Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Google Jeb Bush posted:

iirc he rides every third dive so this was his second

which, you know, is better than having one of his employees turned into canned meat sludge

i wish he wasn't on the trip so everyone would get his rear end now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

skooma512 posted:

Yeah I would have figured SOSUS (or modern equivalent) picked this up.

And yet they still pressed on. I guess they needed an excuse to have some ASW training.

This is gonna make a great Netflix documentary.

tbh I'm not actually mad about usn and uscg using this as a top notch training exercise that might actually do something good or at least science advancing, they do those with no particular other objective all the time

uscg got in a bunch of open ocean search practice and usn gets to test out their protocols and widgets to purloin Russian and Chinese submarine wrecks

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Would you say that their bodies were creamated? :dadjoke:

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Jawnycat posted:

The funniest thing about the controller to me, is that I have that exact same make and model, minus the aftermarket nips, sitting on a side table next to me, that I bought like nearly a decade ago, for $20CAD. It's just, so absurd. And it's a terrible controller to boot, I only still use it because the brainworms don't let me replace anything that still 'works'. It's deadzones are massive, it frequently gets a stuck input and needs to be turned off and on again to clear it and it's wireless -sucks- the worst out of any device I have. It pretty much needs a direct LoS to the dongle or it starts getting finicky lmao. I literally bought a usb extension cable for the dongle just so it'd not drop inputs so drat much.

Look at the next CEO of OceanGate posting here!

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
To the billionaires, the Titanic she beckoned
"We rich and invincible!" they reckoned.
Except that their sub
Was built by a scrub
So they died in just one millisecond

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Based on the video where he was talking about that controller, there's five of the controllers on the ship that they can swap out of something's wrong with the controller, and from his description it sounds like it was only used for the thrusters, such as the sticks themselves, also they were using the wireless connection. In any case I don't know why everybody is so up in arms about them using a controller when it was easily the least worst part of that entire design. Hell even the military uses Xbox 360 controllers to control their flying drones, they've talked about them using those all the goddamn time

Oh so people are inside the drones flying them around with the xbox controllers from inside? Or do jet planes and navy submarines and other manned vehicles also use game controllers?

ethanol posted:

the victor 6000 is a very serious super bot by very serious frenchies though so it probably has some very serious looking panels

here's some pictures from nasa tho

we all use the xbox/ps4 controllers. usually u use a xbox controller to test poo poo not really run it in a life depending capacity lol.

although if I said I hadn't driven myself around by xbox controller multiple times id be lying

how many of those are being used by an occupant from within the thing that it is controlling?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7247556127716543787

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
it would have made zero difference in their survival but it's a sign of how unserious they were about it all.

fullerene
Apr 29, 2022

Funky See Funky Do posted:

If this event has taught me nothing else it's that there's a hell of a lot of people don't understand what pressure is and/or think it works like a vacuum.

"how many atmospheres can this ship withstand?"

"well, it's a spaceship, so I'd say anywhere between zero and one"

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

sigher posted:

Would you say that their bodies were creamated? :dadjoke:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i will use a dreamcast controller for my custom submersible, and my blackbox recorder will be the VMU

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

uber_stoat posted:

imagine you've been trapped in a sunken boat for 3 days, you're certain that you are doomed, and then some frogman pops out of the water and shines a flash light in your face.

The diver got the worse end of the bargain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bh2h2x6u18&t=510s

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

I'm just happy we came together as a community to see this whole thing through.
:blessed:

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Presto posted:

Except that their sub
Was built by a scrub

Meter's not quite right but I'm stealing this anyway, thanks!

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

If they would’ve had a game genie they could’ve leaped clear out of the ocean to safety.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

how many of those are being used by an occupant from within the thing that it is controlling?
for something carrying passengers?
one none

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Reading a lot of reports that this was just a big social media publicity stunt - have you seen this? The owner was last quoted as saying wow, this blew up.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

how do these people remember to exist?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
yeah i know it was James Cameron's Titanic, but watching some clips of the ship breaking apart and sinking and the sheer terror of it all, especially as the lights start flickering and people are just leaping to their death. it's a loving movie but it is so goddamn well done i get scared and teary-eyed because gently caress, this happened, people died and there was no hope for many of them.

and this is what these five people wanted to see. the barebones of where a good few hundred people died. and they died in terror and suffering, unlike these rich fucks.

imagine if poo poo like the Nazi concentration camps were off limits to the general public, but you cooooould go if you paid a lot of money. it's loving ghoulish. look at me, i saw where a lot of people died! oh, you saw it in a movie? Pft, low class.

it is kinda sad the CEO was on board. I'd love to see him try to explain this poo poo away.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

That DICK! posted:

Reading a lot of reports that this was just a big social media publicity stunt - have you seen this? The owner was last quoted as saying wow, I crushed it.

ftfy

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
I just can't stop laughing at everything surrounding this. It's so cartoonishly stupid and I can't really understand how anyone would pay money to get into a homemade submarine except in some sort of euthanasia coaster situation.

