Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Professor Beetus posted:

Right, but imo it's immoral to stop tipping at restaurants as some sort of statement because there is a legal carve out by which they are paid less than minimum wage. That carve out should be eliminated and it is I will happily stop tipping them too. Quarterly pest control guy? gently caress off with that poo poo.

One exception: I will always tip my stylist, because I want the person I trust with making me look good to be very happy with my patronage.

The business still has to pay them minimum wage, but they can use the tips to supplement the difference. If they end up only making $5.25/hour on a shift, then the business has to cover the remaining $2 per hour.

That gets into an entirely different problem with the tipped minimum wage where sometimes people don't know their rights/keep track of their hours/don't want to make a fuss over a few bucks and employers get away with paying them less.

Oracle posted:

Yup. A stylist is an artist and probably the person most responsible for how you're initially physically perceived (after yourself), and a good one is hard to find.

This is sort of prisoner's dilema-ing the situation and the same reason other people are tipping everywhere too.

"I would tip X because I need to get the good service" is the same thought process everyone else applies to tipping. So, it seems kind of weird to think that tipping is immoral, but also say that you would tip X because they are an artist and you need to ensure good service and reward their craftsmanship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't know what it's like now but when I was waiting tables 20 years ago the biggest obstacle to getting rid of tips would've been the waiters. I don't think I ever made less than $20 an hour waiting unless I was intentionally dodging tables.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

I think it's regional and also depends on your local cost of living. 20% has been standard in NYC for as long as I can remember

State/County/City tax in California generally comes out to a hair under 10%, so "double the tax, round up to the nearest dollar" makes the mental math to 20% pretty easy.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The business still has to pay them minimum wage, but they can use the tips to supplement the difference. If they end up only making $5.25/hour on a shift, then the business has to cover the remaining $2 per hour.

That gets into an entirely different problem with the tipped minimum wage where sometimes people don't know their rights/keep track of their hours/don't want to make a fuss over a few bucks and employers get away with paying them less.

This is sort of prisoner's dilema-ing the situation and the same reason other people are tipping everywhere too.

"I would tip X because I need to get the good service" is the same thought process everyone else applies to tipping. So, it seems kind of weird to think that tipping is immoral, but also say that you would tip X because they are an artist and you need to ensure good service and reward their craftsmanship.

Tipping isn't immoral, it should be unnecessary. Or actually optional. I am a generous guy and if someone is top notch, goes above and beyond, or just does an exceptional job, I'm happy to overpay or tip. Tipping for people out of obligation because their business won't pay them a living wage is extortion and bad for everyone except for the business. And wrt to your first paragraph, the point is that the employer gets to get out of paying s living wage, tips should be optional and on top of that. Whether or not the employee is getting paid minimum wage is irrelevant because the business gets out of paying minimum wage. Rendering tips necessary for the employee to make more than minimum wage. It's hosed up to force servers into the song and dance to make more than the unlivable, outdated minimum wage.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Tayter Swift posted:

State/County/City tax in California generally comes out to a hair under 10%, so "double the tax, round up to the nearest dollar" makes the mental math to 20% pretty easy.

In Texas it was like 8.##% so double heuristic would get you to 16% which was slightly above what everyone thought was standard. If someone did stellar they got 20. Growing up in 80’s - 90’s at least.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The annual Faith and Freedom conference is live right now and is already going completely off the rails.

- Chris Christie is getting booed off stage and can't finish his speech.

Christie is trying to brag about defunding Planned Parenthood as Governor of NJ and how successful he was at promoting traditional values in a blue state, but keeps getting shouted down.

Someone in the crowd yells, "WE LOVE TRUMP!"

Christie says, "You can love him all you want. But, when he says [long list of many mean things he said about people he hired and then fires] it makes our country lesser."

Christie gives up and yells "I guarantee you one thing: I made every person in the room think. Just listen to what I said and think about it — you can’t deny the truth.” to cameras on his way out the door.

- A black preacher came out and is saying "In the month of June, God hates pride."

Other hits from the preacher: "Blacks have become the cheap prostitutes of the Democratic Party. They screw us, they barely pay us, and we come back for more. Black folks are lining up for extermination of their race. The black fertility rate is way down and abortion is up. The Dobbs decision was the fetal emancipation proclamation."

- Lots of people extremely upset at the Dodgers baseball team. Mike Pence says that anti-Catholic bigotry is on the rise and has no place in America.

