Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Yes, correct. I am kind of mixing two subjects up here. The military models which have been Tamiya, and then non-military trucks which are Revell/AMT. I love semi trucks and bought a semi truck kit a few weeks ago (an Autocar tractor) and the thing is kind of lovely to build. I'm also building a 2016 Blazing Bison pulling tractor from AMT (which is a repop of something that came out in the 80's) and it kind of sucks rear end to build. That's what got me wondering. I love old American iron though, and AMT seems to be the only place to get it. I'm about to start collecting and building classic monster truck kits and I'm just going to buckle down that some will suck to build.

However, the semi truck thing got to me look around and now I can tell that there are some out there that look to be good. This cabover International Transtar is apparently badass to build as AMT took a classic kit and didn't just pop it but updated it. Reviews on YouTube are solid. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/amt-1203-international-transtar-co-4070a-semi-tractor-cab--1339584

So yeah, looks like for the military vehicles I've got a lot more options. For the old trucks, trailers, and race cars/monster trucks....there is only one real game in town I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

MyronMulch posted:

Zoukei-Mura are top-notch as well.

I have enjoyed building every Eduard kit I've built, with the possible exception of their 1/48 bf-110 and its awful engine nacelles. Their instructions and paint call-outs are great. Every model that I've built and said "Wow, that's awesome" has been an Eduard 1/48 WWII subject.
I'm glad to hear that. I picked up their F6-5 hellcat profipack because Sprue Bros had it on sale over memorial day and just looking through it was impressed with all the stuff it came with and how nice the instruction book is. For a newbie, it's a cheap and low-pressure way to play with resin, 3D, and photoetch parts, and it came with a nice canopy mask too.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Charliegrs posted:

What sucks is sometimes the worst companies are the only ones that make a certain model.

The lament of anyone who likes French tanks. Or French planes. Basically anything that isn't figures, weirdly enough.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

The lament of anyone who likes French tanks. Or French planes. Basically anything that isn't figures, weirdly enough.

Tamiya has a Char B1 Bis. But I have not checked it out. Holding out hope that Andy or Das Werk does a big French tank.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Charliegrs posted:

What sucks is sometimes the worst companies are the only ones that make a certain model.

What sucks more is when a model was last released like 15-20 years ago and it's nearly impossible to find as a result and the manufacturer seems to have no interest in re-releasing it, instead focusing on pushing out their massive pile of ancient lovely molds with a big shiny "NEW" label on the box.

Yes, I mainly build Revell.

EDIT: Revell has a Char B1 Bis as well but it's 1:76 and an old Matchbox mold. The paint schemes are also kinda insane. Somehow it is tempting.

Smoke fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 23, 2023

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Lavinia Spenlow posted:

What sucks more is when a model was last released like 15-20 years ago and it's nearly impossible to find as a result and the manufacturer seems to have no interest in re-releasing it, instead focusing on pushing out their massive pile of ancient lovely molds with a big shiny "NEW" label on the box.

Yes, I mainly build Revell.

EDIT: Revell has a Char B1 Bis as well but it's 1:76 and an old Matchbox mold. The paint schemes are also kinda insane. Somehow it is tempting.

I like this wild French camo:

and it may have been based on a real camo:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Tamiya has a Char B1 Bis. But I have not checked it out. Holding out hope that Andy or Das Werk does a big French tank.

Its fine, I enjoyed building it. cant remember any problems with it off the top of my dead. Meng has also a Char 2C kit.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

Flyhawk does at least one Renault tank in 1/72, and kits don't get much better than Flyhawk, that's all I can think of in terms of quality though.

For mainstream manufacturers you've pretty much just got Heller, who I believe are still just repopping ancient toolings from their days of being partnered with Airfix, and before.

Azur-FRROM, part of the Special Hobby family, do lots of french aircraft that noone else will touch but being short-run take a bit more work.

Then of course there's Mach 2. Anyone who's ever experienced a Mach 2 kit will know what I mean. Short run would be a generous definition of their kits. Roughly hewn out of styrene is closer. A stiff drink and a hacksaw required. But it's the old story - they're the only game in town for some subjects.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

3d printing and home laser cutters becoming more available might make a lot of obscure models a lot more possible. Especially variants of popular chassis, where you would only have to print or cut out the pieces that make it special. Like I have a laser engraver/cutter and if I had the files I could cut out all the stuff I need for a model ship kit that has all the plywood pieces. I can also copy pieces I have, which is super useful if something breaks.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
My entire airbrush career is built on lies.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Lolz. I wonder how far off my rig is.

Edit: it's like my BBQ thermometer setup. The factory thermometer says 225 and the aftermarket kit says 300.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
Trust nothing!
It would help explain why I always perceive the need for higher than recommended air pressures when painting.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Now I'm wondering about the gauge on my vacuum pump and whether -1 Bar is actually -1 Bar or.... :tinfoil:

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

A few days late on the modelling area chat but I've just finished off adding a few more EBMA hobby modular storage units to my workbench and tidied up a little bit.

