Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Not this world's, surely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
This badass 1970s LOTR poster I had on my wall when I was a kid:

.... was drawn by some 17 year old dude called Jimmy Cauty who later went on to become one half of The KLF

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Captain Splendid posted:

The actual World's Largest Teapot is always on the other side of the sun.

(Don't ask me to prove this)

Ah, the Counter-Pot theory.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

.... was drawn by some 17 year old dude called Jimmy Cauty who later went on to become one half of The KLF

whoa

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
KLF facts are gonna rock ya!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That's cool.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

That's fuckin awesome, looks like a doom metal album cover (or rather, doom metal album covers look like that).

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

KLF facts are gonna rock ya!

Fuckin :golfclap:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I guess this is pretty obvious in retrospect but I never realised that sperm whale skulls take up such a small percentage of their heads

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The rest of their head is full of sperm

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Brawnfire posted:

- Carl Linnaeus, 1758

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Brawnfire posted:

That is far closer to the truth than you may have realised.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Ah, the mysterious and disgusting ocean.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Captain Splendid posted:

No I know the truth I'm just anachronistic

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Captain Splendid posted:

Yeah, called "spermaceti" because I guess that's what people thought it looked like?

And it's one of the SEVERAL bodily products inside a whale that had a million and one uses "back in the day." I actually think it was the most valuable, (other than maybe ambergris?) part of whaling.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
When someone replies, "Not if I see you first!" to something like, "See you later!", they are jokingly insulting the person by implying that if they see the person somewhere in the future, they are going to get the gently caress out of there before the person sees them there.

I just never really thought about it before.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I always thought it was jokingly saying they would murder them if they had the drop on them.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

run on sentience posted:

When someone replies, "Not if I see you first!" to something like, "See you later!", they are jokingly insulting the person by implying that if they see the person somewhere in the future, they are going to get the gently caress out of there before the person sees them there.

I just never really thought about it before.

The 'joke' as it was always presented to me included finger guns and "pew"s like as a joking threat. I think your interpretation insults me more because it doesn't sound like a joke at all

e;f,b

Dip Viscous posted:

I always thought it was jokingly saying they would murder them if they had the drop on them.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Soiled Meat

Dip Viscous posted:

Yeah, same

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, called "spermaceti" because I guess that's what people thought it looked like?

And it's one of the SEVERAL bodily products inside a whale that had a million and one uses "back in the day." I actually think it was the most valuable, (other than maybe ambergris?) part of whaling.

Ambergris is certainly the weirdest one I know of, I think it washes up on shore, though.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I do like the "I plan to kill you if I see you first" interpretation better, thank you.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Grassy Knowles posted:

The 'joke' as it was always presented to me included finger guns and "pew"s like as a joking threat. I think your interpretation insults me more because it doesn't sound like a joke at all

e;f,b

I've seen it taken both ways, with and without any gestures. I could see what you mean about the first version, but when I've seen it, it's always been around folks who are close and jokey enough that it's obviously in fun and nobody's offended.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I always thought "see" in that idiom is used one the "visit" context. Like "I'm going to see Grandma" or "I need to see the doctor". So it would be something like "I plan to visit you in the future" and the response is "You may not have to because I'll come visit you first"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The joke is that you think you will see me, but haha, I have seen you first. That's all there is to it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

exquisite tea posted:

The joke is that you think you will see me, but haha, I have seen you first. That's all there is to it.

When we were little we would agree to meet someone somewhere, and there was some allusion to who would get there first.

"I'll meet you there."

"No; I'll meet you there."

or vice versa.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

exquisite tea posted:

No! Incorrect. It's not if I see you first, making it clear that the interlocutor will change their DNA into that of a different human if they see the other prior to their own perception by him or her.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

sebmojo posted:

No! Incorrect. It's not if I see you first, making it clear that the interlocutor will change their DNA into that of a different human if they see the other prior to their own perception by him or her.

It’s the uncertainty principle where monitoring one inevitably changes the other

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

sebmojo posted:

Ah, like Secret Invasion :hmmyes:

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I've hung on to that poster for like almost 30 years, still have it hanging in the garage.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Manager Hoyden posted:

I always thought "see" in that idiom is used one the "visit" context. Like "I'm going to see Grandma" or "I need to see the doctor". So it would be something like "I plan to visit you in the future" and the response is "You may not have to because I'll come visit you first"

Aw, that's adorable

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

AcidCat posted:

I've hung on to that poster for like almost 30 years, still have it hanging in the garage.

An artefact from the bygone days, when fantasy art wasn't all mpreg vore.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I'm now thinking about the implications of

See you in hell!

Not if I see you first!

which I have heard somewhere before.

They're both gonna be in hell, so he can't really re-murder the guy? Is he going to leave to a different torture district if he sees him at the lake of fire?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

run on sentience posted:

See you in hell!

Not if I see you first!

They're both gonna be in hell, so he can't really re-murder the guy? Is he going to leave to a different torture district if he sees him at the lake of fire?

No, that one means the second person will make a last minute life change and accept the salvation offered by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, presuming they are given a vision of their friend experiencing the torturous damnation of hell while they still have a chance to repent from their earthly sins

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I've always interpreted "not if I see you first" as meaning "because I will then avoid the encounter", which is an interpretation that works in the hell case as well. Ish.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

run on sentience posted:

See you in hell!

Not if I see you first!

https://twitter.com/CMGaldre/status/1015863541813817344?lang=en

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

sebmojo posted:

As a post-existential rationalist I am trying to make "see you later" "not if 8 years have passed" a thing but I am having a lot of trouble making it catch on.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

zedprime posted:

As a post-existential rationalist I am trying to make "see you later" "not if 8 years have passed" a thing but I am having a lot of trouble making it catch on.

Not if I Theseus first

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Uncut sheets of US banknotes are legal tender.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Circumcised ones are even more tender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I was under the impression that the British controlled India for a few decades, maybe like 50 years?

Nope, more like 200 years.