I missed this one, but apparently the Dodgers allowed a drag group called "The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence" that dresses as nuns in S&M gear to perform at their pride night.

- Lots of hemming and hawwing about what everyone's exact position on abortion should be.

Eventually Ralph Reed says that all Republican candidates can at least agree on a national bill banning abortion after 15 weeks and everyone can individually decide their own position if they want to ban it earlier than 15 weeks.

- Josh Hawley opening his speech at the religious convention with... a rant about Juneteenth and complaining that he was smeared to stop him from running for President?

Says Juneteenth is the tip of the spear of cultural Marxism.

"Democrats are the priests of wokery in a successor religion, a religion of transgenderism, critical race theory, and open borders multiculturalism."

Hawley almost done his speech with 0 mention of religion at all.

"Big pharma is making millions, if not billions of dollars, on chemical abortion drugs. Those same companies are making money hand over fist, doing what? Making drugs that sterilize our children."

In the very last line of his speech, Hawley finally mentions religion/Christianity: "There is no future for the Republican Party without Christians. The time is now for Christians to rise and recover the ancient faith that made us who we are."

- Lindsey Graham says Democrats are pushing the Women's Health Act, but it should be called "the China abortion bill."

Says it would "bring American abortion law in line with China and North Korea."

- Ron DeSantis' entire speech is about the "ideology of transgenderism"

He promises that as President nobody will ever be forced to say that a man can get pregnant.

Hails his fight against transgenderism in Florida.

Ignores the question when asked about his bill banning gender-affirming care for minors getting struck down yesterday (lol).

- The Lt. Governor of North Carolina just got up on stage and endorsed Trump instead of giving his full speech.

Says that African-Americans need to support Trump because he will bring Christian values back to America. Democrats are obsessed with atheism and ungodly things.

https://twitter.com/alexbruesewitz/status/1672267531741003777

- All the candidates pledged to use federal law to stop public schools from "pushing transgenderism" and "legalizing prayer" in America.

None of them actually provided any explanation for how, though.

Edit: Christie left the conference to go get interviewed by CNN about getting booed off the stage instead of staying for the rest of the event.

https://twitter.com/OmarJimenez/status/1672290096492494848

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 23, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I missed this one, but apparently the Dodgers allowed a drag group called "The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence" that dresses as nuns in S&M gear to perform at their pride night.

There's a bit more to it than that. The Sisters are a group that's been active in the LA queer scene for decades, so the Dodgers invited them to pride night and made them guests of honor. Marco Rubio and the religious right got wind of this and called them anti-Christian, so the Dodgers turned around and disinvited them. This pissed off everyone who wasn't Marco Rubio and the religious right, so they turned around again and re-invited them, and also decided to hold a pro-Christian event on a different day, because Dodgers management didn't look enough like craven trend-chasers yet

https://defector.com/finally-a-night-where-its-safe-to-be-christian-at-the-ballpark

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 23, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mellow Seas posted:

I mean, that matches my intuitive sense. I don't know how it's actually shaken out in testing data, though.

You could maybe look at restricting AVs to more well-maintained roads with higher design standards - state roads, high-volume local roads, etc - to prevent the need to deal with unusual or unpredictable situations. (And of course, if you were able to eliminate human drivers the cars could perform even better with a networked "consciousness.")

But even if the technological problem were solved I just can't see people getting on board after Tesla ruined the tech's reputation overnight.

I am imaging the creation of an autonomous taxi network, granted, over a long period of time, because people like their personal cars. But make it cheaper enough as an alternative to owning and people will move over.

I don't think that a fleet of autonomous vehicles would be directly comparable to Uber or Lyft at all. Just because the human drivers get paid lovely doesn't mean that they don't represent a massive expensive for a passenger. The reimbursement rate for car travel set by the DOE is 58 cents per mile - an uber costs $1-$2 per mile, depending on the demand, so if you buy a car for $20,000 you've said money over taking rideshares by the time you hit 20 or 30,000 miles, add in insurance and you maybe get up to 50,000. If the price of taking a rideshare was more comparable to the cost of driving your own car, but without the need for storage, maintenance or insurance, far more people would use such a service than want to get in Chuck's Honda Odyssey to pay three times what it would take them to drive somewhere.

