Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

bird food bathtub posted:

Oh neat if you're knowledgeable on the subject I had a question I wanted to ask. As I understand it, everything initially went to poo poo when a tanker truck full of fuel went boomy-burny under the bridge, but it looks like they dumped an rear end pile of that aero stuff on it and threw down a road on top just to get things going without a bridge anymore? So did they just fill in the road under it with that dirt/aero stuff as a temporary thing?

Thats correct. The reconstruction will happen in several phases:

1) Get rid of the existing bridge. (The beams are ruined.) Done.
2) Create temporary shoring around the internal (median) lanes of the span. (Done)
3) Fill in the temporary shoring with the glass aggregate composite. (Done)
4) Open Temporary Lanes to Traffic (Done, thanks Gritty and the Fanatic)
5) Build the exterior lanes permanently while the temporary construction is in place (They have to source a lot of material, which is why a timeline is not in place yet). While there are steel foundries in place all around Philly, there is still a hell of a lag time in production. Industry has to move all kinds of poo poo around.
6) Open exterior lanes to traffic. Shift lanes to exterior lanes.
7) Build interior lanes in a similar manner as 5.
8) Final grading, traffic safety features, final pavement construction, etc.
9) Open everything back up.

e: 7a: Get rid of the aggregate, open the underpassing road back open to traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

SquirrelyPSU posted:

3) Fill in the temporary shoring with the glass aggregate composite. (Done)

A question on this one, from the article here. The Aero Aggregates CEO mentioned that there's an 86-inch sewer line in the area that would've been crushed if they brought in sufficient regular aggregate instead of the glass foam aggregate.

... so what the hell would they have done if they didn't have access to the dramatically lighter glass foam aggregate? Is there any kind of an alternative that wouldn't bust that sewer line, or would they just have been hosed with no alternatives short of permanently rebuilding the drat thing?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

facialimpediment posted:

A question on this one, from the article here. The Aero Aggregates CEO mentioned that there's an 86-inch sewer line in the area that would've been crushed if they brought in sufficient regular aggregate instead of the glass foam aggregate.

... so what the hell would they have done if they didn't have access to the dramatically lighter glass foam aggregate? Is there any kind of an alternative that wouldn't bust that sewer line, or would they just have been hosed with no alternatives short of permanently rebuilding the drat thing?

Hastily poured concrete slab I imagine.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Bailey bridge, severe speed restrictions and 24 hour traffic enforcement to murder every truck that doesn't take the detour

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Keep an eye on the Ukraine thread, as some very weird poo poo is going on with the Russians:

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1672313115667472401?t=k-KymTHFs-CIVeIpBsxwOw&s=19

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1672331032136421376?t=LSHbaSS-QSH1t9Kq84LFJQ&s=19

Wagner is saying Russia rocketed them, right around the time the Ministry of Defense said "all PMC contracts now go through us first before they get to Wagner". So the Wagner guy is having a normal one and popcorn will be in the Ukraine thread.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 23, 2023

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/IanColdwater/status/1672311686806511629?s=20
sounds bad to me but idk

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
at this point my assumption is that God was taking a nice fuckin nap the last however many times this thing went down and only last week realized "you know, i should really make sure nobody's been doing gross violations of the laws of physics" before activating his trash compactor

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
No longer rated for 1atm of pressure? No worries, we won't have 1atm where we're going!

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

OH BABY A TRIPLE DECUPLE ERROR: INFINITE FUCKUPS DETECTED

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Uh well they didn't use it in an airplane so it's fine.
:goonsay:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It's applicable because it made a really loud "BOEING" when it crushed like a beer can between two bullet trains

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CBJSprague24 posted:

"I'm Yuppiename McBigBrains from Washington, and I want to be the next Elon Musk. Here's a septic tank I've converted into a submarine. It has no survival equipment, questionable comms, and its ballast is used construction pipingcarbon fiber is recycled because Boeing can't use it anymore. Green!"

