Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

bird food bathtub posted:

We would all be better off if we had not spent decades building everything with the implicit assumption that everything needs to be car traffic turning in to the explicit requirement of everyone to have a car and use it to get everywhere. That would take decades to fix, and every step of the way it would be fighting against the entrenched interests that profit off of that arrangement so welp enjoy Thunderdome-ing every aspect of the rest of our lives I guess.

I don't think I'll ever take another position that requires significant commutes for the rest of my life, and I cuss at CEOs and venture capitalist pukes on twitter whenever I get the chance so Im #doingmypart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Since reddit has basically become one of the only places you can search for information now that all the search engines have been taken over by AI content and ad bots, I've been paying attention to some interesting drama that's come up. The company is following Twitter in instituting extreme API access pricing designed to make all 3rd party apps fold (intended to drive people to their native ad-supported apps), and their CEO was caught on tape slandering the author of one of the most popular iOS apps (Apollo). All 3rd party apps I know of are shutting down at the end of this month, which really sucks because Reddit's own apps are insanely under-supported and truly miserable to use.

If this is something you're interested in reading about here's a good summary from the Apollo dev: https://www.reddit.com/r/apolloapp/...tent=t1_jnfd3pv

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Yeah it's pretty crazy. I am close to friends with a bunch of mods from one of the flagship subreddits that gets showcased as one of the "good" parts of Reddit. They've been in close contact with the major parties involved with this.

Without violating anything I've been told in confidence, let me just say the new API policy rollout is going about as well as Apartheid Karen's acquisition of Twitter.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
So I had a dream last night that I was in Starship Troopers and we were going to do an orbital drop. The way this was done was with something like a force field below us as we were falling from space. While falling, another trooper floated over to me and was a girl with short white hair that apparently knew me. Flashback to being on a surfboard in the ocean (Note: I have never surfed) where she surfs up to me while my surfboard is playing Christmas music, embarrassing me. Smash cut back to the jump and she goes over the edge of the force field and is vaporized. Then I see the stats of the 55k jumpers like 10k died during the jump.
We land and I make my way to like some interior ruins with another trooper who I think I was calling Dizzy, can't confirm it was her though. Now instead of bugs we are fighting big headed wizards for some reason and they move around like in the OG Doom and Wolfenstein games. A little leading of the rifle and they were easy pickings. We fight our way to a computer room where we learn that SHODAN is attempting to mechanize these wizards and we decide that humanity needs to know this so we start to leave and that's when I woke up and went to a much more boring work day.

Melatonin's a hell of drug.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Nicotine patch sleep made me gave my dreams real hardcore Edge Of Tomorrow timelines for sure, but doing mundane army poo poo.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Slapping a nicotine patch on before bedtime is like dreaming in 4k UHD technicolor for the first time.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wrong Theory posted:

So I had a dream last night that I was in Starship Troopers and we were going to do an orbital drop. The way this was done was with something like a force field below us as we were falling from space. While falling, another trooper floated over to me and was a girl with short white hair that apparently knew me. Flashback to being on a surfboard in the ocean (Note: I have never surfed) where she surfs up to me while my surfboard is playing Christmas music, embarrassing me. Smash cut back to the jump and she goes over the edge of the force field and is vaporized. Then I see the stats of the 55k jumpers like 10k died during the jump.
We land and I make my way to like some interior ruins with another trooper who I think I was calling Dizzy, can't confirm it was her though. Now instead of bugs we are fighting big headed wizards for some reason and they move around like in the OG Doom and Wolfenstein games. A little leading of the rifle and they were easy pickings. We fight our way to a computer room where we learn that SHODAN is attempting to mechanize these wizards and we decide that humanity needs to know this so we start to leave and that's when I woke up and went to a much more boring work day.

you earned that drop badge soldier

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiUMMWrl1qE

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Slapping a nicotine patch on before bedtime is like dreaming in 4k UHD technicolor for the first time.

yuuuuuuuup

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wrong Theory posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3n-DUPjUq8

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I don't remember where we were having the conversation or when, but I remember there was a long conversation on shipping pallets.

Did we ever come to a consensus on what the best pallet was among the logistics goons?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

I don't remember where we were having the conversation or when, but I remember there was a long conversation on shipping pallets.

Did we ever come to a consensus on what the best pallet was among the logistics goons?

The answer is like an adult diaper.

It depends.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

A.o.D. posted:

The answer is like an adult diaper.

It depends.

I thought the industry had decided that the blue ones were best because they were lift-able from all sides making loading / unloaded faster / easier because they didn't have to maneuver the pallet jacks as much. But this is half remembered from a planet money podcast close to 5 years ago.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
CHEP supremacy

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Nystral posted:

I thought the industry had decided that the blue ones were best because they were lift-able from all sides making loading / unloaded faster / easier because they didn't have to maneuver the pallet jacks as much. But this is half remembered from a planet money podcast close to 5 years ago.

Oh sure, those are great. For that application. There are a ton of different pallets for different purposes.