It may cause an increase in VMT to have an autonomous fleet go to a parking facility when not in use, or to have the logistics work out where one has to drive a decent distance between trips. But how does that compare to the land use impacts of parking? What if the autonomous cars tended to be lighter and more efficient than the personal cars they replaced? What if, over the long term, reduced demand for parking led to denser development and reduced the length of trips?

Anyway, it is all "pipe dream" stuff, like you say, because of the sheer amount of social engineering this would all take. But I think it would be a good long term goal to set for 50, 100 years from now and work towards.

I don't want to discount transit at all. Unlike my imaginary automated electric vehicle fleet it can help us right now. Any place where transit can be useful we should be building an absolute fuckton of it - and it should be free to use. Fares don't come close to covering actual costs and are used to discourage too much ridership, which is the exact opposite of what we should be trying to do with our busses, subways and light rail right now.

It doesn't matter how much Ubers cost compared to personal car ownership if they don't solve any of the problems associated with car usage. In a discussion of the impacts of car usage and car travel as a whole, who owns the cars doesn't really matter unless it represents a change in those overall impacts. And I think you're overestimating how much impact rideshare networks would actually have. Which is a common problem with rideshare services, actually. Early studies relying on mathematical modeling suggested they would improve the efficiency of the road network, but later studies that looked at real-world usage have showed completely negative impacts.

For example, an autonomous vehicle isn't going to go to a "parking facility" between trips, only during low-demand hours or when it's out of service for maintenance. During high-demand hours, it's going to go to high-demand areas, and either park near a high-traffic area to wait for fares or drive in circles around that high-traffic area. In other words, it's going to continue to take up space. That's where a lot of the empty vehicle-miles come from in rideshare services: driving from a dropoff location back to a high-demand location that's likely to offer high fares. The total number of cars may be somewhat reduced since there's no need to maintain a strict one-car-per-family ratio, but it's absolute peanuts compared to the massive reductions you'd see in public transit where there doesn't necessarily need to be a car involved at all. On top of that, if rideshare vehicles become a primary mode of transit, then there needs to be plenty of room for them to pick up and drop off passengers; rather than eliminating parking lots, it would probably just reshape them for higher throughput. And even when the bars are closed and most of the rideshare vehicles are leaving the streets, they still have to park somewhere. Even if it's a "parking facility", it still counts as land use for parking.

Rather than price, I think the bigger defining factor in transport choice is convenience. Walking is free, biking is cheap, and my car insurance alone costs more per month than an unlimited monthly transit pass in every city I've ever lived in. People don't drive for cost reasons - they drive because hopping in your car whenever you want and driving off whereever you want is easier than dealing with transit schedules and routes, and most people prefer having their own personal commuting space rather than sharing their commute with others. And that's another field in which autonomous vehicles will make things worse, because the biggest day-to-day inconvenience in driving is dealing with traffic. If totally unattended autonomous vehicles are on the road in rideshare networks, then autonomous vehicles are also going to be available for private ownership, almost completely eliminating the biggest inconvenience of private car ownership (needing to deal with traffic yourself). That means that rideshare networks, which already cannibalize other modes of transit, would primarily gain in convenience relative to public transit (where you have to deal with other passengers even if the driver is automated away) rather than against driving.

What if the autonomous cars are lighter and more efficient than private cars? Well, they'd still be massively less efficient than walking, biking, or taking public transit. That's ultimately the core problem with bringing electric cars or autonomous cars into a discussion about the impacts of car usage: even if they're more efficient and have less negative impacts than your dad's Chevy, they're still far less efficient than public transit and have far greater negative impacts. It's a massive investment of resources for relatively minor gains, all so Americans can comfortably travel around in totally isolated personal people pods instead of sharing a space with strangers. It really is necessary for us to move away from car usage as much as possible, but it's a very hard ask precisely because cars are so much more pleasant and convenient if you ignore all the massive externalities involved in them. It's extremely attractive to imagine that it might be possible to reduce the externalities involved with cars to a point where we don't have to meaningfully change our lifestyles, and that's exactly why it's very important to scrutinize those ideas hard for any hint of wishful thinking.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

DeSantis actually got the crowd to briefly boo Trump when he claimed that Trump "supported woke Disney."

