Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
It depends on what happens when the turret runs out of durability. If it works like walls/bunkers where a nub/blueprint stays behind after it runs out of durability, you don't really need to pair up and you can just self repair.

That being said, its DPS is gonna have to be a lot better than the auto sentries which on Vet take some :effort: to actually kill a single Warrior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Patchnotes:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1268750/view/3656408036722888405

Skipping over the new features (someone else can talk about that)...

Seems like there's a fix for bugs getting shot and sidestepping? Also gunner bug damage reduced. Boooooo on reduced xp from rearms, revives, and heals.

Glad they buffed the base rifle.
Will have to see how the machine gun adjustments play out but it looks more useable.
Not a big fan of the DMR nerfs but adjustments may give it better reach as a sniper rifle.
Will have to see how the changes on the Carbine play out.
Grenade Launcher is now better?

Many of the grenades and explosive deployables were buffed, which is good. Oddly the base grenade was not buffed, and it could seriously use a buff imo.

Someone asked for Build Tool Unbuild speed to be reduced? Why? Looks like they reduced the client size (in megabytes), which is neat.

Overall good changes.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

quote:

When attacked, Bugs now move in the direction away from the damage source instead of staggering backwards from the direction they’re facing.

Looks like sniping's back on the menu boys

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

quote:

Reduced XP gain from rearms, revives, and heals.
Removed XP gain from self-support actions.

Operator
Ability now heals nearby Troopers upon activation.
Decreased ability duration.
Increased ability cooldown.

Big nerfs to Operator XP farming!

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Anyone knw why unbuild was nade slower? Who was asking for that? This seems like a bad change. Now it takes longer to fix a backwards wall, or move a dumb wall, or do any kind of rearranging, or most importantly, escape a base during evac when either your character loses the ability to climb which has happened to me more than a few times now, or its a blocked tunnel.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Slyphic posted:

Anyone knw why unbuild was nade slower? Who was asking for that? This seems like a bad change. Now it takes longer to fix a backwards wall, or move a dumb wall, or do any kind of rearranging, or most importantly, escape a base during evac when either your character loses the ability to climb which has happened to me more than a few times now, or its a blocked tunnel.

All of those seem like good reasons to make unbuild slower? Shouldn't build bad walls in the first place, or move in ways that get you pinned.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Slyphic posted:

Griefing.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Yep. Remember your roots goons. We are the old nerds complaining about this now rather than the dumb kids taking squads into these games and ensuring that there's no buildings up once the rush starts.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Yep. Remember your roots goons. We are the old nerds complaining about this now rather than the dumb kids taking squads into these games and ensuring that there's no buildings up once the rush starts.

I mean yeah, but also I haven't seen this happening often. What's more likely to happen is some dumb pubbie builds a terrible base and also blocks a tunnel.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

CuddleCryptid posted:

Shouldn't build bad walls in the first place, or move in ways that get you pinned.
That's some braindead gitgud advice right there.

It's not my own walls I'm usually fixing. It's some dumb gently caress that's made a series of rampless walls that if you fall down you have to deconstruct to get out, or a blocked tunnel. Or a glitched gate that won't open. Or you get launched off a wall, revive outside and its evac time, and the only safe route is to get back into the base but your climbing is bugged.

For every deconstructing griefer I've seen (1 for sure, maybe 3 total) I've seen 10 people blithely laying down a terrible base that even on vet ARC it's worth the lost ore to deconstruct because it's going to get us all killed. Not sure what my play time is, but I've got all three classes maxed out without XP farming. Probably 60/40 Normal and Vet, and 70/30 ARC and AAS.

This is a dumb bandaid instead of addressing player moderation.

Also, the correct solution for all griefers of all kinds is to kill them over and over and over and over again. Really drives the message home. Especially if you sit on them for a minute starting and stopping to revive them. It's even a bit thematic, like an infiltrator bug, or one being controlled by the brain bug, or just gone plumb loco like that comms dude from the first movie.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I wonder how much extra xp those mutators are since they nerfed it otherwise.

Xp for repairing just seems so obvious and it might help get people to repair buildings during the final siege between bug waves. I was going to suggest xp for building too but that seems like a terrible idea when I thought about it for 2 seconds.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
They switched up loadouts for the classes too.