My 'shelf of doom'/in-progress kits are on the left hand side, taunting me.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

tidal wave emulator posted:

A few days late on the modelling area chat but I've just finished off adding a few more EBMA hobby modular storage units to my workbench and tidied up a little bit.

My 'shelf of doom'/in-progress kits are on the left hand side, taunting me.

Nice looking area, but your 'shelf of doom' is woefully inadequate. As a plastic modeller you should have several lifetimes of kits you'll never finish and your estate will need to deal with. :)

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

ah I don't think I'm in danger of running out of kits anytime soon!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ah I don't think I'm in danger of running out of kits anytime soon!

Ah.. that's the stuff! Lol.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
My additions to the shelf today are very much a land of contrast

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Looking forward to the kit-bash

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Tin Tim posted:

Looking forward to the kit-bash

Oh god, stop giving me ideas

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
I need some paint advice:
I've got some metallic Gundam Markers that I want to use for some panel lining, but they seem to use an alcohol base that eats through the varnish I use. Assuming that it uses iso as it's base, does anyone know of a good gloss varnish I can airbrush that will resist it?

The nitty gritty details, if it helps:
I prime and basecoat with Mr. Hobby lacquers, then fine details are usually done with various acrylics. I use Vallejo Polyurethane Gloss Varnish to topcoat, then I normally use enamels for lining/weathering which I've never had a problem with. But goddamn this metallic marker just eats through all those layers like it's nothing. IDK what the exact solvent is cause the label is entirely Japanese tho so :confused:

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Have you tried Mr Color's clear lacquers like GX112?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

My 1/350 dreadnought is stalled out - too much to manage above the instructions with all the aftermarket parts.

I am thinking of getting something else that’s simpler but still interesting. I was considering a tank kit - something classic like a ww1 british one. Is that a terrible idea?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I finished the Meng Mark V some time ago. Great kit, anything but simple.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Southern Heel posted:

My 1/350 dreadnought is stalled out - too much to manage above the instructions with all the aftermarket parts.

I am thinking of getting something else that’s simpler but still interesting. I was considering a tank kit - something classic like a ww1 british one. Is that a terrible idea?

As previously stated, buying more model kits is a viable solution to any problem.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
The stupid way a lot of WWI tanks were constructed means it's also stupid to build a lot of the related kits.

There's really not a one of the Tamiya 1/48th Military Model line that'll treat you poorly.

If you could persuade yourself to take a trip into plane territory, and you feel like going a little out of your way to find the things, each Sweet 1/144th plane I've built has been a delight in addition to being stupidly nice for such tiny cheap kits.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Emhar has a range of WW1 tanks in 1/35 and 1/72, I picked up their MkA Whippet from Hobbycraft for a tenner last weekend https://www.scalemates.com/kits/emhar-5004-mk-a-whippet--103601

It's got about a dozen parts in total so it's about as far from a 3000 part Miniart/Ryefield/Meng etc armour kit as they come.

e: when I need a mojo build I like Hobbyboss's 'easy assembly' range. They have a wide selection of pretty simple but well engineered kits that you can build and paint it in a weekend. I've done their Brewster Buffalo and Grumman Bearcat kits recently.

tidal wave emulator fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 25, 2023

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I bought the Emhar 77 mm gun and it was a terrible kit, barely above Army Men in casting and details.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Some of their older kits could best be described as...agricultural. This one seems better than others I've seen though.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Have you tried Mr Color's clear lacquers like GX112?

I have not, partially cause that specific one seems to be eternally out of stock at the local place that sells Mr. Color
But I'm also hesitant on that cause iso will happily eat through Mr. Color lacquers.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
Tamiya M20 Armored Car. A dusty Free French version. Very fun and straight forward build.

Tried out some new things and made some mistakes (bed roll glued on upside down, among other things) but I'm happy with it.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Wow, that looks great! The weathering really looks the part.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Looks incredible!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

That armored car looks badass. Nice work!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

What does Passy mean in this context?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
That white diamond with the blue and red corners is a Free French symbol, right?

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

Chuck_D posted:

Wow, that looks great! The weathering really looks the part.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Looks incredible!

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

That armored car looks badass. Nice work!

Thanks! It was fun to try some techniques I've only read and seen on youtube like enamel washes. I picked up some products at a Father's Day visit to the hobby shop and it was a lot of fun to try them out. Some paint stippling and sponging for dirt and scratches followed by a black wash, a bit of "Streaking Grime", and finished with some pigments for a dusty look on the lower part.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

What does Passy mean in this context?

Google tells me "Passy" is a neighbourhood in Paris but I think there is more to this nickname that only French people get.

GotLag posted:

That white diamond with the blue and red corners is a Free French symbol, right?

That's right!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The “fabric” stuff looks great too, really convincing. Nice job.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

What are everyone's favorite instagram or youtube accounts to follow for the hobby?

I'd love to start following more news/tips/builders accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

My favourite modelling YouTube channels are ones which are just quite relaxing to watch, like Luke Towan/Boulder Creek Railroad for dioramas and Studio Blue Ocean for ship & sea dioramas.

PLASMO for aircraft/armour modelling and Night Shift for armour are essentials too.