Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MikeJF posted:

Well, SimTower was window dressing for an elevator sim. There's always one mechanic that's core.

What I wouldn't give for a good modern SimTower. Project Highrise and Mad Tower Tycoon just didn't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Grand Fromage posted:

What I wouldn't give for a good modern SimTower. Project Highrise and Mad Tower Tycoon just didn't do it.

Me playing simtower in the 90's: "This is almost fun, but I wish there wasn't so much of a focus on the brutally challenging elevator traffic sim aspect, I mostly just want to build a cool tower"
Me playing Project Highrise today: "This is loving boring, with no elevator or traffic issue there's almost no challenge and you design doesn't matter"

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

I just so desperately want a city builder that models the challenging vicious cycles cities can get into. You've started a new city and you're just kinda winging it and building what the bars and your citizens complain about. You build a little grid of streets and zone some stuff up like one does in a city building game. Buildings pop in, cars start driving around, all the usual stuff. You have a charming main street and since your city is only a few blocks wide in each direction a lot of people actually just walk to the shops and jobs. You build an industrial area a couple km away and the single 2-lane road is fine for the truck and worker traffic leading there. But as you expand you notice something, your streets are getting kinda jammed up and your residents are demanding more and more parking. Since your commercial core is still in the same place, but your residential areas have sprawled out, almost everyone has to drive to get to shops and office jobs. You started to have some medium density office but the offices keep complaining "not enough parking for our staff!". You end up actually demolishing a bunch of productive buildings downtown to add in more parking. But you have to, otherwise how will workers arrive? This keeps getting worse and worse, and your budget seems really tight as well. All these roads have expensive upkeep, and all this parking is unproductive land not generating taxes. Your once charming and productive downtown starts to look like this:

Meanwhile you go on the forums and see people posting these amazing high density cities that look really cool. You figure out that trying to build enough parking for every single trip to be car based is a fools errand. That the "transport preferences" screen can be influenced and you can ignore that 89% of people prefer car and raise a fuss if there isn't enough parking near everywhere they want to go. If you build a really good transit system and make it the most convenient travel method, those citizen preferences will shift if you can weather the short term backlash. You soon learn the best way to "solve congestion" is by controlling the amount of parking, you can't clog up the roads if you can't actually drive to the destination and park. So long as you provide attractive and efficient alternatives they will use them (carrots) but forcing them onto those alternatives by making the car-based trip impossible or very annoying (sticks) you can end up with a very low modeshare of drivers. This in term saves you a fortune on road upkeep and space dedicated to cars in your city which you can dedicate to more productive and profitable uses.

My problem with skylines wasn't that it was a traffic sim, but that it was a BAD traffic sim that doesn't model the most important factors around why these car trips are being generated and what effect attempting to cater to driving demand effects cities.

this sounds pretty close to what they're actually shooting for with the traffic sim. what will probably make or break it is if people can choose not to go somewhere because of commute times or if everyone will be perfectly happy parking a kilometer away and walking for an in game hour to wherever they originally wanted to go

but we'll find out in a week

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The charm of the graphics was a big deal too. Even at the time it was different, it was probably the first Japanese game I ever played.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Road condition being abstracted by a traffic accident that manifests with certain percentual chances is really neat. It said the "police will have to clear it" but I wonder if it demands fire and EMS to show up, too? A three-pronged response of city services plus the ensuing slowdown would be not only a gameplay feature of planning traffic and maintenance, but also how the firehouses are located, for example are they along major thoroughways or highways, et cetera.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Baronjutter posted:

Me playing simtower in the 90's: "This is almost fun, but I wish there wasn't so much of a focus on the brutally challenging elevator traffic sim aspect, I mostly just want to build a cool tower"
Me playing Project Highrise today: "This is loving boring, with no elevator or traffic issue there's almost no challenge and you design doesn't matter"

Apparently I have been aging in reverse because my tastes have evolved in exactly the opposite direction

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

The charm of the graphics was a big deal too. Even at the time it was different, it was probably the first Japanese game I ever played.

