Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jim Cramer
Sep 18, 2009
drat I feel horrible for the teenager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

the ship was called Titanic the sub was called Titan that means the next one will be called Tit

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

https://i.imgur.com/7VoIWsO.mp4

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Blast from the past

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Kamrat posted:

Well theres this video of one guy who survived for days at the bottom of the ocean in a sunken ship before being found by divers if you want some real nightmare fuel

Need a link, my stomach’s not tied up in enough knots yet

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

lol

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

oh dope posted:

I'm loving beyond stupified at the incomprehensible idiocy of this whole thing. Like my brain goes fuzzy just trying to wrap my head around this utter nonsense.

CEO has his company build shoddy, corner-cutting, dangerous product to be used by gullible customers, like usual, but forgets the part where he's not supposed to use the product himself

that or it was the standard performative "Look, everyone, I'm so sure that it's perfectly safe that I'll even use it myself(once, and then never again)" except that this one was so unsafe that even one time was too much

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Now THAT'S a legacy

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Steve Yun posted:

imagine you've been trapped in a sunken boat for 3 days, you're certain that you are doomed, and then some frogman pops out of the water and shines a flash light in your face.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Based on the video where he was talking about that controller, there's five of the controllers on the ship that they can swap out of something's wrong with the controller, and from his description it sounds like it was only used for the thrusters, such as the sticks themselves, also they were using the wireless connection. In any case I don't know why everybody is so up in arms about them using a controller when it was easily the least worst part of that entire design. Hell even the military uses Xbox 360 controllers to control their flying drones, they've talked about them using those all the goddamn time
this is not a drone. it's a a commercial vessel with 5 people on it.
so no they do not use xbox 360 controller to fly manned aircraft
and the expensive drones do not use xbox 360 controllers. and they also have an incredible array of redundant stability systems that Stockton did not develop

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

cock hero flux posted:

that or it was the standard performative "Look, everyone, I'm so sure that it's perfectly safe that I'll even use it myself(once, and then never again)" except that this one was so unsafe that even one time was too much

they brought "at least" 24 people to the titanic in this thing and the CEO was driving every 3rd time

he may as well have had a scuba mask hooked up to his own rear end, was how hard he was huffing his own farts

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Turns out the Navy knew this thing imploded days ago (just hours after the titan set off) from some acoustic detection system.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-navy-detected-titan-sub-implosion-days-ago-6844cb12

Error 303
Jan 3, 2001
GET SOME

Steve Yun posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ddGkzIjV0Pw&feature=youtu.be

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Sophy Wackles posted:

Turns out the Navy knew this thing imploded days ago (just hours after the titan set off) from some acoustic detection system.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-navy-detected-titan-sub-implosion-days-ago-6844cb12

or that's what they want you to think, to deter adversaries from fielding submarines :tinfoil:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Sophy Wackles posted:

Yeah I would have figured SOSUS (or modern equivalent) picked this up.

And yet they still pressed on. I guess they needed an excuse to have some ASW training.

This is gonna make a great Netflix documentary.

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

I think everyone is up in arms about the controller because assuming it was real someone posted that this particular controller hadn’t had a driver update since windows XP lmao so it absolutely could not be trusted with current windows

I wouldn’t be surprised if they were running windows XP or earlier

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

james cameron didn't wait long

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

guys i dont mean to brag but i also totally knew that the sub imploded days ago. just didn't feel like disappointing anyone and the last few days of posting have been really fun.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

People latch on to the worst friend controller because it’s emblematic of a cheap and haphazard submarine

But some goons tediously explaining that actually it has enough RAM should set the record straight

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

skooma512 posted:

Yeah I would have figured SOSUS (or modern equivalent) picked this up.

And yet they still pressed on. I guess they needed an excuse to have some ASW training.

This is gonna make a great Netflix documentary.

Contacts need to be confirmed. Especially in Search and Rescue situations.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
the controller is funny because everything else is also funny. the entire thing is cow tools

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the trendy and modern way to control the sub would be with an ipad app

one of the aviation systems i worked on, the operators wanted to bring ipads with them instead of our 10x more expensive and clunky flight certified computers that ran windows xp and internet explorer, but they couldn't. not because ipads didn't work, but because the control software used java applets in a browser app. granted, this was in the mid 2010s, but i know it hasn't ben overhauled yet (because the project eventually ran out of funds and went into storage).

