Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
3 days to moscow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The tankie spin I see on a few discords is "now Ukraine is going to get ground up by two armies at the same time instead of one!" so that's probably the fascist stan line from here on out. Enjoy.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Lmfao at even 10% of the current news right now

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

quote:

Using palace intrigue to create disinformation people will actively flock to because they love drama

lol lmao

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Toxic Mental posted:

The tankie spin I see on a few discords is "now Ukraine is going to get ground up by two armies at the same time instead of one!" so that's probably the fascist stan line from here on out. Enjoy.

:hmbol:

Do they think this is civilization?

Hell if anything Deserters might side with Ukraine to avoid being in the Nazi/ Z Blood Bowl

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Toxic Mental posted:

Lmao, why not make every mobiks a general of their own army of one? Ukraine won't be able to stop 200k armies at once

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I can't help being reminded of when a friend of mine triggered a street brawl between rival kid gangs in our town.

He was up behind a rooftop parapet and threw an egg at one guy's back just after the two groups had finished threatening to beat each other up and had passed each other.

One little egg, and chaos ensued lol.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1672334446886899712?s=20

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1672328280119148548?s=20

:lol:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

e: wrong link

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I'm kinda stunned that I am currently shitposting about yet another collapse of a Russian government on my phone

Modernity is wild

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 23, 2023

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Imagine if this was just Pirzy being a pissbaby again, but then the FSB and everyone taking him seriously and trying to hammer him made him actually back up his threats this time

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
All this sounds too good to be true, but maybe...

Toxic Mental posted:

But Ukraine was already fighting two "armies" how is this supposed to be worse especially if they're also distracted fighting each other

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I choose to believe at least some of this is true because it is the funniest, and most logical, outcome of Russian wars in the 21st century post covid

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Comedy option is the pissed off RU army members that join up with Free Russia brigade lol

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
wagner nazi patch lessons incoming

zone
Dec 6, 2016

:laffo: so it IS really happening, what a way to go!

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Mnoba posted:

wagner nazi patch lessons incoming

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Does anyone have that Dr. Manhatten commenting on Russian government collapse repeatedly meme?

I feel this is appropriate

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I wonder if tankies now think Wagner is more nazi than Azov now lol

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/igorsushko/status/1672338025731469312?s=20

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1672338029355102210?s=20

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1672338798691115009?s=20

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 23, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Es Bleiben in Raum, Shoigu, Gerasimov, Patrushev, und Mishustin

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I sit back and watch as the situation unfolds.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Wow. I don't know if this is "it" or not, but I'm reminded of this blog post someone shared in the fall, discussing how the war might end

quote:

The scenario that I will propose here is that a Russian conventional defeat in Ukraine is merging imperceptibly into a Russian power struggle, which in turn will require a Russian withdrawal from Ukraine. This is, historically speaking, a very familiar chain of events.

In the overall logic that I am describing, rivals would seek to conserve whatever fighting forces they have, either to protect their own personal interests during an unpredictable time, or to make a play for Moscow. If this is indeed the present situation, it will soon seem foolish for everyone involved to have armed forces located in distant Ukraine, or, for that matter, to get them killed there day after day. Then comes a tipping point. Once some people realize that other people are holding back their men, it will seem senseless to expend (or alienate) one's own.

At a certain moment, this logic applies to the Russian army itself. As Lawrence Freedman has pointed out, if the army wants to have a role in Russian politics or prestige in Russian society, its commanders have an incentive to pull back while they still have units to command. And if Putin himself wants to remain in power, neither a discredited nor a demoralized army is in his interest.

Right now Wagner is leading the daily Russian attempts at offensives in the Bakhmut area of Donetsk region, which are not actually going anywhere. Wagner does not seem to be very active where the Ukrainians are advancing, which is rather more important. Yesterday Gulagu.net reported that a Wagner fighter shot a Russian army officer, which would seem to indicate that all is not well on that part of the front. Is it a stretch to suppose that Prigozhin is sparing whatever valuable men and material he has left? He has been openly recruiting Russian prisoners to fight for Wagner in Ukraine; I would venture the supposition that he is sending them to die and keeping back the men and equipment who might have a future in some other endeavor.