It's pretty hilarious that this religious conference and prayer vigil has the rowdiest and rudest political crowd I've ever seen.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

On the contrary, its not tipping to ensure good service, the good service is plain as the hair on my head. I like what they're doing, I want to ensure continued, steady service. I treat my stylists well and they tell me things, like how they 'fire' difficult clients (read: Karens) by never having openings or moving salons and not leaving forwarding information or just outright telling them they're quitting the business when they're just taking a month off or what have you. Good stylists tend to set their own hours and their own prices, even ones that work in salons and just rent a chair. Think of them more like independent contractors.

I could give a rat's rear end about 'good service' from waiters or what have you; so long as they bring me the right food in a reasonable time period (extenuating circumstances apply) we're good, you're getting 20%, I don't need my water glass filled every five minutes or napkins folded like roses or fake enthusiasm or hovering or whatever the hell else people are looking for out of someone doing a job that frankly rather sucks. One bad meal just means I had like cold fries with stuff I had to scrape off a burger that I didn't want on it. One bad haircut means I'm stuck looking like an idiot for six weeks or more or until I can find someone else to fix it and I'm faced with it every time I look in the mirror, or if they screw up a color badly enough can mean cutting most of it off and starting over because its literally falling out or breaking off.

I mean if you're the guy who runs a number 1 over his head every two weeks while bent over the bathroom sink you will likely not get it and that's fine, I don't get car guys who pay hundreds of dollars for detailing or custom chrome aftermarket whatever the hell, different strokes. But its not equivalent to 'here let me tip you so you can eat tonight because your boss/state law sucks and says you only have to be paid 2.19/hr'

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

This was a hypothetical we did in freshman year of college. Basically, given the assumed rate it saved lives versus the assumed cost of running the headlights all the time, was it worth it?

I have no idea if the number is still accurate and it’s been close to 20 years so I doubt it but it’ll always stick out in my mind that it worked out to $7M per life saved.

personally - and road safety is something I have worked on professionally - I think 12m is a reasonable line, so even if you're remembering correctly and there have been no discernable advancements in headlight cost effectiveness, sounds good to me

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Chris Christie is very mad that he got run out of the faith and freedom conference.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1672308294499831809

Ron DeSantis also claims that people were "defecating on the street" and rolling around in feces while openly doing fentanyl during his trip to San Francisco this week.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

It's not so much that workers don't know their rights, though that can be the case, but rather everyone knows if you ask your manager to actually make up the pay difference you'll mysteriously only get scheduled for the deadest of dead shifts day after day until you quit.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ron DeSantis also claims that people were "defecating on the street" and rolling around in feces while openly doing fentanyl during his trip to San Francisco this week.

We've all heard what he does to a chocolate pudding, this is Rhonda telling on himself

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Yeah, the Bay Area Yalie reunion was pretty nuts this year.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The defecating and public opioid use was apparently because of "woke." Not a specific "woke" thing, but the concept of woke directly intervening in the lives of the people of San Francisco.

quote:

Don’t tell me woke doesn’t affect people’s lives. I was just in San Francisco. I saw … people defecating on the sidewalk. I saw people using fentanyl. I saw people smoking crack.

quote:

People had no hope and no feeling. There were feces on the street and they just lay in them.

What I witnessed in San Francisco was shocking and saddening, yet unsurprising.

The failures of states like California are the direct result of a failed progressive, and woke, agenda.

I’m running for president because decline is a choice, success is attainable, and freedom is worth fighting for. We cannot allow our country to descend into a woketopia where freedoms are infringed and the truth is discarded.

Florida is proof that America can do better.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
When I'm elected president I'm enacting an Executive Order replacing all utterances of the word "woke" by republicans with "smurf."

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

The defecating and public opioid use was apparently because of "woke." Not a specific "woke" thing, but the concept of woke directly intervening in the lives of the people of San Francisco.

What is this "proof" that Florida is an example of a better America? California out performs Florida on things like life expectancy and overdoses per capita.

Other than just size and the fact that it's a blue state I think one reason it's so easy for the GOP to target California is that it's so far away from red states and few of these people have any direct experience being in California.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mustang posted:

What is this "proof" that Florida is an example of a better America? California out performs Florida on things like life expectancy and overdoses per capita.

Other than just size and the fact that it's a blue state I think one reason it's so easy for the GOP to target California is that it's so far away from red states and few of these people have any direct experience being in California.

California is a meme to these people, not a place. Hippies and liberals and hollywood and the gays.

