Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Speaking of T Corp, it does seem like the T Corp soldiers were only in a few battles for the chapter. What’s the over/under that some future chapter’s going to have us mixing it up in District T?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I feel like the fact Don idolises Fixers (especially colors) and wants to be one would suggest she isn't already a really powerful Fixer secretly.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So, if you look at the map:

Ishmael's chapter is 100% going to involve water in some capacity. We're in K Corp's Nest.

There are two Districts that border K Corp and also the ocean in the map: U Corp's... and T Corp's.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I may be misremembering, but was all of the League of Nine stuff explicitly within T-Corp's nest, as opposed to their overall district? I was under the impression that most corps have extensive facilities outside of their actual nest--things like the T-Corp Child Labor Factories aren't inside the Nest.

I also imagine that T-Corp's nest is probably A-OK if you aren't dedicating yourself to making a doomed moral stand. Probably they could have sold out to T-Corp (or another corp) at basically any time and done well for themselves, but they chose not to, and the City is purpose-built to try and grind that kind of impulse out of humanity, because the cruelty is the entire point. That's capitalism for you!

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

LostRook posted:

It's been said that the process of becoming a sinner has made all of them less than what they were, so it doesn't seem incongruent there.

As for clashing with the Don Quixote source material it doesn't seem that way to me. Don Quixote is a criticism of chivalry, not power. The main delusion of this Don is about fixer's being virtuous which lines up with the original's take on chivalry.

It doesn't counter the original's chivalric themes, exactly, but it does go against the scale it operates at. Don Quixote is the story of one chucklefuck who owns land who decides to wander around the countryside with his buddy. Don being a former Color would be like the novel Don Quixote being a general in the Spanish army while he does all of that. It gives his fantasy self enough official recognition and power that the vibes of the whole thing get weird.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Lord_Magmar posted:

I feel like the fact Don idolises Fixers (especially colors) and wants to be one would suggest she isn't already a really powerful Fixer secretly.

hell she buys fixer related merch and wanted Heathcliff to cosplay with her at some nerdy fixercon. if you would single out anyone for this type of thing Ryoshu has been shown to be an insane hardass and one of the most skilled/combat proficient sinners, and even she gets cowed when a real color steps in

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

spicy take: maybe Charon was a color fixer in some timeline or other

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
i mean even Garnet was so that's not very spicy. I could definitely see us getting some souped up limited edition Color IDs sometime down the line

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Lurks With Wolves posted:

It doesn't counter the original's chivalric themes, exactly, but it does go against the scale it operates at. Don Quixote is the story of one chucklefuck who owns land who decides to wander around the countryside with his buddy. Don being a former Color would be like the novel Don Quixote being a general in the Spanish army while he does all of that. It gives his fantasy self enough official recognition and power that the vibes of the whole thing get weird.

In Demian Sinclair lies about stealing apples which lets Kromer blackmail him into being an errand boy. A certain degree of vibe change seems expected.

Don is delusional, she doesn't idolize fixers she idolizes an ideal of fixers completely out of touch with reality, which reflects back on her not seeing herself as a fixer despite demonstrably being one.

Junpei posted:

So, if you look at the map:

Ishmael's chapter is 100% going to involve water in some capacity. We're in K Corp's Nest.

There are two Districts that border K Corp and also the ocean in the map: U Corp's... and T Corp's.

Additionally, if the introduction=chapter order theory is correct, after Ishmael is Heathcliff. That would make sense for the most Victorian of Corps.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Everyone gets certain colors that we saw in TGS so Yi Sang would be Grey (noun), Faust would be Pink, Don is Yellow, Ryoshu is Scarlet, Meursault is Blue, Hong Lu is Cyan, Heathcliff is Purple, Ishmael is Orange, Rodion is Burgundy, Sinclair is Green, Outis is Olive and Gregor is Brown, if they were assigned colors.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

LostRook posted:

In Demian Sinclair lies about stealing apples which lets Kromer blackmail him into being an errand boy. A certain degree of vibe change seems expected.

Don is delusional, she doesn't idolize fixers she idolizes an ideal of fixers completely out of touch with reality, which reflects back on her not seeing herself as a fixer despite demonstrably being one.

Additionally, if the introduction=chapter order theory is correct, after Ishmael is Heathcliff. That would make sense for the most Victorian of Corps.

I'm pretty sure none of the Sinners are licensed Fixers, Limbus Company isn't a Fixer Office it's something else. We are not, in fact, Fixers. Even if we're doing jobs like Fixers would. Since a Fixer is a specific job.

