Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Don't you have to be a certain level of shareholder to participate in those things? Like that guy that spent $35,000 to ask the question about F-Zero, except this time it was just ranting about Splatoon hairstyles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Crazy has no price

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Hope this guy inspires others to blow money on Nintendo stock so they can complain about the lack of Rhythm Heaven

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Palmtree Panic posted:

Hope this guy inspires others to blow money on Nintendo stock so they can complain about the lack of Rhythm Heaven

Be the change you wish to see

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To be fair it's not like buying Nintendo stock is throwing money away, it's been a good investment the past few months.

But yeah still pretty sad.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

*rewinds every move in Fire Emblem until I get a perfect score with no one dying*

:smug: "First try."

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Large Testicles posted:

Be the change you wish to see

Sadly I don't think there's any amount of money that will bring back Rhythm Heaven :smith:

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Gumdrop Larry posted:

A new DQ Monsters is awesome but for real where is this gosh drat DQ3 remake.

They're having to remake DQ1 and 2 on the cart as well, so that you get the "appropriate impact" from the late-game DQ3 reveals

Now, I made that up entirely, but wouldn't that be cool?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They should just put the GBC version of 1+2 on NSO. Those were good.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is from a few pages back, but talking about how some games were designed around CRT reminds me of CGA graphics. Check this poo poo out. I grew up with old DOS. games and never knew this:

Skip to about 4:45, or watch the whole thing I don't care, I'm not your dad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niKblgZupOc

It's a very special use case but it's amazing that combinations of the original 4 colour palettes in CGA can, given the right connections and TV, give you 4 separate palettes of 16 colours each. All specifically from NTSC artifacting.

Edit: is there a setting in DOSBox or something that mimics this?

It's so weird to see an osprey depicted in janky rear end old computer games, I always forget it's first flight was in 89.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
As far as we know the F-Zero guy spent all that money in vain so maybe hold your horses before cashing out your entire 401k.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

About a decade ago I got a bunch of Mario Party figures out of a capsule machine, and they had proportions like this. That's pretty much how Mario looked. But Yoshi and Bowser looked like freaks in that squished style. I'm glad they did some creative liberty. But they forgot to remove Mallow instead of Yoshi.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Manoueverable posted:

As far as we know the F-Zero guy spent all that money in vain so maybe hold your horses before cashing out your entire 401k.

He's still got Nintendo stocks, doesn't he? Those are reasonably solid unless they put out a SwitchU.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

You essentially need to download all of the MGS Master Collection data if you get the physical version, which totally defeats the purpose. Most of the reason I get physical versions are to save space on my SD card for digital-only games.

Also I know those games were't this massive when they first released, so what gives?

Still gonna buy it though lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The point is you can resell it :shrug:

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

3500... that's what? 1M views on youtube? That's not the worst gamble in the world.
Some of the dumbest clout chasing videos get 10s of millions of views with nothing accomplished.

But I'm watching Scott the Woz's 3+ hour overview of his switch collection instead.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The point is you can resell it :shrug:

Sure but once the Switch eShop servers eventually end, that goes away too.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is the GBA Fire Emblem that just came out worth a drat? I've never played any of them, but I loved the Shining Force games.

I've played all of the localized Fire Emblems (and 4) and this one's in my top three. Anyone even remotely interested in Fire Emblem as a series should start there, it's basically designed for newcomers.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Also I know those games were't this massive when they first released, so what gives?
my money's on higher bitrate audio

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Sure but once the Switch eShop servers eventually end, that goes away too.

I wouldn’t worry about that

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ammat The Ankh posted:

You essentially need to download all of the MGS Master Collection data if you get the physical version, which totally defeats the purpose. Most of the reason I get physical versions are to save space on my SD card for digital-only games.

Still gonna buy it though lol

PS3 version of the mgs hd collection was 22 gigs for three games. I'm not surprised it's over that when you include bonus concept art/videos, higher bitrate audio, higher bitrate fmv, higher res texture, etc.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah GBA FE is what got me into the series like most of us here I imagine and it genuinely holds up. Great map design in the game and tight game design. There's pretty much no customization but I think it works to the series favor meaning the devs knew what tools they had to work with.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I got tickets to Nintendo Live!

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah GBA FE is what got me into the series like most of us here I imagine and it genuinely holds up. Great map design in the game and tight game design. There's pretty much no customization but I think it works to the series favor meaning the devs knew what tools they had to work with.

The best SRPG I've ever played. Also, one of the few games that I really, really cared about the story and more so, the characters. Permadeath really ramped the tension up, and I reset battles so many times. I only let one guy die during the campaign IIRC he was a pirate axe guy? I felt bad about it.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

neato burrito posted:

The best SRPG I've ever played. Also, one of the few games that I really, really cared about the story and more so, the characters. Permadeath really ramped the tension up, and I reset battles so many times. I only let one guy die during the campaign IIRC he was a pirate axe guy? I felt bad about it.

Better than Path of Radiance?
That's a bold statement, Cotton.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Admittedly, I have not played through that many SRPGs. No Fire Emblems besides the two GBA ones. The genre doesn't usually click with me, despite repeated efforts.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

neato burrito posted:

You let Dart die?! You monster!

Edit: I played the chapter shortly after getting Dart so many times. You have to deal with fog, reinforcements, a recruit opportunity that requires you to field a specific party member, a boss with a ranged weapon and a turn limit if you want to reach a bonus chapter. I am amazed in hindsight that I had the patience to retry that chapter so many times on actual hardware (so no save states there).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 23, 2023

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm gonna have to find time to do another run of this FE. I remember getting my SP alongside FE7, Mario & Luigi, and Sword of Mana for Christmas, and FE is probably my favorite of the bunch, though M&L is very close competition!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Was RPG the first time Mario appeared in 3D?

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Rolo posted:

The OG Mario movie was before that

i think so actually yeah

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Ditto, and now debating whether I really want to book a flight/hotel to experience it (and PAX West?) or will it be a convention-sized shopping experience with some photo booths.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Rolo posted:

Mario Clash came out the year before. That answer should not be interpreted as a yes or a no.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rolo posted:

Kinda wild that Mario 64 was only three months after that

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I kinda realized releasing FE7 in the app was genius, let them implement a turnwheel at no cost so it's closer to the modern FEs.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Lucky SOB! Say hi to Mario for me

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

otter posted:

Better than Path of Radiance?
That's a bold statement, Cotton.

I honestly felt that Sacred Stones was the small misstep between Binding Blade and Radiant Dawn since the whole cast and plot is rather bland. That whole run of games from 6 to 10 is excellent and are the ones that convinced the series was great. And then there was Awakenings but that's another story.

7 is fantastic.

I genuinely did like the Laguz from 9 and 10 though. They add a cool wrinkle to units and strategy that we haven't seen since.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I'm gonna get to hear new Booster's Tower music this year. I hope Bowser and Booster still get to kiss Mario also.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Postman posted:

I'm gonna get to hear new Booster's Tower music this year. I hope Bowser and Booster still get to kiss Mario also.

Can't wait to see the end game parade with new fireworks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Booster is my favorite minor villain in the Mario series. Looking forward to this! The presentation looked and sounded superb, so Im certain we can count on cool visuals and music. :)