Hub Dirt
Apr 26, 2008

Presto posted:

Except that their sub
Was built by a scrub

exceptional

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Cowslips Warren posted:

yeah i know it was James Cameron's Titanic, but watching some clips of the ship breaking apart and sinking and the sheer terror of it all, especially as the lights start flickering and people are just leaping to their death. it's a loving movie but it is so goddamn well done i get scared and teary-eyed because gently caress, this happened, people died and there was no hope for many of them.

and this is what these five people wanted to see. the barebones of where a good few hundred people died. and they died in terror and suffering, unlike these rich fucks.

imagine if poo poo like the Nazi concentration camps were off limits to the general public, but you cooooould go if you paid a lot of money. it's loving ghoulish. look at me, i saw where a lot of people died! oh, you saw it in a movie? Pft, low class.

it is kinda sad the CEO was on board. I'd love to see him try to explain this poo poo away.

But also you have to wear gas masks to visit Auschwitz and a single point of failure immediately exposes you to zyklon B. And the gas mask is made of fleece or some nonsense.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Improbable Lobster posted:

Oh so people are inside the drones flying them around with the xbox controllers from inside? Or do jet planes and navy submarines and other manned vehicles also use game controllers?

sometimes although it has been pointed out to me that often the controllers are just talking to an onboard computer with, well, a stronger wireless signal

the Navy uses Basically Videogame Controllers / wireless computer comms to control externals on at least some of their subs because you'd rather not drill more holes through the pressure hull than absolutely necessary

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Contacts need to be confirmed. Especially in Search and Rescue situations.

Yeah for sure.

As the whole "we heard banging" story would demonstrate.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

FrumpleOrz posted:

I just can't stop laughing at everything surrounding this. It's so cartoonishly stupid and I can't really understand how anyone would pay money to get into a homemade submarine except in some sort of euthanasia coaster situation.

adjacent to Yolo French guy's reasoning

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Buce posted:

how do these people remember to exist?

They yacht instead of submarine, for starters.

But the orcas got their number :unsmigghh:

OP make a poll for "Official Groversubmersible thread theme song"

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
i'm coming clean i've never watched titanic, is it any good

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

R.L. Stine posted:

ignore the romance poo poo. you know the boat sinks. but credit where it is due: Cameron make the thing very loving well. Like the sets and costumes and poo poo, it is spot on. I mean there were historical poo poo he hosed with (I think there was a lawsuit because one mate's family sued over his portrayal) but it was very well made.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Half of it is.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

R.L. Stine posted:

its alright but James should have let in the deleted scene where the radio operator tells the other ship warning them about ice to shut up in cockney

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
That movie blew people's loving minds in 1997. My first GF in 2005 said she was still having dreams based on Titanic. A whole bunch of normies then knew what it felt like to be exposed to a topic and at once develop a desire to learn every last thing about it. IIRC it was still like top 5 highest grossing movie ever well into the 2010s.

And here we are 26 years later and people died trying to be like the first scenes with the modern minisub.

I didn't watch it till like 2018 lol. It was 20 years, I figured the backlash "it's popular so I don't like it" protest I started as an 8 year old had run its course. It's a fine movie, worth a watch.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
For once the money really did trickle down.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

R.L. Stine posted:

A dude falls off as it's sinking and hits the propeller at terminal velocity

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Sardonik posted:

A dude falls off as it's sinking and hits the propeller at terminal velocity

He is then sent spinning until he reaches the water. I thought it was hilarious when I first watched it.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Blow posted:

I doubt they imploded though. Some French guy said the implosion can be picked up on sonar and happens in 20 milliseconds at that depth.

Well, I was wrong about the implosion, but that's cause the French guy said it would have been immediately picked up on sonar. Which turns out it was.

I also made up the 100ms thing. I think it's much faster than that.

All the other poo poo I said was actual physics.

:science:

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Space Kablooey posted:

He is then sent spinning until he reaches the water. I thought it was hilarious when I first watched it.

He makes a satisfying ping when he hits. I involuntarily giggled in the theater when that happened and I got some looks.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Tarkus posted:

He makes a satisfying ping when he hits. I involuntarily giggled in the theater when that happened and I got some looks.

I laughed out loud and also got some looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Marinara trench lol