Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I think we'll be alright, our reputation amongst doggos is great, and who doesn't want to be pals with doggos?

Que next update where learn doggos are in fact Ice-T portraying a dog, and he's mad as all hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the player always starts with considerable positive rep with dogs. not sure if this is particular to the player or if dogs just like everyone

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
It doesn’t show up in the list of reputation effects, but rep also determine whether animals will let you pet them. Cats won’t let us pet them right now, but if we earn enough cat rep that can change. And if we lose enough dog rep we’ll lose our petting rights as well.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Snake Maze posted:

Next time: Preparing for Golgotha

:sickos:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I love Golgotha

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Alright, time to head back to the surface. Grit Gate is something you could do with a weaker build at half the level, so it'll be a pretty quick trip.

The waydroids here are neutral because of the droid scrambler we grabbed in Joppa. Without it they'd be hostile to us.

Oh hey, it's our first seeker! Seekers of the sightless way are the first psychic enemy most characters are likely to encounter. They attack with sunder mind, which ignores your armor and dodge value to instead target your mental armor. Mental armor is pretty much entirely determined by your willpower - gear that can increase it is incredibly rare. Our willpower is pretty bad, so this guy can do a lot of damage. On the tenth turn of sunder mind you take a massive hit that does damage equal to all the damage done on previous turns. We'd probably get oneshot by that even if we healed up mid-sunder.

Fortunately he started sundering from a couple steps away, and not halfway across a room with more enemies bodyblocking for him. Seekers are really squishy once you can hit them.

On the next floor we get rudely interrupted by a grenade to the face.

It's a Putus Templar! She's just a squire, but she's pretty well equipped for this part of the game. If we were here at an appropriate level she might be a bit of a speed bump.

As it is, she can't do much once her one grenade is used up.

The rest of our trip is uneventful. We exit to the world map on the edge of the jungle, not far from Bey Lah.

Our ultimate goal is Golgotha, but there's two stops I want to make first.

The first is Kyakukya, a town in the jungle by the south of the map.

The first person we meet is Indrix, the town's warden.

Not actually what we came here for but sure, always be hustling.

We'll get around to this eventually.

Live and drink.

Inside the house we find the town's mayor.

He's a nice guy, and the real reason we visited the town.

Nuntu can teach you cooking and gathering if you water ritual with him. Since you start at 0 rep and can easily get 200 from the water ritual with him and Indrix, pretty much every character can learn cooking for free from him rather than spending skill points on it. Knowing where the find the guaranteed NPCs that teach good skills through water ritual isn't necessary, but it can be a big help, especially if you're running a low-int character. Since we want a lot of skills from both the longsword and shortsword trees, we don't have many skillpoints to spare yet.

In the upper left corner of town is Yurl, the town's merchant.

He's not selling anything we want to buy, anyway.

On the east edge of town is a shrine to Oboroqoru. It's possible to meet him in person, if you're lucky.

Heading back to the world map, there's one more place I want to go.

Golgotha has a bonus reward for clearing it under level 18, and an additional reward for clearing it under level 12. The level 12 reward is something you'll only aim for with very specialized build, but most characters should be able to clear it before 18. We're level 14 right now, so we can still gain a level or two and get the level 18 reward. We're strong enough that I'd be happy to head for Golgotha right now, but since the game was kind enough to give us a second early game historic site like this, we may as well see if there's anything good.

The Quillyard turns out to be a bit more diverse than our previous historic site. In addition to the hermits and rust monks we saw last time, there's birds and cannibals in the cult. Still doesn't have anything very dangerous.

But what it does have is books.

30 of them just on the first floor! That's a lot, even for a historic site.

We head down to the second floor.

There's a neutral ichor merchant just hanging out. I guess he was selling stuff to the cult? He's happy to stay out of the way as we murder out way through the place.

The second floor is just as filled with books as the first.

On the third floor we hit level 15, triggering a rapid advancement.

