Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Am I right that no matter who prevails in this internal grudge match, it’s not going to affect Russia’’s desire to keep fighting in Ukraine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Popete posted:

I'm not sure I buy Prigohzin stance that he's just after Shoigu and is upset at how incompetently the war is being run (although that is probably part of it). Let's say he accomplishes removing Shoigu then what? I can't really see Putin being happy with this insurrection and letting him return back to the front like nothing happened.
Prigohzin's power within Russia was about to be removed. All PMCs were supposed to be absorbed into the military by July 1st and without it he has nothing, he can't exactly go to another country with his wealth so he probably is making a gamble even though the outcome is probably bad.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Nelson Mandingo posted:

If Prigozhin gets his pound of flesh he's pretty much the actual leader of Russia. The idea Putin isn't on TV right now condemning this, trying to suppress this has me asking questions.

Maybe the discussion in Rostov is to find out wtf Prigozhin would accept to return to barracks. If "fire Shoigu" is enough, Putin might decide it's cheaper to fire a possibly unpopular defense minister, so maybe coming out on TV attacking the insurrection isn't the best plan? If, bizarrely, Prigozhin is seen as a popular figure...

But yeah staying silent erodes your position*real* fast.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Eric Cantonese posted:

Am I right that no matter who prevails in this internal grudge match, it’s not going to affect Russia’’s desire to keep fighting in Ukraine?

Yes, that’s correct. Prigozhin just wants to be the one calling the shots in Ukraine. See also him single handedly making Bakhmut the main focus of Russian campaigning over the last ~8 months in order to aggrandize his position and claim glory for Wagner.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

He can't exactly compromise on demands to replace a loyal commander with a Wagner-aligned one either. I assume there is silence because in a situation room somewhere people are weighting whether there's still any hope of de-escalating out of this.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Budzilla posted:

Prigohzin's power within Russia was about to be removed. All PMCs were supposed to be absorbed into the military by July 1st and without it he has nothing, he can't exactly go to another country with his wealth so he probably is making a gamble even though the outcome is probably bad.

Ah ok, makes a lot more sense with that context.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1672468948141391874

Does he have nukes?

https://twitter.com/AVindman/status/1672434767638437888

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

MeinPanzer posted:

Yes, that’s correct. Prigozhin just wants to be the one calling the shots in Ukraine. See also him single handedly making Bakhmut the main focus of Russian campaigning over the last ~8 months in order to aggrandize his position and claim glory for Wagner.

Is he one of the better commanders? If this ends up being a net positive for Russia’s war effort, that’d be sad.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Eric Cantonese posted:

I mean yes from what has been publicly stated, but I feel like this is really a who knows situation. I can easily see Prigozhin saying that Russia's war machine has been squandered and irreparably damaged by Shoigu, so they need to pull out for now.

Everything is so bizarre, I'm not counting anything out. I figured Prigozhin would be dead already, but here he is.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Doesn't Putin have their equivalent of the brief case and Prigozhin can't use them?

Chill Monster
Apr 23, 2014

Diogines posted:

Can someone who has a better understanding of the situation than I do, please explain the likelihood of this leading to (1)the Russian state imploding into anarchy

I'm an idiot on an internet forum so take what I say with a grain of salt.

One general historical trend is that regimes and leaders who depend on instability and infighting among the elite to maintain power tend to collapse violently (Porfirio Diaz of Mexico is my favorite example of this).

Putin very much depends on his subordinates being divided to maintain his power. This current infighting is the result of that.

As of today, I'd say the 5 year outlook for the current Russian government is extremely bad, and the chances of it getting replaced by something more functional aren't great.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

If Prigozhin gets his pound of flesh he's pretty much the actual leader of Russia. The idea Putin isn't on TV right now condemning this, trying to suppress this has me asking questions.

Say, has Jeffrey posted lately?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

Is he one of the better commanders? If this ends up being a net positive for Russia’s war effort, that’d be sad.

Instability is never good for your war effort. This is going to create enemies. It's undermining Putin's power. That's 3 helicopters and soldiers killed today that could have been used in the war. Etc.

So no, unless Prigozhin is literally about to get rid of all the corruption and graft in the russian side of the war I don't see them prosecuting it significantly better. And again, he'd basically be the leader of Russia at that point.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Ukraine is gonna capitalize on this asap, yeah?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Willo567 posted:

Doesn't Putin have their equivalent of the brief case and Prigozhin can't use them?

No, Prigozhin has the briefcase and he's launching twenty ICBMs directly at your balls.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Willo567 posted:

I wonder if this is a gimmick or legitimate mental illness?

Yes, the warlord Prigozhin has nukes now. I'm sorry, Willow.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Those Tom Clancy novels are looking more and more realistic by the hour!

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1672476452292263936

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I wonder if this is a gimmick or legitimate mental illness?

Yes, the warlord Prigozhin has nukes now. I'm sorry, Willow.

I am not worried about that, I was only responding because I don't think he can use them even if he has them.

