Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Eternal Radiance is an otherwise pretty good ARPG where the camera is constantly pointing up the protagonist's skirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Party Boat posted:

What even is up, you know?

Not much, you?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Natsuiro High School is a videogame about extremely low angle camera shots.

That's what you meant?

is this that yandere simulator game I heard about?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

ultrafilter posted:

Eternal Radiance is an otherwise pretty good ARPG where the camera is constantly pointing up the protagonist's skirt.

Point of order, that appears to be looking down at her skirt and the OP asked to be looking up.

The entire Atelier series has this exact same "staring at a short skirt" problem and I haven't been able to play them since I noticed because the MC is usually a young teenager :(

Neir has a lot of weird forced camera angles. Judging by the screenshots, they're almost all looking up at a short skirt too. No idea if that holds true in gameplay because I've never been tempted to play it.

Hmm, trying to be helpful, if OP is looking for upward camera angles to make enemies seem bigger and more menacing, maybe the various Monster Hunter games would be a good fit? Aren't most of the dinosaurs larger than the MC?

LLSix fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 21, 2023

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm in the mood for a really crunchy RPG. Something where every Level up means some hard choices when it comes to making your character.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm in the mood for a really crunchy RPG. Something where every Level up means some hard choices when it comes to making your character.

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Thanks for the recommendations y'all, I asked mostly out of curiosity. One time I leveled a character in WoW by zooming in to 3rd person action game camera levels and keeping the camera angle low, looking up at the dungeons and ceilings and stuff, and it was a very different game. A low camera angle looking upward really adds a sense of scale to a game in a way that's pretty unexpected since any time a game gives me camera control I immediately zoom out as far as I can and look straight down :v: So I'm interested in games that do weird things in general

BigRed0427 posted:

Battle Brothers!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/365360/Battle_Brothers/

If a turn-based, squad-based mercenary sim RPG is what you're looking for then I don't think you can get a more distilled version of "meaningful character development choices with realistic weight". Very strict but fair combat mechanics, a super heavy degree of causality, and meaty character development systems. There are some solid mods that add even more complexity/decision making/flexibility to character development if you want more.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 21, 2023

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

BigRed0427 posted:

Here's a handy checklist of all the reasonably solid CRPGs I know/can remember offhand, figure you may have played most of them already if you're into crunchy RPGs.

-Wizardry 6-8 (the earlier games were a touch simpler IIRC and also really show their age)
-Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale/Planescape: Torment
-Pillars of Eternity/Tyranny
-Torment: Tides of Numenera
-Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
-Neverwinter Nights
-Temple of Elemental Evil (with the Circle of Eight overhaul mods; it's barely playable without them)
-Shadowrun Returns/Dragonfall/Hong Kong
-Pathfinder: Kingmaker/Wrath of the Righteous
-Fallout (pre-Bethesda)
-Solasta: Crown of the Magister
-Wasteland 2
-Age of Decadence (this one is perhaps too crunchy, in fact; I could tell the game had a lot of good work put into it but I also bounced entirely off its combat)

Also lots of people talk up Divinity: Original Sin and its sequel, so they could be worth a shot. I found the writing kind of off-putting, but they're certainly popular enough so you may like them despite my own personal dislike.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

LLSix posted:

Point of order, that appears to be looking down at her skirt and the OP asked to be looking up.

The stills in the store page are very carefully chosen, let me assure you.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

EclecticTastes posted:

Here's a handy checklist of all the reasonably solid CRPGs I know/can remember offhand, figure you may have played most of them already if you're into crunchy RPGs.

-Wizardry 6-8 (the earlier games were a touch simpler IIRC and also really show their age)
-Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale/Planescape: Torment
-Pillars of Eternity/Tyranny
-Torment: Tides of Numenera
-Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
-Neverwinter Nights
-Temple of Elemental Evil (with the Circle of Eight overhaul mods; it's barely playable without them)
-Pathfinder: Kingmaker/Wrath of the Righteous
-Fallout (pre-Bethesda)
-Solasta: Crown of the Magister
-Wasteland 2
-Age of Decadence (this one is perhaps too crunchy, in fact; I could tell the game had a lot of good work put into it but I also bounced entirely off its combat)

Also lots of people talk up Divinity: Original Sin and its sequel, so they could be worth a shot. I found the writing kind of off-putting, but they're certainly popular enough so you may like them despite my own personal dislike.

Humm, I've tried to play the Infinity engine games and Pillars of Eternity, but I keep bouncing off the combat. I kind of chalk it up to simply not growing up with it. I mostly played Turn based Jrpgs when I was younger and couldn't really handle the part based real time combat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Divinity: Original Sin II is an all-time classic, one of the GOAT CRPGs right up there with BG2 imho.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

EclecticTastes posted:

I wanted to like these so much. And I did with my tanky street sam build. I tried to do a squishy conjuring build and every encounter starts with opening a door and getting shot three times before you can do anything about it. And knowledge that it's going to happen doesn't help as you can't change who is going to open the door.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

BigRed0427 posted:

Humm, I've tried to play the Infinity engine games and Pillars of Eternity, but I keep bouncing off the combat. I kind of chalk it up to simply not growing up with it. I mostly played Turn based Jrpgs when I was younger and couldn't really handle the part based real time combat.

You can set the Infinity Engine games to auto-pause at the end of a round, if you want finer control over the flow of combat, though that's about the only other option, and the second Pillars game introduced an experimental turn-based mode. Everything else on the list either is turn-based, or has the option to be turn-based, IIRC (might be misremembering in the case of Neverwinter Nights).

Also if you think you might like a really crunchy JRPG, give Metal Max Returns a shot. Aeon Genesis did a great fan translation, a core part of the gameplay is customizing the party's tanks, and it has a ton of features that were years ahead of their time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

BigRed0427 posted:

You should absolutely try one of the Pathfinder games; they can be set to a very good turn-based combat.
Divinity: Original Sin 2 is is an absolutely fantastic game with the best turn-based combat I've ever seen in an RPG but I wouldn't really call its RPG system "crunchy".

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I don't know if there's any universal definition of what a "crunchy RPG" is but I take it to mean a lot of complex interlocking systems that combine in unique and sometimes surprising ways, at which DOS2 certainly excels.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Also if one starts DOS2 right now there's enough time to finish it before Baldur's Gate 3 comes out

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the crunchiest rpg of all is microsoft excel

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I don't know if there's any universal definition of what a "crunchy RPG" is but I take it to mean a lot of complex interlocking systems that combine in unique and sometimes surprising ways, at which DOS2 certainly excels.

If by interlocking systems you mean "how many ways you can try to keep the fire covering the whole map from being cursed every turn" then yes. Yes, I just beat the Blackpits fight, why do you ask?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DOS2 is easily the best game in the genre and everything being on fire after every encounter owns.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah I can recommend a bunch of other grognard poo poo I love like Knights of the Chalice or Temple of Elemental Evil or Dark Sun Shattered Lands but honestly everyone should at least try DOS2.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

If by interlocking systems you mean "how many ways you can try to keep the fire covering the whole map from being cursed every turn" then yes. Yes, I just beat the Blackpits fight, why do you ask?

Are you not entertained?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The thing that DoS2 does really really well is make you feel like you're getting away with something. There are so many ways to game encounters without doing glitchy poo poo (like positioning people in stealth before the fight) or move around the game world with teleports and movement skills, that you feel like you're breaking something or pulling one over on the game. But you aren't, the game is built around expecting you to do silly poo poo all the time. It makes you feel like a genius and it rocks. Convincing a group of guys that you are actually supposed to be there before fixing the oil barrel filler and surrounding them in 40 barrels and blowing them up in one turn is hilarious, as is teleporting a boss away from his minions and killing him easily.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The thing that DoS2 does really really well is make you feel like you're getting away with something. There are so many ways to game encounters without doing glitchy poo poo (like positioning people in stealth before the fight) or move around the game world with teleports and movement skills, that you feel like you're breaking something or pulling one over on the game. But you aren't, the game is built around expecting you to do silly poo poo all the time. It makes you feel like a genius and it rocks.

All of the abilities have a ton of different interactions with the environment or other abilities too, which lets you do cool poo poo all the time. It's so good.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

All of the abilities have a ton of different interactions with the environment or other abilities too, which lets you do cool poo poo all the time. It's so good.

Plenty of opportunity to gently caress up super hard and make things harder for yourself too. Forgetting that the fire is cursed and trying to douse it with rain, leading to a giant cloud of cursed steam that prevents healing while ALSO still being cursed fire lmao

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Plenty of opportunity to gently caress up super hard and make things harder for yourself too. Forgetting that the fire is cursed and trying to douse it with rain, leading to a giant cloud of cursed steam that prevents healing while ALSO still being cursed fire lmao

That's something that improves my experience with the game immensely. Most of the time when I play a turn-based RPG I feel like I'm either playing optimally (or at least optimally enough that it's effortless), which is boring because I don't have to think anymore, or the game is RNG-based and there's only so much I can do to improve my results.

DoS2 on the other hand does not use RNG (for anything that matters) but it has so many complex interactions that at no point am I feeling like I can stop thinking because I have solved the combat.
Once you start relaxing, you'll overlook some weird interaction and suddenly everything is on fire. Literally.

It's great.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I'm looking for an RPG with a timing system like the Trails games. This is turn based, but turns aren't distributed evenly. When your next turn comes up depends on stats and the ability you use, and it can be manipulated by buffs and debuffs. The FFT games do this too. However, I want to make my own main character. Anything like that around?

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

pun pundit posted:

I'm looking for an RPG with a timing system like the Trails games. This is turn based, but turns aren't distributed evenly. When your next turn comes up depends on stats and the ability you use, and it can be manipulated by buffs and debuffs. The FFT games do this too. However, I want to make my own main character. Anything like that around?

FFX, but you solo it with Kimahri.
It's been a while since I've played it, but Crystal Project is like that I think.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

pun pundit posted:

Child of Light does this, but no custom characters.

FF5 has this basic concept, and all of the characters are thoroughly customizable, but it's not terribly well-communicated exactly how things work or when each character's turn is about to come up.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My friend just got his first gaming PC, coming from PS5. Skyrim is his favorite game and he's super excited he'll get to play Starfield.

But it got me thinking, with so may titles being cross platform these days, what are the "must haves" in PC exclusives, particularly stuff that's several years old and thus relatively cheap.

One title that leaps out to be is the first Firaxis X-Com, was that on console? Feels like a quintessential PC game to me but actually it'd work fairly well on a controller.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
PC gets you access to a ton of smaller games made by dev teams that didn't have the resources/interest to port to console. Are you interested in that type of game? For example: Noita, Cryptark, Hotline Miami, Nuclear Throne, Caves of Qud, Baba Is You.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I'd welcome any indie recommendations, too. Fffffuck I love Nuclear Throne, easily my all time cult classic that I'm always pushing on people, good pick.

I guess I'm looking for "What's a personal top five for great games that can probably be bought for $20 or less each and that are only on PC/Steam, not console".

I'll throw a list out there, but the whole reason I posted was so people could help me remember stuff I'll otherwise forget about.

1. Xcom 1
2. Nuclear Throne
3. Total Warhammer (maybe? It's just a big price point to get to the point where you could play Immortal Empires
4. Modded Morrowind
5. Crusader Kings II

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 24, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The new xcom games were definitely on console FWIW. Though IDK if xcom 1 means "the first xcom game" or "the game before xcom 2" in this context

IDK about rankings or about what kinds of genres he likes but here's some other great PC-only games on top of the ones TooMuchAbstraction mentioned:
Dwarf Fortress
Caves of Qud
the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series
Antichamber (it's a great weird puzzle game)
Environmental Station Alpha

He can also jump into the world of skyrim & fallout mods. Try out A Tale of Two Wastelands, the mod that combines Fallout3 and New Vegas.

If he's a sicko he can try out some pc-only online games like path of exile, warframe, or dota & league of legends

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The new xcom games were definitely on console FWIW. Though IDK if xcom 1 means "the first xcom game" or "the game before xcom 2" in this context

XCOM = Modern
X-COM = Classic
I'm like 30% kidding.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

30%? I like those odds.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'd mentioned Firaxis in the first post yeah, he's 21 so I don't know how much he's going to want to play Old poo poo, but Modded Morrowind might be an exception since he loves Skyrim.

As for being a sicko, aside from Starfield the game he most wants to play is some flight sim I've barely hears of, DCS or something. I vaguely get the impression it's like a more grounded WoP or War Thunder?

He lives somewhere with Satellite internet so what I really need to do is find him turn based multiplayer. Shame that total Warhammer only allows for 2 people.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The Civilization games are a lot more playable on PC than on console, are turn-based, and support multiplayer.

If he likes flight sims, he should check out Sky Rogue, Tiny Combat Arena, and Project Wingman.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Disco Elysium goes on sale for $10 all the time. Pretty sure it's on sale now with the GOG summer sale.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'd mentioned Firaxis in the first post yeah, he's 21 so I don't know how much he's going to want to play Old poo poo, but Modded Morrowind might be an exception since he loves Skyrim.

As for being a sicko, aside from Starfield the game he most wants to play is some flight sim I've barely hears of, DCS or something. I vaguely get the impression it's like a more grounded WoP or War Thunder?

He lives somewhere with Satellite internet so what I really need to do is find him turn based multiplayer. Shame that total Warhammer only allows for 2 people.

DCS is a study flight sim, which involves reading manuals and flicking a shitton of switches before being able to take off. Individual planes are the price of a full game, same with maps.

If that's the stuff he's quite into, I'd also recommend IL-2 Great Battles, which is a proper flight sim like DCS but without a clickable cockpit.

I'd also just straight up recommend the Xbox Game Pass. Wonderful for finding what you like in PC gaming with minimal hassle.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I'm sitting on a flight back to the US from Paris and I got a weird hankering to play a legit god game cuz it's been way too long. Something like Populous or Black and White.

Is there any modern(ish) release that can scratch that itch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ElectricSheep posted:

I'm sitting on a flight back to the US from Paris and I got a weird hankering to play a legit god game cuz it's been way too long. Something like Populous or Black and White.

Is there any modern(ish) release that can scratch that itch?

the modern release of that specific line of games is called Godus, same designer as populous and black and white. i have it on ipad but havent got super deep into it. seems ok, very superficial. and its infected by "free to play" bullshit

there was a different sort of god game called "From Dust" a few years back that i quite enjoyed. sort of a god game/puzzle game combo. definitely reminiscent of Populous

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 25, 2023