Rapid advances happen every level ending with a 5 (5, 15, 25, etc), as long as you have at least one physical mutation that can be leveled up. It gives 3 free levels to the physical mutation of your choice, but it's actually even better than it might look at first. See, mutations normally have a soft cap at level 10 - after that you can't put any more points into them. The levels from rapid advancement don't count towards this cap though, so by rapid advancing a mutation we'll be able to take it past level 10 later on.

In the north we find a pair of vents on the wall.

The ticking vent will constantly emit clockwork beetles, which is a bit of a pain. They're robots, so we can't poison them or put them to sleep. They're weak enough that we can kill them in melee without much trouble, but they can be annoying in large groups.

The other vent emits normality gas, which restricts a lot of the more extradimensional abilities in the game. In our case, depending on how thick the gas is, we'll find it more difficult to use temporal fugue, and any clones who touch the gas will disappear. It's not dangerous here, but it could give us trouble if we encountered it somewhere more dangerous.

RIP in peace, buddy.

It was bound to happen sooner or later. Companions don't really have a survival instinct, so it's only a matter of time until they overextend and get surrounded. In this case I left the room after finishing off the beetles around, but Snakelite must have turned around to fight some new ones that popped out and got overwhelmed.

In the upper left we find another ticking vent.

Good thing beetles can't open doors.

Partway through the floor we get over-encumbered due to all the books we're picking up.

I decide to drop my 32 folding chairs. I'll be kicking myself the next time I need to hold an impromptu conference.

Around here we get hungry, so I use my newfound cooking skill to whip up a meal.

Rather than being a timer like in some roguelikes, in Qud cooking is used to give yourself temporary buffs. Each ingredient has a couple different effects they can give, which fall into three categories - passive effects, conditions, and triggered effects. Passive effects are just standalone bonuses, like increased stats. Conditions and triggered effects are where it gets more interesting - ingredients can give either a condition that has to be met, or a bonus that's activated after the condition is met. For example, meat can give a simple bonus to max hp, but it can also give "Whenever you drop below 20% hp, do [an effect from the other ingredient]", or "When [a trigger from the other ingredient is met], you heal to full 15% of the time." The exact bonuses you get are random, but the right combinations can be really powerful, and there are ways to help tip the odds in your favor.

For now we just get some passive bonuses to our health.

On the next floor we see another new phenomenon.

Normality fields are emitted by the projector. They're like being in the strongest level of normality gas, and never go away or disperse until the projector is turned off.

I reach the chest without encountering a legendary. Not sure if something happened to them or if they just didn't spawn for some reason, but the treasure is ours either way.

Eh. Relics are always very valuable, so we'll probably just sell this.

But the artifact is just a bonus. The real prize is the absurd number of books we found in the site.

Jesus Christ.

For comparison, everything else our character has done until now added up to 56,000 exp.

Well, I guess we won't be getting the reward for clearing Golgotha under level 18 after all. There's no reason to put it off any longer, let's find that waydroid.

I picked up carbide chef with our massive windfall of levels, so traveling to new areas has a chance to inspire us, letting us create a new recipe the next time we cook. I make a meal with the same meat and starapple jam I used last time, but instead of just giving us a random effect, we get this:

The game puts together three possible cooking effects, and lets us choose which one we want.

We get a recipe for the combo we choose, allowing us to trigger that specific combo on demand as long as we have the ingredients. Building up a library of the perfect effect combos is how you make cooking really shine.

Anyway, Golgotha. The surface of Golgotha has a single locked room, and four sets of slimy pits. Our goal is to find a broken waydroid at the bottom of the place and take it back to Grit Gate, but unlike every other place we've visited, there's no stairs. We have to pick a hole and jump.

Usually, in Qud, retreating backwards to heal up is a very strong strategy. New enemies don't spawn in behind you, so you can just hop up the stairs to a floor you already cleared and rest up to full, making as many trips as it takes for you to methodically clear the entire floor. But in Golgotha, that's not an option. You can't retreat, and unless the stars align you're not going to find a safe spot where you can afford to wait and heal up passively. You have to push forward and clear the place in a single charge. It's a big player killer, especially when you're not sure what to expect, but it makes for a cool change of pace.

