Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Once I played Keeper of the Forbidden Wilds, I learned everything I needed to know about sparing the Dahan. Similarly, once I played Heart of the Wildfire, I learned everything I needed to know about the island getting blighted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That's another thing I try to show new players with my play is that dahan and blight are resources. Spend them to get an edge.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fellis posted:

Once I played Keeper of the Forbidden Wilds, I learned everything I needed to know about sparing the Dahan. Similarly, once I played Heart of the Wildfire, I learned everything I needed to know about the island getting blighted.

Lightning's Swift Strike solo is a great lesson in the value of the Dahan, since you will use Harbingers of the Lightning approximately one million times per game and it specifically incentivizes you to send Dahan up against invaders, but you will probably never have a defense power to use on them.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I'd like to note that I intentionally avoided playing Lightning, Rampant, and Wilds. I don't think those should be in games with new players! (Unless they want to play one of those, in which case you should absolutely let them)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Photux posted:

Just got an update that Nature Incarnate will start shipping as soon as June 19! Very exciting; I haven't played much recently because I know my group is going to play nothing but Spirit Island for months after it comes out. Breath of Darkness is the spirit I'm most excited for; the abduction mechanic sounds really fun. My only problem with the expansion: I don't think I'll be able to fit everything into one box anymore!

wow that is so exciting!

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I also missed that Ocean's energy changes with player count and so did my brother, so he was stupid fat for no good reason.
Do you have any idea, how many months, it took me to realize this.

Fellis posted:

I like how both these lessons could be summed up as gently caress 'Em.

It really is thematically weird that the Dahan are so expendable, but this is inherently a game that encourages an instrumental approach to the invaders, because we are trying to win. Maybe this is just a particularly on the nose example of board games's colonialist roots showing?

Okay too real. Can't wait to see NI on store shelves!!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
some of the spirits view the dahan as expendable, others don't. I think that this will shift when the much anticipated Dahan Expansion finally is revealed.

Molrok
May 30, 2011

Sacrifice Victory is there for a reason, everything is expendable.

proceeds to cast "Cast down into the Briny Deep" with the threshold in a solo game

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, the spirits' goals are kind of perpendicular to the Dahan's existence for the most part. They aren't gods that need worship or anything like that, they're the embodiment of natural forces. Some of the spirits view the Dahan as useful tools, but many of them don't care one whit. Some of them might not even recognize the difference between Dahan and invaders.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Also it is possible during the course of the game that your spirit moves closer or further away from the Dahan, depending on what powers you pick. That's one of the things that I like about the game, that getting new cards represents your spirit adapting and growing from their interactions with the invaders/dahan.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
The important thing is the time scale I think. The Dahan are the humans of the land and, in time they could grow and alter the terrain on the level of Invaders, but it wouldn’t be immediate and scarring, and the spirits and land might evolve with them. The Invaders are showing up and clear-cutting, strip mining, and driving animals out of their habitats which blights the land and causes immediate response.

I think it also might be attitude, as there are cards that change Invaders to Dahan and vice versa. Like what is your disposition toward the land and living alongside the spirits?

I don’t think the Dahan being expendable is weird. Its definitely a case by case basis on the attitude of the spirits and evolves within the game as Tekopo mentions, which I think is very apparent in the theming of the cards and spirits. Volcanoes and such don’t care what’s in the way, while things like Shadows are much more dependent on Humanity existing to give the spirit form.

Ragnar34 posted:

I like how both these lessons could be summed up as gently caress 'Em.

That is what I was going for :cheeky:

Fellis fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 14, 2023

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Fellis posted:

The important thing is the time scale I think. The Dahan are the humans of the land and, in time they could grow and alter the terrain on the level of Invaders, but it wouldn’t be immediate and scarring, and the spirits and land might evolve with them. The Invaders are showing up and clear-cutting, strip mining, and driving animals out of their habitats which blights the land and causes immediate response.

I think it also might be attitude, as there are cards that change Invaders to Dahan and vice versa. Like what is your disposition toward the land and living alongside the spirits?

I don’t think the Dahan being expendable is weird. Its definitely a case by case basis on the attitude of the spirits and evolves within the game as Tekopo mentions, which I think is very apparent in the theming of the cards and spirits. Volcanoes and such don’t care what’s in the way, while things like Shadows are much more dependent on Humanity existing to give the spirit form.

