Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Kalman posted:

Alright. Apple finally pulled Marvin off the app store. What's the replacement iOS eReader of choice?

Yomu seems good to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Neurophonic posted:

Yomu seems good to me.

Seconded, I use Yomu every day.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Also on the Yomu train.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I really like Yomu.

Is there a way to have it show books in progress?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I just use iBooks :shrug:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Someone recommended tiReader earlier in this thread, and that is what I have been using.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I've been using kybooks 3 for a few months now and it's pretty good. I prefer it to Marvin. It's pretty fast, can work ok with pdfs, syncs with iCloud and auto-imports from a given directory. Good set of preferences.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/kybook-3-ebook-reader/id1348198785

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Anyone ever had an app (specifically the Uber app) completely be hosed up for months on end even after reinstalls, updates etc?

We went to Disney last year and found out last minute the Uber app on mine and my wife’s phone were both jacked up. UI elements wouldn’t fully load etc. it was very odd. We ended up using Lyft but still. I can’t figure out why this is happening.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Disappointing Pie posted:

Anyone ever had an app (specifically the Uber app) completely be hosed up for months on end even after reinstalls, updates etc?

We went to Disney last year and found out last minute the Uber app on mine and my wife’s phone were both jacked up. UI elements wouldn’t fully load etc. it was very odd. We ended up using Lyft but still. I can’t figure out why this is happening.

It routinely happens on telegram on my iPad and iPhone, you can reset the view by rotating the phone and then go back to the original alignment.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
It feels like TripIt is getting a bit shoddy and clunky lately. Is there a new best choice for a travel itinerary planning app? Preferably free or one-time purchase and with a good web interface.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
So am I right that I can't set it up for my kid to have a kids account on her iPad where I can manage it from my Android phone? Is it possible to use it managed with just the one apple device?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Chin Strap posted:

So am I right that I can't set it up for my kid to have a kids account on her iPad where I can manage it from my Android phone? Is it possible to use it managed with just the one apple device?

If you have Microsoft 365 family you might be able to use their basic family tools, nothing incredibly extravagant or advanced.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Chin Strap posted:

You can get Jamf Now for free on up to 3 devices. You can manage apps and all the parental controls over the web.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

What are you looking to “manage”, exactly?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Can anyone recommend a "pantry inventory tracker" for lack of a better phrase?

I'd like a app where I can scan in items I've purchased (using the UPC) and it keeps track of how many of those items I have and, ideally, when they were purchased. Anything else like creating shopping lists, recipes based on what I have, etc. is not necessary but I don't mind if it has that functionality.I would also like the ability to share the app with other people.

I'm in Canada so there might be some apps that do not appear for me in the app store.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Mr. Apollo posted:

Can anyone recommend a "pantry inventory tracker" for lack of a better phrase?

I'd like a app where I can scan in items I've purchased (using the UPC) and it keeps track of how many of those items I have and, ideally, when they were purchased. Anything else like creating shopping lists, recipes based on what I have, etc. is not necessary but I don't mind if it has that functionality.I would also like the ability to share the app with other people.

I'm in Canada so there might be some apps that do not appear for me in the app store.

When I had a flare up of my psychotic breakdown, i found low end warehouse management softwares to cover up that niche. Stuff like Zoho inventory and the like.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I know some recipe apps have a pantry-like function but unsure if they scan products, Paprika for example. I haven’t tried using any of them, I’m not organised enough for that.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

SlowBloke posted:

When I had a flare up of my psychotic breakdown, i found low end warehouse management softwares to cover up that niche. Stuff like Zoho inventory and the like.

DRINK ME posted:

I know some recipe apps have a pantry-like function but unsure if they scan products, Paprika for example. I haven’t tried using any of them, I’m not organised enough for that.
Thanks. :) I’ll check those out.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Best public transit line tracker/searcher app similar to “Transit” app? I used to use this app all the time but now when I download it again it wants me to subscribe to regain access to things I had before, like “show all lines”.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Best public transit line tracker/searcher app similar to “Transit” app? I used to use this app all the time but now when I download it again it wants me to subscribe to regain access to things I had before, like “show all lines”.

CityMapper. It's a little more annoying than pre-tiered transit to see every transit option around you but it's solid.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it was one of those apps that was shocking that it was free without ads for the longest time. If you’re in a city it supports, it’s excellent.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I really wouldn't have minded paying a subscription for extra features and all given that I would probably use the app a ton, but having to pay a subscription just to see all the lines/busses/routes is just offensive.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Boris Galerkin posted:

I really wouldn't have minded paying a subscription for extra features and all given that I would probably use the app a ton, but having to pay a subscription just to see all the lines/busses/routes is just offensive.

I mean some of that data presumably has API costs associated with it. If you use it that much, $25 a year doesn't sound unreasonable

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

101 posted:

I mean some of that data presumably has API costs associated with it. If you use it that much, $25 a year doesn't sound unreasonable

Yeah I get that. It seems like transit schedules and routes should be pretty much fixed though, so the API calls are prolly for stuff like vehicle tracking and whatnot. Like I’ll gladly pay $25 for being able to live track my route but I dunno about paying $25 just to be able to access schedules for all the routes (which imo shouldn’t really be changing).

