Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really like the Type C control option. R1 as dodge is fine, I feel like I've played at least a couple other games that put mobility on R1 so it doesn't feel too unnatural. The big thing is magic on L1 instead of Triangle is much better. Makes it effortless to be charging a spell during a melee combo and makes magic burst timing much much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I just got done actually watching the SkillUp review and the review actually seems really fair. He went into the game wanting to love it and I thought his criticisms felt valid. I didn't get the "it's different so I hate it" vibe from the review at all--he's obviously very open to FF doing wildly different things, he just doesn't think this one pulled off what it set out to do and he thinks it sacrificed too much along the way.

I have no idea if I'm going to actually agree with his review or not (I've barely had time to play myself yet) but he definitely didn't seem like he was just being contrarian or a curmudgeon stuck in the past or anything.

Remembering his TLOU2 review and feeling slightly skeptical

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

I just got done actually watching the SkillUp review and the review actually seems really fair. He went into the game wanting to love it and I thought his criticisms felt valid. I didn't get the "it's different so I hate it" vibe from the review at all--he's obviously very open to FF doing wildly different things, he just doesn't think this one pulled off what it set out to do and he thinks it sacrificed too much along the way.

I have no idea if I'm going to actually agree with his review or not (I've barely had time to play myself yet) but he definitely didn't seem like he was just being contrarian or a curmudgeon stuck in the past or anything.
He says the game has no party members narratively which is provably untrue even if you don't count AI allies in combat.

Literally the only way to come to that conclusion is to decide it before you played because you heard it and ignore the actual narrative.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

He says the game has no party members narratively which is provably untrue even if you don't count AI allies in combat.

Ah yeah that's fair. Like I said I haven't gotten very far yet, and I think my giving the review the benefit of the doubt comes down to some of his critiques echoing things I'd been concerned about myself (the combat depth, side quest design, linear dungeons, etc.) so it's easier for them to ring true for me absent my own experience.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Harrow posted:

I really like the Type C control option. R1 as dodge is fine, I feel like I've played at least a couple other games that put mobility on R1 so it doesn't feel too unnatural. The big thing is magic on L1 instead of Triangle is much better. Makes it effortless to be charging a spell during a melee combo and makes magic burst timing much much easier.

Yeah I've been using C and it's definitely the best control scheme out of all of them imo. Just constant mixing up of r1 and O at the start. Less of a problem now. Bigger concern atm is guzzling potions when trying to give torgal commands lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok yeah 70% of the review is “it doesn’t have this! and this! and this! it’s different!!!!!” big “BotW is bad because it doesn’t have dungeons and the hookshot” energy. He’s so focused on his own stubborn ideas of what a Final Fantasy game should always be that he frequently forgets to just review the game as it exists. He clearly also doesn’t like it apart from that, which is fair, but it’s a bad look to not be able to get over that it’s chosen to go in a different direction. It’s still like a well-written review despite that, because he’s a good writer, but definitely hoped from better for him.

He’s right about the pacing though lol it’s been pretty bad so far. Obv it starts off really well so many of you might not have reached it slowing down yet but man once it does I was falling asleep

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I am kinda tickled by folk upset that Final Fantasy has gone full action, when Square is releasing like 4 of the best turn-based JRPGs ever this year (Octopath 2, Live A Live on platforms that can handle it, Star Ocean 2, and Super Mario RPG)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MorningMoon posted:

I am kinda tickled by folk upset that Final Fantasy has gone full action, when Square is releasing like 4 of the best turn-based JRPGs ever this year (Octopath 2, Live A Live on platforms that can handle it, Star Ocean 2, and Super Mario RPG)

Octopath 2 is insanely good and anyone longing for a turn-based RPG really owes it to themselves to play it. Even or maybe especially if you didn't like Octopath 1--I bounced off Octopath 1 really hard but 2 is better in every way to a pretty impressive degree and still might well be my GOTY

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Harrow posted:

Octopath 2 is insanely good and anyone longing for a turn-based RPG really owes it to themselves to play it. Even or maybe especially if you didn't like Octopath 1--I bounced off Octopath 1 really hard but 2 is better in every way to a pretty impressive degree and still might well be my GOTY

Full agreement aside from my not playing 1. Hope it goes on sale sooner or later so more people get the chance to play it. I had a feeling 16 might overtake it for personal GOTY but I don't see it happening.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

MorningMoon posted:

Also Atlus seems to have finally gotten their heads out of their asses. They are doing multiplatform releases and remaking/rereleasing every persona game. So it's not like a few years ago where people thought JRPGs were dying. There is a poo poo ton of turnbased games and action jrpgs. Anyway JRPG for me was never just turn based.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'll be honest though, if it turns out Dragon Quest XII is leaving turn-based combat behind, I will be one of those curmudgeons stamping his feet and throwing a tantrum. I'm just putting that out there now, get everyone ready for little crybaby grognard Harrow to emerge.

