Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Macron would be inappropriate guest at BRICS summit, says Russia

reuters posted:

MOSCOW, June 22 (Reuters) - French President Emmanuel Macron would be an inappropriate guest at the BRICS summit, the RIA news agency quoted Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov as saying on Thursday, criticising countries whose policies Russia considers hostile.

The BRICS group of emerging economies, comprising Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa, is due to hold a summit in Johannesburg in August.

Asked about Macron's reported desire to attend the summit, Ryabkov said: "Clearly, leaders of states that pursue such a hostile and unacceptable policy towards us, discussing with such emphasis and conviction that Russia should be isolated on the international stage, and share the common NATO line on inflicting a so-called strategic defeat on us - such a leader is an inappropriate BRICS guest.

"And we are not hiding this approach of ours, we have told our colleagues from South Africa. We expect that our point of view will be fully accepted," Ryabkov was quoted as saying.

South Africa is currently mulling its legal options if Russian President Vladimir Putin decides to attend the BRICS summit because the International Criminal Court (ICC) in March issued an arrest warrant for Putin over the Ukraine conflict.

South Africa is an ICC member and would theoretically be required to arrest him if he attends the BRICS summit.

The fact that Macron publicly asked to attend Brics is weird; Russia public poo poo on the idea is also weird.

I predict this is just the first half of the drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
even jupiter must humble himself before those who are greater

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

this map stinks, not only because different diagonal lines are a terrible way to convey information but also the place names

it's just wade giles, the major romanization system before pinyin replaced it in the 1960s. of course wade giles was by foreigners for foreigners, and pinyin the opposite and also pinyin owns

but a map of places in 1911 is probably using their official 1911 romanizations

Shaanxi being Shensi is weird until you read

quote:

In older texts, Shaanxi was written as Shensi, as early as 1748.[10] "Shensi" was recognized in the 1906 Chinese postal romanization. "Shensi" continued to be popular alongside "Shaanxi" until 1987 when the PRC officially banned pre-PRC romanizations.

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 19:52 on Jun 23, 2023

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

god drat i wish we banned pre-PRC romanizations hrere!

An Jung-geun
Sep 2, 2022

Shaanxi is a pre-PRC romanization

quote:

The transcriptions of 陝西 and its neighbouring province 山西 are troublesome for Beijing Mandarin-based transcriptions, which pronounces both as /ʂan ɕi/ only with a different tone (Shǎnxī and Shānxī). To avoid tone marks, the double "a" in "Shaan" (listen) was borrowed from the Gwoyeu Romatzyh scheme of 1928.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

the solution is clearly change the names from shaanxi and shanxi to shanxi and shandong

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Antonymous posted:

it's just wade giles, the major romanization system before pinyin replaced it in the 1960s. of course wade giles was by foreigners for foreigners, and pinyin the opposite and also pinyin owns

but a map of places in 1911 is probably using their official 1911 romanizations

Shaanxi being Shensi is weird until you read

nice try nerd but postal romanization is a separate, 3rd romanization system. it’s not wade giles

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

well whatever shaanxi is stpuid cause it looks like it should be 3 characters 沙安西 something like that but what do you do otherwise with the romanization

shǎnxi vs shānxi obv but who wants that

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

should just transliterate Mountain West and Shanxi

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Shaanxi? Sorry but I don't watch that Marvel stuff

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

our kansas and arkansas

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
No they should do how they do Xi'an, just add a apostrophe there. Shan'xi

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

that's a different kind of disambiguation

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Can we all agree that 东 is "dong" and that's hilarious?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

dragon king is funny in pinyin

maybe the funniest idk

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

ikanreed posted:

Can we all agree that 东 is "dong" and that's hilarious?