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah I get that. It seems like transit schedules and routes should be pretty much fixed though, so the API calls are prolly for stuff like vehicle tracking and whatnot. Like I’ll gladly pay $25 for being able to live track my route but I dunno about paying $25 just to be able to access schedules for all the routes (which imo shouldn’t really be changing).

I haven't used the app as public transport near me is abysmal, but does it not show when a bus/train is running late/delayed?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

101 posted:

I haven't used the app as public transport near me is abysmal, but does it not show when a bus/train is running late/delayed?

I wanna say it does but I haven’t used it in years. I just redownloaded it cause I’m moving to a place where I’ll be using public transit more. But showing a bus/train is delayed is what I mean by tracking vehicles and stuff. I’ll pay extra for that, but I’m not going to pay extra just to be able to see the schedule for a specific line.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Does your public transit system not have their own app? Seems like most do these days.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Does your public transit system not have their own app? Seems like most do these days.

Speaking for San Francisco there are two transport agencies (MUNI for SF itself, and BART that serves the greater Bay Area). Setting aside their accuracy, their respective apps probably only tell you their arrival times (real time or not) and if they even do routing from point A to B, I doubt they calculate routes that leverage transport beyond their agency. Apps that route using all available public transport options (ferries, buses, trains/subways) in a Metropolitan area are really valuable in that way.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Boris Galerkin posted:

I wanna say it does but I haven’t used it in years. I just redownloaded it cause I’m moving to a place where I’ll be using public transit more. But showing a bus/train is delayed is what I mean by tracking vehicles and stuff. I’ll pay extra for that, but I’m not going to pay extra just to be able to see the schedule for a specific line.

I think you are in the minority for this feature. Most people want to know when the bus is actually coming and not when one is scheduled. In Seattle it's very common for a bus to get cancelled at the last minute so going by the scheduled route is meaningless. Also, if there isn't an app there is probably a website you can access.

Edit: use Google Maps if you want something free

gariig fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 2, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Boris Galerkin posted:

I use Moovit but I've always used it in Europe, so I have no idea on how good is in the US.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Any suggestions on an alternate news aggregator? The News app is just so clogged with news+ suggestions that it’s gotten pretty annoying.

There are tons of individual apps for different outlets, looking for one that pulls those together.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

My dude have you heard of RSS?

E- Really though. Reeder can do that all in-house iirc but I use FreshRSS as well the server backend.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I’ve been using Inoreader to pull news sources, can also grab stuff from Reddit if you need additional curation.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

Any suggestions on an alternate news aggregator? The News app is just so clogged with news+ suggestions that it’s gotten pretty annoying.

There are tons of individual apps for different outlets, looking for one that pulls those together.

I’ve actually been using and enjoying Artifact, which is from the guys who created Instagram and sold it to Facebook. It’s pretty solid, and definitely more the Apple News aggregator style than some sort of RSS reader. Might be worth checking it out.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

Google News + Bypass Paywall Shortcut

or self hosted RSS + Postlight Parser for full text articles.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

maduin posted:

I’ve actually been using and enjoying Artifact, which is from the guys who created Instagram and sold it to Facebook. It’s pretty solid, and definitely more the Apple News aggregator style than some sort of RSS reader. Might be worth checking it out.

This is perfect, thanks.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I know this question has been asked a whole lot. BUT: what do we like for email apps? I have a gmail account.

Free is cool, modest 1 time payment is cool, low-cost sub is cool.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Artifact is pretty good but it sometimes has paywalled stories in there which can be annoying. Also sites like Variety are so jam packed full of ads and video autoplay it breaks the page pretty often - use the page reader icon on those for sure.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

crestfallen posted:

I know this question has been asked a whole lot. BUT: what do we like for email apps? I have a gmail account.

Free is cool, modest 1 time payment is cool, low-cost sub is cool.

This is a tough question to answer - Gmail has it's own push protocol, so the Gmail app is always going to send notifications to you faster than other mail apps. I like Spark on iOS, but I have a 5 or 6 different e-mails across other non-Gmail domains that I like being unified in one inbox. Over time, I've tried to move away from primarily using Gmail, just because I don't want to rely on Google if my account was ever locked or deleted - I'd much rather deal with my domain registrar.

Spark's gestures are nice and the app feels more like a native iOS app and not just website wrapper. Spark has a premium tier, but the free tier isn't too limiting.

I also tend to just add all my e-mail accounts to the default Mail app within iOS, turn notifications off, so my emails are offline and not dependent on being connected to Gmail's servers. I've also ran into instances where Mail downloaded an e-mail that I accidentally deleted within Gmail, so that's always been a decent backup for my use-case. This also allows iOS to index and make your e-mails searchable throughout iOS, including giving you calendar suggestions when it notices an e-mail with an upcoming appointment, for example.

If you go with the just using the default Gmail app, you may lose out on the app integrating into all of iOS's ecosystem and APIs as a whole. If you go with just Mail, you lose out on Gmail's faster push protocol. It's really dependent on you whether or not you care enough to use one or the other, or both - it often feels like so many apps are just glorified browser wrappers nowadays.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
These days I just like the built in mail app. Early on in my iPhone having days (got my first in 2014) I preferred outlook; but mail got better and outlook never really shook off the jank that I tolerated because it handled conversations better (and these days we all chat on Facebook messenger rather than in giant group email chains that that used to see 100+ emails a day).