That is what I was going for :cheeky:

In the lore, when the Dahan showed up they did blight the land, but not on the industrial scale of the Invaders. The spirits fought back and the Dahan learned not to piss them off in the First Reckoning. There was a Second Reckoning that we don't know much about except that Grinning Trickster Stirs Up Trouble set it off "by telling the absolute truth in the worst manner possible" and that the Dahan don't think of the spirits as gods afterwards. Sounds to me like they learned how to kill spirits.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Poopy Palpy posted:

In the lore, when the Dahan showed up they did blight the land, but not on the industrial scale of the Invaders. The spirits fought back and the Dahan learned not to piss them off in the First Reckoning. There was a Second Reckoning that we don't know much about except that Grinning Trickster Stirs Up Trouble set it off "by telling the absolute truth in the worst manner possible" and that the Dahan don't think of the spirits as gods afterwards. Sounds to me like they learned how to kill spirits.

Grinning Trickster is my favorite spirit, lore-wise.

He has my favorite card in the game: Overenthusiastic Arson.

He's my third favorite terms of gameplay, behind Many Minds (swooping about causing havoc) and Ocean (drowning fools).

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

ConfusedUs posted:

Grinning Trickster is my favorite spirit, lore-wise.

He has my favorite card in the game: Overenthusiastic Arson.

He's my third favorite terms of gameplay, behind Many Minds (swooping about causing havoc) and Ocean (drowning fools).

There is an appropriate amount of enthusiasm for arson, Trickster, and this is simply too much!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Poopy Palpy posted:

Is there a good consolidated place to read all the lore? I primarily play on the Steam App, so I guess if it's in the rulebooks, I'd have to go find the PDFs.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Toshimo posted:

Is there a good consolidated place to read all the lore? I primarily play on the Steam App, so I guess if it's in the rulebooks, I'd have to go find the PDFs.

Most of it is from spirit panels and crowdfunding previews of spirits, all of which is collected here: https://spiritislandwiki.com/index.php?title=Lore#tab=null

There's also a lore tab on all the invader pages on the wiki if you want to learn about who married someone different and why that led to a world with more colonial powers.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
oh god dangit I just noticed that my pledge includes the tokens so it won't be in the early-early shipment heading out next week. Please post in the thread when y'all get yours though because I'm really pumped about this expansion!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I'm just over the moon with how well this game has gone over with the family. We're vacationing together and the game is at the table for the fourth night in a row.

Looks like I'm picking up JE in time for the next family gathering cause I'm stuck not playing tonight's game after dad decided he wants in and I can't bring myself to bump out any of the other new players (they're so excited!), haha.

Dad is playing his first game as Keeper. Goonspeed (I will be there to help)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
People in the Spirit Island Discord have just now started posting that they are receiving shipping notifications! Earliest seen so far is Friday - strongly likely that we'll have full spoilers on the contents of the NI by the end of the week!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
:siren: spoilers are live on the discord :siren:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Anyone want to pass along any juicy spoilers for us non-discord people?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

I pulled Unlock the Gates of Deepest Power last night vs England 6 and had all the symbols to activate it with a decent play, it pulled Instruments of their Own Ruin which immediately gave us a huge tempo swing and after a few turns I assembled this:

drat Nature, u scary

Partner was playing Lightning’s Swift Strike and we were playing Blitz per our campaign scenario, so was not a typical game (I don’t think the invader’s 1-turn headstart is equivalent to the major buff that Spirits get the whole game, especially with LSS/ASoRG), but drat it was still very tough and every turn was a puzzle of how not to die immediately

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Horizons of Spirit Island will be launching on all platforms on June 29th! Wishlist it on Steam here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2419040/Spirit_Island__Horizons_of_Spirit_Island/

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Impermanent posted:

:siren: spoilers are live on the discord :siren:

Ugh, I may have to buy this sooner than I thought.

SettingSun posted:

I'd help but I'm on my phone and my laptop is busted.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

What kind of spoilers are there? I didn't expect to see that type of discussion regarding a board game.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

ovenboy posted:

What kind of spoilers are there? I didn't expect to see that type of discussion regarding a board game.

it's like how people use the word spoilers to refer to full card lists from upcoming mtg sets. it just means all the details of the new stuff, down to photos of the cards etc.

I've played a game with wandering voice keens delirium and ember eyed behemoth now and wow they're both very fun. wandering voice hits a lot of really good notes that shroud does for me but in a very different way.

