Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The Lorath/ Cid crossover is going to be really really cool when it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Lmao of course it's future Joshua (assuming that is who I think it is). I figured it was either a clone Clive or future Clive because that's what Final Fantasy does. Close enough.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I’m very confused about this early plot stuff. Demo through the sections just after the end of the demo spoilers.

I’m really confused about Clive thinking that someone else killed Joshua. I understand he was probably not in control of his actions and likely was having some sort of out of body experience. But he was clearly conscious and observing what was happening and would like, know if he was not in control of his own actions.

On top of this, the super secret lore zone, which is in a neutral voice and tells you tons of poo poo that clive has no way of knowing acts like it was someone else as well.

So what gives here? Did the game just do a really bad job of showing what was actually happening?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people in real life do things and experience them as out of body experiences and then dont assign them to themselves. happens a lot with like, drug trips.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

also that whole event is intentionally vague and confusing

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

I’m very confused about this early plot stuff. Demo through the sections just after the end of the demo spoilers.

I’m really confused about Clive thinking that someone else killed Joshua. I understand he was probably not in control of his actions and likely was having some sort of out of body experience. But he was clearly conscious and observing what was happening and would like, know if he was not in control of his own actions.

On top of this, the super secret lore zone, which is in a neutral voice and tells you tons of poo poo that clive has no way of knowing acts like it was someone else as well.

So what gives here? Did the game just do a really bad job of showing what was actually happening?

your name is clive rosfield. you have been treated with mild scorn your whole life because you were incapable of channeling an eikon and your main reason for living is the health and happiness of your little brother. do you choose to believe a) that you turned into a heretofore-unheard of eikon and ripped your brother to bloody shreds in a fit of mindless rage, or b) literally anything else

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Endorph posted:

people in real life do things and experience them as out of body experiences and then dont assign them to themselves. happens a lot with like, drug trips.

I’m aware of this, but we the audience see exactly what happens, but then the lore zone (tm) acts like we didn’t see what happens. This wouldn’t bother me if it was consistent, but it tells us tons of poo poo that Clive has no way of knowing. It just seems really, really weird for the game to pretend what we saw didn’t happen.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 23, 2023

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

also that whole event is intentionally vague and confusing

It didn’t seem all that vague or confusing to me, if that’s what they were going for then they didn’t really do a good job

Oxxidation posted:

your name is clive rosfield. you have been treated with mild scorn your whole life because you were incapable of channeling an eikon and your main reason for living is the health and happiness of your little brother. do you choose to believe a) that you turned into a heretofore-unheard of eikon and ripped your brother to bloody shreds in a fit of mindless rage, or b) literally anything else

like my post says, I don’t mind if Clive is in denial, that’s fine and dandy. But the text tells us what happened and then immediately pretends it didn’t. This is a weird narrative “have your cake and eat it too “ moment. You can either have the audience along for the ride with Clive and be in the dark with what happens, or you can have them be informed and be in on the tragedy of it all. But the game doesn’t commit to either and it’s just awkward

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 23, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Paul Zuvella posted:

The scene we saw of Ifrit and Phoenix fighting was secretly Torgal vision. It has the same blurry filter of other times we see from Torgal's perspective, notably in the Benedikta fight if you want an example. And if you recall we start seeing that scene when Torgal's barks rouse Clive's conciousness. The game is pulling a little trick and changing our perspective without our knowledge to deepen the mystery but alas, twas Clive himself who was the beast.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The scene we saw of Ifrit and Phoenix fighting was secretly Torgal vision. It has the same blurry filter of other times we see from Torgal's perspective, notably in the Benedikta fight if you want an example. And if you recall we start seeing that scene when Torgal's barks rouse Clive's conciousness. The game is pulling a little trick and changing our perspective without our knowledge to deepen the mystery but alas, twas Clive himself who was the beast.

Isn't it just Eikon Dominant sidecar vision? I thought it was super telegraphed that Clive is Ifrit because we see the yellow blur as Joshua during the Phoenix sequence. I honestly thought it was supposed to be the clue that told the player we're Ifrit...

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I dunno, but I like my theory better

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Paul Zuvella posted:

I’m aware of this, but we the audience see exactly what happens, but then the lore zone (tm) acts like we didn’t see what happens. This wouldn’t bother me if it was consistent, but it tells us tons of poo poo that Clive has no way of knowing. It just seems really, really weird for the game to pretend what we saw didn’t happen.

The lore entries stick to Clive’s perspective. And if he doesn’t know something neither does it.

Also frankly even knowing what we know there’s still reason at that stage to question events. Who is mystery cloak man who seems to directly trigger Ifrit? How much agency did Clive really have therefore?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Shard posted:

Makes me think of the queen from 9

Evil mothers aside, XVI so far is giving me massive IX vibes in general and I can’t really pinpoint why. It might just be the art direction.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Captain Oblivious posted:

The lore entries stick to Clive’s perspective. And if he doesn’t know something neither does it.