Tayter Swift posted:

When I'm elected president I'm enacting an Executive Order replacing all utterances of the word "woke" by republicans with "smurf."

quote:

You start out in 1954 by saying, “friend of the family, friend of the family, friend of the family.” By 1968 you can’t say “friend of the family”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced busing, states’ rights, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “friend of the family, friend of the family.”

https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/exclusive-lee-atwaters-infamous-1981-interview-southern-strategy/

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mustang posted:

What is this "proof" that Florida is an example of a better America?

Lies and telling people what they want to hear.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Main Paineframe posted:

It doesn't matter how much Ubers cost compared to personal car ownership if they don't solve any of the problems associated with car usage.

Rather than price, I think the bigger defining factor in transport choice is convenience.
You can't discount cost reasons, especially time cost (which translates directly into dollars). It would take me hours to go visit my friends in a nearby city that takes 25 minutes to drive to.

I had a professor in engineering school who said the number one predictor of rider satisfaction is frequency and reliability of trains/busses. His favorite city was Zurich - busses there come every seven minutes, and if it's been like 7 minutes and 20 seconds, everybody looks at their fancy watches and says "what the gently caress." Cost and convenience go hand in hand with transportation.

Main Paineframe posted:

And that's another field in which autonomous vehicles will make things worse ... almost completely eliminating the biggest inconvenience of private car ownership (needing to deal with traffic yourself). That means that rideshare networks, which already cannibalize other modes of transit, would primarily gain in convenience relative to public transit (where you have to deal with other passengers even if the driver is automated away) rather than against driving.
I think it would be a really good idea to not allow rideshares in a place that is properly served by transit, or to only allow them after operational hours, or to institute gigantic surcharges, to minimize this. "Eliminate cars in the US" is not a goal I see as achievable but "eliminate cars in urban centers" is, and I think that should be done no matter who is driving or owning cars. Streets are supposed to be for people, after all. (But again, you are dealing with the American public, and if you tell somebody that they have to wait for a bus or ride their bike when the guy ten miles away can get a robo-ride they will get pissy, so actually implementing these kinds of ideas would require dictatorial power. [Like all good policies in this country. :v:])

In this case, though, I'm talking about the advantages of autonomous systems in places that cannot and will never be served by transit. Which is a whole lot of places in the US that we would rather not abandon. And I don't think we're exclusively talking about the rural population here, there are a ton of suburban and exurban areas that will never be realistically served due to their sprawl. So at that point, it's not about how good AVs are compared to urban alternatives, it's about how good they are, safety-wise and cost-wise, compared to human drivers, in situations where there is no transit option - which, no matter what, is going to include the vast, vast majority of the geographic area of the country and a lot of places people actually live and work.

(Obviously we also really need to stop building sprawl, yesterday.)

In the absence of all the regulation I'm talking about adding, though, I agree that AVs would quickly just replace regular cars and work pretty much the same way from an economic or transportation engineering POV. That wouldn't make things much better (except maybe for safety), and could possibly make them worse. Given that we're more likely to have them under-regulated than over-regulated due to our current political tendencies I understand why you are agin'it.

Main Paineframe posted:

It's extremely attractive to imagine that it might be possible to reduce the externalities involved with cars to a point where we don't have to meaningfully change our lifestyles, and that's exactly why it's very important to scrutinize those ideas hard for any hint of wishful thinking.
I don't want you to think that I am engaging in some kind of "wishful thinking" that I can keep getting around with cars, and I really don't want you to think that my belief in AVs having potential for usefulness represents a "pro-car" POV. I would ban the gently caress out of cars in Manhattan or San Francisco without hesitation. What's attractive to me isn't cars, it's millions and millions of less densely developed residential and commercial properties remaining useful, while providing an avenue to eventually serve those areas with a rideshare network that functions more like on-demand transit than as your own personal shuttle/albatross. (Like I said - 50 or 100 years!!!)

If we want to deal with the things we can deal with now, yeah, that means building transit. And the main antidote for the kind of "I could never give up my freedom" thinking like you are describing is to spend any amount of time living in a place where you truly don't need a car (where taking transit doesn't double the duration of trips or worse.) Most people realize in short order how much better your life is without driving, and that however convenient owning a car is, it's also extremely inconvenient in a lot of ways. (Especially if you like getting intoxicated...) I would guess that a majority of people who want to live without owning a car in the US currently cannot (raises hand), and also cannot afford to move to a place where that would be possible. And yes, that's something we fix largely with transit, and dense housing development, not AVs.

Of course we also have a gigantic amount of people in this country who are incredibly distrustful of strangers and obsessed with their own privacy and autonomy so good luck getting mf'ers out of their F150s, given the amount of individual rights we have in this country. If you think it's hard to get guns from people...

- A black preacher came out and is saying "In the month of June, God hates pride."
I kind of always thought God hated pride! Or at least vainglory.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I feel like I’m in the minority but I’m actually loving terrified of driving because of other people making irrational decisions. I would 100% feel safer and more comfortable if every car was autonomous.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

Let’s correlate this with Smart Phone use.

As a daily cyclist I observe drivers looking at their phones and not the road.

I drive a motorcycle every day on I30. If my experience is anything, about 50% of people are on their phones. And I don't mean glancing, that's almost everyone, full on their phones. A surprising number are smoking weed.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Boris Galerkin posted:

I feel like I’m in the minority but I’m actually loving terrified of driving because of other people making irrational decisions. I would 100% feel safer and more comfortable if every car was autonomous.

If every car were it would work a lot better than the mix we’re going to have once autonomous cars start actually being on the road in numbers. When every car is behaving rationally (and when all the cars can share their information with each other) it works a lot better than when people are doing god knows what around autonomous cars.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I have lived in the same place for roughly 30 years and I've been driving for at least half that, and I feel more unsafe in my car now than at any point in the past. Every time I leave the house I see people doing psycho poo poo in their cars, speeding, swerving, passing on the right, passing on residential streets, people treating four lane roads as freeways. And I can't really tell if it's actually that much worse or if I've just gotten curmudgeonly as I've aged.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
yeah smurf that dude in particular

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

If every car were it would work a lot better than the mix we’re going to have once autonomous cars start actually being on the road in numbers. When every car is behaving rationally (and when all the cars can share their information with each other) it works a lot better than when people are doing god knows what around autonomous cars.

I don’t feel safe driving next to people right now. Like driving and merging onto the highway for a bit and getting off takes a huge loving toll on my mental well-being because of every loving rear end in a top hat who doesn’t drive properly, which is most people. I 100% would feel safer knowing the car next to me wasn’t driven by a human. Today.

E: People always say things like “well the self driving cars we have today would just swerve right into you because of a faulty or non-existent sensor” well guess loving what, HUMANS do this today too.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 23, 2023

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I would assume that new drivers are not trained very well anymore compared to the 80's when I learned. :corsair:

Although I still occasionally see "Driver in Training" vehicles when someone is getting private training.

Also, people absolutely do not give a crap anymore it's all "gently caress you, This is MY ROAD" 100% of the time.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Keyser_Soze posted:

I would assume that new drivers are not trained very well anymore compared to the 80's when I learned. :corsair:

Although I still occasionally see "Driver in Training" vehicles when someone is getting private training.

Also, people absolutely do not give a crap anymore it's all "gently caress you, This is MY ROAD" 100% of the time.

Some people put those stickers on their cars so that people get them room on the road.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I'm 52. When I first learned what tipping was in the 70's, 10% was standard and 15% was for exceptional service. During Reagan that went up to 15/20. My daughter was born in 2002 and when I first started taking her out to eat I taught her how to calculate 15%. Now I tip 20-30% on the regular because I can afford it and I know lots of people still stiff waitstaff and minimum wage sucks. Also I tip in cash as much as possible.

I visited Australia in 2010 and the bellhop literally ran to grab my luggage and delivered it to the room before I got there. When I tried to tip him he and the others told me that Aus doesn't do that, they're paid enough to live and the job is good enough that it's worth it to work hard so they don't lose it. And whether or not that's universal down there I think they enjoyed rubbing it in to the Americans that came through.

I've been to restaurants that have built tipping in to the bill, they list it separate so that you see it itemized like taxes. I like that and I do think that's the wave of the future until we have major capital reforms.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

haveblue posted:

There's a bit more to it than that. The Sisters are a group that's been active in the LA queer scene for decades, so the Dodgers invited them to pride night and made them guests of honor. Marco Rubio and the religious right got wind of this and called them anti-Christian, so the Dodgers turned around and disinvited them. This pissed off everyone who wasn't Marco Rubio and the religious right, so they turned around again and re-invited them, and also decided to hold a pro-Christian event on a different day, because Dodgers management didn't look enough like craven trend-chasers yet

https://defector.com/finally-a-night-where-its-safe-to-be-christian-at-the-ballpark

It's funny watching corporate pinkwashing change like the wind at any moment, which ends up pissing off everyone & pleasing nobody.

Hence the Chicago gay bars boycotting Bud Light & other LGBTQ activists boycotting Target even as the rightwing continues their boycotts of each.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

It's funny watching corporate pinkwashing change like the wind at any moment, which ends up pissing off everyone & pleasing nobody.

Hence the Chicago gay bars boycotting Bud Light & other LGBTQ activists boycotting Target even as the rightwing continues their boycotts of each.

And whatever concessions you make to the right-wing are never enough...

https://twitter.com/AriDrennen/status/1672357809311170561?s=20

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

California is a meme to these people, not a place. Hippies and liberals and hollywood and the gays.

Also Pelosi’s district is in San Francisco, thus it needs to be the failure capital of the world.

“San Francisco is awash in feces” has been a conservative meme for some time so DeSantis was never going to say he didn’t see any. If he didn’t mention the mountains of human waste, his audience would be disappointed. They know what they want to hear, and what they want is mountains of feces and for those mountains to get taller with each telling. Or in this case, I guess, people literally rolling in it.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Now workers are getting involved, too.

quote:

Starbucks union calls strike over Pride displays

3,500 workers will participate in the walkout over the next week, starting with the Seattle location

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS |
PUBLISHED: June 23, 2023 at 3:00 p.m. | UPDATED: June 23, 2023 at 3:01 p.m.

Workers at 150 Starbucks locations will strike in the coming week over what their union says is a clash over decor supporting LGBTQ+ causes, but the company denies it’s banned any such displays and accused the union of using misinformation as a tactic in labor talks.

Starbucks Workers United said in a tweet Friday that 3,500 workers will be on strike over the next week, starting with the flagship location in Seattle.

The union has tried to establish a foothold at Starbucks for some time and at least 358 Starbucks stores have petitioned the National Labor Relations Board to hold union elections. A Starbucks in Buffalo, New York, became the first to unionize early last year.

But those efforts have slowed in recent months with pushback from some workers who have resisted organization efforts. Starbucks on Friday said Workers United is using misinformation about its support for LGBTQ+ causes as part of ongoing contract negotiations.

“Workers United continues to spread false information about our benefits, policies and negotiation efforts—a tactic used to seemingly divide our partners and deflect from their failure to respond to bargaining sessions for more than 200 stores,” Starbucks said in a written statement.

Starbucks, based in Seattle, said last week that there had been no change to any policy on the matter and that its support for LGBTQ+ causes is “unwavering.” The company has been outspoken in its support for LGBTQ+ employees for decades. It extended full health benefits to same-sex partners in 1988 and added health coverage for gender reassignment surgery in 2013.

Starbucks Corp. is also currently selling Pride-themed tumblers in its stores designed by Toronto artist Tim Singleton, who is gay.

Workers United says that store managers around the country have curtailed or removed displays during a monthlong celebration of LGBTQ+ people. In some cases, the union said, managers told workers that Pride displays were a safety concern, citing recent incidents at Target where some angry customers tipped over merchandise and confronted workers.

Starbucks said recent anti-LGBTQ+ social media campaigns against brands like Disney, Target and Bud Light in some parts of the country have not changed its stance.

Brands like Chick-fil-A, which closes on Sundays for a day of “rest and worship,” and Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, have also been targeted online by anti-LGBTQ+ groups and individuals.

Several U.S. retail brands have faced backlash from conservatives over the display of LGBTQ+ merchandise, as well as criticism from gay rights groups for insufficient support for the community after the companies relented under pressure from conservatives.

Anheuser-Busch InBev’s efforts to market to the transgender community have led to a steep drop in sales of its Bud Light beer in recent weeks.

There is something... Shakespearean? about the back-n-forth, or maybe Twainian.

eta: I guess it's just political polarization writ large, but it's also the downside of idpol inasmuch as it'll likely lead to wholesale self-censoring of corporate sympathies or activism out of worries over the bottom line.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 23, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

poo poo is potentially popping off in Russia. Allegedly the Russian military attempted to kill the leader of the Wagner Group, which is the very large PMC that is essentially a wing of Russia itself. It appears that they failed, but there is concern that this leader is/was attempting a coup.

