point enough points to fill my fourth. i'm onto my second of the three main bosses, the three laser ghosts with fire chasing you up the room. Not too difficult but a fun fight. Not beaten it yet though. No idea what the point of the white woman who asks you if you need her assistance is though, as all she seems to do is show up in boss fights and when i'm low on health she's like "PENITENT ONE!" and it's like "I KNOW!"

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:18 on Jun 23, 2023

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

that is a choice, yessir.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

BioEnchanted posted:

Thanks, now I have 3 of them, and at this point enough points to fill my fourth. i'm onto my second of the three main bosses, the three laser ghosts with fire chasing you up the room. Not too difficult but a fun fight. Not beaten it yet though. No idea what the point of the white woman who asks you if you need her assistance is though, as all she seems to do is show up in boss fights and when i'm low on health she's like "PENITENT ONE!" and it's like "I KNOW!"

White ladies, am I right?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I beat that fight now, and it was clear what good she is - she does heal you, you just need to avoid getting hit for a while because it takes a long time to fire it off. not a bad option though, saves you bile flasks.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I picked up Brotato for a song and a dance and it’s a really fun Vampire Survivors-like.

The game allows you to equip 6 weapons simultaneously and contains a weapon upgrade system where you can combine two of the same weapon into a higher tier.

This is pretty cool in two ways. The first is that you don’t have to combine the guns right away. Sometimes having an extra weapon is more useful than having a better weapon so there’s an interesting dynamic of when to combine your guns.

If you do have a full inventory and you find an appropriate gun in the shop, buying it will automatically upgrade the gun in your inventory.

Playing a character with 6 melee weapons is just :unsmigghh: incarnate.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

"I only ever played 20 minutes of Ori and the Blind Forest? God, I don't remember any of that. I should delete my save and start over so I can remember the context/motivation of the game, it's been so long."

I should've skipped the prologue, suddenly there's all this dust in my eyes :smithfrog:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I've complained, rightfully, about SWTOR over the years. But in celebration of finally finishing all eight origin stories, I started a Sith Warrior character with the intention of playing them light side. I kept hearing it was a fun time, and it really is. Every Jedi I've met so far has attacked me in a blind rage and then is shocked when I don't kill them. Every time my gal's like "Uh... I didn't want to fight you in the first place. Now listen to me..." In fact, more than one Jedi has become consumed by the dark side because they can't handle a Sith not being a hate-fueled rabid maniac.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
FF16 has occasional recipes and menus at various taverns and one is for the preparation of series staple and chocobo feed, gysahl greens. said recipe can be summarized as "do not eat these. don't do it. don't boil them, don't stew them, for the love of god don't eat them raw. if you absolutely must choke them down then here are five aromatics recommended to cook with them so that you can bear the odor"

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
If you hover over a weapon after finishing a level in Brotato it tells you how much damage the weapon did. No more guessing if a weapon isn’t working out for you!

The items you get are also molded on your body. Towards endgame you’re covered in spikes and bandannas and other fun stuff.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

moosecow333 posted:

If you hover over a weapon after finishing a level in Brotato it tells you how much damage the weapon did. No more guessing if a weapon isn’t working out for you!

The items you get are also molded on your body. Towards endgame you’re covered in spikes and bandannas and other fun stuff.

Yeah they've added a lot of nice QoL features over the updates like that. The whole second stat menu on the store screen is really useful.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Holy poo poo, Ori and the Blind Forest walked so that Ori and the Will of the Wisps could run. :stare: I started, finished, and 100%ed BF starting today and thought it was pretty good with the exception of the Wind temple, but it definitely felt short and a bit easy by the end. This first area of WotW is seriously impressive. I've just grabbed a couple of movement upgrades + a ranged attack from a very templey area, and just completed the first race that I've found.

This definitely comes back to the same thing Hollow Knight did, you can tell they spent a lot of time on just making sure that your button presses on the controller immediately and precisely reflect what you're trying to do on screen. It helps that the primary method of attack in this one is a blade made of pure light, instead of the sorta-wonky auto-aim machine gun from the first game, so it also immediately feels a lot like Hollow Knight anyway :v:

I was too much of a wuss to go straight to Hard mode, but I found (and am going to be wearing) the Reckless shard for the entire game, where you deal 10% more damage but take 10% more damage. I've got that upgraded already to 25%/25%, and my only real complaint about combat so far is that if I strike downwards with the melee attack in the air, I don't bounce off enemies. Otherwise that Shard I have equipped makes all the fights more tense, but a lot snappier since I deal extra damage. It would definitely be possible (using just the shards I've found so far) to completely change how aggressive you want to be in the game, and be directly rewarded for your equipment choices.

Best thing though: Ori in this game reminds me so much of my cat, they run in such similar and scrambley ways, it's wonderful. :allears:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

moosecow333 posted:

I picked up Brotato for a song and a dance and it’s a really fun Vampire Survivors-like.

The game allows you to equip 6 weapons simultaneously and contains a weapon upgrade system where you can combine two of the same weapon into a higher tier.

This is pretty cool in two ways. The first is that you don’t have to combine the guns right away. Sometimes having an extra weapon is more useful than having a better weapon so there’s an interesting dynamic of when to combine your guns.

If you do have a full inventory and you find an appropriate gun in the shop, buying it will automatically upgrade the gun in your inventory.

Playing a character with 6 melee weapons is just :unsmigghh: incarnate.

Brotato is a blast but I wish there was more to it. I mean, I know what it's going for and it hit it pretty well. I just get frustrated at how many runs ultimately accomplish nothing. I'm not here to play, I'm here to meta progress

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
There isn't really any meta progression beyond characters though isn't there? I guess each character brings a new item unlock but that's about it

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
In the new FF they have a thing called Active Time Lore that you can use pretty much whenever - it’s purpose is to remind you of whatever the hell is going on. So if some people are talking and they mention a person or country that you don’t recognize/remember, you can fire up the ATL and it’ll have notes on whatever is currently being discussed.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Joey Freshwater posted:

In the new FF they have a thing called Active Time Lore that you can use pretty much whenever - it’s purpose is to remind you of whatever the hell is going on. So if some people are talking and they mention a person or country that you don’t recognize/remember, you can fire up the ATL and it’ll have notes on whatever is currently being discussed.

The Pillars of Eternity games (as well as Tyrany) have anything important like names or factions or events as hyperlinks in dialog, and mousing over them gives a tool tip explaining what it is. Such a great idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I've been spending a lot of time exploring in the second Ori game, to the point that I realized I needed to just carry on with the main quest to get some of the basic stuff out of the way, like purifying the nasty purple water. I just reached the point where the game gave me the main actual quest of gathering the four other wisps. I went back to the Silent Woods so I could wrap up a few things, ended up going to the desert as my next big place to explore, and I just got the map and the new ability for the area. I'm less than one-third finished in just the overworld of the desert, not even counting whatever building I have to go into to get the wisp.

Game's good! (and loving big!)