Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

We're in the stall now.

While we wait:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

First point done.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I am trying to claw through the screen like a bad 2000's horror movie involving the internet

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

2nd point is wrapped and in the fridge. Bear has insisted it's couch time.

The flats should be ready once we finish watching this week's Hot Ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPP2xBDbsbE

The knuckle's gonna be a bit, but it's at 190 and climbing.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

And with that...

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 16, 2023

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

My wife took the kids away to visit in laws for the week, thus giving me the greatest father's day gift of all: the house to myself.

To celebrate I'm thawing out this small brisket to cook for myself.

Debating whether I cook it on the cheap leaky offset, or use the pellet grill and hit it with the smoke setting for a few hours before cooking (smoke setting holds around 150ish apparently.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Who wants burnt ends?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

toplitzin posted:

Who wants burnt ends?

Me

Always

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Gonna smoke a butt for Father’s Day and it came with the skin on.

How make cracklins?

I’m thinking separate the skin, dry it overnight in the fridge then put it on with the meat at 225ish to really dry it out. Then once the meat is done crank the heat way up to like 500+ and her rip until crispy?

Edit: started a little before 9 at 275, wrapped at 165 around 1:30pm in butcher paper. It’s sitting at 170 and I’m praying it’s done by 5 so it can rest a bit before dinner.

Edit2: pork is great. Tender and smokey. Cracklins are burnt. Ah well.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 18, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tri tip came out great. Should I have cooked it fat side up? I feel like maybe? It came out fantastic though.

Cooked it at 250 for like 3 hours. Might try 225 next time.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 19, 2023

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

So my plan was to pop the brisket into the pellet grill around midnight and let it go around 180 until I woke up. Then a storm rolled in at night and I did not want to go outside. Then the storm knocked the power out at 2:30 am so I was really glad I didn't have a brisket in there.

So I'm cooking a brisket on my offset for the first time. So far it's going very well all things considered. Been on for around 8 hours now.

The two pots have fat rendering out, and the makings of a cherry-chili pepper bbq sauce.

The pork belly is my neighbors, he knew I had the smoker going and snuck it in there because he couldn't use his pellet grill with the power out.

MarcusSA posted:

Tri tip came out great. Should I have cooked it fat side up? I feel like maybe? It came out fantastic though.

That looks great.

Rule of thumb to the best of my knowledge is to have the fat side facing the heat source. It protects the meat from drying out. If it came out fantastic though than I wouldn't worry.

sinburger fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 19, 2023

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Today feel like I finally unlocked the secrets to sous vide que.

I'd been trying Kenji technique and finally read some of amazing ribs content on it and changed it up 24 hrs @ 145. Refrigerate 2-ish. Onto pellet at 275 for like 1.5 hrs, honestly this was until internal temp reached 140. So how ever long that takes. Let rest for 1hr while drinking a beer in the pool with a pretty lady (optional l, beer, pool & pretty lady ( can sub handsome man as preferred)) . It had the right bend it was juicy. The only complaint is that the bark wasn't as developed as I'd like.

Otherwise I'd says it's the best brisket I've made so far sous vide. Solid 7/10. Which is saying a lot because I'm Hella critical of my own cooking.

sterster fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 19, 2023

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

I pulled this absolute meteorite of a brisket off at 11:30 pm last night, took about 14 hours in all to cook. Had the point and flat both around 200F.

I opted not to wrap it up, between the bbq sauce I was smoking and the dripping in the foil below there was enough humidity in the smoker that it didn't seem to be drying out much.

It's currently in the oven with the keep warm setting, waiting for dinner tonight.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ungh that looks goood

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Can you describe how it jiggled

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Like your mother's inner thigh while she's sitting on an out of balance washing machine

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

The jiggle was moderate, but I tried it out after the rest, not out of the smoker.

This brisket was delicious, but some of the edges were over smoked and on the crunchy side. Overall the bark was amazing though (mopping it with the bbq sauce was a great choice). I only ate a few pieces for dinner because it was rich as balls and I got very full, very quick.

In the future I would probably start earlier and cook around 225 instead of 250.

The only thing I was disappointed with was the lack of smoke ring. I generally get a solid 1/4" ruby red ring from my pellet grill, but didn't have much of anything in this one.

In case anyone cares the bbq sauce was made from a can of pitted cherries (use the juice and the cherries), diced onion, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, and a fuckton of chili flakes. I put it in the smoker with the brisket and let it cook. If the liquid level started getting low I'd dump a few frozen cherries in to re-up it. Pureed on removal.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Looking at getting into the smoker biz with a pellet grill (space limited) and I'm overwhelmed with all the retail options. Any solid recommendations or they more or less all the same and it's just "get the one on the deepest sale"?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Not a Children posted:

Looking at getting into the smoker biz with a pellet grill (space limited) and I'm overwhelmed with all the retail options. Any solid recommendations or they more or less all the same and it's just "get the one on the deepest sale"?

I guess it kinda depends on how space limited you are tbh

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Love my pitt boss Austin xl

Wifi is cool but it's not worth the price of entry. You can spend 50 bux on a. Inkbird thermometer. You're not really adjusting temps and most Hoppers can hold pellets for 12+ hrs of smoking.

I also use mine as a grill it works great for both. I'm coming from a propane grill and electric smoker. I have a small webber kettle that I didn't use much due to capacity and time to fire

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 20, 2023

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Not a Children posted:

I have a pit boss and it's a great workhorse grill / smoke based oven. The WiFi / Bluetooth function is handy, but not necessary. Having an accurate way to measure oven temp is good though.

I've read that traegers are decent, but overpriced for the quality.

Generally speaking the cheaper the grill, the thinner the metal and the poorer the tolerances on the pieces fitting together. Thinner/poorer quality metal means worse heat retention and faster degradation due to rust. Poorer tolerances means it leaks more heat and smoke. There are workarounds for these, but you can also bypass them by spending some more $$ for better quality.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I like my Traeger well enough but for the money I really like my dads Green Mountain Grill. A ton of good options these days.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, not sure about "space limited," but I'll also throw in the recommendation that gravity grills exist and I think they're pretty great. If you're really tight for space then an electric smoker might be worth looking into.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
They make pretty tiny pellet grills as well. Even portable ones.

Edit - I loved my little MES30 until the controller broke. I never used the chip tray though, only smoke tube.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 23, 2023

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Throwing a BBQ for my team. 20ish people coming over tomorrow. 4 shoulders and a 13lb (pretrim) prime brisket on the smoker now, wrapping in another hour or two. Will pull them off when done and throw on 6 racks of spares.

Menu big:
Ribs
Brisket
Pulled pork
Collard greens
BBQ beans
Max and cheese
Banana pudding with chai caramel x2 (regular and dairy free for 2 folks)

7 hours in

Wtf? App won’t let me upload pic, and Imgur link isn’t displaying with img or timg tags.

Fixed:

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 24, 2023

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Not slow cooked, but cooked with fire and smoke. I upgraded my kamado bbq to cast iron grates, and now I finally have grill marks on my food!

Not finished cooking, but I turned a piece over and was happy with those marks :D

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Doom Rooster posted:

Throwing a BBQ for my team. 20ish people coming over tomorrow. 4 shoulders and a 13lb (pretrim) prime brisket on the smoker now, wrapping in another hour or two. Will pull them off when done and throw on 6 racks of spares.

Menu big:
Ribs
Brisket
Pulled pork
Collard greens
BBQ beans
Max and cheese

7 hours in

Wtf? App won’t let me upload pic, and Imgur link isn’t displaying with img or timg tags.