We're very overleveled and have plenty of healing items, so I'm not too worried, but it's never a sure thing. Each hole has different dangers to deal with, and without some form of precognition or flight we'll have to choose randomly.

Fingers crossed!

Snake Maze fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 23, 2023

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Yessss

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Meant to ask earlier when you got dual wield, but how does that skill work when you have more than 2 arms? Are there advanced abilities like quad-wield that require 4+ arms?

Snake Maze posted:

But the artifact is just a bonus. The real prize is the absurd number of books we found in the site.

Jesus Christ.

For comparison, everything else our character has done until now added up to 56,000 exp.

I see Qud takes "knowledge is power" as a very literary literal thing.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Evil Fluffy posted:

Meant to ask earlier when you got dual wield, but how does that skill work when you have more than 2 arms? Are there advanced abilities like quad-wield that require 4+ arms?

I see Qud takes "knowledge is power" as a very literary literal thing.

Dual Wield applies to your natural offhand and any extra hands or hand-like limbs you grow from being a chimera. It does not apply to the hands you grow from the "Multiple Arms" mutation - their attack chance is determined by the level of the mutation.

So for us, only one of our 4 hands benefits from the dual wield tree.

There's no skills that require 4 hands, but you can find two handed weapons (stronger than the one-handed versions but require two open hands), and you can find gear with the random mod "gigantic", which for melee weapons makes them stronger but require twice as many hands to wield, and they stack. So you could, conceivably, have a four-armed character using all four arms to hold a single massive halberd or something.

edit: Oh, I should probably explain what it actually does too. By default, when you attack an enemy you'll always attack with your primary hand, and have a 15% chance of making an additional attack with your offhand. The dual wield skill tree has three skills, which each raise your chance of attacking with your offhand. Getting the first level takes us up to a 35% chance of attacking, maxing it out will bring it all the way up to 75%. The jab skill in the shortblade tree doubles your chance of making offhand attacks with a shortblade - this stacks with dual wield and can take your attack chance over 100%, in which case you'll always attack and have a chance to attack twice.

Snake Maze fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 23, 2023

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Snake Maze posted:

So you could, conceivably, have a four-armed character using all four arms to hold a single massive halberd or something.

Frankly, goals.

How many pistols can you use at once?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Snake Maze posted:

Dual Wield applies to your natural offhand and any extra hands or hand-like limbs you grow from being a chimera. It does not apply to the hands you grow from the "Multiple Arms" mutation - their attack chance is determined by the level of the mutation.

There's no skills that require 4 hands, but you can find two handed weapons (stronger than the one-handed versions but require two open hands), and you can find gear with the random mod "gigantic", which for melee weapons makes them stronger but require twice as many hands to wield, and they stack. So you could, conceivably, have a four-armed character using all four arms to hold a single massive halberd or something.

edit: Oh, I should probably explain what it actually does too. By default, when you attack an enemy you'll always attack with your primary hand, and have a 15% chance of making an additional attack with your offhand. The dual wield skill tree has three skills, which each raise your chance of attacking with your offhand. Getting the first level takes us up to a 35% chance of attacking, maxing it out will bring it all the way up to 75%. The jab skill in the shortblade tree doubles your chance of making offhand attacks with a shortblade - this stacks with dual wield and can take your attack chance over 100%, in which case you'll always attack and have a chance to attack twice.

Mind, there is something of a way to get around this - you can dual-wield two-handed weapons. So long as they're being wielded in a main off-arm (upper) and a multiple arms mutation arm (lower) on the same side, it treats it as being combined together as a weapon used in a main arm, so you can benefit from multiple arms and dual wield perfectly so long as they're two two-handed weapons.

This is a trick you can do with the Helping Hands artifact as well. I've done dual halberd builds like this and it's great.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

wiegieman posted:

Frankly, goals.