Also frankly even knowing what we know there’s still reason at that stage to question events. Who is mystery cloak man who seems to directly trigger Ifrit? How much agency did Clive really have therefore?

Yeah the fact that there is a second Dominant of Fire that other people have seen and not just Clive (so it's not just his imagination) raised enough doubt for me to be uncertain.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
Regardless of what they were showing us, the idea behind that is to provoke curiosity and various emotions. There are two takeways from it, as I see it, "Oh no Ifrit is killing Joshua! Poor Clive is watching! That's bad!" or "Oh gently caress, wait, Ifrit IS Clive, isn't he? gently caress!" Something happened in that scene, and we've got the video game equivalent of an unreliable narrator happening, and as an audience we're left with a question that the story fully intends to pay off later. I get the urge to immediately demand clarity on a thing in the moment, because I've played games and watched shows where poo poo like this doesn't get properly explained or paid off, but just... hang in there, this is being written by a team that generally pays off the things they start.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

HD DAD posted:

Evil mothers aside, XVI so far is giving me massive IX vibes in general and I can’t really pinpoint why. It might just be the art direction.

I was thinking this is more like FFIV or V. Final Fantasy IX is more of a steampunk & magic setting.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I thought there was another thread to discuss story spoilers?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The other thread's OP says it won't have any spoiler tags, so this is the only place safe to discuss the story without risking endgame spoilers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I have reached the Final Fantasy part of the game

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I thought there was another thread to discuss story spoilers?

I’ve played like 4 hours of game, why would I go to the spoiler thread for literally anything

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I am curious to see what Clive’s end game Eikon loadout options will be

The abilities screen seems structured for 6 Eikons and we know Phoenix/Garuda/Titan/Ramuh are four of them. Shiva I imagine will remain with Jill. That means Bahamut and Odin for the remaining two slots most likely but my question is…do we ever get a proper Ifrit moveset?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I am curious to see what Clive’s end game Eikon loadout options will be

The abilities screen seems structured for 6 Eikons and we know Phoenix/Garuda/Titan/Ramuh are four of them. Shiva I imagine will remain with Jill. That means Bahamut and Odin for the remaining two slots most likely but my question is…do we ever get a proper Ifrit moveset?

Clive has a Shiva moveset in various pre-release promo materials like State of Play.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Not counting the MMOs because I've never touched them, but I feel like 9 (which I've never replayed and should probably fix that) was the last one before 16 that kind of stuck to fantasy. Like yeah, there's airships and steam-powered stuff and muskets but magic took the place of technology. I think 7 was the only one I've really liked that went past that into literal cars and robots and whatnot. Maybe that stuff was in 9 and I'm just misremembering because it was over a decade ago.

Also I know it's totally a nostalgia thing and I'm a sucker but I like the attacks appearing on screen. Like you get to the end of that fight then -Hellfire- appears and it's the most :tviv: thing. The espers summons guardian forces eidolons Eikons very much do not gently caress around.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

FF12

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

Clive has a Shiva moveset in various pre-release promo materials like State of Play.

Hhhhhuh. Interesting. Beginning to think the ability screen layout is a trick then.

Maybe we get the full suite after all?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Paul Zuvella posted:

If it helps (spoilers up to garuda fight), his delusion doesn't last very long in gameplay time

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

God I hope they give us better rebinding options soon. Type B would be perfect if I could just swap magic and lock on. Then it would be trivial to buffer poo poo mid combo.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hhhhhuh. Interesting. Beginning to think the ability screen layout is a trick then.

Maybe we get the full suite after all?

If the leaked trophy list is accurate, you get everyone.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

I’ve played like 4 hours of game, why would I go to the spoiler thread for literally anything

Sorry, your post was clearly marked in terms of timetable, just getting confused by other posts where the entire post is blacked out or they're using vague markers, already clicked on something by accident that i kinda regret, also people not necessarily agreeing on how to number the eikon fights lol

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
FF9 has a lot of idyllic green landscapes torn by war. It also has the miasma setting element which is similar to the blight in this game.

I feel like the game could use a little more party banter in low-stakes areas. Things like going through fields or walking around towns can feel a little anemic. Jill has barely spoken at all in the hours I've hung out with her.

