Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

GPTribefan posted:

Yeah it’s a little blatant 😂. Gold Circle was great, and I was little-kid mad when Hills bought them out. I miss the days of random regional department stores
Western NY had both Hills and Gold Circle for a while. I miss Hills a lot, and like you, regional chains in general. Everything is samey now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
We had this. Game was fine, but it was more fun to hurl the beanbags at my sister. Also, they actually contained beans, as we found out after beaning :v: each other one too many times. They looked like super small kidney beans.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Hills was pretty good even into the ‘90s, then when most of the locations that didn’t become abandoned turned into Ames, it all went to poo poo. Ames bought out and killed GC Murphy and Zayre, so why not Hills too.

Today I learned that there are apparently still 5 Apples grocery stores, all in Lorain County; I thought they were all gone by the end of the ‘90s.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Hills was pretty good even into the ‘90s, then when most of the locations that didn’t become abandoned turned into Ames, it all went to poo poo. Ames bought out and killed GC Murphy and Zayre, so why not Hills too.

Today I learned that there are apparently still 5 Apples grocery stores, all in Lorain County; I thought they were all gone by the end of the ‘90s.

A few years back I was heading for Sheffield for work and was utterly stunned to find an actual Apples grocery store. In my pre-pubescent head, the one we shopped at was the only one in the universe, and when I grew older I just assumed that when giant eagle bought them out that was the end of Apples.

That’s another thing I miss - the variety of independent grocery stores. They had their last gasp in the late 90s/early 00s, but they were on the way out in the late 80s. There’s like 5 mega-chains in the area now, along with a local mini-chain, but the days of the independent grocer seem relegated to the occasional small town.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

What really sucks about corporatization is that independent grocery stores tend to carry a wider variety of stuff.

Example (northeastern US): soup and canned veg. My local grocery stores used to carry a wide assortment of Campbell’s soups, and at least 3-4 other brands. Now, it’s Campbells, maybe Progresso, and some Pritikin stuff.

Consequently, when we road-trip, we almost always stop at grocery stores we never see locally, especially independents, and cruise for variety.

Dollar-store types are also, oddly, good for variety; I suspect that their stock comes from damaged-cargo auctions as I’ve found brands I’ve never heard of, as well as stuff that’s clearly from another region of the US.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

How about IGA? They just aren’t much of A Thing anymore. I know they still have to exist, but I haven’t seen one in about twenty years, and that’s only because I needed a relatively empty parking lot to teach my wife how to drive stick

[fake edit] so I looked and there are five in my area, none of them really all that close, just in a handful of dink-rear end corntowns; upon further inspection, there are only like ~730 across the US now

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
Every little town in Montana that isn't big enough for an Albertsons has an IGA, but in the 10 years I lived there I saw probably 4 close.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

How about IGA? They just aren’t much of A Thing anymore. I know they still have to exist, but I haven’t seen one in about twenty years, and that’s only because I needed a relatively empty parking lot to teach my wife how to drive stick

[fake edit] so I looked and there are five in my area, none of them really all that close, just in a handful of dink-rear end corntowns; upon further inspection, there are only like ~730 across the US now
I don't know if it's the same iga that is in Canada, but there's still a gang of them around here. Usually in smaller towns.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
We have a local chain, Harmon's. They only exist in Utah. I'm honestly surprised they haven't been bought out by a giant chain - the other (formerly) local one got bought by Kroger though they didn't change the name. There was a recent article in NYT about the loss of local/independent grocery stores and how it's led to food deserts and increased consumer prices. When all you have are like 3-4 major grocery chains they can dictate prices and it cascades down to the family farmers and ranchers who get paid way less for their products than they used to. Giant conglomerations have ruined food production. TL;DR capitalism sucks and we used to be anti-monopoly for this reason but Republicans gutted any enforcement on it.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Grocery chat: When I moved to SW Virginia in 2017, I had the good fortune to live within walking distance of a Mick-or-Mack --- the last one standing, after being a regional chain since the 1920's. Kroger and Food Lion basically crushed them out of existence.

Here's a news blurb about when they closed that
last one down, just look at how they never updated the exterior since the 50's:

https://www.wsls.com/news/local/2019/12/26/historic-grocery-chain-mick-or-mack-to-close-its-last-store/

It was equally antiquated inside, both design and product (you just got used to checking expiration dates, even on canned goods). But the 90 year old owner, Sterling, was not only the friendliest dude you'd ever meet, but bought it after he retired from being the regional head of Kroger's meat department. The man knew meat. So that meat section was on point , closest you could get to having a real butcher shop. All kinds of weird cuts and offal you'd never find at Kroger, and dirt cheap.

