Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Wow! Double plus gently caress Apex!

I hate how he just laughs about making the right decision because it was basically the one that made the most money. I hate video games these days.

edit: cursed KRABER snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Blind Duke posted:

By the interviews words it was not going to innovate much, mostly iterate and polish what was there.

I don't care :blastu:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
On one hand heroes are extremely not my jam and I don’t like the apex visual style but on the other hand… I miss titanfall so bad

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I still miss Titanfall.

But if your entire office is getting fired up by a prototype, you've got to see where that goes. I can't resent them for that, even if it buried Titanfall 3.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah and honestly, titanfall has had way more chances to be more popular than it is than most other games I know. How many other games have had as many revival events as this series only for it to burn out in like, a week?

I don't blame them for apex, even if apex is poo poo.

Kinda wish we got another titanfall campaign though, it was so good.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I can't hate on anyone for getting a fat paycheck. They saw an opening in the br genre and did really well so props to them.

It does annoy me that he says people get burnout on multiplayer and then they release a multiplayer only game but it's whatever

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Probably because titanfall lacks the monetization / fomo to keep ‘em coming back as compared to a BR. People burn out on apex but they’re back next season to that sweet sweet battle pass

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Field Mousepad posted:

I can't hate on anyone for getting a fat paycheck. They saw an opening in the br genre and did really well so props to them.

It does annoy me that he says people get burnout on multiplayer and then they release a multiplayer only game but it's whatever

he said people burned out on the intensity of titanfall multiplayer. apex has been designed basically from day one to have a bunch of the most extreme skill gap edges ground down and that actually became increasingly a thing as the game aged and it's clearly a keystone of how the game is designed.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

dogstile posted:

Yeah and honestly, titanfall has had way more chances to be more popular than it is than most other games I know. How many other games have had as many revival events as this series only for it to burn out in like, a week?

Titanfall 2's MP never really stood a fair chance unfortunately because it was sandwiched between BF1 and the newest COD at the time, the post launch game I don't recall being all that substantial considering what was coming out for other FPS titles at the time, and the whole hacking situation.

If Titanfall 3 came out and it tanked Respawn I'd be glad that I at least got one last classic FPS title and not a watered down BR facsimile of what used to be. I could have gone without the SW: Jedi Soulsbournes for another TF3 as well.

I'm sure they could have at least poo poo out a TF3 in conjunction with ongoing dev for Apex, if they could get those two Star Wars titles out I mean why the gently caress not? Yes I'm bitter.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

old Respawn is dead. they were goated and burned hella bright for half as long. now they just make normie poo poo

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Titanfall's 2 MP never really stood a fair chance because it was a step back from Titanfall 1 :smug:

I'm still sad it ended this way but...all good things. Maybe it's good that some games are really fun and then they die, instead of turning into shambling live service money derricks.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Perhaps it's fine that your non-gaas MP mode is played occasionally by people who don't want to burn out.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

General Battuta posted:

Titanfall's 2 MP never really stood a fair chance because it was a step back from Titanfall 1 :smug:

Eh, it never launched on a real console so I'll never know :smug:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Another thing that kept Apex going is the format. It's a BR with random loot distribution, which means that the strictly superior players get bad beats and eliminated. Sometimes the scrubs win that one.

I can assure you that the scrubs NEVER win a Titanfall 2 match. They get their poo poo pushed in. It was always funny to go to the Titanfall 2 Reddit whenever the game would get a revival; there would be a dozen or so people posting their 34:2 K/D ratios and then a week later crying about all the players leaving. No poo poo!

Anyway seeing the dev chortle over burying Titanfall 3 was a hard one to watch. I am not sure people left because of "the intensity". We all loved the intensity. I played the game with a group of 9 IRL friends and nobody ever said a word about the intensity. They quit because they got tired of getting stomped. They play the dwarf asteroid game now.

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014
I would definitely play a titanfall co-op horde shooter.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The Huge Manatee posted:

I would definitely play a titanfall co-op horde shooter.

Buddy, I have some great news. Google Frontier Defense.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I feel like if Frontier Defense had been in on day one the game would've stood a chance, but it was only added in after the playerbase died which is pretty tragic.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I played a match once where a dude on the opposite team only killed grunts, ai, etc. No pilot kills. His team won, he had like 200+ points

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Should've added grunts etc. to the other game modes besides Attrition and Bounty Hunt like in 1, I definitely would have played more modes if they did that

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

FastestGunAlive posted:

I played a match once where a dude on the opposite team only killed grunts, ai, etc. No pilot kills. His team won, he had like 200+ points

Yeah this was how TF1 dealt with the "getting buttslammed by a Gen 10 guy with an amped EVA" problem, you could try to avoid him and farm the NPCs, or get in your Titan and at least force him to fight you with something other than that amped EVA. Then TF2 dropped Attrition as its core mode in favor of Bounty Hunt and ???