Two, plus one for each Floating Nearby slot with a magnetized pistol in it (magnetized items become floating equipment), plus two if you're a True Kin using the Gun Rack cybernetic. An endgame True Kin with a Gun Rack and an implanted magnetic core (+1 Floating Nearby slot) can conceivably wield as many as seven pistols. Or seven big fuckoff cannons if they implant Giant Hands, as that makes all two-handed weapons one-handed for them.

Extra arms sadly do not give extra ranged weapon slots. They can make you an absolute terror in melee, though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

This is sadly true for the passives, but notably, Flurry still attacks with everything you have equipped.

wiegieman posted:

I think with a Gun Rack implant and three Floating Nearby slots (possible, but only in the deep endgame) a True Man can wield seven guns. They can even be bigger than pistols if you also have Giant Hands.

I might be forgetting some tricky way of pushing it even further, and I also don't recall if Chimeras can grow extra missile slots or not. If they can they could theoretically get even more, but it's very unlikely within the scope of level-matched content.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 23, 2023

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

wiegieman posted:

Frankly, goals.

True Kin are the gun builds

You can set it up to basically delete entire maps with your firepower (just hopefully you don't wing something close to you and blow yourself up as well)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Alternatively, you could wear four high-energy thermo casks and then dual wield a flamethrower and a spaser rifle. +200% fire damage, +200% heating efficiency, and the plasma effect to tank your target's heat resistance. It might not be efficient, but there's something to be said for the sheer style of burning absolutely everything, including fire-immune enemies, to smoldering atoms :v:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

Alternatively, you could wear four high-energy thermo casks and then dual wield a flamethrower and a spaser rifle. +200% fire damage, +200% heating efficiency, and the plasma effect to tank your target's heat resistance. It might not be efficient, but there's something to be said for the sheer style of burning absolutely everything, including fire-immune enemies, to smoldering atoms :v:

So many options, to be honest, one strong build a lot of people use is massive dismemberment to simply reduce their problems into pieces, EVEN a truekin can do it actually.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This is sadly true for the passives, but notably, Flurry still attacks with everything you have equipped.

Don't the later passives in the tree also reduce the cooldown in Flurry? So they're still kinda useful to a multiple arm mutant, just not as much as they could be. Jab is what you want if you're a multiple arm short blade user. And I think extra hands from Chimera also benefit from the Dual Wield passives.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Also Jab and Dual Wield stack, so you can have your 125% (iirc) mainhand attack speed triggering your >100% chance of offhand/chimera-hand stabs more than once per enemy turn as well as more frequently triggering your multiple-arms stabs. And your carbide wrist blade stabs. Slap flaming and/or freezing mods on everything possible and you'll gently caress poo poo up extremely fast.

Endgame short blade builds might not be as spectacular as berserk dismemberment frenzies or as brokenly powerful as long blade disarm cheese, but they can get really, really silly. Every melee combat just becomes a deafeningly bass-boosted Sonic the Hedgehog spin dash noise followed by a comical spray of blood that wouldn't be out of place in an anime samurai duel

AtomikKrab posted:

So many options, to be honest, one strong build a lot of people use is massive dismemberment to simply reduce their problems into pieces, EVEN a truekin can do it actually.

Well yeah, seven nanon chain lasers with precision nanon fingers will certainly do that

e: if you try this build, you must never, ever equip a Sultan artifact that gives Temporal Fugue. ever

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 23, 2023

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

Also Jab and Dual Wield stack, so you can have your 125% (iirc) mainhand attack speed triggering your >100% chance of offhand/chimera-hand stabs more than once per enemy turn as well as more frequently triggering your multiple-arms stabs. And your carbide wrist blade stabs. Slap flaming and/or freezing mods on everything possible and you'll gently caress poo poo up extremely fast.

Endgame short blade builds might not be as spectacular as berserk dismemberment frenzies or as brokenly powerful as long blade disarm cheese, but they can get really, really silly. Every melee combat just becomes a deafeningly bass-boosted Sonic the Hedgehog spin dash noise followed by a comical spray of blood that wouldn't be out of place in an anime samurai duel

Well yeah, seven nanon chain lasers with precision nanon fingers will certainly do that

e: if you try this build, you must never, ever equip a Sultan artifact that gives Temporal Fugue. ever

Melee with the three floating slot item that can decapitate equipped and a lot of ways for a truekin to be packing many axes and many... attaxes is also fun.

you may execute me now

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

We jump down the pit, and are greeted by the lovely ambiance of Golgotha.