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MylonasMakis/status/1671931460616437768

Barack Obama posted:

You think about what’s happening this week. there’s a potential tragedy unfolding with a submarine that is getting, you know, minute to minute coverage, all around the world. And it’s understandable because we all want and pray for those folks to be rescued. But the fact that’s got more attention than 700 people who sank is –- that’s an untenable situation.

Starting to think liberals are out of touch

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Is dictionary.com brave enough to make "hubris" their word of the day soon? I hope so.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
https://twitter.com/JesseKellyDC/status/1671929706483007497

Really makes you think.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sophy Wackles posted:

So did James Cameron,

quote:

Filmmaker and underwater enthusiast James Cameron has told Reuters in a Zoom interview that his sources reported hearing a “loud bang” on Sunday, similar to the US Navy’s report that it heard an underwater “anomaly” near the wreck of the Titanic on Sunday.
Cameron said he knew the Titan submersible was lost from the start, suspecting it imploded at the time the Titan’s support vessel lost communications one hour and 45 minutes into the mission. “We got confirmation within an hour that there had been a loud bang at the same time that the sub comms were lost. A loud bang on the hydrophone. Loss of transponder. Loss of comms. I knew what happened. The sub imploded,” Cameron said. He added that he told colleagues in an email on Monday, “We’ve lost some friends,” and, “It’s on the bottom in pieces right now.” The five who died mark the first deep-sea fatalities for the industry, Cameron said.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f08c081c5bb6835

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

it's not that deep

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Horny posting on main, I see

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

cock hero flux posted:

CEO has his company build shoddy, corner-cutting, dangerous product to be used by gullible customers, like usual, but forgets the part where he's not supposed to use the product himself

I think the other side of it is CEO is like "I slapped all this poo poo together and look what it can do. It breaks a lot but we have been able to get it going again all these other times, we'll just keep doing it since we're geniuses"

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

This is one of the main guys always explicitly calling for a fascist takeover of the US and he doesn't understand that the Titanic doesn't have air in it anymore.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

covidstomper58 posted:

I think the other side of it is CEO is like "I slapped all this poo poo together and look what it can do. It breaks a lot but we have been able to get it going again all these other times, we'll just keep doing it since we're geniuses"

How hard can it be really?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That mega thread earlier about all the safety features in the Deepsea Challnger was pretty impressive

https://twitter.com/alwaystheself/status/1671980973754294285?s=46&t=Kzmv5HsyFqNWsBcA-dIRLA

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Cassette Moodcore posted:

I think everyone is up in arms about the controller because assuming it was real someone posted that this particular controller hadn’t had a driver update since windows XP lmao so it absolutely could not be trusted with current windows

The funniest thing about the controller to me, is that I have that exact same make and model, minus the aftermarket nips, sitting on a side table next to me, that I bought like nearly a decade ago, for $20CAD. It's just, so absurd. And it's a terrible controller to boot, I only still use it because the brainworms don't let me replace anything that still 'works'. It's deadzones are massive, it frequently gets a stuck input and needs to be turned off and on again to clear it and it's wireless -sucks- the worst out of any device I have. It pretty much needs a direct LoS to the dongle or it starts getting finicky lmao. I literally bought a usb extension cable for the dongle just so it'd not drop inputs so drat much.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

How hard can it be really?

We have Windows Vista experts. Look at these desktop gadgets, this one shows our speed and this one shows our depth, our software guy who said one time "We need to remap your controller buttons and it will be a very difficult process underwater" built these on a Tuesday.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

VectorSigma posted:

the ship was called Titanic the sub was called Titan that means the next one will be called Tit

Pity the fool who steps into the one after that.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

This is one of the main guys always explicitly calling for a fascist takeover of the US and he doesn't understand that the Titanic doesn't have air in it anymore.

If this event has taught me nothing else it's that there's a hell of a lot of people don't understand what pressure is and/or think it works like a vacuum.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

That mega thread earlier about all the safety features in the Deepsea Challnger was pretty impressive

https://twitter.com/alwaystheself/status/1671980973754294285?s=46&t=Kzmv5HsyFqNWsBcA-dIRLA

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

cock hero flux posted:

iirc he rides every third dive so this was his second

which, you know, is better than having one of his employees turned into canned meat sludge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

cheap dickhead probably made the passengers bring their own AA batteries too