Action mainline Final Fantasy? Sure, yeah, they've been doing that kind of thing for ages, let's go. Action mainline Dragon Quest? Absolutely not. Illegal.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
If I really hated the combat in 15 and the 7 remake's combat was "not good but tolerable," is 16 another improvement?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

wyoak posted:

If I really hated the combat in 15 and the 7 remake's combat was "not good but tolerable," is 16 another improvement?

Depends on how you feel about Beginner Mode Devil May Cry

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MorningMoon posted:

Wait, what platforms can't handle a 30 yr old snes game?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

wyoak posted:

Massively better than XV.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

Nah it looks fantastic because its a native 1080p screen without any bullshit, what your seeing is 1080p on non-native screen like a native 4k screen or something, snake oil basically. 4k is gonna look like poo poo on a native 8k screen. 4k downsampled to 1080p is just removing jaggies but gets to a limiting return at some point. Whale chasing. 480p dvds look abit blurry at times but starts to depend on settings at that point. Weirdly old snes/ps1 look good and ps2 look great but i have got them going through a rad2x

You also have eye adjustment and used to things to factor in but thats just that. I still think modern displays and all their extra bullshit modes and the like are causing 95% all these performance and frame pacing poo poo i keep hearing posters go on about tho and df chattin poo poo

As someone who worked pretty extensively in imagine tech this kind of hurts to read. That’s not how any of it works. Like flat earther rambling where a few terms are accurate but used the wrong way and taken toward absurd conclusions.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It clicked with me last night that magic burst is basically Nero's instant rev in DMC4 and 5. Gotta time it with the sword swing and wait a beat for slower attacks in the combo string. It's excellent for running up the damage multiplier during a stagger, now that I'm consistent with it I added about 2k damage to my usual stagger total.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

As someone who worked pretty extensively in imagine tech this kind of hurts to read. That’s not how any of it works. Like flat earther rambling where a few terms are accurate but used the wrong way and taken toward absurd conclusions.

I was going to explain that 1080p integer scales perfectly to a 4k display but the rock is just going to roll back downhill, what's the point

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

wyoak posted:

It probably depends on what you liked/disliked about 7R's combat but it's definitely an improvement over XV.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I think my copy is finally arriving later today, hallelujah. Is there another graphics patch planned soon? I’m about to go out of town so I’d consider holding off if so.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They're going to allow you to turn off motion blur in an upcoming patch, I believe

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If the motion blur's an issue for you, playing in frame rate mode does make it more tolerable, at least for me, even if the frame rate is still inconsistent and the resolution takes a hit. In graphics mode the motion blur really bugs me though. I'll try graphics mode again once the patch comes out that lets you disable it.

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

I did not enjoy FF7R's combat at all but am loving FFXVI so yes it's certainly possible. Executing well timed parries feels great and my only gripe so far is not being able to switch locked on targets with the right thumbstick.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Bugblatter posted:

What lol

Mate, pal. Its a properly calibrated and correctly set projector running various consoles with correct cables and best scalers. Im looking at it projecting final fantasy 16 through a sony playstation five right now with real eyeballs. Looks amazing.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

acksplode posted:

I was going to explain that 1080p integer scales perfectly to a 4k display but the rock is just going to roll back downhill, what's the point
Most (all?) displays annoyingly refuse to perform integer upscaling even when possible and insist on filtering the image, so it is generally true that 1080p is going to look worse at 4K than native 1080p without some kind of software or hardware pixel-perfect upscaling in the chain. I mean 1080p on a huge screen is definitely going to be noticeably jaggy, but 1080p on a huge screen upscaled with bicubic filtering or whatever is going to look both jaggy and slightly blurry.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
The only jaggys i can see are the jagged end of clives sword as he jags it in sick af combat moves

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

wyoak posted:

I mean there is a demo you can just try for a few minutes, skip the cutscenes and you will get just enough gameplay. It's different enough than XV and FF7R but maybe you also don't like action games since we don't know everything you liked or disliked.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Volte posted:

Most (all?) displays annoyingly refuse to perform integer upscaling even when possible and insist on filtering the image, so it is generally true that 1080p is going to look worse at 4K than native 1080p without some kind of software or hardware pixel-perfect upscaling in the chain. I mean 1080p on a huge screen is definitely going to be noticeably jaggy, but 1080p on a huge screen upscaled with bicubic filtering or whatever is going to look both jaggy and slightly blurry.