On the floor is a track of conveyor belts. They'll move us in their direction automatically if we're standing on them - we want to follow them, although they don't always take the most direct path.

Around a corner we see what we're up for on this route - flame vents. That's not bad at all.

They'll emit a blast of flame every few turns. It can be a little tricky to avoid, since there's not a clear timer for when they go off, but they don't hit too hard, and if you just run forward you'll usually only get dinged a couple times.

We encounter more vents, but no enemies. The conveyers dump their contents into another set of holes. We jump down.

The second floor has some pools of ooze on the belts. The ooze will get pushed by the conveyors just like we are. I'd like to avoid walking through it more than we need to, but there's no way to avoid it entirely.

The path zigzags a bit. We still haven't seen any enemies - this has been a very smooth Golgotha so far.

On the third floor we see our first enemies, a group of oozes. Despite being blobs of ooze they still get knocked out by sleep gas, but after killing one of them...

We meet this rear end in a top hat!

Sewage eels aren't dangerous in and of themselves, but they like to trip you and make you fall in the slime. What exactly that does to you will depend on luck and which colors of slime you land in, but generally it'll rust your items, poison you, or make you sick. They're also invisible until they're adjacent with you - this is why you want to minimize your time walking through ooze.

We make it through this floor without getting further slimed, and continue the descent.

The last floor has some enemies on the far side of the pits who will likely jump down after us, but overall this has been an extremely gentle set of conveyors - you can usually expect a decent group of enemies on every floor, forcing you to balance staying and fighting with running past to the next set of pits.

We land on the bottom floor of Golgotha in a giant pool of slime, right next to a sewage eel.

The guys from the last floor splash down next to us, but they don't last long.

Now to find a broken waydroid.

We find one not far south of our arrival location. It's on the far side of a sludge pool, but there's no ooze-free way around, so we'll just have to wade across and hope for the best.

We get lightly slimed for our trouble.

We have the waydroid and there's no enemies around, so we could just recoil out. Since it's been so easy so far I decide to keep looking around for other treasure on this floor.

Down to the south we encounter the Algofly. This is an enemy that won't be spawning naturally until you visit more dangerous areas of Qud, but you get a single out of depth one here in Golgotha.

They're ranged attackers who can actually hit pretty hard - this one takes us down to about half health in the time it takes to close the distance. The bottom floor of Golgotha is generally emptier than the upper levels, but getting caught out of position by the agolfly can be pretty deadly.

This room always shows up in the north part of the map. It lines up with the locked room on the surface, and has a one way elevator up to the surface.

If you can enter the room on the surface, it's possible to use the empty elevator shaft to jump straight to the final floor and skip most of Golgotha. Just jumping on its own will do around 240 HP of damage, though, so you'll need to either have some source of flight, or use a rubbergum injector to reduce fall damage and have enough health to tank the rest.

There's a chest east of the elevator.

It's not the one I'm looking for, but it's pretty nice anyway.

Sewage eels :argh:

In the upper left we meet the big slug himself.

I summon the clones and they go wild tossing out their explosive and thermal grenades. Also their fungicide grenades for good measure.

Slog dies before I can even get into melee. I take a trophy and keep exploring.

Here's the chest I'm looking for! It's... immediately to the left of the waydroid I found, meaning I did a big lap of the whole level for nothing.

The four guaranteed credits are amazing if you're a truekin. They're still a nice cash boost for us. Time to clean up and head out.

Using water as money teaches you to be incredibly economical when you clean stuff.

We teleport back to Grit Gate and show off our newly-repaired waydroid.

Nothing is outwardly different, but the forcefield lets us through now, and we get our first glimpse of Grit Gate proper.