Besides, he was calling out dipshits like Solovyov for wanting to use tactical nukes in response to the Kremlin drone attack in early May.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Ukraine is gonna capitalize on this asap, yeah?

We'll call them up.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Willo567 posted:

Bad news willo, the nukes are inbound to willotown right now. don't look out the window, hurry get under the couch and tuck in your nutsack

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

6.5hr drive from Voronezh to Moscow. Google tells me, however, that this route has tolls (!), so that may slow up the convoy if they don't want to get a ticket in the mail.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Surly taking 25000 men out of the front line is going to allow Ukraine a chance to break through a lot easier.

Where's Brown Moses and a geo-location when you need him.

Emsee
Jun 17, 2005
Hmm...

MeinPanzer posted:

I'm curious about how that gels with him starting the day by saying that the justification for the war was all lies and negotiation was the way forward.

Not that hypocrisy is a fatal flaw in these situations. Though trying to get people on side by saying their comrades/family were sent to their deaths under false pretences doesn't seem to imply that he would be eager to keep it going long term.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
about how far are they from moscow by tank?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

mutata posted:

6.5hr drive from Voronezh to Moscow. Google tells me, however, that this route has tolls (!), so that may slow up the convoy if they don't want to get a ticket in the mail.

Putin's master plan to slow them down:

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

https://twitter.com/StateOfUkraine/status/1672479360723345408

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Comstar posted:

Surly taking 25000 men out of the front line is going to allow Ukraine a chance to break through a lot easier.

Where's Brown Moses and a geo-location when you need him.

Bellingcat's here. Brown Moses last posted in May, and last posted in the thread in late April. This may have been related to the modloss.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1672466220988129281?s=20

Pictured: the head of Wagnar has his gun. The commander of the southern command and deputy defence minister does not.

Conclusion: they are now his prisoners.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Is there a source for this footage besides your Tweet? I don't recognize it

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1672481838890209281
finally

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

Willo567 posted:

"Russian propagandists."

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1672479911980724225

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Willo567 posted:

You can see huge red traffic lines in that area on google maps rn. They haven’t turned off live view. It looks like Kyiv did back in feb when Russian columns were moving down major highways before they took down the traffic monitor. I assumed it was Russian military or cops moving south though

From the tip of the road closure google maps gives 5 hours to moscow in a normal car

ethanol fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 24, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
there's a pretty good post in the gbs thread about nukes

tldr there's no particular reason to be worried about prigozhin stealing them in his revolt (at least unless he wins and becomes the new head of state)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4026289&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=464#post532734622

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Emsee posted:

I'm curious about how that gels with him starting the day by saying that the justification for the war was all lies and negotiation was the way forward.

Not that hypocrisy is a fatal flaw in these situations. Though trying to get people on side by saying their comrades/family were sent to their deaths under false pretences doesn't seem to imply that he would be eager to keep it going long term.

The situation is complex, but Prigozhin is basically best understood as a warlord. He performed a service for Putin by creating a mercenary arm of the military that could do a lot of dirty work for the regime and for it he was rewarded with a considerable amount of leeway in how he used those forces. Like any power player in these kinds of situations, he’d probably like to take supreme power if he could, but for now he’s using anything at his disposal to save his own hide.
Prigozhin has been butting heads with Shoigu and the top brass basically since the war began, but a few things have changed recently:

1) the only real notable Russian advance in Ukraine, the strategically insignificant victory over Bakhmut, was his pet project. He threw huge amounts of Wagner manpower at it.

2) He has been complaining constantly about how he can’t get enough ammunition and other supplies, and basically has been claiming that the MoD has been hamstringing Wagner because they make the rest of the army look bad.

3) There have been open conflicts between Wagner and regular army troops, particularly escalating violence by Wagner troops in an effort to take control of sectors and materiel.

This all undoubtedly led to:

4) Putin moving over the last couple of months to fold Wagner into the regular army structure. This obviously poses a huge threat to Prigozhin, who is now touting himself as the true fighter for Russia. His line is basically, “Wagner has achieved victory in Bakhmut! See what we can do if we aren’t hamstrung by the corrupt thugs at the top? The war was compromised from the beginning by my enemies, but now I can eliminate them and restore glory to Russia.”

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Comstar posted:

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1672466220988129281?s=20

Pictured: the head of Wagnar has his gun. The commander of the southern command and deputy defence minister does not.

Conclusion: they are now his prisoners.
Is this translation legit?
https://twitter.com/SevaUT/status/1672467957828530176

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

he's just going to ramble on about trans people or something.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Does anyone know what Lukashenko's jet is doing? They turned off the transponder when they flew over Russia and turned it on when they left. They are now over Turkey.

https://twitter.com/officejjsmart/status/1672420961138757639

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
someone woke me up from a sound sleep with a text that things are popping off in russia

before i dig blearily dig into what's the details of the situation, is this something worth waking me up for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

That one loving tank they had in reserve for the victory day parade gonna be doing serious duty trying to cover all of moscow from an assault