I think it's funny that the big financial district in Shanghai is called Puxi

An Jung-geun
Sep 2, 2022

Mantis42 posted:

I think it's funny that the big financial district in Shanghai is called Puxi

Puxi and Pudong

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

sounds like twitter inventing a gender inclusive word for pussy

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

big fan of this little guy

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Antonymous posted:

well whatever shaanxi is stpuid cause it looks like it should be 3 characters 沙安西 something like that but what do you do otherwise with the romanization

shǎnxi vs shānxi obv but who wants that

it’s easy

Pronunciation key for postal: a as in father. ai as in aye. e as in men or yet. ê as in earth. eh is short and abrupt. ei as in height. ew as in souce. eul as in hull. i as in pin. ia as in yard. iao is i and ao together. ie as in the Italian word seista. ieh same sound as ie, but shorter. ih as in chick. in as in pin or chin. ing as in king or sing. io as in yawn. ioh is short and abrupt. iu as in pew. o as in long. oh is short or abrupt. ow as in how, but longer. u as in too. ch as in church. chw as in chew. f as in fat. h as in hang. hs as in shin. hw as in what. j as in French jamais. k as in king. l as in lamp

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

in what english dialect standard american?

edit: the silly extra a in shaanxi isn't denoting phonetics its just saying 'he we have a second shanxi, which is called shaanxi'

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

I just think it's hosed up that shaanxi is spelled shaanxi while shanxi is spelled shanxi

if anything, shanxi should be spelled shaanxi and shaanxi should be spelled shanxi

just my two fen

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

they should have called the Wii U the Wiiii so we knew it was the second wii

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

lmao average IT cooliecel

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

has there ever been a good elected female head of state? just wondering

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Mantis42 posted:

Vigdís Finnbogadóttir, first female president in 1980 iceland was alright.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Mantis42 posted:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

put the pakistanis in their place ✔

put the sikhs in their place ✔

put the americans in their place ✔

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

quote:

In 1939, she founded the China Defense League, which raised funds and sought supplies primarily for the Chinese Communist controlled areas of northern China. In 1946, the League was renamed the China Welfare fund, continuing to seek funds and support for the Chinese Communists.[14]

During the Chinese Civil War, Soong permanently broke with her family and supported the Communists[citation needed]. In 1948, she became honorary chairwoman of the Revolutionary Committee of the Kuomintang, a left-wing splinter group of the KMT that claimed to be the legitimate heir of Sun's legacy.[15]

:china:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mantis42 posted:

https://twitter.com/KamalaHarrisDem/status/1663980069872648218?t=-lvLSGTm0ucZ6fnHGqP3AQ&s=19

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

How much power did she actually have tho? Otherwise pretty good answer

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Sikhs are cool and they got her rear end in the end.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

AnimeIsTrash posted:

put the pakistanis in their place ✔

put the americans in their place ✔

Didn't she sent her son to sterilize village men or he did it himself?

Also split the congress into two congress parties.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

How much power did she actually have tho? Otherwise pretty good answer

Sikhs are cool and they got her rear end in the end.

yeah mostly ceremonial position I think. Women of the world should still aspire to the example set by the first female president of the PRC though

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

yeah mostly ceremonial position I think. Women of the world should still aspire to the example set by the first female president of the PRC though

She probably had as much power as the president of Singapore.

And the president of India.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
https://twitter.com/DrewPavlou/status/1672096451805999105?s=20

I will be Xi's champion, who will stand with me

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

elected

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the only good head of state is a girl head of state

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

In 1953 Soong served on the committees preparing for elections to the new National People's Congress and the drafting of the 1954 constitution. Soong was elected a Shanghai deputy to the first NPC, which adopted the constitution at its first meeting in September 1954. She was elected one of 14 vice-chairpeople of the NPC's standing committee, chaired by Liu Shaoqi. In December of the same year, she was elected a vice-chairwoman of the CPPCC, which became a consultative body, and replaced Liu Shaoqi as chairperson of the Sino-Soviet Friendship Association.

quote:

She was re-elected to the post of Vice-chairperson of the PRC at the Third National People's Congress in 1965, and appeared frequently in the early 1960s on ceremonial occasions, often greeting important visitors from abroad.

being elected by the National People's Congress still counts :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Do you guys know Song Qingling (Soong Ching-ling) had a life companion. But because she was the widow of the father of the modern China, the Chinese government didn't let her remarry officially. So the man acted as her secretary for the rest of her life.