It has the biggest collection of functioning technology we've seen by far. There's even a working computer mainframe in the back.

Not sure I trust the clones with all those grenades, but it's nice to be appreciated.

Grit Gate will be a major hub for the rest of the story, so we'll go through and meet our new friends in detail next time, but there is one thing I should probably take care of real quick.

I'm still not feeling great after all that ooze I got in my mouth. I'll go for a stroll and walk it off.

Oh no! What a huge inconvenience! I'm going to have to go on an epic personal quest to find a cure and assemble the ingredients!

That's what you thought I was going to say, right? Wrong!

oof oof ow ouch ow ow oof ow ouch oof

Ahh, much better.

I probably wasn't using that stuff anyway.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Wow that was an easy Golgatha run

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Yeah, that was probably the easiest it’s ever been while still taking the conveyors.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Also i never knew about the credit wedge box

I normally pickaxe my way into the exit building from the top and fly down with mechanical wings and the boogie the gently caress out

Also Golgatha theme is so so so good

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

They make you go dumpster diving in the world's biggest garbage dump, huh? That's one way to see if prospective apprentices are committed, I guess.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Snake Maze posted:

[

Around a corner we see what we're up for on this route - flame vents. That's not bad at all.

They'll emit a blast of flame every few turns. It can be a little tricky to avoid, since there's not a clear timer for when they go off, but they don't hit too hard, and if you just run forward you'll usually only get dinged a couple times.

The vents light up one turn before they fire, so it's actually pretty easy to avoid getting singed as long as you keep in mind the movement of the belts. Only really applies to the flame vents though, the others also give warning but they tend to create unpredictable area effects.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Snake Maze posted:

Oh no! What a huge inconvenience! I'm going to have to go on an epic personal quest to find a cure and assemble the ingredients!

That's what you thought I was going to say, right? Wrong!

oof oof ow ouch ow ow oof ow ouch oof

Ahh, much better.

I probably wasn't using that stuff anyway.

I'm in loving stitches, oh my god

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

verbal enema posted:

Also i never knew about the credit wedge box

I normally pickaxe my way into the exit building from the top and fly down with mechanical wings and the boogie the gently caress out

Also Golgatha theme is so so so good

Qud has my favorite dungeons in any game and the music is a huge part of that. I can always feel my heart pounding whenever I enter one, even when I've done them many times before.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

lmao I had the feeling when I saw that nice recipe that it could cheese around glotrot. Very nice.

Pigbuster posted:

Qud has my favorite dungeons in any game and the music is a huge part of that. I can always feel my heart pounding whenever I enter one, even when I've done them many times before.

For real. I think a lot of roguelikes fall flat in the character-lessness of their worlds. Qud has that in absolute spades, and each dungeon has its own unique flavor and, especially for Golgotha, sense of dread.

I think it took a good dozen tries before I made it through that hellhole.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 24, 2023

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Pigbuster posted:

Thank you because this is how I feel 100%

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'm very much enjoying my lp not me game lmao

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Curing Glotrot by itself doesn't grow your tongue back, but I'm assuming you've got some ubernostrum regardless.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Angry Diplomat posted:

:actually: atoms and ions.

e: j/k I love your idea, thermo casks rock so hard

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I am saddened by the lack of crab sacrifices, or crabrifices, in this current run.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Now that we're all better, let's see what Liluhart thinks about Bey Lah opening up to the world.

Things are really looking up for them!

Now, I know what you're thinking. "Deathsleep Stabtail, you seem awfully articulate for someone whose tongue just rotted out of their head! What's going on? You might be able to use your fancy cooking to cure glotrot, but that's not going to magically give you your tongue back!"

Well, actually... yes it will. See, the tongue is not a limb that's usually tracked by Qud. It can't get dismembered by an axe, or ripped out by a madpole. The only way to lose your tongue is for it to fall out due to glotrot. So the "tongueless" effect, that ruins your shop prices and restricts your dialogue options, is actually part of the glotrot status effect, and not a regular missing limb. If you remove glotrot directly, like we did, your tongue magically pops back into place without fanfare.

