Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's been a year and a half and Ukraine is already marshaling whole districts like they're planets in the Imperial Guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.
Good news for Ukraine! Gunther Fuhrerbunker has become aware of the perfidious Neutrals and their simpering peace-loving

https://twitter.com/GunterFehlinger/status/1672206418814935040?cxt=HHwWgIC9iZq477QuAAAA

https://twitter.com/GunterFehlinger/status/1672211197486039041?cxt=HHwWgoCw-a3O8bQuAAAA

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
nuch like his namesake, gunther failhitler has little respect for declarations of neutrality

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cheatum the Evil Midget posted:

Gunther Fuhrerbunker
lol

Cerebral Bore posted:

gunther failhitler
lmao

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Isnt Gunther FallschimJaeger that guy who goes to monuments and does a wierd face like he’s ripping a bad fart?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/laraseligman/status/1671935568664559632

lol the replies are absolutely deranged

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Offensive not going well so ukraine decides to signal to its masters that every ounce of ukranian blood is expendable for their geopolitical aspirations as long as they continue to fund them

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

BearsBearsBears posted:

The war will have lasted a full decade by next April.

The Donbass war had a ceasefire, it was de facto a separate conflict.

-------

Anyway, not getting into recent news. At the start of the war, there was around 300,000 soldiers in the Ukrainian army (200,000 regular, 100,000 paramilitary), with 40k actively deployed in the Donbass and the rest in bases around the country.

By July 2022, Ukraine claimed to have a 700,000 man army. I assume they are talking about possible troops, not of which they deployed. This would assume to be the previous 300,000 (Ukrainians never declare losses) and around 167,000 territorial defense troops, 200,000 or so reservists, and the remainder made up of recent volunteers. There was a claim of a million, but it turned out that included random other security forces like border guards and railway troops. I assume though not all of those troops could have been deployed.

That was a pretty huge army a year ago.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 13:46 on Jun 23, 2023

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

dunbass

JuulPodSaveAmerica
Aug 29, 2012
Great news for Chinese arms manufacturers - Chinese Firm Sent Large Shipments of Gunpowder to Russian Munitions Factory.

On two separate occasions last year, railroad cars carrying tens of thousands of kilograms of smokeless powder — enough propellant to collectively make at least 80 million rounds of ammunition — rumbled across the China-Russia border at the remote town of Zabaykalsk.

The powder had been shipped by Poly Technologies, a state-owned Chinese company on which the United States had previously imposed sanctions for its global sales of missile technology and providing support to Iran. Its destination was Barnaul Cartridge Plant, an ammunition factory in central Russia with a history of supplying the Russian government.

William George, the director of research at Import Genius, said that Poly Technologies “may be toeing the line on exactly what constitutes lethal aid to Russia,” but that the implications of the shipments were clear.

“When shipping large quantities of gunpowder intended for the creation of military cartridges to a country at war, it’s unreasonable to imagine that the finished product won’t be used to lethal effect on the battlefield,” Mr. George said.

“It is lethal support,” said Alexander Gabuev, director of the Carnegie Russia Eurasia Center. “The question is, how impactful and large scale is that?”

Barnaul Cartridge Plant, the recipient of the powder shipments, is privately owned. But Russian procurement records provided to The New York Times by C4ADS, a Washington, D.C.-based global security nonprofit, show the company had numerous contracts with divisions of the Russian government and military over the past decade, including the Russian Ministry of Defense.

Poly Technologies is one of China’s largest arms exporters. It produces equipment for police and military forces, including weapons, personal protective gear, explosives and missile systems. It attracted censure in past decades for shipping small arms to Zimbabwe. In the last few years, it has sent weapons shipments to Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Nigeria, according to records accessed through Sayari Graph, a mapping tool for corporate ownership and commercial relationships.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/23/business/economy/china-russia-ammunition.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

But Russian procurement records provided to The New York Times by C4ADS, a Washington, D.C.-based global security nonprofit,

lmao

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Well if big Z blow up the NPP, and Biden knows about it. I am sure Biden will fake outrage and plan the A5 revenge of the West for the whole year of 2024.

