Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Men with a mix of equipment are taking positions outside the MoD building in Rostov.
https://twitter.com/CalibreObscura/status/1672427174651998208?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

ummel posted:

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1672426443735805952
(Edit for 2nd tweet)

I'd like to tag myself as the civilian taking a video directly behind the tanks pointing their barrels at the southern military district headquarters. (Edit- I don't know what that building is, for the record)

Well, okay then, I'm willing to start believing that Wagner really is attempting some kind of putsch.

Also, I'm beer-belly spiderman taking a smoke break on the corner and watching all this.

e:

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1672427025284341765

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 24, 2023

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Realistically, how likely is this coup to actually succeed if Wagner really is in Rostov?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Willo567 posted:

Realistically, how likely is this coup to actually succeed if Wagner really is in Rostov?

Willo, before you post we all really need you to stop and ask yourself: "is this likely something some random idiots on something awful dot com would know?"

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Willo567 posted:

It will not. This is a hail mary pass before Priggy got removed. The question is how far he will get, in terms of actually fighting, before one of his lieutenants calls it a day and turns him over.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Scrawny dude in a polo shirt and khakis sitting at a desk sighs, stands up, walks across the room, and presses the reset button on the "x days since the last coup attempt" sign

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Another angle from R-o-D:

https://twitter.com/ThomasVLinge/status/1672429529191571457

That's, uh, actually a lot of troops.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

RockWhisperer posted:

Don't they need to be combat ready and off of the trailer considering they could be ambushed along the highway? I seriously don't know and am just asking.

Depends on what ambushes you. Source : I was in such a fight. (Don't try ambushing a column of tanks on trucks unless you can handle a lot of machineguns fire. Also 40 machineguns firing at once makes a lot of light.)

That said, yes you'd want to clear the route before putting armor on trucks. I don't know that Wagner has significant armored elements, though . They're mostly light infantry. They don't even seem to have much organic artillery, other than mortars.

If Progizhin manages to get support from Russian military officers who matter, then this might be more than a sideshow. I'm not a Kremlinilogist but I'd be surprised if Shoigu doesn't have firm control over his military.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Willo567 posted:

Somewhere between "more likely than if Wagner forces hadn't reached Rostov yet," and "less likely than if they had already conquered Moscow."

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
In an irony of irony Wagner will take Moscow in three days.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

Another angle from R-o-D:

https://twitter.com/ThomasVLinge/status/1672429529191571457

That's, uh, actually a lot of troops.

That second photo is just so strange:

... Someone with a rifle in front taking aim, and two civilians in shorts and sandals in background.

the other hand
Dec 14, 2003

43rd Heavy Artillery Brigade
"Ultima Ratio Liberalium"

RockWhisperer posted:

Don't they need to be combat ready and off of the trailer considering they could be ambushed along the highway? I seriously don't know and am just asking.

I’m very far from expert on this so if anyone knows better, please jump in.

I think strikes on convoys moving along the road are most likely to come via missiles or airstrikes. Artillery can be a threat too, but I’m not sure that the Russian interior would have had the opportunity to get that set up.
Against those sort of threats, my understanding is that having a tank scooting around on its own wouldn’t provide much advantage.

Once they get close to fortified positions, I imagine they’d offload the tanks.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I wonder what this means for the counter offensive in Ukraine if Wagner truly pulled out of Russia. Seems like it would be a pretty significant weakening of Russia's forces.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Willo567 posted:

Things like this poo poo start growing like a wildfire. With more and more of Prigozhin's reality becoming concrete with these military movements and not just on the internet, people begin to reevaluate where they are and begin to join in.

As for Rostov, Rostov is a major, maybe the most critical, logistics hub for the war against Ukraine, since it not only supplies both the Donbass republics, but also the southern front via Crimea. I'd imagine if there's fighting there or a mutiny among the RUAF and the Rosgvardia, then things will breakdown fairly quickly.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

So where is that turret pointed at?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Man, they weren't kidding about being poorly outfitted with gear. Just :lol: at the dude in the blue tshirt.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Shoigu's corner office, inshallah.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Just apropos of nothing : when was the last time we had proof of life on Putin? I.e. him doing a thing we can be sure happened, not a released statement or a generic video or whatever.