"But wait! I cured glotrot the normal way, and I didn't have any status effects, but I still couldn't talk to people!"

When you cure glotrot the 'real' way, by preparing the flaming ick, it actually replaces the visible glotrot status effect with an invisible "tongueless" status effect, which keeps the dialogue and trade effects of missing your tongue, and gets removed when you're effected by limb regenerating effects like an ubernostrum. I haven't looked in the code, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works, because that invisible tongueless effect can also be removed by cooking. Just prepare a "after something happens, remove a status effect at random" meal, and despite not having any visible effects, you can still meet the trigger condition, get a "you feel less afflicted" message in the log, and sudden you'll be able to talk again. No need to waste a valuable ubernostrum! I had no idea this was how it worked until now, right up until I started recording I was debating between heading to Bethesda Susa or Yd Freehold to look for a regen tank Just another one of the pro tips an experienced player like myself is well aware of.

Anyway, lets go meet our new coworkers. We're out of batteries, so we'll have to walk back.

We get hungry along the way, so I decide to cook up our psychal gland paste, completely forgetting that I'm inspired and will make a new recipe.

Despite the cool name, this recipe is completely useless. Psychal gland paste only has one possible effect that you always get from it - eating it in a meal causes you to learn a random secret.

Oh well, at least we learned where this guy lives.

Anyway, back to Grit Gate. There's a couple points of interest to show off before we get to the meet and greet.

Near the entrance they have a functioning Becoming Nook. It won't work on them any more than it does us, but I imagine it's a pretty interesting artifact to research.

It also has a loaded cybernetics rack, which does not count as owned and we're free to help ourselves too.

North of that, the med bay has a couple medical chests containing injectors which we're similarly free to take from. It's also worth noting that fancy bed to the south.

Sleeping in a hyperbiotic bed can help you recover from minor debuffs. It won't cure glotrot, but it can cure itchy skin and I believe it gives better odds when rolling to see if you recover from a disease while it's still incubating.

With everything of value pocketed, we should start talking to people. We'll start with the girl in the center of the main room.

Q Girl is one of the more important NPCs in the Barathrumite enclave. She seems to be the most software-focused researcher here, so if we need help with ancient computers, she'll be the one we talk to. She's also a bit of a political activist, although this mostly comes up through some of the in-universe books we can find.

(Remember how Lulihart talked about Bey Lah potentially joining the "Quetzal Caucus"? That's Q Girl's work - more on that when we find the relevant book)

Q Girl has a couple interesting things for trade. The guaranteed credit wedge is obviously a priority for truekin, but for us the gemstones are more interesting. Notice how they have a yellow dollar sign instead of a blue one? That means their value is fixed. Most items have a variable price depending on our ego, but we always buy things for more money than we sell them for. Items with a yellow dollar sign, however, have a fixed price that they always buy and sell for. We can buy that jasper for 200, and then sell it to someone else for 200, no matter what our ego is. This makes trade goods like that a great way to store your money, since a single gemstone is much lighter than 200 drams of water. Of course, you can't drink gemstones, so it's important to keep at least some of your water as actual water.

Q Girl doesn't restock, so you can only get these once.

Q girl also counts as a tinker, so while trading we can pay her to have her repair our broken items. One of our nice carbide daggers got rusted in Golgotha, but she can fix it right up for a low fee. Being rusted or broken tanks an item's value, but repairing it is always 5 drams, so if you're selling broken items, a lot of the time you get more money by paying for repairs and then selling it than you would by selling it on its own.

To the right of Q girl is Jacobo, another of the main tinkers in Grit Gate.

He's a nice guy - maybe Sheba put in a good word after all those books we donated.

Right next to Jacobo is Sparafucile, the weaponsmith of Grit Gate.

If you complete Golgotha under level 18, you get a gun made by Sparafucile as a reward. When you have it equipped, you'll get an extra dialogue option here where you can compliment his work.

Sparafucile and Jacobo don't play as big a role in the plot as Q Girl, but they're very important merchants for any character hoping to get into tinkering.

