Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Oh, a pole makes sense. Yeah, I made stairs and stealth leapt through the hole, then ascended out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Luff posted:

Saw somebody solve one puzzle in the wind temple the same way I did, and it was called definitely not the intended solution. What is the standard way to get this chest?
(1:10)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JnZmFWRmRE&t=460s

Isn't this just the normal scripted part of the last phase of the final fight? How did video maker do it if that clip was unusual to them?

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
The timestamp in your quote is at 7:40 instead of 1:10 for some reason, even though the other quoted videos are at 1:10. Wonder how that happened

Ise
Nov 7, 2019

My map looks so much busier than BOTW, yet I feel I've barely touched anything. At the stage of hunting the 5th sage. Spent a couple of hours farming dragon parts, assuming each other after the first needs a dragon offering. Thankfully I'm a dirty cheater and getting all I need for future use too.

The point being, I explored so much doing this and every time I focus, I get sidetracked. Its awesome.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

YggiDee posted:

Don't all those items dissolve back into goo if you separate them? How are you going to use them?

single zonite-produced parts disintegrate, but if they have some other attachment they stick around. So if you're willing to spend the zonite to make poo poo you don't need, you can make your katamari, stick an apple onto the part you want, then shake whatever else it's touching loose.

since the part still has an apple on it, it'll stay around

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Epic High Five posted:

He should've been a sage.

The only true flaw of this game

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Luff posted:

Saw somebody solve one puzzle in the wind temple the same way I did, and it was called definitely not the intended solution. What is the standard way to get this chest?
(1:10)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JnZmFWRmRE&t=70s

There's a long stick thing near the entrance. Without doing anything else you can pick it up with ultrahand and if you extend ultrahand all the way to max range you can poke the chest with the stick and attach it. Then just ultrahand again, pick up the stick/chest combo and ultrahand it back through that hole. That's it.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
How does the update work with closing the game or downloading other games?

I've been keeping it open but there are a few upcoming games I want to get soon but I'm not done with duping yet.

I noticed someone said that if you close the game and re-open it it will open in 1.1.2 even if you have auto update turned off, but I've definitely closed it a handful of times (most recently probably 2 weeks ago) and it didn't update. I'm using a physical cart of TOTK if that makes a difference?

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

So, one of my favorite memories of this game is the first few minutes after the Great Sky Island. After diving to Hyrule from the sky, I tamed a nearby horse and rode it to Lookout Landing, and I let the horse follow the path by itself while I took in the sights. As I marveled at the landscape of Hyrule post-Upheaval, which was familiar yet alien at the same time, I heard the twinkling staccato notes of the music that plays when you ride a horse. I was never particularly fond of the horse theme from BoTW, but I appreciated the jaunty mood set by the minimalistic tune all the same.

Only this time, the theme was...different. Not playful and whimsical, but mysterious. It sounded almost like a call to action, I thought. And then the backing violins came in, playing the first few bars of the original Zelda theme.

I was entranced. For the first dozen hours of the game I spend messing around in Hyrule, I made a point of traveling by horse as much as possible, just so I could hear that lovely tune. Eventually I switched over to other forms of transportation, mostly Zonaite-powered, but I never forgot that tune.

I'm almost at the end of the game now, and I decided to do a farewell tour of TotK by doing a road trip. I went to Outskirt Stable, grabbed my best steed, and traced a path that would take me to all of the games stables with only a few detours here and there. If anything caught my eye--a landmark, an NPC--I'd stop and smell the polygonal flowers, as it were.

In any case, I was a quarter of an hour into my little excursion when I heard the original horse theme from BotW. This was odd because I've NEVER heard that theme in the game. I thought that perhaps it was a sort of easter egg, like maybe if you spent enough time on a horse it would switch to the other theme or something. It turns out that no, TotK uses both themes, and so does BotW. The second theme that captivated me at the beginning of TotK was originally found in BotW, and I never heard it despite putting well over 150 hours into that game (and I never heard the first theme in TotK despite putting in almost as much time into it).

Games, man.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Found a limitation of ultra hand: can’t make a object glue to another object if the object you’re handling is already connected to the main project. Put another way, you can’t make a loop of objects

I’m trying to make a swinging battering ram (Grond from ROTK).