Don idolizes the ideal of Fixers and the Fixers themselves (especially colours, she literally buys their merchanidse) it's more or less the same thing in her mind. But even if she's a Fixer now (which she isn't, because that's a specific job with a specific license) she wasn't one beforehand and certainly wasn't a high up one. Which is the discussion at hand.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Ishmael was a Fixer when she was on a boat, Ryoshu says as much when they discuss The Contract

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Junpei posted:

Ishmael was a Fixer when she was on a boat, Ryoshu says as much when they discuss The Contract

Hmmmm, is she still a licensed fixer though, or did she give that up to join Limbus? I honestly didn't catch that moment as it was.

Although I do recall now that Ishmael was hopping from Fixer Office to Fixer Office across the City whilst searching for whoever she was searching for until she joined Limbus. But I'm still pretty sure Limbus Company isn't a Fixer Office and so actual Fixer status is individual (and Don doesn't come across as someone who was ever licensed to be that which she idolised).

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 22, 2023

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'm pretty sure there was someone besides Ishmael who was also a Fixer previously. Also that while the Sinners are not "Fixers" per se they either had the same age requirement or had to be registered or something. I'm sure of it.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

Hmmmm, is she still a licensed fixer though, or did she give that up to join Limbus? I honestly didn't catch that moment as it was.

Although I do recall now that Ishmael was hopping from Fixer Office to Fixer Office across the City whilst searching for whoever she was searching for until she joined Limbus. But I'm still pretty sure Limbus Company isn't a Fixer Office and so actual Fixer status is individual (and Don doesn't come across as someone who was ever licensed to be that which she idolised).

Ishmael and Don are the only Sinners with a Fixer Identification Number (FID). Meaning they were registered fixers, and presumably could be again if Limbus were the sort of thing that could be left.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Lunatic 0verlord posted:

The only reasons I can think of is that T Corp. is either run by sadistic assholes who get kicks out of making everyone in their Nest miserable for the Evulz, OR that the misery of those in their Nest is part of a deal with ANOTHER Wing whose Singularity is fueled by misery and crushed hopes...
And I swear that if it turns out to be the latter and the Wing they're making a deal with turns out to be N Corp....well...I would say they're BOTH equally as hosed up and in need of being clipped.

What is interesting is that the League of Nine immigrated to T Corp from S Corp and no matter what kind of troubles they got into, they never ever thought of going back and actually considered being returned to S Corp as basically fate worse then death. I'm really curious what sort of hellscape S corp is, if they considered T Corp to be that much better in comparison.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

Lurks With Wolves posted:

However, while Don Quixote is the main character, he's certainly not the most interesting one. There are several side stories that play out along the side that deconstruct chilvaric themes.

Also, U District... Underwater?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

God, I finally did it:

And I only lost 18% of my facility!

I can finally start Ruina, after all these years

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

Arzaac posted:

God, I finally did it:

Congrats.

StuffyEvil
Nov 8, 2022

Poison sandwich tea party starts now
(art from @luingear on Twitter)

The Lord of Hats posted:

I may be misremembering, but was all of the League of Nine stuff explicitly within T-Corp's nest, as opposed to their overall district? I was under the impression that most corps have extensive facilities outside of their actual nest--things like the T-Corp Child Labor Factories aren't inside the Nest.

I also imagine that T-Corp's nest is probably A-OK if you aren't dedicating yourself to making a doomed moral stand. Probably they could have sold out to T-Corp (or another corp) at basically any time and done well for themselves, but they chose not to, and the City is purpose-built to try and grind that kind of impulse out of humanity, because the cruelty is the entire point. That's capitalism for you!

My impression was that it was all within T-Corp's Nest as Wings don't really interfere too much with the Backstreets, ranging from ignoring it to cooperation (read: exploitation), so their facilities should be within the Nest.

As such, considering the significant presence of T Corp agents and the League of Nine talking about how they are refugees is another point for them being in the Nest.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Arzaac posted:

God, I finally did it:

Any d49 you walk away from is a good one. Congratulations.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1672127059861319680

000 K Corp. Class 3 Excision Staff Hong Lu.

00 Lobotomy E.G.O::Red Sheet-Sinclair.

I expect neither will be that hot, Hong Lu's only got two hits on both his S2 and S3. At least his CG is super fuckin' rad.

We've still got a K Corp Grunt ID and the super Class 3 dudes ID to go.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
The chapter 4 dungeon boss also got updated with story log too.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

GilliamYaeger posted:

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1672127059861319680

000 K Corp. Class 3 Excision Staff Hong Lu.

00 Lobotomy E.G.O::Red Sheet-Sinclair.

I expect neither will be that hot, Hong Lu's only got two hits on both his S2 and S3. At least his CG is super fuckin' rad.

We've still got a K Corp Grunt ID and the super Class 3 dudes ID to go.