I'm about to show you some voodoo poo poo that is probably illegal in Russia.

http://www.generalcontainer.com/liquid-totes.html
Bam, look at that strange beast. Whatever could it be for? I'm sure you could solve whatever problem that's addressing with a pencil.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
USAA left me stranded today and I canceled my roadside towing and assistance with them as a result. I'm not going to pay them $10/mo for a service that won't do anything for me.

I was in the middle of nowhere georgia when my alternator died today en route to Atlanta. I had to stop in Sylvester, GA at an auto parts store to diagnose. They did not have my alternator in stock and neither did any other auto parts store within an hour. I could order one from any of them that would have been delivered tomorrow (likely from Atlanta), but that did me no good in the moment.

USAA roadside assistance would only tow me to a nearby shop or 50 miles away for free. Towing to a shop that is closed and doesn't have the part anyways is not helpful, and I had no place to stay in Sylvester so I would have been out of pocket a hotel room. My house was 94 miles from where we were and they wanted $400 to tow my car home.

This situation forced us to cancel my birthday trip, so I'm a little bit irritated about that on top of getting stranded.

Anyone got a good recommendation for roadside assistance in the future? Are any other insurance companies actually decent or do I need to get a AAA membership or something?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

USAA left me stranded today and I canceled my roadside towing and assistance with them as a result. I'm not going to pay them $10/mo for a service that won't do anything for me.

I was in the middle of nowhere georgia when my alternator died today en route to Atlanta. I had to stop in Sylvester, GA at an auto parts store to diagnose. They did not have my alternator in stock and neither did any other auto parts store within an hour. I could order one from any of them that would have been delivered tomorrow (likely from Atlanta), but that did me no good in the moment.

USAA roadside assistance would only tow me to a nearby shop or 50 miles away for free. Towing to a shop that is closed and doesn't have the part anyways is not helpful, and I had no place to stay in Sylvester so I would have been out of pocket a hotel room. My house was 94 miles from where we were and they wanted $400 to tow my car home.

This situation forced us to cancel my birthday trip, so I'm a little bit irritated about that on top of getting stranded.

Anyone got a good recommendation for roadside assistance in the future? Are any other insurance companies actually decent or do I need to get a AAA membership or something?

I always had good luck with AAA.
I think I posted my USAA roadside assistance nightmare a few years ago, not too dissimilar, same states and everything.
Sorry your birthday is off to a hosed up start man.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I always had good luck with AAA.
I think I posted my USAA roadside assistance nightmare a few years ago, not too dissimilar, same states and everything.
Sorry your birthday is off to a hosed up start man.

Eh, yesterday was my actual day and it was good. I appreciate it, regardless.

I have to order my alternator regardless, as nowhere in town has it in stock. I'm just grateful I have an extra vehicle.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I wish I'd seen this sooner I would've been glad to come rescue you with a U-Haul trailer as I'm in Southeast Atlanta

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Lol s’all good I was home before i posted.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

You rang?

If you choose to ship international, you must use plastic. Every country has import rules and wood complicates this. Wood can harbor insects. There are nine square injection pallets that accommodate this.

CHEP. Those blue painted pallets you see in the stacks are CHEP. They are the loving MLM of logistics. They run a shithouse of a plant staffed with overworked folks in dangerous conditions. How do I know? They wanted to hire me and gave me a guided tour.

Warehouse. 42 x 42.
They hold stuff, give you breathing room in elevated racks. Drawback is they skew your ti and hi from the containers.

Shipping. Standard is 40 x 48 with stringer cutouts for forks. The fuckery of this is, in a warehouse you can't rack two of these pallets back-to-back. The overhang is dangerous, and if you rack a cutout, you have tilt. 20 feet in the air, tilt is bad.

If you are ground level loading a container, known as a TSC (twenty foot shipping container, currently being repurposed into homes) you can pinwheel the pallets and gain an extra space.

I am currently an IT nerd but I belong in a warehouse, they just don't pay enough. Also, managing a large staff is hard.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

forklifting was the most fun ive had working and i would do it again if it paid

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I've had AAA for ten years, great for roadside. I've gotten jumps, flat repairs and spare replacements and tows. Also good for discounts on car rentals.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

usaa roadside sucks balls, their garage network is bullshit compared to aaa and garages in my area pass on the calls or something

i had a flat tire. i was home and figured it was a good test of it since i paid for it and had nothing to do anyways and was pretty zooted tbh, so i spent the day couchlocked and laughing at how hard they kept loving it up. It got passed around to 5-6 different garages and kept getting marked as complete or declined.

i called usaa like 10 times and all the people were horrified at the call history. i was laughing the entire time at them asking wtf was going on with someone coming to change a flat tire. last garage that showed up 10 hours later only showed up because they saw the call history and were curious as to what the gently caress was going on.

Please also note that I live a mile from Groton Sub Base front gate and 5 minutes from the US Coast Guard Academy. It is a fully military area.

i got like 3 callbacks the week after from various managers and laughed at them all.

I work call center IT so I didnt mess with anyones stats or anything and made sure to tell them that. It wasnt their fault at all and messing with working people is the lowest of the low to me.

use em for good insurance rates and find another support for that.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Almost had a tornado. That was fun.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Booger Presley posted:

You rang?

If you choose to ship international, you must use plastic. Every country has import rules and wood complicates this. Wood can harbor insects. There are nine square injection pallets that accommodate this.

CHEP. Those blue painted pallets you see in the stacks are CHEP. They are the loving MLM of logistics. They run a shithouse of a plant staffed with overworked folks in dangerous conditions. How do I know? They wanted to hire me and gave me a guided tour.

Warehouse. 42 x 42.
They hold stuff, give you breathing room in elevated racks. Drawback is they skew your ti and hi from the containers.

Shipping. Standard is 40 x 48 with stringer cutouts for forks. The fuckery of this is, in a warehouse you can't rack two of these pallets back-to-back. The overhang is dangerous, and if you rack a cutout, you have tilt. 20 feet in the air, tilt is bad.

If you are ground level loading a container, known as a TSC (twenty foot shipping container, currently being repurposed into homes) you can pinwheel the pallets and gain an extra space.

I am currently an IT nerd but I belong in a warehouse, they just don't pay enough. Also, managing a large staff is hard.

Great writeup overall, but those nine square injection pallets almost never fit onto a regular pallet jack, so I just wanted to add that note

#pallet prattle

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

US Berder Patrol posted:

Great writeup overall, but those nine square injection pallets almost never fit onto a regular pallet jack, so I just wanted to add that note

#pallet prattle

Why not? It seems like by the time that kind of pallet had come along the existing pallet size had been in place forever, so what would drive them to not have an exact match in size?

But then I’m a computer toucher not a warehouse worker.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

forklifting was the most fun ive had working and i would do it again if it paid

I almost got written up for sharing this meme at my old job.

Why? Cause my old boss and my job sucked poo poo. Anyways, my friends almost paid for me to take a forklift certification course at a local community college for the fun of it. Hell we almost made it into someone's birthday thing before we realized the timing wouldn't work out for the birthday boy.

Still wanna do it at some point though.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

its just fun as hell zooming around and picking poo poo up and putting it down

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Nystral posted:

Why not? It seems like by the time that kind of pallet had come along the existing pallet size had been in place forever, so what would drive them to not have an exact match in size?

But then I’m a computer toucher not a warehouse worker.

Because on the fork pockets of the shipping pallets, there's an upright board on either outboard side and one right in the middle, so pallet jacks typically run on the wider dimension of that size range to make the load a little more stable. This means the forks are usually just a bit too wide set for the pockets between the nine squares (which don't have the wiggle room of the shipping pallets' fork pockets). Of course there are pallet jacks that are made with this in mind, and on forklifts you can generally adjust the spacing between forks, but I have had to move plenty of stuff off of the plastic pallets because of this problem.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Sorry, quote isn't edit

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

its just fun as hell zooming around and picking poo poo up and putting it down

p much, you also feel like a goddamn wizard when you manage to right a fallen pallet several racks up

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
GET HYPE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89dEEKEzglw

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Maybe 10 minutes after I rolled into work, I hear about a smoking shipping container out in the yard. Seems bad, so I went to check it out.

What I was greeted with:

Turns out, if you pack a bunch of Kardashian-size rolls of toilet paper together, fail to brace them in any way, then let them rub/vibrate against each other for however many thousand miles of railroad, it'll eventually do the same thing as rubbing two sticks together! Fun times for all, except the forklift driver that almost got his face melted before I yelled at him. Happy Monday!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Hekk posted:

You all are gonna make me go upstairs so I can start handing out 6ers for insulting my home state.

And yet you left.

Maybe that says more about Ohio than it does about you.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

M_Gargantua posted:

And yet you left.

Maybe that says more about Ohio than it does about you.

I come from a long line of poor trailer trash and all the drama associated with that lifestyle. Being the one person with my last name to climb my way into the upper middle class means that Ohio is best spectated from afar.

edit - and by "climb my way" I mostly mean using the military, the associated education benefits, healthcare, and pension system to make sure my immediate family are taken care of

Hekk fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 27, 2023

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The second bolt on the front of my alternator is behind the tensioner pulley...

e: I have to remove the tensioner pulley to get the alternator out. The best way to access this is by removing the front passenger tire.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 28, 2023

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Departing for a bachelor party with a giant Rainbow unicorn balloon.
We're going rafting.

It was an honor and a privilege to post with y'all

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Departing for a bachelor party with a giant Rainbow unicorn balloon.
We're going rafting.

It was an honor and a privilege to post with y'all

Congratulations 🎉

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I got a tentative job offer for a position I've had my eye on for a couple of years. Now to keep my fingers crossed while I settle in for the wait thru govt HR processes

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 17, 2023