Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Jackson Polack
Feb 13, 2018
Yeah that’s it. I buy digital through the US store to save a few bucks. Ah well. Just gonna pop on a podcast and skip every cutscene I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

I said come in! posted:

FF16 is so loving perfect.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I'm in love with Clive, the sexiest man A Live

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Clive ftw

Cid ftw

Jill ftw

Torgal ftw

Jackson Polack
Feb 13, 2018
Only took me 50 minutes to clear the demo yay

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That makes sense, the prologue is like 2/3s cutscenes so if you skip them you'll just tear through it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/guerrilla/status/1672213285712584704?s=61&t=fWsm-upldseXptBaVlet9Q

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Saw Skillup's review was negative because of the new direction. Honestly I usually don't mind criticism when a game is getting boatload of praise but I think FF going into a new direction was written on the wall with XV and 7. All his points seem to be about the lack of old systems and not necessarily the new systems being bad. So it just seems like I wanted more of that same thing which is the thing I hate the most in game critic/fans.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1672215090764959745

Yearly reminder that the PS5 packaging is pretty good.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Bugblatter posted:

Nothing can look fantastic at 1080p on a screen that big, you liar.

What lol

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Ralph Ineson rules

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This game literally makes me yell with excitement, like in an embarrassing inadvertent way.

"Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiift"

lmfao

Yeah lol a lot at that first trophy popping

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

1080p looks like poo poo on a screen half that big. I always had a feeling you were a time traveling gamefaqs poster from 2005, now I’m certain.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Bugblatter posted:

1080p looks like poo poo on a screen half that big. I always had a feeling you were a time traveling gamefaqs poster from 2005, now I’m certain.

Nah it looks fantastic because its a native 1080p screen without any bullshit, what your seeing is 1080p on non-native screen like a native 4k screen or something, snake oil basically. 4k is gonna look like poo poo on a native 8k screen. 4k downsampled to 1080p is just removing jaggies but gets to a limiting return at some point. Whale chasing. 480p dvds look abit blurry at times but starts to depend on settings at that point. Weirdly old snes/ps1 look good and ps2 look great but i have got them going through a rad2x

You also have eye adjustment and used to things to factor in but thats just that. I still think modern displays and all their extra bullshit modes and the like are causing 95% all these performance and frame pacing poo poo i keep hearing posters go on about tho and df chattin poo poo

Johnny Postnemonic fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 23, 2023

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Played FFXVI for like ten hours today. It's good.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Shill Up didn’t like FF16? Maybe I might love it then

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

kind of blown away at the visual style of Star Ocean 2 R and how much Square knows its poo poo. i wonder if they are actively involved in Super Mario RPG remake or are just giving permission, my guess would be the latter since it goes for the bland pixar style of contemporary nintendo rather than HD2D.

What the gently caress

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

bows1 posted:

What the gently caress

*laughs in shimomura*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6umlOfTip4k

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Think i prefer the snes look tbh, poo poo looks too clean here

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Heartfelming when all the good and powerful posters are in agreement on the SMRPG Remake

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't know what the correct opinion about the SMRPG remake is but I think it looks neat and I'm happy it's happening

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don’t know much about the SMRPG remake but I’ve been hearing many goons complain about cleanliness.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Skillup is a good reviewer when his reviews hit right and everyone agrees with them, but he loving sucks when his reviews are bad. The guy is pretty divisive.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Badly composited and colour quantized 3D renders might be charming in their way but this is one rare time that I think the remake just straight up looks better. It's basically the style that the original game was trying to go for but could only barely approximate. Nothing about the art direction was lost and I'm not sure what they could have done differently to make it look "faithful" beyond making it look intentionally shittier.

I also feel this way about Donkey Kong Country if it were to one day get a remake, don't @ me

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It never got a PAL release and for some reason I’ve never tried to emulate it, maybe I’ll play the original after I finish FFXVI

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
mario & luigi dream team was an extremely faithful and charming redux of smrpg's style. unfortunately dream team loving sucked

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't really have any issue with SkillUp as reviewer. I don't always agree with him but that's fine. His reviews seem genuine and thorough if nothing else.