To everyone's detriment I think yeesh.

EDIT: Turret repair isn't a problem at all. The Improved Tool Repairs it in like half a second and even the base tool is fast enough. You'll honestly spend more time just holding F to hop on than repairing it. It's really high damage as you'd expect but it aims like molasses and doesn't give hit confirms.

Gunner damage has been noticeably nerfed. While I felt the SAW damage reduction it's not terrible and the sheer power of a 200-base magazine makes up for it. Emancipator's visual kickback is insane and it's accuracy is basically crouch and pray now.

The mutators are ridiculous. Like 30+ gunners on normal and 6 guys made it out on normal with warrior +SPD/+DAM.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 22, 2023

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

This patch is going to be controversial.

edit: after my first round I have changed my tune. it is going to be uncontroversial because everyone will agree it is very bad.

All classes had utility and perk options removed
Infestations are super rare and you have a much longer time to deal with them. Veteran is a joke difficulty now.
Morita Mk1 and Carbine still need more love

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 22, 2023

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Operator lost the DMR holy poo poo. I guess they are trying to differentiate the classes but gently caress does that suck.

Hell, just all the loadouts, holy poo poo.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

limp_cheese posted:

Operator lost the DMR holy poo poo. I guess they are trying to differentiate the classes but gently caress does that suck.

Hell, just all the loadouts, holy poo poo.

I guess they wanted the classes to have more distinct identities but yeah the loss of customization is pretty bad.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

This game is made by the devs who managed to turn a promising FPS into Squad, so it really shouldn't come as a surprise that there are some very questionable design decisions being made.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

turn off the TV posted:

This game is made by the devs who managed to turn a promising FPS into Squad, so it really shouldn't come as a surprise that there are some very questionable design decisions being made.
Do please expound on that process, would you?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Just played a match where the mutators made mostly drones spawn that did more damage but moved slower. Was more intense than I expected.

Edit: And now I'm seeing that the mutators are the same until an hour has passed.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Slyphic posted:

Do please expound on that process, would you?

The game launched pretty barebones and significantly changed over the course of development as they added more features. I really enjoyed the initial alpha, but by the time it hit 1.0 it was basically a different game and one that I really didn't enjoy playing.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

turn off the TV posted:

The game launched pretty barebones and significantly changed over the course of development as they added more features. I really enjoyed the initial alpha, but by the time it hit 1.0 it was basically a different game and one that I really didn't enjoy playing.
I got that. I was curious if you see specific design change parallels between Squad and SST:E yet. Are they making the exact same wrong choices, or just generally bad at game design, or they listen too much to player feedback as opposed to looking at game stats or something?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

LOL Elite Grenadiers and Grenadier packs means the map starts with like, 16-20 higher damage grenadiers. It looked like we were fleet getting plastered with plasma in the movie. Base died pretty much instantly.

I expected mutators to be different per round tbh, not on a timer.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Played a round with the new SAW and I have to say it feels better. With extended mags you get 300 round mags and can carry 900 rounds into battle now. It feels like an LMG. Not a fan of the iron sights and I wish they kept the previous zoom.

I'm not sure if it was a bug or not but I played a map on the new Oil Refinery that had an ore spawn next to base that had a 4 sec refuel timer after 4 ores. I spent the whole game as a bastion just pumping out ore nonstop.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

limp_cheese posted:

Played a round with the new SAW and I have to say it feels better. With extended mags you get 300 round mags and can carry 900 rounds into battle now. It feels like an LMG. Not a fan of the iron sights and I wish they kept the previous zoom.

I'm not sure if it was a bug or not but I played a map on the new Oil Refinery that had an ore spawn next to base that had a 4 sec refuel timer after 4 ores. I spent the whole game as a bastion just pumping out ore nonstop.

It's not a bug, it's in the patch notes that they reduced the CD time to 4 seconds. Why 4 seconds from 240? Who knows!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Slyphic posted:

I got that. I was curious if you see specific design change parallels between Squad and SST:E yet. Are they making the exact same wrong choices, or just generally bad at game design, or they listen too much to player feedback as opposed to looking at game stats or something?