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1672368861763567616?s=20

There are a lot of photos circulating online allegedly showing that the military is actively blocking off streets in Moscow

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

FlamingLiberal posted:

poo poo is potentially popping off in Russia. Allegedly the Russian military attempted to kill the leader of the Wagner Group, which is the very large PMC that is essentially a wing of Russia itself. It appears that they failed, but there is concern that this leader is/was attempting a coup.

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1672368861763567616?s=20

There are a lot of photos circulating online allegedly showing that the military is actively blocking off streets in Moscow

I just checked my google news, and it seems there's a lot of finger pointing going on right now. I'm not sure how much (if any) of these stories are accurate.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's pretty clear that the RU military tried to attack this guy but he wasn't killed. That's about all we know, but it seems like the White House is concerned to some degree.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don’t feel safe driving next to people right now. Like driving and merging onto the highway for a bit and getting off takes a huge loving toll on my mental well-being because of every loving rear end in a top hat who doesn’t drive properly, which is most people. I 100% would feel safer knowing the car next to me wasn’t driven by a human. Today.

E: People always say things like “well the self driving cars we have today would just swerve right into you because of a faulty or non-existent sensor” well guess loving what, HUMANS do this today too.

I'd rather deal with a car being driven by a human than a car that was programmed to drive by a human. Humans have a nasty tendency of assuming that machines aren't subject to human bias, human mistakes, or human error - but that's dead wrong. The problem with automated cars isn't faulty sensors, it's the fact that they will certainly run into a particular combination of circumstances that the human programmers didn't think of when they were trying to anticipate every possible situation the car might end up in. And the carelessness of the modern tech industry means that there's quite a few of these kinds of situations - for example, "self-driving" Teslas struggle with things like traffic cones and have developed a particular reputation for plowing into stopped fire trucks.

Our dreams of automated cars tend to make a lot of other assumptions that don't necessarily hold up if we think about them more closely, too. For example, I've seen a couple of people mention that the automated cars would surely be networked and share information about their intentions and surroundings, increasing safety. But that's actually a very complex capability that no one has even started developing in their own cars yet, let alone creating a standard communication protocol for cars from different manufacturers to share info. Hell, we don't even have an underlying communication/networking standard suitable for it yet (existing Wi-Fi standards don't seem to quite be up to the task of networking hundreds of cars moving at 60+mph). The sensor fusion work that would be needed seems pretty gnarly too, especially for early-gen automated cars like Tesla that tried to brute-force their way into self-driving by feeding a ton of camera input to a neural network. People talk about it like it's an inevitability, but there's massive technical and organizational challenges to it, and they're the kind of challenges that manufacturers can't just throw a big pile of machine-learning at it and fake it till they make it. The need to ensure close cooperation between manufacturers is probably the toughest part of all, and I have a hard time seeing how it'd happen without government involvement.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

ryde posted:

Probably outing myself here but yeah its hard to feel like it hasn't gotten out of control. When I was growing up tipping was explicitly for jobs where you had a server. As in, someone that actually brought your food to you, refilled your drinks, etc. It wasn't expected you'd tip for your coffee, or a fast food meal, or any other random area. Nowadays literally every PoS terminal pops up a tipping section, even at loving Five Guys and Starbucks. Went to a street fair and every booth had their PoS configured to ask for a tip.

At this point I figure its only a matter of time before I start getting tipping screens at Safeway and Taco Bell.

In contrast, Japan is nice because there's no tipping culture. What you owe is on the bill.

We need to actually pay these people actual living wages and then take tipping culture out behind the shed.

Yes to all of this. If someone waits on you personally during the course of a 30-60 minute meal with you and a group, then they absolutely deserve a tip proportional to their service. Assuming that they didn't totally ignore you, got you refills on free beverages, and didn't upsell extra drinks/appetizers too much, then I usually went for 18-20%.

Many countries don't have a tipping culture, usually those that have a VAT, although that's now changing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Velocity Raptor posted:

I just checked my google news, and it seems there's a lot of finger pointing going on right now. I'm not sure how much (if any) of these stories are accurate.

Somewhat relevant is that Wagner Group reports directly to Putin and is full of neo-nazis.