And then after he wins re-election, CIA will produce evidence it was blown up by the Ukrainians. Then Biden has the perfect exit ramp to get out of the Ukraine war.

How much Putin and the rest of the world know about this master plan, is anyone's guess.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

DPICM is doctrinally incorrect for fieldworks, which require a mix of HE VT and HE Delay. That makes the push for them a bit confusing.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I think we could learn a lot from Gunther Fuhrerliker's energy.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

DPICM is doctrinally incorrect for fieldworks, which require a mix of HE VT and HE Delay. That makes the push for them a bit confusing.

the push for them is because it'll make money fir the mic and also it'll give the nafo types another wunderwaffe to rally around, hth

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cerebral Bore posted:

the push for them is because it'll make money fir the mic and also it'll give the nafo types another wunderwaffe to rally around, hth

Advancing through my own uxo because it made twitter happy

JuulPodSaveAmerica
Aug 29, 2012

euphronius posted:

But Russian procurement records provided to The New York Times by C4ADS, a Washington, D.C.-based global security nonprofit,

lmao

C4ADS is to Palantir as Bellingcat is to somethingawful.com

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

Advancing through my own uxo because it made twitter happy

nobly throwing myself on an unexploded bomblet to boost the kills/shot ratio

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/SixDaysGame/status/1671881192436809728

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Does it let you play as the good guys?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

does the game include using WP on civilians

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
I happen to like Fizzy's gimmick, where else am I going to find all the bad news for Russia

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yeah fizzy is fine it's an ok bit imo

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.
Great news for Tank!

https://twitter.com/MyLordBebo/status/1672208106997047296#m

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Didn't they start developing it in 2009 or something?

Duke Nukem (is) Forever (Shelling Civilian Areas).

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That's just a Judge Dredd ripoff.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lostconfused posted:

That's just a Judge Dredd ripoff.

playtime is OVER

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Discouraging news for Ukraine - Putinist "Western officials" are downplaying Ukrainian successes in the counter-offensive

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/06/22/politics/ukraine-counteroffensive-western-assessment/index.html

CNN
Early stages of Ukrainian counteroffensive ‘not meeting expectations,’ Western officials tell CNN

By Jim Sciutto, Chief National Security Correspondent
Updated 1:55 AM EDT, Fri June 23, 2023

In its early phases, Ukraine’s counteroffensive is having less success and Russian forces are showing more competence than western assessments expected, two western officials and a senior US military official tell CNN.

The counteroffensive is “not meeting expectations on any front,” one of the officials said.

According to the Western assessments, Russian lines of defense have been proving well-fortified, making it difficult for Ukrainian forces to breach them. In addition, Russian forces have had success bogging down Ukrainian armor with missile attacks and mines and have been deploying air power more effectively.

Ukrainian forces are proving “vulnerable” to minefields and Russian forces “competent” in their defense, one of the Western officials said.

The officials cautioned that the counteroffensive is still in its early stages – and that the US and its allies “remain optimistic” Ukrainian forces will be able to make territorial gains over time. The US and its allies are likely to wait until at least July for a fuller assessment of the progress of the counteroffensive which was gradually launched over the last few weeks and is seen as crucial to determining who ultimately wins the war which was launched when Russia invaded last year.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol while western politicians are dangling the nuke plant out there. I wonder what Ukraine will do…

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Look ukraine had the incentive and means to blow up the nuclear power plant, that doesnt mean they actually did it

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://m.facebook.com/ChernihivTCKtaSP/

quote:

With the support of the Chernihiv JFO, a briefing was held by the head of the Chernihiv Colonel Oleh Honcharuk, Head of the Chernihiv Regional CCC and JFO, told the media about the main mobilisation activities taking place in Chernihiv region.

According to the Presidential Decree "On General Mobilisation", all citizens between the ages of 18 and 59 who are registered for military service are obliged to report to the local CMC and JIC to clarify military registration data and their suitability for military service.

Waiting for official documents to show up now.

https://strana.today/news/437294-jurist-objasnil-zakonen-li-prikaz-o-vseobshchej-mobilizatsii-v-ivano-frankovske-.html

quote:

It should be noted that yesterday the Ivano-Frankivsk Centre for Recruitment and Social Support gave an explanation on its Facebook page - why such an order appeared.