Stuff like reducing how quickly you can deconstruct structures, making incursion spawns less frequent and reducing refinery recharge time is kinda on brand. It would not surprise me if they felt like the kind of person who spends the entire round in ARC building an incomprehensible network of layered walls while only begrudgingly leaving the base is their core demographic.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
We had the fog where you can't see poo poo, no revive, and back to back grenadier packs during, that game was pure insanity. Some dope summoned the Arc done before we killed them all so we went into the base defense finale with the Arc at 50% already.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Had a match with the Nightstar and that thing will send a tiger flying on its rear end.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
New patch sucks. 8 minutes to wipe out a patrol? And only two total in veteran? 4 second cooldown on Ore/Gas?

And don't get me started on Oops! All Drones! Absolute worst mutator. So many drones were spawning at the base that I didn't get attacked once walking solo 450+ meters to and from to get gas.

Veteran Arc mode was already too easy, I don't know why they made it even easier.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Put in probably 5 hours tonight, hopping between Normal and Vet and AAS and ARC to try out as many mutators and loadouts as possible.

The devs hosed up their core gameplay. The only fun left is in specific mutators that make it an actual challenge. I had the most boring waste-of-my-time ARC matches back to back, where nothing happened. Barely any bugs, no real threat to the base. Such a cakewalk that more than half the players were just loving around and arguing while like 3 people actually did anything.

They made Gunners boring. The damage they do is so paltry you have to loving stare at one to be killed by it. Unless you get a Gunner spam mutator, in which case you insta-gibbed along with your entire squad. Hard, but not really in a fun way, mostly just frustrating. They should have either reduced their spread, reduced their burst duration, made them stop shooting and flinch if it, or had them strafe instead of focus fire on targets, or increased their ranged damage dropoff. They chose the stupidest worst option and just cranked the damage too far down.

Warrior and Drone melee damage is so far down that if you get the Health Stims mutator, and you're a Bastion with the melee defense perk, you are literally invulnerable. I sat still and let myself get swarmed by a full pack, at least a dozen of them. They couldn't do enough damage to outpace the healing. It was pathetic. I equipped the build tool and the basic knife and walked between gas and base (they were close) solo and oblivious just to prove it was broken to the rest of the players.

Infestations are WAY down for some inexplicable reason (btw, 'Reduced Patrols' is boring as gently caress) and it's really dragging the fun and challenge of the game down. Just a terrible change.

OH, 'greatly reduced unbuild speed' was a loving travesty. Now instead of breaking the base by unbuilding it, which you can fix by shooting them and then repairing, they spam bad walls that take forever to remove. God forbid someone puts a bunker down in the wrong direction, that poo poo is there for life. 5 people on it and it was crawling, like it was going to take a couple minutes to unbuild. Just terrible game design choice there.

The melee mutators are boring. Melee in this game is boring, doubly so when melee damage is so catastrophically nerfed. No one wants to melee bugs. Luckily, it has no real detriment to the match, it's just a waste of a better mutator slot.

There's some good things in this update, but man oh man are they overshadowed by all the problems.

Sandstorm makes for some really interesting games, and makes the map feel different. And the changes to the evac ship are appreciated, but that's such a small portion of the game time.

I'll play again if there's an interesting set of mutators up, but I'd rather play something else entirely than another boring ARC match

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 23, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah this is all really weird. In the entire time I've spent playing this game I can only remember one time we lost, so making everything easier feels like a wet fart. I've been looking forward to everything getting much harder :(

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Mutators def need to rotate a lot more, if not on a per-mission basis. I don't wanna do 3+ rounds of "lol drones", honestly.

Hunter is basically just shooting bb balls with their sniper now

The reduced cooldown on refineries has to be a typo, right? On arc you can just chill near the closest refinery, there is literally no reason to go to the second refinery that's usually 400+m out.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Most fun I had before this patch was on veteran ARC getting 3 friends and I to do a full hunter squad and only hunt infestations the whole game to try to stem the tide. We still couldn't catch them all and the game went to infestation 5 but we bought our team like 30 minutes of peace so it was a good time and then we fired the arc and won. Sad to hear that's been removed from the game, I guess the devs need some time to figure out what kind of game they're making

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

So far Fast Warriors is one of my favorite mutators. They get some japanese-horror-movie-creepy-girl level speed and it makes getting anywhere alone practically impossible, felt a bit more like "old" veteran difficulty.

Edit: Grenadier ambush is silly

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 24, 2023

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Mutators to watch for

We Got Bugs - increases wave spawns and composition to old Vet ARC levels, really what the baseline experience should be. A solid match

Warrior Ambush - HORDE MODE, incredibly hard, incredibly fun, Solos need not apply, impossible without careful teamwork at all times. The best mutator I've played yet.

Drone Ambush + Elite Drones (or any other drone damage buff) - Like an easier version of above, still fun (at least the resource runs, base defense less so), bring carbines and mk1s instead of SAWs, GLs, or sniper rifles, and plenty of ammo fabs.

I'm basically skimming the Mutator sets each hour for a combo worth playing, and unless it's one I've never seen before or one of the above, I just go do something else for an hour and come back.

Followup:

Mutators to always skip

Warrior Rush - looks dumb as hell. Just awful immersion ruining dumb lolshit. Like a Roblox mod.

Grenadier Ambush - FPS drops to 0 when they spawn, everyone dies to the first couple volleys. Usually kills the ARC instantly and you just lose the match with basically nothing you could have done. But also, Grenadiers despawn (burrow back into the earth) on extraction, so it's a total bugless snoozefest.

Patrol Disruption - the match will be empty and boring. It means basically nothing will spawn, and you spend 30 minutes not shooting bugs which is antithetical to SST.

I refuse to play a game with any of those mutators, even if they have one of the above good mutators.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 25, 2023

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Just finished a Normal AAS game with Warrior Spawn on. Warrior Spawn is ridiculous. We spent a good 30 mins doing an ore collection because even with scan beacons everywhere the bugs kept us in a bunker. Somehow we extracted with everyone after 50 mins but it was just stupid. I personally as an Operator had 670 kills and other guys were saying the had over 900. I know I asked for more bug spawns so I guess that monkey paw was my doing.

I can't even imagine trying to do that on Veteran even with an experienced team.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

limp_cheese posted:

I can't even imagine trying to do that on Veteran even with an experienced team.
I did that last night. Took us almost two hours to complete. We had people dropping out of the game constantly because they couldn't handle it, until we finally assembled a crew of people up to the challenge and ready to play some actual co-op. 8 were solely base defense and even then we had the ARC down to 10% at one point. The other 8 were doing supply runs as one group. Every time we got back with a couple cans of ore, we built an HMG because it can't run out of bullets. We had a good base location for it. We sat them up far back in the corner near the ARC with really long wide open spaces and let the walls fall just defended the base with bullets. Once we got the third HMG up it wasn't too bad on defense. Success and 16/16. Would play again in a heart beat. I loved how it filtered out the people that wanted to play ARC as silent solos.

I forgot to get a screenshot, but we had two guys over a thousand, another couple over 900, and our average across the board was above 700.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah this drone mode is just weird, surely this wasnt their intention? If this was the first type of match I joined when I was new I'd probably have dismissed the game outright.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

MI does the dyin, then it does the flyin
https://i.imgur.com/NgUKzP9.mp4

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

God I wish they’d rolled the patch back. This was my game right now and it’s really, really dull atm.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
They absolutely need to undo the difficulty changes, but with the right modifiers it's still playable right now. I guess we'll see!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Some of these mutators are allright; but I feel like they should be on top of existing spawn mechanics, not instead of. Drone mutators are just boring because it seems to drown out 99% of any other spawns. I like all the Warrior related ones even if the speed one looks a bit janky. Getting a near-zero visibility dust map and having those speedy warriors with increased melee dmg is some horror movie poo poo.

I used to hate on the nightstar mace mutator because it turned drone kills into twoshots instead of oneshots, but the ability to stun groups of warriors with a single stab during reloading is really fuckin good.

Gunner/Grenadier ambushes are funny because of the sheer panic on voice when it happens but having a base get completely cratered before you can even kill half of them feels bad.