And so we can see a plausible scenario for how this war ends. War is a form of politics, and the Russian regime is altered by defeat. As Ukraine continues to win battles, one reversal is accompanied by another: the televisual yields to the real, and the Ukrainian campaign yields to a struggle for power in Russia. In such a struggle, it makes no sense to have armed allies far away in Ukraine who might be more usefully deployed in Russia: not necessarily in an armed conflict, although this cannot be ruled out entirely, but to deter others and protect oneself. For all of the actors concerned, it might be bad to lose in Ukraine, but it is worse to lose in Russia.

The logic of the situation favors he who realizes this most quickly, and is able to control and redeploy. Once the cascade begins, it quickly makes no sense for anyone to have any Russian forces in Ukraine at all. Again, from this it does not necessarily follow that there will be armed clashes in Russia: it is just that, as the instability created by the war in Ukraine comes home, Russian leaders who wish to gain from that instability, or protect themselves from it, will want their power centers close to Moscow. And this, of course, would be a very good thing, for Ukraine and for the world.

If this is what is coming, Putin will need no excuse to pull out from Ukraine, since he will be doing so for his own political survival. For all of his personal attachment to his odd ideas about Ukraine, I take it that he is more attached to power. If the scenario I describe here unfolds, we don't have to worry about the kinds of things we tend to worry about, like how Putin is feeling about the war, and whether Russians will be upset about losing. During an internal struggle for power in Russia, Putin and other Russians will have other things on their minds, and the war will give way to those more pressing concerns. Sometimes you change the subject, and sometimes the subject changes you.

https://snyder.substack.com/p/how-does-the-russo-ukrainian-war

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

https://twitter.com/IFilipau/status/1672336589349965826

Zing!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1672339512888901635?s=20

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1672339254335221761

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Big "Cardassian Liberation Front" vibes :stare:

Seriously, what the actual gently caress?!

:f5:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

:lmao:

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

I'm late to this, so let me just say:

:rubby:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

:munch: welp guess I’m not sleeping tonight

Stay safe Russian goons

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Stay safe, Fatherboxx.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Samovar posted:

Stay safe, Fatherboxx.

gonna drink for the whole night so i can piss heartily on the burned ruins of "Wagner Center"

I think they gonna long knives the poo poo out of wagner leadership rn

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Everything I said earlier about how this could be some kind of controlled opposition? Yeah, I'm just gonna throw all that poo poo out the window, because I've basically been doing the below while reading those tweets.

Dead forum user
Oct 1, 2021
Is there any chance this will end up in a somewhat serious power struggle? Is Prigozhin even popular at all in Russia? If this is a coup attempt, it doesn't seem very well planned

zone
Dec 6, 2016

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Realistically, how many troops does Wagner have? Is this an actual potential threat to Poopin, or something that can be mopped up by Rosvgardia pretty quickly?

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Putin and Pissgoblin are both giant pieces of poo poo.

(Pissgoblin was okayed by a mod no probe)

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

CommissarMega posted:

Everything I said earlier about how this could be some kind of controlled opposition? Yeah, I'm just gonna throw all that poo poo out the window, because I've basically been doing the below while reading those tweets.

Same. I initially assumed it was some ingenious Ukrainian psyop that wildly took off - maybe deepfaked videos and audio of Prigozhin, staged shellings, etc. So much of the reporting was coming from Ukrainian sources that it seemed more likely.

Now I have no loving clue. This is insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dead forum user posted:

Is there any chance this will end up in a somewhat serious power struggle? Is Prigozhin even popular at all in Russia? If this is a coup attempt, it doesn't seem very well planned

Your guess is as good as anyone's; my gut tells me that Putin's too entrenched to take on, but maybe Prigozhin's smart/dumb enough to think he can take the MoD head-on- basically, the tsar is secure, the boyars are fighting.

EDIT: Let's be clear though, my gut told me that this was some kind of psyop, so don't place your bet on my instincts :shobon: