Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

once i had finished with god of war ragnarok it was basically my blueprint for everything games shouldn't do. if someone recommends something a game should do and it makes me think of god of war ragnarok then i reject it outright. a frictionless sphere with the writing of a hallmark original movie, obnoxiously wry meta awareness to taste

God of war 2018 sucked poo poo and I shan’t be playing ragnarok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

fair

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

its so weird seeing otherwise reasonable people gassing up the textbook definition of paint by numbers AAA games

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Ragnarok Online, however, is a Good Game... if you can find a decent server that manages to exist for more than a couple of months and isn't run by people that use server "donations" to make gacha game microtransactions look like a good deal.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Was it ffX2 that was just the ladies from the previous game doing a bunch of singing magic nonsense?

I played that a little bit at a classmates apartment, and it was fun.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
That's a bait post for the known x2 enjoyers

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

B33rChiller posted:

Was it ffX2 that was just the ladies from the previous game doing a bunch of singing magic nonsense?

I don’t know, was it?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

chocobo mystery dungeon was good

It wasn't even the real Chocobo Mystery Dungeon, it was this thing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Fables:_Chocobo_Tales

Which had a character that can only be described as Shadow the Chocobo

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

as a big ffxiv fan I admit I'm willing to look past mid gameplay if the story's good, so take my comments on gow ragnarok with that in mind

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

whenever i play one of those cinematic aaa open world games i dont. because i am better than that

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Spoggerific posted:

Ragnarok Online, however, is a Good Game... if you can find a decent server that manages to exist for more than a couple of months and isn't run by people that use server "donations" to make gacha game microtransactions look like a good deal.

Yeah I was a poo poo head who'd sell my custom spriting ability to curry GM favors. And getting an Arc Angeling Card.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

pentyne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKUGwlFJAHw

loving just watched a part I hadn't seen or paid attention to, dude complaining how japanese games treat the player like and idiot and have info popups everywhere explaining everything

and last year Elden Ring comes out and ~western~ devs get insanely angry that people liked a game without a million UI features and tech pop ups. Horizon games not literally having the main character narrating an active boss battle telling you what to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuDqraUlUcM

Meanwhile I am playing Fire Emblem 7 on my Nintendo Switch.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

pog boyfriend posted:

whenever i play one of those cinematic aaa open world games i dont. because i am better than that

Same except I’ve played almost all the assassin’s creed games because I like the historical settings. It’s my biggest gamer shame

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Same except I’ve played almost all the assassin’s creed games because I like the historical settings. It’s my biggest gamer shame

i put up with all the terrible gameplay and writing decisions in kingdom come deliverance just because i want to explore a historical medieval setting lol. we understand j00

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

pog boyfriend posted:

i put up with all the terrible gameplay and writing decisions in kingdom come deliverance just because i want to explore a historical medieval setting lol. we understand j00

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
kcd had good combat

but yeah the real gameplay was admiring the historically accurate shitters in castles and stuff

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

women love the smell of dirt

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Paddy O'dour.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Pablo Nergigante posted:

same. we bear our shame on our sleeves as proud gamers

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

The Kins posted:

mystery dungeon games in general are pretty rad. the shiren the wanderer ones are my favorite, though, the level up fanfare tickles my brain

I really liked the DS Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games. Are there any good mods or fangames of those? I've got to get more use out of my CFW 3DS.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Cuttlefush posted:

kcd had good combat

but yeah the real gameplay was admiring the historically accurate shitters in castles and stuff

it does until you get to the point where the only way to fight is to use master stroke and parry everything, your armour blocks all damage, and then the game gets so bad. also that you can take the garbage eater perk and just carry around 3 tons of rotten meat on your horse and then completely ignore the entire survival mechanics of the game lol

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
the text says chocobos say "wark" but then they actually have birds calls?! wtf square

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

B33rChiller posted:

If you only listen to troll yes. But real knowers know it’s a beautiful tale of friendship, love, and loss nestled into one of the best final fantasy battle systems every created

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

pog boyfriend posted:

it does until you get to the point where the only way to fight is to use master stroke and parry everything, your armour blocks all damage, and then the game gets so bad. also that you can take the garbage eater perk and just carry around 3 tons of rotten meat on your horse and then completely ignore the entire survival mechanics of the game lol

yeah, you're right

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

youtube will show me lots of far right poo poo because to the great algorithm videos about actual history are indistinguishable from womanslayer69 ranting about how the woke mob is destroying western civilization.

dont think theres a similar thing for femboys though

youtube doesnt remember me between browser sessions + i never login. if u watch like 3 video game videos as a "new" user it starts giving u jordan peterson videos basically immediately lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

I got the tude now posted:

If you only listen to troll yes. But real knowers know it’s a beautiful tale of friendship, love, and loss nestled into one of the best final fantasy battle systems every created

this. ffx and x-2 are the pinncale of the ff battle systems

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Stux posted:

i also really like 7rs battle system but i would be 100% okay if every final fantasy was just incrementing on ffx/x-2

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Stux posted:

yep

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
ff12 has the bestiary so its good

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I remember that LotR game that copied ffx's battle system

The sincerest form of flattery

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
the three posts above my last one and the posts they quote are also correct

fin

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Cool. I should see if there's a used copy kicking around the pawn shops in town. I only got a quick chance to play a bit, and then kind of forgot about it, but I did enjoy what I played of x2.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
x2 has the best singles in the franchise

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Violen posted:

x2 has the best singles in the franchise
For a second I thought you were talking about Egosoft's game from '03.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

B33rChiller posted:

Cool. I should see if there's a used copy kicking around the pawn shops in town. I only got a quick chance to play a bit, and then kind of forgot about it, but I did enjoy what I played of x2.

It’s on steam right now. Bundled with another of the great jrpgs, you may have heard of it. Final Fantasy X

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

pog boyfriend posted:

(clipse voice) maldiiing

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

pog boyfriend posted:

its so weird seeing otherwise reasonable people gassing up the textbook definition of paint by numbers AAA games

oh you're too good for painting by the numbers now?

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Spoggerific posted:

My confession is that the only final fantasy games I have played were 6 and crystal chronicles. I only ever had Nintendo consoles as a kid and I've never bothered to go back and try any of the other FF games now that I don't have to beg mom to buy me everything.

6 is pretty awesome, it was my favorite as a kid which informs much of my opinions on FF.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

That would mean it’s super fun? Confused

I get why people like character action games, I just don’t want to play them.

Edit: you know I do like to get one in every few years, maybe I’ll just put it off for awhile. Love a nonsense FF story though.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

smdh at pog boyfriend acting like he has good video game opinions when his favorite LoL character is Zoe