I take the direct link from Imgur and throw it in timg tags. Let me see your meat

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Bob A Feet posted:

I take the direct link from Imgur and throw it in timg tags. Let me see your meat

Fixed. For some reason the 3rd time I copied the link from Imgur it just straight up gave me an entirely different URL that works.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Pork and brisket took longer than expected, as expected. Ribs are now about 3 hours in.

No pics of the other stuff because it was 4:30am.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Not slow cooked, but cooked with fire and smoke. I upgraded my kamado bbq to cast iron grates, and now I finally have grill marks on my food!

Not finished cooking, but I turned a piece over and was happy with those marks :D

The marks look awesome, but I never understood cast iron cooking surfaces for charcoal burners. Gas? Sure. But I thought the whole point of charcoal was to get cooked by radiant heat (and not conduction), and you just want something there to suspend the food so it doesn’t fall in. Hence, small grill grates.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
My assumption is the cast iron gets hotter/better heat retention. Same reason you sear a steak in a ripping hot cast iron pan.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Cast iron holds onto the dirt and grease better and that dirt and grease transfers to your food and gives it grill marks.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Doom Rooster posted:

Menu big:
Ribs
Brisket
Pulled pork
Collard greens
BBQ beans
Max and cheese

7 hours in

Fixed:

Doom Rooster posted:

Pork and brisket took longer than expected, as expected. Ribs are now about 3 hours in.

No pics of the other stuff because it was 4:30am.

1. I think that looks absolutely amazing.

2. Lol @ ~70lbs of meat for 20 people, goon speed sir.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Hed posted:

The marks look awesome, but I never understood cast iron cooking surfaces for charcoal burners. Gas? Sure. But I thought the whole point of charcoal was to get cooked by radiant heat (and not conduction), and you just want something there to suspend the food so it doesn’t fall in. Hence, small grill grates.

The only difference between gas and charcoal is the smoke flavor. The chicken gets radiant heat and conduction heat :D

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Didn’t get a lot of pics, since serving a bunch of people and slicing brisket to order takes time. Here’s what I grabbed after the first wave before seconds.

If I’m being hypercritical (which I always am), brisket was a tiny bit over on the flat, but honestly, everything else came out fantastic, especially considering it was done on a pellet smoker I’m still learning.

I even managed to treat myself to 2 hours of sleep last night!

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

^^^ That looks amazing.

Where do you all get your smoker wood?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Wow, those look amazing. Well done man! Bet it was delicious

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
Incredible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Was baited into day-drinking with some friends/colleagues yesterday around noon, and after we re-located to a park that was reasonably close to my apartment, "it was decided" that I could provide for dinner since I had a smoker.
I was fine with the general idea of daytime-drinking, and while I was super happy to fire up the smoker to provide guests with some delicious meats, I wasn't entirely happy with the idea of "continuing to drink until like 10pm when the meat is done", so I nudged my guests to grab some pork-belly at the closest discounter because I figured I could run that through the smoker fast enough that I'd be able to hit the hay at a reasonable hour and still be able to legally operate vehicles in traffic within 48 hours.
I further employed some sly subterfuge by telling my guests how they could score some mad-points with their wives if they were to bring home some delicious dinner instead of just getting picked up hammered off their noggin and gobbling down pork belly at my place.

Here are the results:
Cut the 4.4lbs pork belly in half and square-scored the skin, missionary-style

Seasoned the bottom, didn't want to season the top/skin since I wanted it to blister-up properly when finished in the pan

Threw both on the smoker at around 280-290°F

Scored skin opened up nicely for the subsequent spritzing with vinegar/apple-juice/hint of soy sauce

Fat rendered out nicely

Final result at about 204°F core temp:

The front fell off

Got to keep two slices for myself that I threw into the pan at medium heat today with stupid amounts of fat and then crisped up the skin at the end

Came out excellent, but the food coma afterwards was ridiculous

tl;dr: went drinking with friends, got coaxed into smoking meat, deployed the emergency-chute by dragging wives into it, still managed to give myself a coronary the next day