Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Djarum posted:

I'll tell you I didn't see this on my bingo card. I don't see this ultimately going well for Prigozhin but this is going to cause a lot of problems for Putin and the Russian government. Prigozhin and Wagner is not something they can just memory hole nor is fighting a war against two fronts, especially when one of them is basically on top of you.

Yeah, if there's any substance to this whatsoever it seems like a clear "the winner here is Ukraine" situation. So, good news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

oh and FSB has opened a criminal case on the grounds of armed revolt

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1672331216287154176

Real status: real

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

It's just a joke. Friday is when the list of foreign agents is updated.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
i amskeptical that this is real in any way beyond prigozhin making some charged statements (and ukrainian messaging efforts seizing the opportunity to signal boosting and create reports of clashes, which no one credible on the russian side seems to actually attest to).

maybe i'm wrong, who knows

fatherboxx posted:

oh and FSB has opened a criminal case on the grounds of armed revolt

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1672331216287154176

Real status: real

there's absolutely something going on, but I'm suspicious that Ukrainian accounts would know better than well connected russians

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 23, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Djarum posted:

I'll tell you I didn't see this on my bingo card. I don't see this ultimately going well for Prigozhin but this is going to cause a lot of problems for Putin and the Russian government. Prigozhin and Wagner is not something they can just memory hole nor is fighting a war against two fronts, especially when one of them is basically on top of you.

One aspect of this would be that the Russian Wagner-led ventures in Africa will come to a halt. That will lead to some countries sliding away from Russia's camp.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I mean the MOD has been pushing to have control over Wagner activities for a while right? Would the African stuff also have fell under the MOD umbrella if they had their way?

Definitely didn't see things coming to a head like this.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

WarpedLichen posted:

Would the African stuff also have fell under the MOD umbrella if they had their way

thought the whole point of wagner was to use it for illegitimate warfare abroad, they're expendable and somewhat deniable.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Herstory Begins Now posted:

i am very skeptical that this is real in any way beyond prigozhin making some charged statements (and ukrainian messaging efforts seizing the opportunity to signal boosting and create reports of clashes, which no one credible on the russian side seems to actually attest to).

maybe i'm wrong, who knows

Same, but the twitter chatter seems to be coming from the RU side as well.

I don’t expect this to make much of a difference in the war even if real (outside of Wagner being dissolved and people court martialled / thrown out of windows) but maybe Ukraine can seize tactical gains here or there in the confusion? A lot of this reads like a planned controlled demolition of Wagner by the rest of Russian government

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

WarpedLichen posted:

I mean the MOD has been pushing to have control over Wagner activities for a while right? Would the African stuff also have fell under the MOD umbrella if they had their way?

Definitely didn't see things coming to a head like this.

Ehh probably not
Those matters require delicate, extremely unofficial connections built upon years of personal involvement - so unless Prigozhin people just shrug and go under new leadership (like, a random chekist failson) with all structure in place, those will fall apart or be sold to the next highest bidder in security services.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

there's absolutely something going on, but I'm suspicious that Ukrainian accounts would know better than well connected russians

Oh yeah, Ukrainian accounts love to scattershoot with whatever rumours and bullshit they find, but wartranslated is best source for ru-en translations of russian Telegram channels.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

fatherboxx posted:

Oh yeah, Ukrainian accounts love to scattershoot with whatever rumours and bullshit they find, but wartranslated is best source for ru-en translations of russian Telegram channels.

yeah I have no issue with him, he certainly picks and chooses what narrative to put forward a bit, but it generally is at least put together out of stuff that is actually being said. anyways I'm just grumpy because ukrainians are doing a very good job mixing in as much bullshit as possible and lol it's a lot to go through. it's a trip seeing the russian style bullshit-firehose turned towards russia

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The story of RU and Wagner troops attacking each other near Bakhmut is by far the most significant rumour, and it's a reasonable argument that it's Ukrainian misinformation given the source.

I feel like the most likely outcome here is Prigozhin getting assassinated and this whole thing blowing over without any major consequences.