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
https://twitter.com/mearmalite10/status/1672294066535677952

LOGITECH UNDEFEATED

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
How does this keep getting funnier?!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
there's no way that's real

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

No loving way.

Zamujasa posted:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
It is a funny joke post. A hollow plastic shell full of air would be obliterated by the pressure even if it wasn't obliterated by the pressure obliterating everything surrounding it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

A.o.D. posted:

How does this keep getting funnier?!
:emptyquote:

Zamujasa posted:

Who cares? It's funny.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Alright so I’ve been reading a bunch about deep sea stuff and I’ve got a question.

We don’t feel the weight of water on our bodies when floating because the pressure is balanced within and without on all sides. For unprotected deep sea dives, people stay alive by breathing pressurized air and equalizing themselves to the outside. That makes sense.

If I place my hand on the bottom of the ocean, flat against the ground, would I feel every bit of the water weight pushing my hand flat? If I put my hand flat on the floor at the surface and put a 200lb weight on it that would be really uncomfortable, and that’s roughly 500ft of water.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 23, 2023

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Tiny Timbs posted:

Alright so I’ve been reading a bunch about deep sea stuff and I’ve got a question.

We don’t feel the weight of water on our bodies when floating because the pressure is balanced within and without on all sides. For unprotected deep sea dives, people stay alive by breathing pressurized air and equalizing themselves to the outside. That makes sense.

If I place my hand on the bottom of the ocean, flat against the ground, would I feel every bit of the water weight pushing my hand flat? If I put my hand flat on the floor at the surface and put a 200lb weight on it that would be really uncomfortable.

If you remove all the water somehow and made your hand perfectly flat yes. This is how suction cups work.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

gently caress why didn’t I think of suction cups

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

This is beyond perfect comedy.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Tiny Timbs posted:

If I place my hand on the bottom of the ocean, flat against the ground, would I feel every bit of the water weight pushing my hand flat? If I put my hand flat on the floor at the surface and put a 200lb weight on it that would be really uncomfortable, and that’s roughly 500ft of water.

The water is pushing everywhere on your body at the same pressure. The weight on top of your hand would be pushing only on the top of your hand.

I had an argument with a first about kicking in a boiler steam drum door when there was still >10 psi on the boiler. On a 1'x2' hatch thats almost 300lbs.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Anyway I’m watching James Cameron’s Deepsea Challenge right now and it’s insane how his sub practically looks like an alien spaceship compared to that carbon fiber coffin

lightpole posted:

The water is pushing everywhere on your body at the same pressure. The weight on top of your hand would be pushing only on the top of your hand.

If my hand is flat on the bottom there’s no water underneath it pushing up, there’s only water on top pushing down. At 500ft that’d be about 3200lbs spread over the back of the palm.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 23, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tiny Timbs posted:

Anyway I’m watching James Cameron’s Deepsea Challenge right now and it’s insane how his sub practically looks like an alien spaceship compared to that carbon fiber coffin

If my hand is flat on the bottom there’s no water underneath it pushing up, there’s only water on top pushing down. At 500ft that’d be about 3200lbs spread over the back of the palm.

Real Deep Sea Submersibles are crazy machines, especially the pressure vessel, which is usually a spherical marging steel or titanium forged sphere.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

so the Russians doing a coup or what

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

CommieGIR posted:

Real Deep Sea Submersibles are crazy machines, especially the pressure vessel, which is usually a spherical marging steel or titanium forged sphere.

Enhance

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
You don't go squish at depth because your body is mostly water, which is pretty hard to compress. This is why the electronics boxes of many ROVs and submersibles are filled with mineral oil, and the float of the Trieste was filled with gasoline instead of air for buoyancy.

A submersible's crew compartment is full of air, which is very compressible. The pressure leads to deformation as the air tries to compress. The non fluid parts of your body (lungs, ear canals, etc) require equalization or they will in fact be crushed at a relatively low depth. Same reason your ears hurt if you're flying with a cold.

When you do have a circumstance where the pressures on either side of you are not the same, you get Byford Dolphin'd.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Stultus Maximus posted:

If you remove all the water somehow and made your hand perfectly flat yes. This is how suction cups work.