It seemed to have done fairly well, I wonder why they never brought Yoot Tower over.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

MikeJF posted:

It seemed to have done fairly well, I wonder why they never brought Yoot Tower over.

There is an English release of Yoot Tower, Maxis just didn't do it. I never felt like I could make a successful tower in it though, makes me wonder if Maxis did some balance alterations to the original game or something.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I'm right there with you Baronjutter.

I keep WANTING to like Project Highrise. Hell, I own the subreddit. But it is so goddamn boring once you become profitable.

And worse, it had such potential by including electrical and water services. I want all the challenges of building a big building.

(Also I hate that it had a day/night cycle but the little rooms didn't turn on/off lights to show when people were around. It's a little thing, but seriously.... gently caress. It was important to me for feeling the mood and I hated it so much every time I played PH and it didn't have it.)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd love a simtower type game where you actually manage a development company and move from project to project. A little like prison architect where you build up a successful operation then sell to move onto the next bigger project. You could buy up lots in the city and as you moved on you'd see your old building added to the skyline. Or you could hold onto your buildings and build up a rental empire. Whatever you want. But there's be an actual sort of city economy beyond your lot. If there's a housing shortage in the city, you could do well putting up a few big apartment buildings. But years later that market might be saturated, so you sell your apartment holdings and go all in on a big hotel or something. Have economic conditions and demands shift to help produce different buildings. And have your previous buildings actually have an impact on all that. Your huge 50 story office tower might actually soak up all the office demand in the city for a while.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
There's gotta be some sort of middle ground since the Sim/Yoot Tower problem I always had was that I enjoyed the elevator management stuff ok, but one wrong move and all of a sudden every condo and office would empty out and you're in 100k of debt and everything very quickly spirals out.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The noise mechanic was the worst. You have an elevator and four offices on each side of it. 3/4 of them eventually abandon because all of the 15 people a day walking past are too noisy and we just can't handle it.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
All the lane, sidewalk, and tree options falling under a separate upgrade system will be such a huge qol improvement.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Grand Fromage posted:

The noise mechanic was the worst. You have an elevator and four offices on each side of it. 3/4 of them eventually abandon because all of the 15 people a day walking past are too noisy and we just can't handle it.

What's annoying is that more and more studies are showing how bad noise pollution is for people, it's a legit problem. But the way its handled in the game is so bad. A busy road produced only light noise, but a static stairwell leading down to a metro station? Full on havana syndrome killing everyone nearby.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

What's annoying is that more and more studies are showing how bad noise pollution is for people, it's a legit problem. But the way its handled in the game is so bad. A busy road produced only light noise, but a static stairwell leading down to a metro station? Full on havana syndrome killing everyone nearby.

Yeah, noise pollution is a real serious thing but in the two games where I've seen it, it loving sucked and was a terrible mechanic.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
A nice exploration of the new road tools by the devs. Some more details than previous videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHvINwjMzAg

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 22, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Count Roland posted:

Traffic accidents eh. That sounds neat but could go horribly wrong if the agent system is anything like the first game.

I want less of a traffic focus, not more.

I feel like with parking and accidents you will presumably be incentivized to try and avoid using cars.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like with parking and accidents you will presumably be incentivized to try and avoid using cars.

The system I'm picturing in my head is mass transit centers with giant parking lots near suburbs and apartments, to try and incentivize as many people as possible to not drive.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Oh no. The park and ride is coming from inside the house!!

Anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHvINwjMzAg

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Right exactly. And saying you want less traffic sim in Skylines is exactly like saying you like SimTower but you hope SimTower 2 has less focus on elevators.

