Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
A common opinion I hear is it's best to use x.264 for 1080 and x.265 for 4k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nah, in most cases 265 is going to be more efficient.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I'm just gonna wait for AV1 to be easy and supported

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

And I'll just throw in here for nexus6 that I use h.264 for most things, at either 480p or 720p. I don't really care about the difference between 480p and 1080p and neither does anyone who has access to my library.

My video files are about a gig an hour this way. Saves a ton of space and bandwidth on an audience that doesn't care anyway.

Everybody's needle is at a different point on this scale. Mine is on the very low end of posters in this thread, but if that describes you too, welcome to low cost Plex hosting, friend.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I let Tdarr tear through my entire library at h.265 and it looks just fine to me. Everyone has access to those files.
I have a separate library of specific movies in 4k that doesn't get touched. Those aren't available to remote streamers.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I don't even have anything with a 4k display so I am not bothered about 4k content. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I had some x265 content that wouldn't play smoothly on my tablet. I replaced it with x264 rips that are not only smaller file sizes but play without issues.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Yeah, I only convert my TV library to 265 because it's the biggest culprit in terms of taking up a ton of space with shows that have a million seasons and a movie is where I'm more likely to care about quality. To be honest I really can't tell the difference, especially if it's an older show or something I grabbed in 720p. It was absolutely worth it in space though, I think I'm up to 11.5TB saved so far? That's at least two drives I didn't have to buy to expand my array.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

nexus6 posted:

I don't even have anything with a 4k display so I am not bothered about 4k content. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I had some x265 content that wouldn't play smoothly on my tablet. I replaced it with x264 rips that are not only smaller file sizes but play without issues.

Are you still using your Shield as your Plex server? You’ve had multiple issues with it for years now in this thread. All of your issues probably stem from that.

x265 is always going to be more efficient.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 14, 2023

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

I let Tdarr tear through my entire library at h.265 and it looks just fine to me. Everyone has access to those files.
I have a separate library of specific movies in 4k that doesn't get touched. Those aren't available to remote streamers.

Can you tdarr folks share your config sometime? I’m not sure what to do about my massive great big anime library

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Any tips, tricks, gotchas, or warnings on splitting an existing library into 4k and non 4k, setting up a second radar/sonarr, and using tdarr to convert the 4k stuff to the new library?

Should blow it all away and start from scratch or just move stuff and rescan?

After running with a single library, the split method is starting to make sense/sound appealing.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The problem with trying to use 265 encoding for extra efficiency is speed. The comparisons that put 265 at 30-50% more efficient on bitrate are using software encoding (CPU) which is glacial compared to software encoding (CPU) 264.
If you're using something like quicksync or NVENC to hardware encode 265 at a much higher speed, the bitrate efficiency is at best severely compromised, not worth the effort, or at worst slightly worse due to the encoders being much more naive.
The other problem is transcoding - giving 265 a lossy de-noised / de-grained source and expecting more efficiency is rarely going to pan out.

In my own testing 10x0 series 265 NVENC lost considerably to software 264 at the same bitrates and 40x0 series 265 NVENC gets a narrow win, but not by a margin you'd want to start seriously bumping down the bitrates for. YMMV so if you go this route test with the hardware you have.
Handbrake is great at letting you tweak settings and watch small previews of how the encode turns out.

Just ignore tdarr. It doesn't give you enough control to actually be more efficient; there's too much which is source dependent.

If you want to store a lot of films and not have a lot of space taken up, your best option is to re-download BluRay->265 rips that people have done with highly tuned software encoding.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 14, 2023

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

x265 is mostly designed as a streaming codec, although it also has support for HDR while x264 doesn't really, hence why 4K rips are generally in x265. Where x265 really shines is in low bitrate situations, like you can have some pretty stellar-looking 1080p videos at like 3-4 megabits per second, and it'll remain watchable down to around 2 megabits/second in most cases. I think where it gets iffy is that if you want a very high bitrate, perfect quality-looking 1080p or lower resolution video, x264 is usually going to work better for you (faster to encode, greater device support, more mature codec etc.)

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Another thing where nexus6 might care is that h264 is supported by way, way more hardware, and typically doesn't require server transcoding.

Once anyone tries to open Plex in a web browser, h265 is going to have to transcode. H264 comes right through.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ive gone full default tdarr / 265 conversion and saved a lot of space with no issues for playback speed or quality so far

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That Works posted:

Ive gone full default tdarr / 265 conversion and saved a lot of space with no issues for playback speed or quality so far

Same.

I'm also not trying to run plex on a Pi or set top box, which I think needs to be called out every time someone who does is having a plex issue.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

univbee posted:

x265 is mostly designed as a streaming codec

That's why its the codec used on 4k Blu-rays.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Motronic posted:

Same.

I'm also not trying to run plex on a Pi or set top box, which I think needs to be called out every time someone who does is having a plex issue.

If called out means "mentioned", agree,

If it means "told that's dumb", it seems like a jerk move. Like back when I was learning Linux and people were telling me to use BSD ports.

If people don't wanna help folks with low end hardware, that's fine, you can let me do it. But don't go being jerky.