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Pushing BH was a bit weird because if getting absolutely shitted on by some no life king going a billion miles per hour wasn't bad enough, now you could get griefed and progress stolen even doing your little bit part for the team. The community being like "why the gently caress is there no attrition" was a right outrage.

Overall TF1 combat > TF2

Real space cowboys know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS-L6rg3ygA

Tokubetsu fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 23, 2023

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Attrition always seemed more popular than BH to me

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

What? When did they push BH as the ‘core mode’? As long as I’ve been queuing for Titanfall 2 attrition has been by far the most common.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

John DiFool posted:

What? When did they push BH as the ‘core mode’? As long as I’ve been queuing for Titanfall 2 attrition has been by far the most common.

The beta test thing they had the summer before the game shipped didn't have it (it had 3 other modes) and they were very shifty about whether or not it'd be in the full game until like a month or two out from launch.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

John DiFool posted:

During beta and launch BH was the flagship mode. Like “less wallrunning,” “less AI” and “less Titans” it was one of those TF2 changes they had to pretty hastily backpedal on.

TF2 has been valorized pretty hard, but when it launched a lot of people saw it as a big step back. I refunded it and didn’t play again for months.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I never played anything but attrition

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yes a lot of people threw tantrums. We remember.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Bounty hunt was never the flagship mode or pushed over attrition, also it's a better game than 1 :colbert:

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

I never played 1, 2 is pretty much a perfect game. Haters gonna hate.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2023/07/11/no-anthem-titanfall-revivals-with-ea-now-fully-risk-averse/amp/

quote:

Titanfall lasted two games, but while its lore persists into Apex Legends, the battle royale, there’s little indication the series will ever get a fully new installment. The best we get is Respawn saying “maybe we might think about hoping to do that someday!”

These games will not be revived, sequels will not be fashioned for them anytime remotely soon, if ever. Probably not ever. Why? All you have to do is look at EA’s upcoming slate of games to understand. At this point, EA has become almost entirely risk-averse, sticking to past series that have name ID and now tapping into some of the biggest entertainment IPs on the market, namely Star Wars and Marvel.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*
EA corporate can just go die in a fire somewhere.

I have a friend at Respawn, they had most of the pre-production on TF3 complete. What a waste of resources and a great IP.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Well, some dumb judge whose son works for Microsoft and doesn't understand consoles or videogames just ruled that Microsoft can buy Activision so we're in for another decade or two of this awfulness.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

Does the takeover kick out Bobby Kotic? Because if so, I'll take it. That guy is the worst offender

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Fatrick posted:

Does the takeover kick out Bobby Kotic? Because if so, I'll take it. That guy is the worst offender

The downsides of the FTC losing this case and Microsoft getting another step in on their business strategy of "buying poo poo to build a moat around it to destroy our rivals" and other businesses seeing this and starting their own dogshit mergers are not worth one corporate rear end in a top hat taking their golden parachute to some other industry.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bobby Kotick has enough ties with the dark side of Holywood and will get enough money from his "stepping down from CEO" that I doubt he's gonna touch the industry again.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well, some dumb judge whose son works for Microsoft and doesn't understand consoles or videogames just ruled that Microsoft can buy Activision so we're in for another decade or two of this awfulness.

It's a good thing Activision/Blizzard doesn't have any good games.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Fatrick posted:

EA corporate can just go die in a fire somewhere.

I have a friend at Respawn, they had most of the pre-production on TF3 complete. What a waste of resources and a great IP.

It was revealed recently that TF3 was cancelled internally, EA didn't even know until afterwards when they were presented with the Apex build.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

Not according to my friend who works there. It was a corporate decision, not a developer decision. Respawn had a lot of work done. Including some very early content, playable proof of concept stuff, story, character and design elements consistent with a project in pre-production. It was a non-insignificant amount of work. The studio wanted to put the game out, the corporate purse strings didn't want to continue the project.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Fatrick posted:

Not according to my friend who works there. It was a corporate decision, not a developer decision. Respawn had a lot of work done. Including some very early content, playable proof of concept stuff, story, character and design elements consistent with a project in pre-production. It was a non-insignificant amount of work. The studio wanted to put the game out, the corporate purse strings didn't want to continue the project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIZXzkDpto4&t=234s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

And in text form: https://www.dexerto.com/gaming/former-apex-legends-dev-sheds-light-on-scrapped-titanfall-3-development-2176306/