Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

sonatinas posted:

Too bad cece hat doesn’t give you a dialogue buff due to your fashionista appearance. Like you would get maybe a better hint for things.

It having no upgrades and ability was a real let down. I would've worn it often if it had even the mildest utility besides looking rad. Really, a transmog system in all games pls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

It still wouldn't really fix it, but I'd be more than ok if the set bonus was a lame-rear end 1 tier cold resistance. It would be very geographically narrow where the outfit is useful, but man, it'd be something

You only need 2 levels of resistance to get fully protected, so 1 level as a set bonus and the cold/warm aura from a ruby/sapphire shield would keep you fully protected and free to use food for defense buffs or maybe more attack buffs? I don't know if weather attack and regular attack up stack.

You can always just wear the outfit with one piece of cold/heat resist gear and the shield, the set bonus just makes the elemental attacks proc more often. Same with the shock attack set and the thunder helm.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

I found a cheaper way (unless you consider a sapphire too expensive to burn) was to create a magic ice rod and hit them with freeze clouds over and over. They only stay frozen for a second but it's enough to keep it "stunlocked" and the ice cloud is big enough to hit all 5 of them pretty reliably. You'll have to back off occasionally for the staff to recharge every few swings but it only takes a couple seconds. You could probably use a frost emitter on a shield or something to the same effect but I never tried it.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

CHRIST the spirit temple fight sucks. Mineru hits like toilet paper.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

Runcible Cat posted:

I don't know why more of y'all didn't attach a Shock emitter in one of the hands. That made the fight trivial for me. Bob, weave, shock, punch. Repeat until dead.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

They should bring back the Power Bracelet but give it slots for Armor set bonuses. You could call them charms and if you collect the full armor set, upgrade to level 2, and then beat a challenge you get the charm. Beating the regional weather phenomenon for the hot/cold/fire/zora sets, beating a combat challenge for barbarian, beating a climbing challenge for frog, a skydiving challenge for the wing suit, etc…

Imagine Link wearing a little Pandora bracelet.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Instant delete boss device.

https://twitter.com/marshymarsh101/status/1672041903423115265?s=46&t=3EOpiZM3xgOAfkrtyNRvRw

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

wtf how are the lasers dealing damage? they were so ineffectual in mine

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lasers have a per-enemy cooldown of 0.5 seconds, so rapidly spinning new lasers at an enemy works just as well as focusing all those beams on them for the same period (while also letting you hit other things)

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Khanstant posted:

wtf how are the lasers dealing damage? they were so ineffectual in mine

Lasers do damage the frame they hit, and then tick damage slowly after that. So by having lots of lasers hit the boss rapidly you do a shitton more hits than if you just held the laser on the target. Buzzsaws like that are the easiest way to do it, but a minigun-like setup can work if you have something to block the beams occasionally

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
oh word. I set up a spinning wheel laser a few times, but with like 4 on it and cannons, looks like you can reach critical mass with more! also the cannons probably just knocked people out of laser range (and myself) more than anything

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Runcible Cat posted:

there are zonai devices in the corners of the room. i just attached a cannon and blasted the boss into the wall repeatedly without giving them a chance to respond

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Icedude posted:

Lasers do damage the frame they hit, and then tick damage slowly after that. So by having lots of lasers hit the boss rapidly you do a shitton more hits than if you just held the laser on the target. Buzzsaws like that are the easiest way to do it, but a minigun-like setup can work if you have something to block the beams occasionally

I made a minigun too but it wasn’t as effective as the spinning laser buzzsaw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgwec98TiJY

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Kaubocks posted:

there are zonai devices in the corners of the room. i just attached a cannon and blasted the boss into the wall repeatedly without giving them a chance to respond

All I seemed to get was a couple of spike balls...

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

ninjoatse.cx posted:

How do all of you have a miner's set? I've been avoiding google (except to get the climber's set) and I haven't found any of the pieces.
i got the helmet and pants early on, and i somehow missed the shirt until literally after lighting up the entire depths and beating the final boss.

no, i have no idea how i managed that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Icedude posted:

Blocking beams doesn't help sadly

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

I don't know why more of y'all didn't attach a Shock emitter in one of the hands. That made the fight trivial for me. Bob, weave, shock, punch. Repeat until dead.

I actually used my bow with shock fruit, you can fire the bow without getting off.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

AstraZenmaster posted:

So, amazing game, clearly.

But I'm a bit miffed (Rito spoilers) that the game allows you to find your way all the way up to the wind temple by yourself, without alerting you to the fact that you must have your little bird buddy with you to get through it.

I'd found the book in Rito Village revealing the legend of the boats in the sky, figured it was a pretty clear hint to go explore up there... then followed little birdy dude up the mountain path, but took the wrong fork just before getting to the cave. Instead found a big Rito guy who told me that my princess was in another castle, got frustrated, saw a tower in the distance and went off to explore.

That led me to some sky islands with bits to build a mobile platform, with steering and fans... then I used rockets I'd collected from the gumball machine to boost all the way up.

I managed to get there but got a red-X when trying to activate the Zonai gate - but it let me solve a bunch of riddles, unlock chests, etc, without ever indicating that I'd skipped an essential part of the buildup - I only realized it after giving up and heading to Google. Seems like a bit of a failure of storyline contingency planning - a little disappointing...

Catching up on the thread and I'm glad I'm not the only one who got owned by this. I had felt pretty clever puzzling out where I needed to go from the hints in town and finding my way through challenging terrain. Only to spend the next 2 hours combing every inch of the temple feeling increasingly bad about myself because I couldn't figure out what extremely obvious thing I was missing to get these loving GEARS TO TURN. Turns out, I was missing something extremely important and it is actually supposed to be very signposted and easy :v: I just blew right past the first signpost.

I know the whole point of the game is to solve poo poo your own way. But if a quest is going to be totally impossible without doing step A, it would be cool if they didn't let you do steps B-X before throwing up the brick wall. Put the impassable barrier way earlier. To be fair, this is the only time in this insanely massive open world game where I've felt like the designers let me down. Which is drat impressive. But coming so early in the game it almost put me off wanting to continue. I'm real glad I did.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010
Are the weather-related attack bonuses better than the barbarian or fierce deity bonuses?

And as for the gloom hands I carry a fire rod at all times in case one pops up but occasionally one will still grab me so frost might be better.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Apparently auto-build treasure chests are also lynel-roar-proof

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Also it seems koroks are buoyant

https://twitter.com/zelda_watchan/status/1672191073790332934?s=46&t=Kzmv5HsyFqNWsBcA-dIRLA

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Anyone tried using an ancient arrow on Ganon?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Giggy posted:

Are the weather-related attack bonuses better than the barbarian or fierce deity bonuses?

And as for the gloom hands I carry a fire rod at all times in case one pops up but occasionally one will still grab me so frost might be better.

You can use puffshrooms and dazzlefruits, too.

I wish the Star Fragments did damage to gloom enemies. A star fragment rod looks cool as hell, but seems to do nothing besides let you see ahead of you in dark areas

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Only finding certain pieces of armor sets is really irritating, because as an example I found the Fierce Deity shirt within my first 20 hours and 100 hours later I have no idea where the other two parts are. My armor menu is pretty much full sets I bought in the regional hubs and a giant mishmash of everything else. I know there are NPCs you can find that lead you to pieces in caves but I've only encountered them once or twice.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Steve Yun posted:

I tried using one on a gleeok. It didn't work. But they do work on lynels.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Manoueverable posted:

Only finding certain pieces of armor sets is really irritating, because as an example I found the Fierce Deity shirt within my first 20 hours and 100 hours later I have no idea where the other two parts are.

There's a hint to the location of the full set in a cave near the stable at the foot of death mountain (not the forest stable).

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Manoueverable posted:

Only finding certain pieces of armor sets is really irritating, because as an example I found the Fierce Deity shirt within my first 20 hours and 100 hours later I have no idea where the other two parts are. My armor menu is pretty much full sets I bought in the regional hubs and a giant mishmash of everything else. I know there are NPCs you can find that lead you to pieces in caves but I've only encountered them once or twice.

it's the worst. I filled out my most-wanted sets by googling cuz I was tired of not having full Barbarian, Climber's and Rubber suits.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If I buy stuff from the Poe dude it says he only has 1 in stock and I’m getting the last one. If I then break it, does it come back into stock again

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

If I buy stuff from the Poe dude it says he only has 1 in stock and I’m getting the last one. If I then break it, does it come back into stock again

Yes

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

But is it the same weapon?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

But is it the same weapon?

look buddy, you give me 100 souls of the lost and damned, i give you a sword. do you ask the ostriches and elk why they give you beef when you hit them with arrows?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The sky island ostriches dropping venison is a wonderfully weird detail.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Having eaten ostrich, accurate

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Macaluso posted:

I kind of wish the costumes were purely cosmetic and buffs/resistances were all through food. I may be in the minority on this but I really hated having to switch out of whatever cool outfit I wanted to wear to put on my cold weather gear or fire resistant gear.

Although part of that is because it's tedious to switch outfits. If there was a wheel outfit switch so that I could instantly switch to a full set I think I wouldn't mind it as much. And also be able to make a full set. For instance I will never wear the awful hood of the depths set, but wearing the body and legs of it with the Midna helm, and dying the parts on the body and legs orange look great as a set, and give the same set bonus as far as I can tell. It'd be cool to just instantly switch to that

That’s one of the many QOL improvements Fenyx Rising made on their rip-off of BOTW.

You’d collect armor sets that had boosts but you could make each piece look like whatever other armor piece you had access to. I don’t remember exactly how the system worked but I know I wanted it in every game like this.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Steve Yun posted:

If it’s like any other boss it just takes off little.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

I'm actually opposed to transmog, I like when a game forces you to match your aesthetics to your character/situation.

Think I like no transmog best in Souls/Elden Ring. You're scrounging for every tiny advantage, and that advantage will come with an outfit that looks stupid by necessity.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Fortunately the best-looking set in TOTK is also the best set to wear like 90% of the time anyway (Sheikah Set dyed black)

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Poque posted:

Fortunately the best-looking set in TOTK is also the best set to wear like 90% of the time anyway (Sheikah Set dyed black)

Ah I bet that looks good. I've only does the bone set. Navy and red is pretty nice on it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

I'm actually opposed to transmog, I like when a game forces you to match your aesthetics to your character/situation.

Think I like no transmog best in Souls/Elden Ring. You're scrounging for every tiny advantage, and that advantage will come with an outfit that looks stupid by necessity.

I enjoyed walking around as a warrior princess with a metal pumpkinhead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Poque posted:

Sheikah is so clearly the the best for literally everything except high level combat it's a joke. You like grabbing the wild animals, hunting the big ones? Yeah take the stealth suit that also makes you move faster 50% of the time.