I mean, I agree with the guy that said that. I'm not really the target audience for Skylines either, because traffic puzzles aren't the core mechanic I'm looking for in a city sim. It's just vain to expect Skylines to be anything else.
I've said this before; I don't mind being penalized for bad traffic in my cities and making it something I've got to fix. Increased road maintenance costs, decreased desirability, stores can't get their goods so they don't make sales so I get less taxes, great, hit me, make me pay. What I mind is the ridiculous citywide traffic clogs that lead to a literal mass die-off, it's a ridiculous consequence. There's no such thing as an eternal traffic jam.

But we've already seen CS2 has a day/night cycle and does seem to be modeling traffic on it, so I'm actually very hopeful that this time, your roadways will get slammed at rush hour but see much lighter demand during afternoons and evenings, and if the industrial traffic doesn't use the dead of night when everyone else is sleeping by default, you'll be able to pass ordinances to make them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah but then the truck drivers go on strike against the city

Captain Melo
Mar 28, 2014
Does anyone remember the name of the mod that let you change road colors? It had RGB sliders in the mod options menu to customize the color of the roads you put down and now I can't find it for the life of me after re-installing CS:1

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

dragonshardz posted:

$2.20 is frickin' awesome, if not quite the peer of ambition that citywokcitywall was with Mars.

I just went to look this up as I'd never heard of it before and Jesus. Jesus. :staredog:

e; I love how Skylines is one of those games that just has a bunch of chill people building stuff on YouTube

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Ms Adequate posted:

I just went to look this up as I'd never heard of it before and Jesus. Jesus. :staredog:

e; I love how Skylines is one of those games that just has a bunch of chill people building stuff on YouTube

Yea the Mars project is incredible, but also at that point it's not even a Cities Skylines game anymore.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

DoubleNegative posted:

The system I'm picturing in my head is mass transit centers with giant parking lots near suburbs and apartments, to try and incentivize as many people as possible to not drive.

Toronto’s Finch station as far as the eye can see

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Give me SimCopter for CS and I'll not play another game for like, months.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i would lose hours to the first person mod once my city was mostly filled out hope its native in cs2

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
U-Drive It missions were SC4's greatest innovation and they've just been casually tossed aside

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I was just going to bring those up - I really enjoyed those mild little in-city minigames from SC4. Just a fun little time waster while building the city that you could also just skip if you wanted.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Can't wait for the "Streets of Cities Skylines" DLC.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Just give me a tool that can convert a Skylines city file into a map in like BeamNG.drive and I can die happy.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Caconym posted:

Give me SimCopter for CS and I'll not play another game for like, months.

The next version of Flight Simulator looks like the closest thing to SimCopter we've ever got kinda sorta.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Set up a system to export skylines cities in FS2024.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

My own preference would be for Mirrror's Edge but anything that lets you interact with your city as someone within it would be fun as gently caress.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
I haven't played any of the Spiderman games but I guess it might be fun if you could move like that in your own city?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sounds like the thread basically wants Cities Skylines: Just Cause. I'd be ok with that.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
The dream would be to be able to travel round your city properly, like even on the train or bus. I'd guess this would take a full game's worth of development, I'd settle for being able to just drive round.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
For games like Spiderman and Mirror's Edge, a lot of the fun of the free running is based on developers carefully arranging sequences of buildings (and the props on those buildings) in ways that flow into each other. Even if they added the tech to give every building a collision model that allows those kinds of detailed interactions (which wouldn't be trivial), trying to whizz around would probably be a bit of an exercise in frustration as you jumped past the handful of buildings that had actually randomly lined up nicely only to run into the rest that hadn't.

Something road based is a lot smoother since the player naturally tries to design their city's roads to make a meaningful network. Or air based that can just ignore it all.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

In theory a partnership with Flight Simulator might actually be achievable: the game is already designed to import and generate from simpler or abstracted terrain/city datasets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Koramei posted:

U-Drive It missions were SC4's greatest innovation and they've just been casually tossed aside

I remember breaking up a protest by flinging money out of a limousine and it not working