They have 200 pound weights on them?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Tiny Timbs posted:

Oh, youre talking about in a theoretical sense yeah

Milo and POTUS posted:

They have 200 pound weights on them?

No, 14.7 lbs/sq inch. Theres no pressure on the other side.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 24, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SquirrelyPSU posted:

The whole thing giving me the heebie geebies. I feel like the conclusion of this thing might have the potential to go wrong and fly out of control more than any point preceding it. Who knows, I'm just paranoid as hell anymore.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Russia created the mercenaries to be able to send their military around the world and do things that would reflect badly on the state.

They created a snake and its not shocking the snake bit them in the end.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOLdn36K7Xk

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If Wagner really does run off to form Outer Heaven I’m gonna poo poo

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

As stated up thread, the pressure is pushing relatively equally around your entire body. 500ft/151m is approximately 16.1 atmospheres of pressure. The current record dive is 300+m of depth. There's no real way to put your hand directly on the sea floor without some water pressure still beneath it. You might feel some pressure in your middle ear and sinuses if you weren't able to equalize, but once those are equalized you don't feel it. It could also be felt in the lungs because the breathing gas becomes denser and harder to breathe.

The weird stuff comes when breathing pressurized gas at depth because you start dealing with Partial Pressures and gas narcosis. Nitrogen in Air starts to become narcotic at approximately 30m/100ft, but is different for each person. Oxygen in Air starts to become dangerous at 1.6 PPO2 at approximately 60m/200ft but that is also super dependent on the person. O2 seizures typically start at 2.2 PPO2, but some people have taken "chamber dives" with a PPO2 of 4.0 and been fine. But ultimately, any gas blend taken to extreme depths (for a human) needs to be leaned out and is hypoxic, so sustains life at depth but would cause hypoxia at lower pressure. To deal with the Nitrogen narcosis, you add Helium, but then you get narcosis from Helium at certain depths. The old school tech diving gas blend for extreme depths was Heliox, helium and leaned out oxygen, but then that can cause tremors or shaking. So now a lot of the tech divers pushing the limit will cut their Heliox with nitrogen to get some of the narcotic effect to reduce the shaking.

And then there's the whole tissue saturation problem and decompression theory. Despite all the research, it's super individual dependent and is all theoretical. Dive tables down to 100m/330ft are pretty accurate, deeper than that and it's kinda :shrug:. That's not really an issue for saturation divers, cuz they can chill out in their pressure vessel and get back to one atmosphere over a long course of time. Dudes trying to set depth records are really pushing the limit since water conditions can change, body temp considerations are a big thing for long dives, and you really don't want to mess up your dive tables and decompression stops.

TLDR: the deep ocean is not an environment for people, but our hubris and desire to explore knows no bounds.

BaconAndBullets fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 24, 2023

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Tiny Timbs posted:

If Wagner really does run off to form Outer Heaven I’m gonna poo poo

Yeah I don't think Prigozhin's got what it takes to become Slavic Snake.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

BaconAndBullets posted:

TLDR: the deep ocean is not an environment for people, but our hubris and desire to explore knows no bounds.

The main thing that made it a "nope, nuh-uh, no, never, no way" thing were the two divers who went way, way deep, and ended up perishing for it; the first one died on their own, and the second one ended up dying trying to collect the first one's corpse.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Yeah I don't think Prigozhin's got what it takes to become Slavic Snake.

... Metal Blyat ....

A weapon with the ability to launch Stolichnaya from any place on the face of the earth - a vodka equipped, walking battle tracksuit.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

SquirrelyPSU posted:

At 8PM EST, here's the simplest recap:

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1672392270740439040

Ukraine thread has deeper info, but impossible to get actual truth in a bullshit fountain directly hooked up to a sewer of lies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It's just a bill, but lmao

https://www.armed-services.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/fy2024_ndaa_executive_summary.pdf

Big Situp Lobby is in the senate. Alternately, someone's fail-son got mad at the sprint-drag-carry or something.