"Such an order is issued every time martial law and mobilisation is extended on the basis of the continuation of martial law by a presidential decree. The main purpose of the order is to re-notify the region's conscripts for their further attendance at the TCC within the stipulated period - within 10 days to clarify their military registration data," the explanation reads. The TCC also once again reminded of responsibility for failure to appear - administrative and criminal.

"With this clarification, the Ivano-Frankivsk TCC is trying to 'cover itself'. But in fact, domestic mobilisation legislation has not changed. And it does not provide for the appearance at the military registration and enlistment offices on "one summons for all". The norm that a summons given to a person in person is the basis for his appearance at the military registration and enlistment office is still in force. And only a failure to appear on such a summons may lead to liability," Kravets explained.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

spacetoaster posted:

I just sent my cousin in Kiev a text asking if this was legit. He's an office worker dude in his 50's. lol if Ukraine is making him go to the front (not really lol, I don't want him getting hurt).

Ok, he responded.

Says yep, it's real and timelines are being given to the men in Kiev. Says that if he's got to go, he'll go.

The only advice I can think to give him is don't be a hero.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
They keep attacking a nuclear plant they control because that's just how evil and incompetent the perfidious rashist is

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

that is pretty much the only coherent reason provided for why in the world russia would be attacking the NPP which i have seen

it's very stupid

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

It just doesn't make sense at all. So for months now there's been a poor Russian soldier on guard duty at the ZNPP watching his buddies on a hillside a few miles away just popping off the odd mortar shell right back towards his position? Excuse me Брат what are u doing

Noobicide
Sep 12, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

that is pretty much the only coherent reason provided for why in the world russia would be attacking the NPP which i have seen

it's very stupid

the entire invasion has been very stupid. Russia should probably just go home

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Noobicide posted:

the entire invasion has been very stupid. Russia should probably just go home

They tried, but Ukraine said no.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

spacetoaster posted:

The only advice I can think to give him is don't be a hero.

Good news! Per the conference I had to attend, heroics are outdated as we live in a Post-Heroism age.

"The conclusion derived from these examples is unambiguous: the nation in its modern understanding played but a minor role in the justification of and the motivation in war during the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. Cultural and even linguistic differences, let alone ethnicity, were not a major concern for contemporary actors, be they political decision- makers, public intellectuals or soldiers. Within the military, traditional virtues like loyalty to specific units and their commanders were still of major importance. However, something new was progressively being added to these traditional virtues: a political meaning of the fight. As a consequence, the conceptual novelty, that is the language of the nation, remains primarily political in scope. The nation, in other words, stands for political or social issues rather than for culture or ethnicity. The nation in its modern understanding was no motivation for fight and sacrifice."

Which is to say, because we live at the End of History and there are no political decisions or questions remaining, no such thing as a society, soldiers do not technically have a motivation to fight and sacrifice.

"If it is not the lack of values in the context of today’s wars that under- mines the potential for heroism, then maybe it is the nature of the values that are evoked that creates a ‘post-heroic condition’? In other words, when wars are fought for universal values, it is possibly their very universality that undermines heroism. In his chapter in this book, Cheyney Ryan questions whether universal values are suitable for producing heroes, because they are by definition cosmopolitan rather than patriotic: they are not distinctive of a particular political community. Hence they may be unable to mobilize the vital – and vitalizing – distinction between friend and foe, which for Carl Schmitt formed the essence of politics and war. In this perspective, universal values may appeal to the whole of humanity, but precisely that makes them too weak to justify sacrifices and inspire heroism. This would suggest that only the more particularistic values, which we associate with the idea of the nation, are able to produce heroes. According to this reading, it is the condition of post-nationalism that is at the root of post-heroism."

I mean, good luck to him and all, sincerely, but our ruling class are out to lunch.

Noobicide
Sep 12, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

They tried, but Ukraine said no.

can you clarify this please? Kind of seems like one country invaded the other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

humanitarian interventions have been normalized by the USA as not being “invasions”