The game is good; the music is wonderful. Some elements still haven't quite clicked yet for me, story-wise. A lot of the action scenes are awe-inspiring, but the story itself has yet to really surprise me after the demo. But the game has been pretty proactive about foreshadowing something and then preemptively being like "yeah it's exactly what you thought it was," so I'm kind of expecting a truly big plot twist to come before too long.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I’m pretty sure that the thread title says no spoilers. I’m going to summon Ifrit to rain Hellfire down on you all.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lmao I cannot seem to get this combat timing down at all, facing these big enemies with the spinny sword attacks I have gotten hit 19 out of 20 times even when i do nothing but wait for the attack to dodge lmao

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If you cannot reliably dodge spinny swords just run away until the attack ends.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The voice acting in this game is really impressive and has carried all the scenes for me so far, even the ones that have been pretty generic. In fact, this is probably gonna be the first FF I willingly play through with the English dub instead of the Japanese. Having tried both versions, not only does the English just seem to fit this whole GoTish aesthetic better, it seems like they literally animated the lipsynch to the English voices instead of the Japanese ones. Which is kinda wild to me, though tbh I haven't played a JRPG in like four years so maybe that's just the norm now.

Speaking of the aesthetic though...as interesting as the GoT vibes are and as fun as they'll be to meme on, I'm also glad that this game does in fact stop feeling like GoT very early on and instead definitely settled into feeling like FF by shoving a ragtag resistance against the Empire into the plot as soon as they were able.

Well, the GoT vibes will probably return soon, but still.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

The voice acting in this game is really impressive and has carried all the scenes for me so far, even the ones that have been pretty generic. In fact, this is probably gonna be the first FF I willingly play through with the English dub instead of the Japanese. Having tried both versions, not only does the English just seem to fit this whole GoTish aesthetic better, it seems like they literally animated the lipsynch to the English voices instead of the Japanese ones. Which is kinda wild to me, though tbh I haven't played a JRPG in like four years so maybe that's just the norm now.

that definitely isnt the norm for JRPGs at all but it is the norm for jp games with bigger western fanbases than JP ones. like sonic does that

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

OK I have gotten to the point where it makes very clear that this is from the narrative designers of FF14. (three eikons unlocked) Another Meanwhile... scene after a big narrative threshold lol Really enjoying things so far and would keep on playing if I could...

Also unlocked enough of the kit (including upgrading some of the basics I've forgotten about lol) to feel better about things, I guess I'll see how much of that I will be able to pick back up in a month.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

The combat and characters and Ben Starr's performance is gonna win an award(s), no contest.

If I had to have criticisms edit: probably can't talk about that one thing. But they had they had to realize it. And many of the sidequests are straight up a previous generation behind in quality. They are bad. After Witcher 3 and now Cyberpunk, these low effort made in a few days fetch quests are unacceptable now. I'm taking a full point off for that.

So yeah solid 9/10 game so far, I'm pretty decent into into the 2nd out of 3rd half of the game it seems.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 23, 2023

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

i hope these restaurant sidequests pay off with a food animation that they clearly spent 10 million dollars on

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Megasabin posted:

I'm not sure I really get the combat in this game.

If we're talking just basic non-eikon moves, why do I want to do anything other than the 8 attack melee-charged burst combo? It seems to do by far the most damage and each charged burst hitstuns the enemy a little so they stuck in the combo. What's the point of wasting time charging up your sword or magic? Do I even have any other combo options other than the strictly worse 4-attack-melee combat where I just don't charge burst between attacks?

Since bosses don't really hitstun at all other than when they get fully staggered, boss fights seem to favor being defensive. Just dodge counter-attack over and over. You could be really aggressive but the combat becomes such a mess or particle effects, it just makes it harder to properly dodge the boss's attacks.

I feel like there must be another layer to this I am completely missing to the how the regular non-eikonic abilities are supposed to flow together.

Also, does the game actually tell you what changes when you master an ability?

As a final aside, it is a major pet peeve that the game cannot context sensitively register the difference between a button press & hold, so anytime you want to charge your sword, you have to swing it first, often into empty air.

I’ve never played a character action game and am bad at the combat, even though the game is so easy it feels like it really doesn’t matter. I actually had a game over on Clive’s shadow, though that was maybe due to changing the control scheme and constantly hitting the wrong button. But, for what it’s worth, here are my thoughts:

The lunge is really good. The magic burst after it immediately knocks down light enemies and sends them flying. It has good AoE, so you can lunge into a group, and easily split them up and bully them one by one with repeated lunges or lunge into shift strike.

The basic charged attack doesn’t feel great unless you charge it while doing something else, but the charged uppercut launches enemies and let you get off lots of damage in the air. Upgraded downstab from high enough also has a big AoE, so this is another good strategy against groups.

Charged magic is really good in boss fights, since you can charge while dodging, and the charged spell has a backstep with iframes that lets you deal damage while continuing to dodge.

I agree combat gets really unreadable if you’re being very aggressive, which makes boss fights slower than they should be. I think the thing to do is to play conservatively at first and just focus on dodging and ranged attacks, then once you know where the big openings are, use those to go nuts with aerial combos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regarding spoilers - people should probably add information about where the spoilers are from. Like adding "(after Clive gets his third Eikon)" or whatever before the spoiler tags, do people know if they're safe.