Hell I'm not even sure I'll necessarily disagree with his FFXVI review when I actually finish the game. Some of the points he brings up (about the gameplay at least) are things that have been on my mind as potential concerns. It's entirely possible I won't be as bothered by them as he was, but it's possible I will be, too. Won't know until I play more.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Skillup:

“If you don’t like the game’s character (love it),

sprawling epic storyline (love it),

or it’s combat system (love it)

there is surprisingly nothing here for you.”

:ck5:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Are the framerate issues worse in the full game? I didn’t mind it in the demo at all even if I would have preferred it to be a rock solid 60fps obviously.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Are the framerate issues worse in the full game? I didn’t mind it in the demo at all even if I would have preferred it to be a rock solid 60fps obviously.

performance mode is not good. it dynamically adjusts the resolution to keep it at 60 fps in combat (dropping all the way to 720p at times) and the fps jumps around like a flea on a hot griddle everywhere else. graphics mode overdoes it on the motion blur but it's a much more consistent experience

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Quality mode has been fine actually. It stays at 30fps and I haven’t seen much issue with that.

Kinda feels like the game was designed with that as the main mode.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I'm in the third or fourth "main area" and the framerates in performance mode are consistently bad in town, not horrible in combat.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's hard for me to deal with graphics mode because the motion blur is so awful in it. Performance mode has worse visuals and an inconsistent frame rate but the motion blur is less prominent so I think it's what I'm gonna have to stick with until they patch in the ability to disable motion blur.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The quality mode in the demo looked and felt way worse to me than performance so I guess I’ll just get used to performance mode. It’s a long game and I’m good at adapting lol. I didn’t mind the blur but the 30fps really hurt the nice effects and whatnot for me. Plus gamefeel.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Harrow posted:

It's hard for me to deal with graphics mode because the motion blur is so awful in it. Performance mode has worse visuals and an inconsistent frame rate but the motion blur is less prominent so I think it's what I'm gonna have to stick with until they patch in the ability to disable motion blur.

I feel the same way, performance mode is Not Great but I can't deal with all the ghosting and input lag at 30fps.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

fridge corn posted:

Heartfelming when all the good and powerful posters are in agreement on the SMRPG Remake

I probably beat that game 100 times when I was 12 and had the ZSNES emulator. God tier game

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
For a few reasons, I won't be able to really dig into FF16 until like Tuesday, so I hope the patch fixes performance. If not, I'll gladly take just turning off hte fuckign motion blur.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Its fine, if you dont mind it in the demo its fine here at least so far. Tried the 30 and just feels weird, but frame rare mode as yet to drop to 30, you can see it drops when a cutscene starts and its fine

Visuals are fine tho, cant see any diff between the two but i havent really looked and in a nighttime area right now but i hear combat hits 720p and im like huh? When? Graphics are that good that it doesnt matter if it does cos you cant tell (unless you have a fancy 8k screen!!)

Johnny Postnemonic fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 23, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I just got done actually watching the SkillUp review and the review actually seems really fair. He went into the game wanting to love it and I thought his criticisms felt valid. I didn't get the "it's different so I hate it" vibe from the review at all--he's obviously very open to FF doing wildly different things, he just doesn't think this one pulled off what it set out to do and he thinks it sacrificed too much along the way.

I have no idea if I'm going to actually agree with his review or not (I've barely had time to play myself yet) but he definitely didn't seem like he was just being contrarian or a curmudgeon stuck in the past or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I've been playing ff16 in graphics mode and yes it did take a little while to get used to it but game looks great. My brain is finally getting around to accepting r1 is the dodge button. God tier game. I'm hooting and hollering at everything. What a time to be alive. Year of the rpg from Japan