I really want to see the complete bullshit that the incarna spirits can get up to when paired with Finder, too.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

I see! I guess I don't really care much about spoilers in general, so I didn't realize it was a thing in this context.
I just got Jagged Earth though, played like three or four games, so NI is probably pretty far off for me.
What made those spirits fun, new takes on the spirit board, new mechanics etc?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Impermanent posted:

it's like how people use the word spoilers to refer to full card lists from upcoming mtg sets. it just means all the details of the new stuff, down to photos of the cards etc.

I've played a game with wandering voice keens delirium and ember eyed behemoth now and wow they're both very fun. wandering voice hits a lot of really good notes that shroud does for me but in a very different way.

I really want to see the complete bullshit that the incarna spirits can get up to when paired with Finder, too.

Finder enables complete bullshit with EVERYONE. The little bird is my favorite spirit to play in big games because it's all about "what do YOU need this turn?"

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah when I heard there were spoilers about I just take that to mean someone has the box and can tell me all the cool stuff in there that didn't make it into any of the crowdfund updates.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I want the aspects so much. I'm surprised how restrained the Shroud one is, though. I'd heard that it was super good, but the presence movement feels less interesting than the old rule without being much stronger, and isolate is an effect I don't see having that much of an impact on Shroud's usual approach.

I guess I should just try it out and see what the difference is. Imo, Shroud's weakness is that it's at the mercy of the decks. A couple of ineffectual fear cards or bad blight card can cost you the game even at mid-level difficulties. I figured the aspect would have to help with that and the isolate is the closest thing I see to a defensive tool, so that part must be pretty impactful.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Oh poo poo yeah I gotta look up those juicy aspects. BoDaN particularly...

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ragnar34 posted:

I want the aspects so much. I'm surprised how restrained the Shroud one is, though. I'd heard that it was super good, but the presence movement feels less interesting than the old rule without being much stronger, and isolate is an effect I don't see having that much of an impact on Shroud's usual approach.

I guess I should just try it out and see what the difference is. Imo, Shroud's weakness is that it's at the mercy of the decks. A couple of ineffectual fear cards or bad blight card can cost you the game even at mid-level difficulties. I figured the aspect would have to help with that and the isolate is the closest thing I see to a defensive tool, so that part must be pretty impactful.

Isolate does help patch one of Shroud's pain points, since it means you can leave wounded buildings and not have to worry about them being a source of new explorers.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Ragnar34 posted:

A guaranteed free isolate every turn is quite good.

- You can try and snipe an Explore to completely solve a Build+Ravage, which is fantastic when it works : it's better to try this when you're reaching the end of an enemy stage as it limits the number of lands that can come out. For example, this works 50% of the time on turn 3 with most adversaries (ignoring events).
- A more consistent and IMO better way to block explorers is to create a pocket of empty inland lands (usually 7 and 8) by pushing most buildings and isolating whatever's left so that explorers can't spawn. If there's only one source of building next to several inland regions, then isolating those buildings is like putting wilds on all those regions for this turn.
- Isolate is also great against adversaries like England, Scotland, Habsburg...

This aspect is definitely stronger than base Shroud, which is a good thing since it was slightly undertuned to begin with.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I'm running with Behemoth on lower difficulties at the moment, but I can easily see this becoming my favorite spirit. For a "slow" spirit it's able to spread quickly, empower its incarna early, prevent builds reliably, and pick off the sites that do build up. I'm really excited to see how it ends up playing in multiplayer once my physical copy arrives.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

SettingSun posted:

This seems to have just about everything:
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/305922/spirit-island-nature-incarnate-now-we-know-everyth

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I have no idea how but one of these days I'd like a spirit of ice. I guess it's have to be a whole other expansion set on an island much further from the equator, with maybe another spirit of fishing or whales, and an alternate tribe to the Dahan with slightly different mechanics.

So like if Eric could get working on that soon, that'd be good

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 24, 2023

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to miss tipping point, is that weird? I'm usually a little relieved to see it. There are much worse things in that deck. It hits some spirits harder than others of course, so maybe the problem is that it can be unfair.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ragnar34 posted:

I have no idea how but one of these days I'd like a spirit of ice. I guess it's have to be a whole other expansion set on an island much further from the equator, with maybe another spirit of fishing or whales, and an alternate tribe to the Dahan with slightly different mechanics.

So like if Eric could get working on that soon, that'd be good

There is an ever-melting glacier on top of a mountain that feeds River Surges in Sunlight...

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

When a card is “retired”, I guess that means it’s not used anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

AweStriker posted:

When a card is “retired”, I guess that means it’s not used anymore?

Yeah, designer's intent is you pull it from your set and don't use it any more -- sometimes they replace cards with a better balanced version, sometimes they just retire something bad