I work for an architectural salvage place, and we got the sign letters when it closed. So I get to enjoy a sad smile when I go through that part of the store. (They are one of the few things marked NFS, which also makes me smile. It belongs in a museum, and we're the closest thing to it here.)

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 22:12 on Jun 4, 2023

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Here's a news blurb about when they closed that
last one down, just look at how they never updated the exterior since the 50's:

https://www.wsls.com/news/local/2019/12/26/historic-grocery-chain-mick-or-mack-to-close-its-last-store/

Hole molé I fuckin’ love that, I wish there were photos of the interior

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

SubponticatePoster posted:

We have a local chain, Harmon's. They only exist in Utah. I'm honestly surprised they haven't been bought out by a giant chain - the other (formerly) local one got bought by Kroger though they didn't change the name. There was a recent article in NYT about the loss of local/independent grocery stores and how it's led to food deserts and increased consumer prices. When all you have are like 3-4 major grocery chains they can dictate prices and it cascades down to the family farmers and ranchers who get paid way less for their products than they used to. Giant conglomerations have ruined food production. TL;DR capitalism sucks and we used to be anti-monopoly for this reason but Republicans gutted any enforcement on it.

My old hometown was the corporate headquarters for a mid-sized southern grocery store chain. It's since been bought out a few times and the headquarters are long gone.

The hometown was small, which meant the chain could and did force a monopoly. An IGA came in during the 1980s. Within a year, it was gone, bought out by the local chain, which turned the building into corporate offices. It was heavily rumored that whenever the chain heard that someone was interested in moving in, they'd buy the land. Without the competition, and without another grocery store within 20 miles, they could do whatever they wanted with prices.

Since the buyouts, a second grocery store of sorts has moved in: Dollar General Market. It may be the only time in history Dollar General has actually improved a situation.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/q6zHyuo.mp4

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

No wonder so many millennials turned out gay.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9phRRAG5vbM

Gonz has a new favorite as of 13:31 on Jun 11, 2023

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wU22qYQEkg

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
And cut to some Cinemax employee having to try and hype up on-demand Friday the 13th Part VIII.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Oh wow, that brought back some intense sense memory that I didn't know I had

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i had some gum that was shaped like road gravel but i remember them as multi-colored.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

I always got the pink lemonade flavor.

But man, what cheap-rear end gum. It's a toss up between this and Fruit-Stripe as to who's flavor was gone first.

I think Fruit-Stripe edges it out (as in, Fruit-Stripe goes flavorless first) by a hair.

And I think this commercial is from the 90's, but it's got big time "late 80's" energy;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvAW1HgqSVA

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Yeah, Fruit Stripe gum always lasted 10-12 seconds (if that, even).

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Still one of my favourite movies, maybe just the memories from watching it repeatedly as a kid but it's still enjoyable.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Playing ball will never be the same.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

gently caress yeah, I had that poo poo!!

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I’m not sure if I’ve already said it here or elsewhere, but for me, Micro Machines > Hot Wheels

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

wesleywillis posted:

gently caress yeah, I had that poo poo!!

:same:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The elevators were my favorite part as it did have a hanger under the flight deck.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Aw hell yeah. I had this and also there was an airplane of some sort.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mad Hamish posted:

Aw hell yeah. I had this and also there was an airplane of some sort.

I had that too! I wonder if mm were cheap or something, since my parents never bought me crap but they bought me these.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Those were very much still a thing in the 90s and can still be found at Walmart.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

God those all tasted like poo poo.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Cartoon Man posted:

God those all tasted like poo poo.

foul. child me could taste the wrongness in it. sweetened with concentrated evil.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

If anything tastes like burning, it’s those goddamned things

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
As a child, I liked the blue ones and they were in the regular rotation of drinks I took to school for lunch for a few years. Red was okay but not as good, the others were meh.

I randomly had one maybe 10~ years ago, after not having one in the 10~ or so years prior to that. My memory was it was clearly just sugar, water, and a light blue flavor. I’ve had worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
My grandma insisted on keeping those in the basement fridge for us and I swear you'd end up more thirsty after you drank one.