(I'm not saying you, motronic, were suggesting being a jerk. I just want to remind everyone else :)

cruft fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 15, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

"It doesn't work because you're doing it on the wrong hardware that requires constant hobbiest-level dedication to everything but what you're expecting is an appliance" is good advice for several people I've seen posing about plex issues here and elsewhere.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MikusR posted:

That's why its the codec used on 4k Blu-rays.

It's the HDR like I mentioned immediately after the part you quoted.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It's not, it's specifically more efficient at higher resolution content because it's regional approach to IQ (Coding Tree Blocks - can merge to be 64x64 vs 16x16 for 264) and it's improved motion estimation means massive amounts of the compression are resolution agnostic.
It is and always was, designed to throw out as much information from high resolution content as possible - the optimizations are all based around high quality source material.
It was designed to be the format for HD at home.

The fact it works better at lower bitrates doesn't mean it was "made for streaming" - in fact none of the streaming platforms had any involvement in the workgroup setup to create it, didn't fund it and haven't since licensed it.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

This is why all my videos are encoded as directories full of TIFF files.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I had an Ubuntu server that I was using partially as a Plex server go down. Assuming I can get the files off the drive, is transferring everything over as simple as copying over everything in "/var/snap/plexmediaserver/common/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server" to a fresh install? Yes, I had the snap version installed.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Khablam posted:

The fact it works better at lower bitrates doesn't mean it was "made for streaming" - in fact none of the streaming platforms had any involvement in the workgroup setup to create it, didn't fund it and haven't since licensed it.

Fair enough, I stand corrected.

I wonder when these platforms will properly migrate to a newer codec (whether it's H265/HEVC, VP9 or AV1 or whatever), I guess still too many devices stuck with H264/AVC support and nothing else.

Still, given the pressure they're under because of much of the internet's bandwidth is being used by these services, wonder why they haven't done a parallel setup-type solution (a newer codec that pushes to newer devices while keeping the H264 for the older devices).

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I am looking forward to 3-4 years out when most TV dongles will support AV1 and I can reduce my files by a quarter or something, I haven't looked into in a while but it's pretty nuts from what I remember

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
RIP - WD TV Live Media Player, that thing played every media format I threw at it.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

univbee posted:

Still, given the pressure they're under because of much of the internet's bandwidth is being used by these services, wonder why they haven't done a parallel setup-type solution (a newer codec that pushes to newer devices while keeping the H264 for the older devices).

This is how every major streaming service operates. You make a ton of different VODs with different encodes and serve the most appropriate for a device. H264 is just that but H265 gets weird with higher color with HDR10 vs Dolby Vision vs HLG. Then there's audio encodings as well.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Ugh.... why does Plex continue to seamlessly work for weeks, adding shows to each device's home page when they auto download. Then they suddenly stop, and I have to manually scan library file for them to show up?

This only became a problem when I upgraded my comptuer from a 2008 Intel Mac Pro to a 2023 Mac Mini M2

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Astro7x posted:

Ugh.... why does Plex continue to seamlessly work for weeks, adding shows to each device's home page when they auto download. Then they suddenly stop, and I have to manually scan library file for them to show up?

This only became a problem when I upgraded my comptuer from a 2008 Intel Mac Pro to a 2023 Mac Mini M2

What do the logs say?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I'm not even sure what I'm looking for in the logs to indicate what the problem is. It only happens on some devices/browsers.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Astro7x posted:

I'm not even sure what I'm looking for in the logs to indicate what the problem is. It only happens on some devices/browsers.

Sounds like a caching issue to me

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Anyone had issues with the Android client just straight up not listing episodes?

fake edit: starting to think the issue is my tablet and I should just get a new one (again)

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
sometimes episodes get collapsed into "versions" of one episode if the naming scheme confuses the plex agent. see if there's one episode with a bajillion versions

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

The thing is, this isn't an issue with just one season - it's pretty much every season of any TV show. It only seems to happen on my tablet and not my phone though.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

nexus6 posted:

Anyone had issues with the Android client just straight up not listing episodes?

fake edit: starting to think the issue is my tablet and I should just get a new one (again)

It's not your tablet. If it were your tablet, other apps would have problems too.

Things to try: clear app cache. Clear app storage. Factory reset tablet.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I tried those (short of factory resetting my tablet) but no difference. I even opened the same Plex season side by side with my phone and tablet and while my phone lists episodes immediately, my tablet doesn't list any. I even updated the Plex client.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Well, poop.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
This (the episodes not being listed) seems to be a new issue as of like a month ago but has been an on and off again issue since late 2022.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/9-23-0-1746-broke-the-tvshows-section/842456/38

A plex employee is aware of it but no solution til they fix the android app. It sometimes happens to android phones too

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

drat, I guess it's good that I'm not alone and that Plex know about it?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Anyone having issues with new music not being added to their library? Permissions are all the same as the rest of the directories, things like Airsonic recognize it and have added it. So I can't figure out why Plex refuses to add it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
What all do i loose when i move a plex library?
I'd like to hit watch history. I can't really think of what else goes away othrewise.

I have recently updated my synology, and it did not go smooth. So since i'm in the middle of the weeds I figure now is a good time to go through and clean out some of my 15 years of organizational fails. So I'm thinking i'll move/rename files to all match one convention.