That's true for set-handled upscaling, but games on the PS5/PS4 Pro are upsampled in a more sophisticated manner. Returnal, for instance, is upsampled from an internal 1080p res but it's still clean, if soft. Streaming apps with 1080p content will generally also be fine. It really only is an issue if you're plugging in an older pre-4K device that requires the set to scale on its own.

The main issue with going from 4K down to 2K is contrast ratios and color gamut though. *Some* content really shines with extra resolution, but almost all content really shines with the broader color spectrum and luminance range.

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

What lol

Mate, pal. Its a properly calibrated and correctly set projector running various consoles with correct cables and best scalers. Im looking at it projecting final fantasy 16 through a sony playstation five right now with real eyeballs. Looks amazing.

I'm pretty confident that those eyeballs of yours should not be permitted to drive on public roads.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 23, 2023

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Okay I'm jiving with the combat now. Having fun launching dudes into the air and phoenix shifting up to them then once they're dead switching to deadly embrace to pluck another enemy off the ground to beat on. I'm motherfucken Spider-Clive!

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Bugblatter posted:

I'm pretty confident that those eyeballs of yours should not be permitted to drive on public roads.

Perfect vision baby.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Bugblatter posted:

That's true for set-handled upscaling, but games on the PS5/PS4 Pro are upsampled in a more sophisticated manner. Returnal, for instance, is upsampled from an internal 1080p res but it's still clean, if soft. Streaming apps with 1080p content will generally also be fine. It really only is an issue if you're plugging in an older pre-4K device that requires the set to scale on its own.

The main issue with going from 4K down to 2K is contrast ratios and color gamut though. *Some* content really shines with extra resolution, but almost all content really shines with the broader color spectrum and luminance range.

Is this like Audiophile Brain where you can no longer enjoy any music because you keep on chasing the dragon of perfect playback?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

fridge corn posted:

Okay I'm jiving with the combat now. Having fun launching dudes into the air and phoenix shifting up to them then once they're dead switching to deadly embrace to pluck another enemy off the ground to beat on. I'm motherfucken Spider-Clive!

You should play DMC4 and 5

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah my understanding is that since my PS5 knows it's connected to a 4K display, it's always producing a 4K output image. I guess Switch games would look bad through...I wouldn't know...I play those on PC...

It's weird that even the LG oleds don't integer upscale though. Seems like low hanging fruit for a feature you could sell as premium

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

WaltherFeng posted:

You should play DMC4 and 5

It's weird but DMC has never interested me whatsoever. I mean even now I'm just kinda like ehhh. It's the aesthetic I guess. I'm all about DMC: FF Edition tho

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Dmc4 kinda sucks. DmcV tho... god tier along with 3

Some great hooting and tooing moments in V. So good after 10 years of will they wont they

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
FF16 certainly looks good, but so far the colors have felt pretty washed out. Are there any parts of this game that get a bit more vibrant? For reference I'm currently in a forest for the first time very early on, and it really feels like these greens and blues of the sky should pop way more than they are. Ratchet and Clank really spoiled me on what a game could look like on the PS5, I'd really like this game to be a bit more colorful. Maybe I just haven't been placed in a truly well lit area yet

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
contraversial opinion: dmc 2013 is the best game in the series

well, best combat anyway, and probably best graphics style, the older ones feel so stilted nowdays

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

contraversial opinion: dmc 2013 is the best game in the series

well, best combat anyway, the older ones feel so stilted nowdays

They literally had to release a new version of the game with a laundry list of changes because the combat was universally agreed to be kind of poo poo so I think you are alone there

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DmC is by no means better than V but it was an okay entry point into the character action genre for people like me who hadn't ever ventured into it before. I appreciate it for that mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Skill Up also hated TLOU2 so I think hes just not a fan of feel bad games. I mean hes a looter shooter enthusiast, so his tastes kinda align that way.