A battering ram requires a completed loop:

The overhead beam connects to a rope, which connects to the ram, which connects to another rope, which loops back to the overhead beam

I’m using a tree trunk as the ram, and I want it swinging from two poles instead of ropes, with wheels to let it pivot. The problem is when I get to the last part where I try to glue an object that’s part of the ram to another object on the ram, it just refuses to connect.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7247511222852095275

You’re piloting that thing? You’re braver than I thought

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

urrgh i thought the cherry trees summoned a satori when you drop an apple in their dishes, who would point out where blupees hang out. turns out the weird glowy horse owl highlights caves, and there just happened to be a blupee in the first pillar of light i saw.

been under that misapprehension for Quite Some Time

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

urrgh i thought the cherry trees summoned a satori when you drop an apple in their dishes, who would point out where blupees hang out. turns out the weird glowy horse owl highlights caves, and there just happened to be a blupee in the first pillar of light i saw.

been under that misapprehension for Quite Some Time

Not far off, since blupees are always in front of caves.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

pissssssss

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Frankston posted:

The only time I've seen Link express emotion in BotW & TotK is when he's cooking.

He cracked a blink and you miss it smile in BoTW after finishing Champion's Ballad and hanging the picture. Which combined with that drat musical box motif Nintendo always uses to emotionally wreck people, is now burned into my brain.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I’m no game designer but I feel like clothes that let you make special attacks in cold weather should make you resistant to cold weather

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

think this is referenced in some gerudo desert journal entry - maybe a chef cave? it basically calls out that you need to make a decision between stronger attacks or not being hurt by the weather

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

MachuPikacchu posted:

So, one of my favorite memories of this game is the first few minutes after the Great Sky Island. After diving to Hyrule from the sky, I tamed a nearby horse and rode it to Lookout Landing, and I let the horse follow the path by itself while I took in the sights. As I marveled at the landscape of Hyrule post-Upheaval, which was familiar yet alien at the same time, I heard the twinkling staccato notes of the music that plays when you ride a horse. I was never particularly fond of the horse theme from BoTW, but I appreciated the jaunty mood set by the minimalistic tune all the same.

Only this time, the theme was...different. Not playful and whimsical, but mysterious. It sounded almost like a call to action, I thought. And then the backing violins came in, playing the first few bars of the original Zelda theme.

I was entranced. For the first dozen hours of the game I spend messing around in Hyrule, I made a point of traveling by horse as much as possible, just so I could hear that lovely tune. Eventually I switched over to other forms of transportation, mostly Zonaite-powered, but I never forgot that tune.

I'm almost at the end of the game now, and I decided to do a farewell tour of TotK by doing a road trip. I went to Outskirt Stable, grabbed my best steed, and traced a path that would take me to all of the games stables with only a few detours here and there. If anything caught my eye--a landmark, an NPC--I'd stop and smell the polygonal flowers, as it were.

In any case, I was a quarter of an hour into my little excursion when I heard the original horse theme from BotW. This was odd because I've NEVER heard that theme in the game. I thought that perhaps it was a sort of easter egg, like maybe if you spent enough time on a horse it would switch to the other theme or something. It turns out that no, TotK uses both themes, and so does BotW. The second theme that captivated me at the beginning of TotK was originally found in BotW, and I never heard it despite putting well over 150 hours into that game (and I never heard the first theme in TotK despite putting in almost as much time into it).

Games, man.

If you ride the house during the day, it plays a variation of Zelda's Lullaby. If you ride it at night, it plays a variation of the original theme. Simple as that!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

house-riding aside, i just remembered you can also wear shields with e.g. frost or flame talus hearts attached to change your temperature, allowing a "bonus attack in X temperature" clothing set to be used without dying

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

think this is referenced in some gerudo desert journal entry - maybe a chef cave? it basically calls out that you need to make a decision between stronger attacks or not being hurt by the weather

Do you want to slay, or do you want to *slay*

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Getting close to saying goodbye to the dupe glitch with the sage. I'm just gonna finish upgrade just about everything i got in my inventory (like 4 more pieces of armor, including the funny hat with 28 def when it's maxed out) then set out for the barbarian outfit. Give myself extras of everything that seems useful, another like 100,000 rupies, and finally let the game close.