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018

OddObserver posted:

That second photo is just so strange:

... Someone with a rifle in front taking aim, and two civilians in shorts and sandals in background.

Talking to my veteran friends, war is very strange. You'll have the most oblivious people involved in combat zones.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm guessing the MoD building. It'd be a different vibe if they were pointing their guns outward but they aren't.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Gerasimov's office. :v:

Efb

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

KillHour posted:

Man, they weren't kidding about being poorly outfitted with gear. Just :lol: at the dude in the blue tshirt.

I had to double-take when I first saw that, because these guys look like airsofters in their mixed gear. Some have steel helmet, some have Western-like kevlar, there's the guy in the blue t-shirt. These have to be Wagner guys.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

ummel posted:

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1672426443735805952
(Edit for 2nd tweet)

I'd like to tag myself as the civilian taking a video directly behind the tanks pointing their barrels at the southern military district headquarters. (Edit- I don't know what that building is, for the record)

If you look carefully here someone has placed bricks to incite violence to discredit wagner.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Apparently Wagner troops entering the MoD building
https://nitter.net/avindman/status/1672428255897608198?t=gPYUDbEVxd53InjbAfqi5A&s=46#m

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Just apropos of nothing : when was the last time we had proof of life on Putin? I.e. him doing a thing we can be sure happened, not a released statement or a generic video or whatever.

You probably won't have to wonder for long since if he's not incapacitated, he's going to be apoplectic about this.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1672431977503367168

Well that was fast.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

There's been some convincing clarification this just taking the block, nobody's in yet.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

There was probably no resistance. Gerasimov and Shoigu are probably not there, either.

I guess the civil war is on.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
:stare: When I saw this stuff trending on Twitter earlier today, I thought it was just nonsense. Can't imagine Wagner succeeds but if they fail, I guess that's one less tool for Putin at least.

Weird that none of the U.S. news channels seem to be covering this, even though it's the headline story on CNN's website.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

To put this in perspective, this is like Blackwater mercenaries surrounding the Pentagon and walking in the front door without resistance.

Some poo poo is extremely going down.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Yeah that's what we're gonna see. Either this is going to escalate or flame out quickly. Prigozhin probably actually knows the situation of the military units, and they're all tied up in Ukraine right now. I really don't see how this succeeds with such comparatively low manpower but stranger things have happened. I think if he survives a week then an actual successful coup isn't 0%. The longer he lives and is doing a rebellion the weaker and out of control the government looks.

the other hand
Dec 14, 2003

43rd Heavy Artillery Brigade
"Ultima Ratio Liberalium"

Young Freud posted:

As for Rostov, Rostov is a major, maybe the most critical, logistics hub for the war against Ukraine, since it not only supplies both the Donbass republics, but also the southern front via Crimea. I'd imagine if there's fighting there or a mutiny among the RUAF and the Rosgvardia, then things will breakdown fairly quickly.

Does anyone have a sense of how long Russian front line positions can keep operating with any effectiveness if the Rostov hub is shut down?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they're betting on the low morale of Russias army to not want to intervene?

Idk this is all very uncharted territory, gonna be a crazy next few days I guess.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

KillHour posted:

To put this in perspective, this is like Blackwater mercenaries surrounding the Pentagon and walking in the front door without resistance.

Less the Pentagon and more CENTCOM, but now I'm splitting hairs.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

KillHour posted:

Considering the equivalent of the Pentagon would be in Moscow, isn’t this more like a regional military HQ in Atlanta or something?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

KillHour posted:

I'd say more like Blackwater rolling up to MacDill Air Force Base and strolling into CENTCOM.

e: beaten

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Wagner will absolutely need some proper Russian troops flipping to him to have a chance at this, or just succeeding in a decapitation strike (which I don't think he's in the right spot to pull off).

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

this is loving insane

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Turns out that the Russian army is the second best army in Russia.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Count on goons to take an understandable analogy and ruin it by being slightly more accurate but failing to take into account that only military nerds know what CENTCOM is and military nerds don't need the analogy to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Turns out that the Russian army is the second best army in Russia.