Based on Sloshmael, Talisman Sinclair kit should be pretty basic, so he really doesn't seem very impressive. (Although, him having elaborate talisman mechanics and making it clear that it's only Ishmael who sucks, would be hilarious)

Hong Lu is 000 and PMs golden boy, so I trust he will have some monster abilities that will make people not care about the number of coins.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1672166208647614464

We've got some major changes to offence/defence levels to prevent massive gaps forming as levels go higher. Instead of a growth level, the offence/defence level will now be the unit's current level with a fixed value added or subtracted (ie a move will have +2 or -3 etc etc). Enemies will also swap to this system once the update rolls out.

Personally, I feel like the whole system is kind of superfluous and may as well not be in the game at all.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
It's there to make sure you're not able to clear content until you're at least one order of magnitude away from your enemy's levels, so you can't shirk on EXP coupons.

Without that there'd be no reason to ever level up since if you win all coin tosses you don't get hit ever so HP don't matter.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1672172507326214144

And the same ego on two slots of the same sinner?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
She looks so much like Iori in that second one, it's unreal.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

TeeQueue posted:

It's there to make sure you're not able to clear content until you're at least one order of magnitude away from your enemy's levels, so you can't shirk on EXP coupons.

Without that there'd be no reason to ever level up since if you win all coin tosses you don't get hit ever so HP don't matter.

It does mean units like LLCB Ishmael and other with low offensive growths don't get that hosed over in clashes, cause even if they have -3 on skills they don't get hosed with poo poo like 29 base offense.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

I made this in two minutes, and will not apologize. :colbert:

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

Wow, she's such a badass she can move an EGO up a grade just by opening her eyes. :cheeky:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yeah Don was really obviously never a powerful Fixer, and sure as hell wasn't anything close to a Color considering how easily Vergil can handle her

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Colors pretty much have celebrity status, and while you can argue that Roland was way more well-connected than is typical for a fixer, I got the impression that high-ranking fixers have at least some level of general awareness of each other--and Don in particular would have had a reputation for being nuts that would have spread. I don't think she's that much older than Sinclair, and she definitely wasn't prominent as a fixer.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I'm calling it now, Red Eyes Ryoshu takes up two slots and has a gimmick to getting the higher power version.

Also, In the higher power Red Eyes Open she unsheathes her sword the furthest she ever has.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
I suspect Red Eyes' "Open" variant is meant to represent a Sinner being able to connect with an E.G.O. on a deeper level. If there's anyone who I imagine would vibe with the "mother who will tear you the gently caress apart if you touch her baby" Abno, well...

Lunatic 0verlord
Apr 9, 2022

LostRook posted:

I noticed how Heathcliff was briefly silent during the first shot of Nest T's streets, like if he was holding back some anger.

Considering his overall English connections, I wouldn't be surprised if he's from District 15.

And ALSO considering his stance on rich people and the EXTREME difference between the way riches and commoners live in Nest T...

He may not be from the Nest, but I wouldn't be surprised if T Corp.'s cruelty extends to the Backstreets.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Probe 17 posted:

I suspect Red Eyes' "Open" variant is meant to represent a Sinner being able to connect with an E.G.O. on a deeper level. If there's anyone who I imagine would vibe with the "mother who will tear you the gently caress apart if you touch her baby" Abno, well...

My thought was that the normal Red Eyes version will have a passive that upgrades it to the other one under some specific circumstance.

We've got skills with variable options already, although it's only on Kurokumo Rodion (who can replace her counter skill with her tier III skill).

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Lord_Magmar posted:

My thought was that the normal Red Eyes version will have a passive that upgrades it to the other one under some specific circumstance.

We've got skills with variable options already, although it's only on Kurokumo Rodion (who can replace her counter skill with her tier III skill).

Not a bad theory! I just suspect between Ryoshu having literally no non-base E.G.O. aside from FMF and the fact that players who DO have it would get to double-dip HEs like that, they'll be two separate E.G.O. We'll see soon enough!

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

TeeQueue posted:

Wouldn't it be cleaner to just have it be a level check rather than all this nonsense about individual moves having different values?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

GilliamYaeger posted:

Wouldn't it be cleaner to just have it be a level check rather than all this nonsense about individual moves having different values?

No, because then there'd be basically no difference or variance between how things actually work, and the entire system would be extremely flat. This is basic game design 101 poo poo: You need to have texture and differentiation between functions that otherwise have very similar entry costs, especially if you're creating a scenario where characters have different specialties. It not only wouldn't be "easier" it wouldn't make sense AND it would make for worse gameplay. What you're describing is just Strictly Worse Limbus.

To elaborate: It's really important when designing to have different 'levers' you can mess with to modulate power, both during design and during play. By having these offense / defense levels the designers are able to get the benefits of variance and differentiation and ALSO get the ability to tamp a specific power (or entire character) in one direction or another, and then during gameplay it provides design space for buffs and debuffs that scale off of those values. If there was only just a level check, those modifiers would make less sense and be harder to implement and present cleanly, and you couldn't have that distinction between skills.

Ariamaki fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 24, 2023