120 hours and I still have so many shrines and quests and things to find, what a game

Steve Yun posted:

I’m no game designer but I feel like clothes that let you make special attacks in cold weather should make you resistant to cold weather

It still wouldn't really fix it, but I'd be more than ok if the set bonus was a lame-rear end 1 tier cold resistance. It would be very geographically narrow where the outfit is useful, but man, it'd be something

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 23, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I assume the idea is that you use food to cover the cold resistance if you also want attack resistance, same as any other armor

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Like I said before, there's some pieces of armour that are just way too niche to be helpful. The only real reason to wear the frostbite set is for Link to look pretty...

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Fangz posted:

Like I said before, there's some pieces of armour that are just way too niche to be helpful. The only real reason to wear the frostbite set is for Link to look pretty...

I kind of wish the costumes were purely cosmetic and buffs/resistances were all through food. I may be in the minority on this but I really hated having to switch out of whatever cool outfit I wanted to wear to put on my cold weather gear or fire resistant gear.

Although part of that is because it's tedious to switch outfits. If there was a wheel outfit switch so that I could instantly switch to a full set I think I wouldn't mind it as much. And also be able to make a full set. For instance I will never wear the awful hood of the depths set, but wearing the body and legs of it with the Midna helm, and dying the parts on the body and legs orange look great as a set, and give the same set bonus as far as I can tell. It'd be cool to just instantly switch to that

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

definitely agree with that

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Yeah, would have been vastly more useful than the map shortcut in the radial menu.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The question is, does weather attack stack with normal attack up?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

definitely agree with that

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Alxprit posted:

I really doubt it.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Eh, I'm fine with it. Sometimes you have to make choices. Suffer for your fashion and whatnot.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Can I get a quick, no-spoilers answer: Should I be trying to fight the gloom hands? I've done one temple and have 8 hearts. I cannot seem to kill them so I run away. Will there be something later in the game that makes them easier or do I just need to get good? In my panic, it seems like maybe they are regenerating but they move so fast and there are so many that it's really hard to tell.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Yes you can defeat them.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Alxprit posted:

pretty sure you can do normal attack with food and have it stack with the weather attack from armor.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Harriet Carker posted:

Can I get a quick, no-spoilers answer: Should I be trying to fight the gloom hands? I've done one temple and have 8 hearts. I cannot seem to kill them so I run away. Will there be something later in the game that makes them easier or do I just need to get good? In my panic, it seems like maybe they are regenerating but they move so fast and there are so many that it's really hard to tell.

You can beat them. There's a nice reward for it, but honestly, I would wait for later in the game. You will get more tools in general that also happen to help with that encounter.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Luff posted:

The timestamp in your quote is at 7:40 instead of 1:10 for some reason, even though the other quoted videos are at 1:10. Wonder how that happened

I changed the timestamp to be the relevant part I was talking about

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

MorningMoon posted:

You can beat them. There's a nice reward for it, but honestly, I would wait for later in the game. You will get more tools in general that also happen to help with that encounter.

Thanks! I was trying to win by walking backward and sniping the eyes with a bow but they just move too fast. I'll continue running away until I feel stronger.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

house-riding aside, i just remembered you can also wear shields with e.g. frost or flame talus hearts attached to change your temperature, allowing a "bonus attack in X temperature" clothing set to be used without dying

Any idea whether different items have different heating/cooling abilities on your shield? I've been running around with the ruby shield in chilly areas but I still have to break out the snow pants when it gets really cold, I dunno if a stronger monster part might cover that on its own.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Harriet Carker posted:

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Harriet Carker posted:

Thanks! I was trying to win by walking backward and sniping the eyes with a bow but they just move too fast. I'll continue running away until I feel stronger.

That is the basic strategy for it though. Snipe one in the eye and they all stop charging forward. But use a strong bow because they will generate more hands if you take too long pretty sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Too bad cece hat doesn’t give you a dialogue buff due to your fashionista appearance. Like you would get maybe a better hint for things.