Both of them will sell a variety of data disks, which teach new tinkering recipes once you have the appropriate level of the tinkering skill. They'll restock every few ingame days. Buying data disks from merchants is where the majority of your tinkering recipes will come from, so having two guaranteed merchants in a central location that you return to a lot is a big help. Stabtail here won't be going too hard into tinkering, but even tinkering 1 has some nice mods for our gear we can learn.

Hanging out in the central area is a robot who stands out a little from the others.

There's not too much to say about Shem -1. Mechanically he sells some cybernetic implants (but doesn't restock new ones), story wise he demonstrates that the Barathrumites are willing to just roll with it when one of their projects decides it's a person.

Hanging out in one of the bedrooms is Neek.

: What do you do around here, Neek?

: Your hair is so... rectangular.

: What can you tell me about Grit Gate?

Good ol' Neek.

In another bedroom we meet Iseppa.

And in the kitchen to the west we meet my personal favorite, Dardi.

Once he gets going, our dialog options don't change anything.

And our last introduction for now is Hortensa, who hangs out in the bottom right of the main room.

: Are you a liquid-tinker?

: Could you tell me about the other Barathrumites?

Unlike Iseppa, Hortensa is willing to dish about everybody we've met and a couple we haven't.

: Barathrum?

: Otho?

: Jacobo?

: Sparafucile?

: Q Girl?

: Mafeo?

: Iseppa?

: Neek?

: Dardi?

: Shem -1?

: I don't think anyone has ever mentioned their name yet but Aloysius?

: I've never met them but Ereshkigal?

That's a lot of talking! We're not done yet, but we're past the bulk of it. We've met everyone we can reach, so let's go talk to Otho about that weird disk we found.

So - somewhere out in Qud, someone or something has been broadcasting an unknown message for the past year. There's very few people in Qud who would be capable of that sort of thing. Since we don't have anything else to go on, we'll be taking a copy of the transmission to an ancient supercomputer to get it decrypted.

The first step of the quest is to head right back to Q Girl and get her to give us the program we need. Man, you'd feel pretty stupid if you fought your way all the way through the dungeon just to realize you forgot to grab this before you left! Or so I imagine.

Now that we're on the quest, we can go around and ask everyone for information.

They'll have advice like this for every quest. If you're not looking up spoilers there's a lot of useful information about what to expect in here, so it can be worth asking around.

The biggest things to take away are the warm clothes and Mechanimist rep. We'll want stuff with a decent amount of cold resistance, and we'll want to hit 300 rep with the Mechanimist, so that we're "welcome in their holy places".

We're not quite equipped to take on Bethesda Susa just yet, so next time we'll take a trek across the jungle to the one place that's visible from anywhere in Qud, even showing up in the time of day indicator

Who knows what friends we'll make along the way?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Ok now ur pissing me off with your knowledge

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

How do you say baetyl anyways? It's like beetle right? And drat, I never realized that that's the spindle!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Golgotha is a wake up call for the unprepared. Susa is uh... a culling ground

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

MuffinsAndPie posted:

How do you say baetyl anyways? It's like beetle right? And drat, I never realized that that's the spindle!

I always pronounced it like “bay-tull”. No idea if that’s correct.

Apparently it’s a real word so there’s probably a right answer to the question somewhere.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

it apparently is indeed pronounced beetle. i've been saying it wrong.

i hate that the proliferation of AI-generated content means that those pronunciation videos on youtube are completely useless for their actual purpose. is any given one actually correct? who knows! go hit up a dictionary and learn phonetic pronunciation characters like it's 1992 motherfucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

AtomikKrab posted:

Golgotha is a wake up call for the unprepared. Susa is uh... a culling ground

The temporal fugue build goons were suggesting earlier in the thread died on me in there like a week ago. I even lucked into carapace as a random mutation, and I bumped it up for the resists. When I went in there and started losing I ate some witchwood trying to heal up enough to get away, but got confused and couldn't find the stairs. It was great