However.... the alternatives are very interesting indeed

At the moment, it's a lot of noise without much substance

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1672336823568277505

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

it's a trip seeing the russian style bullshit-firehose turned towards russia

That’s it’s usual target, which is why they probably don’t know what is actually happening.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I'm getting this from a random Twitter nobody, so no idea if it is true, but they say Rybar says that he recording was made about 20 hours ago, so Prigozhin might have got himself to a safe place before releasing it? But again, could fake, either from the Twitter nobody or from Rybar.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Edit: bad source

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 23, 2023

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1672338029355102210

If this is an actual quote holy gently caress.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1672339254335221761

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

*edit* drat it I am your shadow ^^

Lets see if he's actually got a plan or if he's just self destructing I guess

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
This is an astonishing precipice between something very historically consequential and absolutely nothing at all. Guess I'm :f5: for the night

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Reasonable take on this
https://twitter.com/War_Takes/status/1672332802765864960

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1672338798691115009

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dont post Sushko in this thread, he mostly posts fantasy content (in this case - too)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Having a giant internal fight in between different halves of your armed forces in the opening stages of an active counter-offensive seems… less than ideal.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

fatherboxx posted:

Dont post Sushko in this thread, he mostly posts fantasy content (in this case - too)

Thanks for pointing that out. Will edit that out.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

it sounds like he's saying he's going to march to moscow and regime change, but he also says he wants to maintain presidential authority, is he threatening putin or someone else?

Could this be a play by Putin, via Prigozhin, to lay the blame of Russian military failures at the feet of some siloviki, purge them, and give him the needed runway to take more power & control in order to prep the masses for full fascism/total war?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Rumor, but:

https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1672341624712511489

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

If this is real it is kinda surprising the amount of personal loyalty to Prigozhin Wagner has. I would have expected them to cut him loose and bend the knee to MOD way before.

Either that or they have more insight into the weakness of the Russian state apparatus and think they have a legit shot at accomplishing anything.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Nenonen posted:

He should just challenge Shoigu to a cage match, it seems to be the latest fad.

I just really love the "not saying the big boss is wrong... but every henchman that he has put in charge of this operation for over a year has been criminally incompetent or corrupt... and the boss has done nothing about it... I love the boss!" narrative!

If only the Tsar knew....

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

Having a giant internal fight in between different halves of your armed forces in the opening stages of an active counter-offensive seems… less than ideal.

This is how I've expected the war to end. This particular fight may not be the big one, but as Russia's combat capacity continues to get atritted, more and more actors will see opportunities until finally there's one that the MoD can't handle and it all comes apart.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Looks like Prigozhin forgot to place a briefcase bomb under the Kremlin meeting room table with Putin and Shoigu before starting his putsch.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

WarpedLichen posted:

If this is real it is kinda surprising the amount of personal loyalty to Prigozhin Wagner has. I would have expected them to cut him loose and bend the knee to MOD way before.

Either that or they have more insight into the weakness of the Russian state apparatus and think they have a legit shot at accomplishing anything.
It's mostly all talk by Prigozhin at this point, his troops might buckle really quickly except for some loyalists. It's probably more desperation than anything else.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

From Meduza:

quote:

Sources close to the Kremlin appear to have been taken by surprise. “Clearly, he didn’t coordinate any of this with the president’s administration,” says one insider familiar with the situation in the President’s Office. “The president trusts the military leadership at the moment. The Ukrainian counteroffensive proved not to be such a great threat. In any case, this is the way it comes across. Whether Prigozhin coordinated any surprise steps with the law enforcement or security structures, or with Putin personally, I don’t know,” says the same speaker.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

In the Russian defence system, the people are defended by two separate yet equally important groups: The Wagner Group, who recruit criminals, and the Ministry of Defence, who seek to purge the Wagnerites. These are their stories. :doink:

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1672343773907484674

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

drat, I chose the wrong week to finally delete my Twitter account.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

From Meduza:

quote:

Another Kremlin source suggests that Prigozhin might be “bluffing,” and that his threats will not lead to any real steps. “He’s blown his roof to make such claims, while a system-minded person would not even think such things,” says the insider.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

BBC Russia says roadblocks set up on the Don Highway highway (leads to Rostov), and soldiers have orders to shoot if anyone tries to go past it

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

drat, I chose the wrong week to finally delete my Twitter account.

:same:

here's a wish to all of ya: if possible, when there's an embedded message that is longer than what can be shown, quote the text here so no one has to go to twitter to read it. Unless there's nothing of interest in the rest of the tweet.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1672345605115396097

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Nenonen posted:

:same:

here's a wish to all of ya: if possible, when there's an embedded message that is longer than what can be shown, quote the text here so no one has to go to twitter to read it. Unless there's nothing of interest in the rest of the tweet.

You can just click on the tweet to read it? I get asking for paywalled stuff but cmon it’s just clicking a link.